Chapter 1

The "Hidden" Place

MONDAY 

Being a nerd isn't easy as everyone thinks it is. Sure you get good grades and chances of getting accepted to your dream college, but what comes with it is worse.

Bullying and abusing aren't just stereotypes. They are real as . And being at the receiving end of the line can go from bad to horrible in just a minute. I know this because I'm on that line. It all started in 4th grade when I got my first A+ and some of my classmates weren't happy with my succes. They started calling me names such as nerd, dweep, loser, lowlife and so on...But it wasn't that bad. The real started last year here at Hwarang-High. They started punching and throwing me into lockers, tripping me in the hallways and even threatening me if I didn't do their homework. It has become a routine. Wake up, go to school, get beaten up, go home, study, go to sleep.

I don't have friends nor a family who gives a damn about me. But I do have this special "hidden place" in the backyard where I spend most of my time listening to songs and leaning on a tree, while watching the green-brown leaves fall around me. I have never let anyone see my secret, because I made a promise to myself to not let a person set foot into revealing my true nature if he wasn't worth it. 

But there is this one person who makes my day at least 1% better. He makes all the flowers bloom with his smile. He makes the birds sing with his voice. He makes people fall in love with just one look. He makes the world melt with his touch. He's a rose between the thorns.

I, Park Chanyeol like Byun Baekhyun.

Everybody loves him. He's the most popular guy in the whole school. Of course he's a football player that makes girls and boys fall under his feet. You would think that because he's so cool and great, he would be the biggest jerk of them all. But he's not. He is the nicest person too. He always helps people in need and even though he has a girlfriend, he always accepts gifts that the other girls give him.  He just can't turn down a living soul, cause that's just the way he is. The sad truth is, he doesn't even know I exist. We have never talked or even looked eachother in the eye. Well, maybe because everytime I'm near him I just hide in the sea of people. I just don't want him to see what a loser I am. I'm not ready to be turned down.

And don't get me started on his girlfriend. She's the sweetest person out there. Her name is Taeyeon. They are the perfect fit for eachother. I can't even hate her. Oh my God, I sound like a teenage girl.

Anyway here I am in math class thinking about Byun, where I should be paying attention. I already know this stuff but extra practice won't hurt.                But how can I focus when he's sitting right in front of me? Even his backside is flawless. No, no, concentrate.

 

​​​​ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

~15 min later~ Ring!

Just when I was getting focused, the bell rang. Finally, school's over, the bullying is over (even though just for a day) and I can go home in peace...or so I thought.

"Chanyeol...can you come here for a minute?" Miss Choi called as the class emptied. But only one student stayed besides me. I went over to the math teacher with my head hanging low, so that I can't make eye contact with the said person standing next to me.

"You called Miss Choi...?" With a quick nod, she replied.

"Ah yes...well you see Chanyeol, Baekhyun here has problems with learning and understanding math. So I was hoping that the best student I've ever had could help him learn a thing or two." I looked around to see who she was talking about. As there was no one else, my eyes widened at the realization.

"Me...?" I said pointing to myself.

"Yes you." she giggled. "Please Chanyeol, you're my only hope. You're the smartest kid we have got and it would really help Mr. Byun get better grades. He won't get the football scholarship if he doesn't pass Math." I never thought it would come to this. I don't want to be his tutor, but I also don't want to let Miss Choi down. I guess it's the right thing to do.

"S-sure."

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Who would have thought that today I'd be standing in the hallway without getting kicked at. It's probably because there's THE Byun Baekhyun standing beside me talking to me about...something. Which reminds me...

".....so yeah what do you think?" He finished with the Oh so famous eye smile. It didn't occur to me that I didn't hear a single word he said. I was focusing on the thought that he was talking to me. Me!! He actually spoke real words in a form of a sentence to me. That's all I need.

"Y-yeah....It w-works for me." I gave him a cringe worthy smile. Great, now he'll think I'm a creep.

"Great!" He laughed with that melodic laugh of his that booms through the classrooms and makes every single person turn our way. I felt heat rush to my cheeks. But Baekhyun just giggled. Suddenly there was a girl yelling at us. I quickly turned to the source of the voice.

