005

He was a boy She was a girl
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Are they, aren’t they? That’s the question that’s big in the gossip circuit. The media has been fuelling the gossip about Yunho and Boa courtesy of the show’s producers who want to build some hype before the drama even starts filming. Yunho’s scores of fangirls can’t stop talking about the past fling of one of the top idols in the country. Apparently the available yet unattainable image is necessary when you debut, but it’s another thing when their favourite idol gets older. Now the fans are too interested in playing matchmaker and find the perfect woman for Yunho.

Jaejoong rolled her eyes as she saw a bunch of teens look at a gossip mag that has Yunho on the cover and argue about who is a better match for him between Go Ara and Boa. She doesn’t hate fans, but she doesn’t like the obsessive kind who think of idols as public property rather than humans with their own personal life.

She decided to just block it out as she entered the grocery store. It’s not the regular place she goes to. The one next to their apartment building has some U-know fans frequenting it ever since the dance school opened above it. So she went to the store in the opposite direction. So much more effort to get acquainted.

Jaejoong decided to it up and grabbed a cart. While she was picking strawberries (Yunho’s very particular about the strawberries), she heard some younger ladies by the beverages aisle whisper, “damn she’s pretty! Do you think she’s a model?” one said.

“Her eyes are so large. I’d kill for that.” The second one almost swooned

“! She’s not wearing any makeup.” The third gasped a little loudly that Jaejoong looked over at them. They quickly turned away and feigned not staring at her.

A person like Jaejoong is used to attention even if no one knows she’s an idol’s wife. She ignored them and went about her shopping. By the time she was done, the girls from earlier had just finished paying for their stuff. Jaejoong let the cashier bill her purchases as she called Yunho.

The group of girls had left, all except the last one. She turned around to get one last look of the pretty woman when she gasped.

“Hey! Are you busy?” Jaejoong is careful not to mention Yunho’s name in public, “are you coming for dinner tonight? How late? Okay. It’s fine by me.” The girl earlier stepped closer and she was right. It’s an old worn-out cover but the sticker is definitely U-Know Yunho and he’s in a wedding suit with a bride who looks like the brunette version of this raven beauty holding the phone. Jaejoong’s usually careful to cover her phone but she got clumsy today as the girl took a quick photo of her while holding the incriminating phone cover.