"Baekiee-boo where have you been? I have been waiting for you outside for like 15 minutes. Did you forg-....oh hello!" Taeyeon greeted and smiled charmingly while leacing her hands with Baekhyun's. "You must be my Baekie's classmate....Chanyeolk right? I'm Taeyeon, nice to meet you!" she said while putting her hand out for me to shake. I hesitantly shook her soft and warm hand.

"I-I am Ch-Chanyeol actually....Nice to meet you too..." I looked her in the eyes for a second and then quickly broke the contact. That's the first time I've looked someone in the eyes today. 

"Oh I'm sorry Chanyeol...I'm not so good with names.." she giggled and turned to Baekhyun. "Are you almost done?... I really want to go shopping for prom..." Prom? I forgot about prom? Oh well...it's not like I'm going.

"Yeah yeah...But we'll have to cut our shopping day short Tae. Chanyeol and I agreed to meet today for my first tutoring lesson." Oh that's what he was talking about earlier...wait WHAT!? I'm not ready!

"Ah bummer...well there is nothing I can do. I'll wait for you in the car. Again...It was nice meeting you Chanyeolk!" That was the last thing she said before she ran outside.

"Ahm...sorry for the name calling again. She's like really, really bad with names. Before we became a couple, she called me Bacon so....Chanyeolk's not so bad." That time I couldn't hold it. I smiled which didn't get unnoticed. "You're cute when you smile." He said and continued looking at me. I blushed and still refused to meet his eyes. I know that if Iook at him, I'll just blurt all my feelings out....and I can't afford that now that he is actually talking to me.

"Uhm t-thanks...uh what time do we meet a-again?" I found the floor captivating so I continued looking at it.

"I don't know yet...I don't want to rush you in any kind of way, so how about I give you my number and you call me when the time suits you?" He said hesitantly as if he wasn't sure if it's the right thing to say. Meanwhile I, was mentally screaming inside. I'm going to get his number! I'm going to get his number! Then I can text him goodnight and plan dates-....oh right, it's for tutoring. I'm just his tutor nothing more. I can't text him goodnight, because I don't have that privilege....I can't plan dates, because he's not mine. All I ever will be, is his tutor. Man, life .

"Uh yeah...we can do that." I silently applauded  myself for not stuttering.

"Okey-dokey then...Let me just get-......" He was searching all of his pockets. He finally found a pen. "You wouldn't happen to have a piece of paper on you, would you?" I shook my head. He scrunched up his nose a little. I would be melting at the cuteness of it, if it weren't for the next question that was asked.

"Can I grab your hand?" he shyly asked. I just stood there shocked while looking at my big feet. I didn't have the time to question the meaning of it, so I slowly lifted my right hand in mid-air. The moment his hand touched mine, there was this electric zap that pulled me closer to him. The way his warmth was radiating from his body and hand, made me feel all giggly inside. But the moment was over when I felt the loss of that warmth. I looked at my hand and saw pretty little numbers neatly scribbled on my wrist.

"There...now you can call me anytime." He put his pen back into his pocket. "I'm really sorry, but I have to go now. Don't forget to call though." he said while searching for my eyes. I briefly glanced at his face only to see that blinding smile. I quickly tried to recover.

"Uh...uhm yeah. Ah so see you later?" I asked just in case.

"Yeah see ya later...Bye Chanyeol!" He waved and continued walking to the exit without sparing a glance back at me.

It was at that moment I knew, I ed up. 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

It was 5pm in the afternoon and 2 hours past since I got home. My parents aren't home as usual which means I'm going to be alone with Baekhyun. I called him earlier to give him my address and to say that he's welcome anytime, so he got that as a message 'Okey cool, I'll be there in 15 minutes'. To say that I'm nervous as hell would be an understatement. I am physically and mentally wrecked. It's not every day I get guests. Especially not your crushes. So when I heard the door bell ring, it's completely understandable I threw my phone out the window. I went to the door to open it, only to be greeted by air. I confusedly looked around to see if someone was playing a prank, but no one was in sight. I was hallway closing the door when a voice from the bushes yelled 'Im here!'. Then Baekhyun emerged with my phone in one of his hands. When he asked me why I threw it, I panicked and said it fell into the toilet and it needed to freshen up. He looked at me weirdly for about a minute but safely he didn't guestion it.

Now here we are sitting on the floor in my bedroom solving mathematical equations.

"...then you multiply it with two and you get your x, which is five in our case." I finished with a determined smile.

"Oh my God, we've been doing this for two hours already and I still don't get it. Why is this so confusing?" he complained and sighed dramatically. Gosh, he's cute.

"You'll get it eventually. I didn't understand it either at first, but with a lot more studying, I got the hang of it." I explained while putting books back in order. "It's actually a lot like football...you've got multiple players which multiplies your strength and power and it brings you your x- a win or as you call it a touchdown." I explained furthermore and started stacking up books back on their shelves while back- facing Baekhyun.

"Wow...never thought of it like that. It makes sense. Now I fully understand why the teachers love you so much. You're a great tutor!" A blush creeped on my cheeks again, but luckily this time he couldn't see it.

"T-thanks. So I think we are done for tod-....woah!" I turned around and tripped on my own two lanky feet which caused me to fall forward. There was this loud thud that could be heard when I fell down. I closed my eyes out of instinct. A second later I opened my eyes to se the damage I caused, but I was only met with small brown droopy eyes looking back at me. That was the first time I've ever looked into his eyes. I also noticed a mole on the right corner of his kissable lips, which made him even more attractive. That cute little button nose that was only inches away from mine. I then came back to earth and realized what position we we're in. I was on top of him beetween his legs. I quickly moved off of him - and without having the time to think - grabbed his hand and pulled him back up. 

"...I'm so sorry Baekhyun, I shoud've watched my footing! God I'm such a loser! Why do I always hurt people?! You should go before I-"

"Calm down Chanyeol. It's okey, it was an accident. You're not a loser because of it, so stop scolding yourself. It's alright, okey?" he stared at me with so much sincerity, I thought I was going to break.

"Okey." We were so lost in eachother's eyes, I didn't notice we were still holding hands. We pulled away and awkwardly started staring at the ground.

"Uh I should get going, it's getting late." he said and packed up his stuff. I went downstairs with him to the door. "So I'll text you tomorrow to tell you my free days for the tutoring."

"Works for me."

"Okey then...see you at school Channie." with that said he left.

Did he just call me Channie?

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

TUESDAY 

I woke up feeling like any other day - sad and tired. But there was this pinch of happiness in me after remembering last nights events. But then again I remembered he has a girlfriend and that I have zero chances with him, which got me feeling upset. I got off the bed and headed to the bathroom. After stepping three steps, I tripped on something. Being the clumsy person I am, I thought I just stepped on my foot, but after looking at the floor, I saw a Maths book laying there. I picked it up and examined it. I knew it wasn't mine, since I already stacked my books away yesterday. I didn't want to admit it, but I was going to have to give it back, which meant I'd have to approach Baekhyun.

The walk to school was unusually peaceful this morning. I usually get laughing heads behind me. They would start to make fun of me or just be plain jerks. But no, not today (you see what I did there XD). I arrived to school just in time. The bell rang and I immediately went to class.

I thought about not returning the book to Baekhyun until our next study session, but then I remembered we have Maths after lunch. I spent the rest of class contemplating ways to approach him, but without success. So I just decided to do what I'm worst at - winging it.

It was finally lunch or you might say in my case - death hour. I skipped it because if not, I knew that the second I would get close to him, I wouldn't be able to hold my food down. That wouldn't be such a pretty sight. Okey, here goes nothing...or should I say everything?

So I was making my way through the main hall which lead to the cafeteria, when I saw him. The ghostly shiver in everyone's bones when they land their eyes on the bleached hair skinny giant, who kills cockroaches just by looking at them. It's no different with me - he scares the hell out of me. He's also the reason for my misery. The main bully who hurts me everyday mentally...and on his good days - physically. He enjoys seeing me in pain, he once said it makes his day better. That's not the worst part of it. He's this sick, cruel animal I once had a crush on. Yes I know...crazy right?

The thing is, he wasn't always like this. He just changed when Baekhyun came. Me and Kris never really talked or hung out before Byun's arrival. There were these occasional glances and humble greeting, but other than that nothing. Then it just switched and BAM - target alert. I don't even understand why me. I have never done anything to him...not that I remember. I just wish he would tell me what I did to deserve this and what to do to make it up to him, so that I can stop this bullying once and for all.