By the time Jaejoong was done, the girl had escaped and was already revealing this huge discovery to her friends.

~~~

“Say Yunho, what do you think of dyeing your hair pink?” Yunho’s hairstylist said as she perfected his do before they head for an interview.

“Pink noona?” he turned around to face her, “I’m a man!” in response, the woman turned his face forward to face the mirror again, “Yah! Only a real man can pull it off. It’s all the rage nowadays. If those scrawny kids can, it’s a piece of cake for you. We need a modern version of ‘80s American style, little curls, we’ll do it on a brunette base instead of a blonde, just to change it up.”

“Noona, if you ruin it, I’m going military style.” And Yunho punctuated it with motioning a shaver going through his coordi’s favourite locks of hair. The hairstylist slapped his hand and gave up for now. She’s getting this man’s hair pink whether he likes it or not.

The door suddenly flew open, “Yunho-Yah!” Janghoon entered and both Yunho and the hairstylist thought he’s here to fetch Yunho.

“Hyung I’m almost done. Don’t worry, we won’t be late.” Yunho said as the woman continued to set Yunho’s hair.

But Janghoon wasn’t concerned about that. He entered in the room with large steps, looking frenzied for some reason. “You two, leave us for a moment.” He told the hairstylist and the assistant at the back. The others found it weird but looking at the sense of urgency in janghoon’s expression, they didn’t argue and the two women left quietly.

“Hyung what’s wrong?” Yunho asked as Janghoon grabbed Yunho’s iPad and fiddled with it. He handed the device to Yunho, “we’re in some major .”

Yunho looked at the article displayed on the screen and his eyes widened seeing the headline. “IS U-KNOW YUNHO MARRIED? WHO’S THE MYSTERY WIFE?” Yunho scrolled below and felt his heart in his mouth. There’s a screenshot of a Tweet, two pictures in it claiming to be the evidence.

One of them is Jaejoong at a store, talking on the phone. The other is a zoomed in version focusing on her phone cover. She’s changed phones many times and has used the many stickers given by her sister. It might be because Yunho has seen the picture so many times that he finds it so clear despite the blurriness from zooming in. But in reality, the picture is too unclear to be damning evidence.

Janghoon the entertainment news channels on the television in the room while Yunho scrambled for his phone. He needed to call Jaejoong. See if she’s okay. He didn’t even pay attention to the news.

“Is U-Know really married or is it one of the pro-level photo shopping skills of fans?” one of the news anchors said before Janghoon switched to another channel. Everyone’s talking about it but Janghoon is surprised when they’re polarizing on whether it’s a real thing or not. Sure he might have a one-sided perspective knowing Yunho is married but he thought the media would insist on him being married than have another viewpoint on it.

He dialled the number of the agency’s PR handler who answered on the first ring. He’s not a regular PR. To most of the staff in Elite and the world, his job profile is not clear. But the managers know him very well. Kang Jisoo specializes in scandals. He could create rumours for promotion purposes or even divert attention from certain scandals. The latter seems to be the case right now.

“What’s going on?” Janghoon could use authority since he’s been attached to Elite longer than the current director himself. He has more pull among all the departments than the execs have authority over them.

“I just casually tweeted about the photo shopping level of some fans. You know, like making fake wedding pictures.” Jisoo sneered, “I commend you Han Janghoon. I knew about the girl. But to think they’ve gone so long married and I didn’t even know.”

“That’s none of your business. Just put an end to this.” Janghoon looked over at Yunho who’s now frazzled that Jaejoong isn’t answering her call.

“That’s the problem now, isn’t it?” this time Jisoo wasn’t mocking as he spoke in all seriousness, “I didn’t know about this. So I couldn’t contain it on time. That picture is out, and the question will continue to remain. Fans are sharper detectives than the most seasoned cops you know. Unless Yunho makes a statement confirming or denying it, I can’t do !  Either way, there’s going to be damage… or I’m not specifically talking about Yunho.”

“What do you mean?”

“You know it already. He’s not a newbie. Yunho is still at the height of his career, and a scandal like this will only push him further. I’m talking about his wife. Now’s just the beginning. I heard the higher ups are going to use it to their advantage. Make it look like his marriage is a gimmick and Yunho was dating Boa all along. At that point, his wife will became a crazed fangirl who crossed a line and she’s going to get mauled by the media. It doesn’t matter if there have been worse fans.”

“They can’t do that!”

“They’re already doing it! So you better get your idol to his senses. He’s the only one who can take control of the situation. No reps, no spokespersons. He has to go out there and set the record straight. Whether he wants to admit he’s married or not is up to him.”

Janghoon finds sense in what Jisoo says, but he doesn’t know what is the right course of action. They have to weigh everything before he gives Yunho sound advice. God knows he’s not in the right frame of mind for that. “What do you think Jisoo? Should he tell them the truth?”

“You want to know my honest opinion?”

“Yeah.”

Janghoon hung up after Jisoo spoke. He looked over at Yunho who’s muttering a litany of ‘pick up Jaejoong!’ he was about to try and call her himself when his phone rang. This time it’s the director, a rare phone call. “Yes sir.” Janghoon spoke.

“What is the meaning of this?” the director gritted out.

“It is clear what it is.” Janghoon wasn’t the type to cower in front of authority.

“I don’t give a damn anymore. You and Jisoo are on damage control. I don’t want Yunho talking to the press until I say so. Cancel all his interviews. Send memos to the variety shows that nothing on this will be asked. And make sure he’s doing more performances instead of interviews.”

Janghoon looked over at Yunho who looked like he finally connected to Jaejoong. Absentmindedly, he answered, “Yes sir.” And he hung up, not caring for further conversation.

“Hello! Hello! Jaejoong? Are you there? Answer me?” Yunho shouted at the phone.

“Yunho! Yunho! It’s me, Sookjin!” the person on the other end answered.

“Noona! Where’s Jaejoong!”

“I rushed over when I saw the news. Jaejoong’s next to me. She… she’s not fine Yunho.” Sookjin now spoke in a low tone, “When I came, there were people outside your door. I called security but now people have camped outside your building’s gate. She can’t even go near a window without people screaming and taking pictures of her.”

“H-how did they reach there?”

“The media reached the store where she was found out. The owner ratted her out. Things aren’t good Yunho. You’ve been trying to call her right? The line’s busy. The phone’s been going off for two hours now.”

“Noona, please let me talk to Jaejoong.”

“I don’t think she’s in the state Yunho. When I arrived she was really pale. I think she’s not been well for days. Has she been eating Yunho?”

“I...I don’t know.” Yunho at this point clutched his hair as he tried to remember, “I come late... so… she said she ate.”

“I don’t think so Yunho. I tried feeding her and she threw up in minutes. Something’s not right Yunho. She’s scared of the people outside and she’s restless. Breathing heavily.”

Just then they heard a scream that even made Janghoon flinch. Yunho knows its Jaejoong. “Noona! Noona! What’s wrong? Where’s Jaejoong? Jae!” but Yunho wasn’t answered as all he heard was Sookjin shout for Jaejoong hysterically.