Well as I was saying, I was making my way to the cafeteria in hope of being ignored by the slight higher male, but knowing Kris, that wouldn't be possible. I fastened my pace and tried to quickly  walk pass him, but before I could even do that, he grabbed me by the back of my shoulders and pushed me towards the person in front. Books went flying in the air, while I did the opposite. I ended on the floor, on top of the previous person. I didn't have to open my eyes to see who it was. The electric feeling gave it away.

"You like being on top of me, huh?" Baekhyun teasingly smiled. I went off of him as fast as lighting.

"I'm so so sorry Baekhyun! I hurt you again! God how am I going to rep-"

"Yah Chanyeol calm down! I'm kidding! I know you're clumsy!" he giggled. "Did you step on your foot again?" I looked over my shoulder to see a glaring tower watching me, which probably ment 'If you tell him the truth, I will end you'.

"Something like that." I was surprised to feel a cold hand resting between my shoulder blades. It brang an uncomfortable feeling.

"Are you okey babe? Did you hurt yourself?" Kris sweetly asked while I just stared at his blank eyes.
He would always do that. Whenever there's somebody around us, he would act like we're a couple. Even with his budies.
Once I tried to explain to someone that we were not really together, Kris beat me up so bad, that I had to go to the hospital because of two broken ribs. So I've never really tried standing up to him again. 

"I'm fine." I coldly replied then faced the confused Baekhyun.

"Wait...are you two together?" I wanted to shout no's and never's till my throat went dry. But I couldn't.

"Y-yes." I answered brokenly. He seemed shocked and slightly uncomfortable and by all means not ready for the next action...well neither was I.

"Then I'm glad you're okey. But I gotta go babe. I have to meet with my friends. See ya later. Bye!" he said, then kissed me on the cheek. He smirked at our reactions then waived and slowly walked away. I felt so disgusted and unwanted.
But that wasn't the point. The main thing I was worried about was that Byun now knew I was attracted to men. Would he feel repulsed?

"Wow, you and Kris...that's a little surprising and weird." was his answer. I knew he'd be grossed out. He probably doesn't want me to tutor him anymore. I should've stayed away from him. I bent down to pick up the fallen books. Before I could crouch, hands lifted me back up.

"No, no, I didn't mean it like that! What I meant is, that I find it weird and surprising how Kris found you. I mean how can Kris- the most cocky guy in the whole school- the world too, get someone like you- is too humble for his own good, can't say no and is the sweetest living thing? It's amazing. I hope you change him a bit." he said and smiled. "Here, let me help you." He crouched down and started picking up the books. I wanted to help so I bent down as well. I saw there was just one book left so I went to grab it, but it seemed like he had the same idea, so I left it before our hands could touch. He thankfully didn't notice. He stopped and stared at the book. He recognized it and laughed.
"This math book is mine! So I was right, you did have it!"

"Y-yeah I was on my way to give it you, but now I don't have to." I sighed and relaxed now that I didn't have to talk to him first.

"Really? Well I noticed my book was missing so I wanted to go check the math's classroom for it, but finding you is much better." Did he really just say that?! What does that mean?!
"You know, I get to save up some time for searching it, now that I know it was with you all this time." Oh, so that's what he ment. What did I even expect?

"Well I'm glad you found it." With thoughts that the conversation was already over, I walked pass him. But a small hand wrapped itself around my wrist.

"Wait....are you free today? I really want your tutoring again since I still don't get a lot of it. And the test is already on Thursday. Can you squeeze me in for these two days?" His little pout and those puppy dog eyes really did things to me. Two days alone with him?

"Ah s-sure."

"Really?! What are we waiting for then? Let's go!" He gripped my hand tightly and started running. I nailed my feet to the ground and pulled him back. He confusedly turned around.

"B-but we still have classes." I stuttered, trying to let myself go from his grip. He seemed to come back to planet earth and let go instantly. A blush formed on his cheeks.

"R-right, silly me." was the only thing he said before running away.

What have I gotten myself into?

___________________________________________________

Part 2 - coming soon👌