~~~

“What is he doing there? Do you know what kind of trouble this can create!” the director, Park Hongmin yelled as Janghoon simply took it.

“His wife is in the hospital. I don’t think I can stop him from seeing her.” Janghoon replied coolly. It’s something that can’t be argued about.

“Fine. But nothing gets out, do you understand me. We’re trying to refute claims that Yunho is married and I don’t want anything to ruin that. Or it’s all on you Janghoon.”

“I happily accept the responsibility.” The manager said and once again hung up on the executive.

Janghoon looked over to distraught Kim and Jung family gathered in front of a room. He didn’t need to look inside the single window of the room to know Yunho’s there with his wife. A doctor and a nurse stepped out of the room and only Yunho’s father, Jaejoong’s eldest brother-in-law and Janghoon have their wits about them to talk with the doctor.

“We spoke to Jaejoong and she told us that she didn’t know she was pregnant.” The doctor said. She took a long breath because she’s about to state the obvious and it doesn’t make it any better. “It goes without saying that the stress caused the miscarriage.” Janghoon thought it was necessary for the doctor to know everything. So he took the risk on doctor-patient confidentiality.

“Is she fine?” Jaejoong’s father asked and the doctor sighed again, “Physically, she’ll recover in a few days. She can go home tomorrow morning. But…” she turned around to look at both a lifeless Yunho and the unconscious Jaejoong, “it’s going to be hard on both of them for a while. I need the entire family to take care of their health before something worse happens, especially Jaejoong-ssi.”

So saying, the doctor left to let them mull over her thoughts.  The nurse found Janghoon to be the most composed. So she explained the prescription to him.

Meanwhile, inside the room, Jaejoong who had been trying to sleep opened her eyes. She just couldn’t. They could pump sedatives into her if they want but sleep won’t just come. She’s not in the right frame of mind for it.

She looked to her side. Yunho was sitting beside the bed, staring into space, possibly worse-looking than she is right now. And for some reason that irked her.

“Yunho.” He flinched at his name being called and looked at her, “Uh…uh yeah. Do you need something?” he moved to hold her hand but to his utter shock, she moved her hand away.

“Can you leave me alone for a bit?” Yunho’s eyes widened hearing that request. Or was it a command? How could he leave her alone at this moment? They’ve both lost their unborn child.

“Wha- Jaejoong! I…” he stuttered but what does he say? That he doesn’t want to leave just because she asked him to?

“Yunho…” the dead tone of Jaejoong got Yunho look at her almost fearfully, “I can’t look at you right now.” the sharp intake of breath echoed in the room as Yunho nearly stumbled backwards though he was sitting. “J-Jaejoong… why? I know you're sad and it’s a hard time for u, but please Jaejoong let me be here for you? You don't really want me to go and I know that. So Jaejoong lets....”

“I just can’t look at you right now!” Jaejoong gritted out, “I lost my child because of you! You were the one who kept our marriage a secret. Why do they have to make me the bad person? Why should I suffer and you enjoy the glorious life of an idol?” Jaejoong knows she doesn’t mean any of it. It’s the exhaustion and grief talking. She never had a problem with being Yunho’s little secret. That sacrifice was worth it. But she and Yunho never talked about what would happen if they had a family. They were married really young to even consider children at that time. But fate just had to show them that they couldn’t continue this for longer.

By now Jaejoong is too tired for her tears and turns away. But Yunho was struck. He’s standing now, weeping at the words he heard from his love. “Jae please! Don’t say that. I’m sorry.” He moved to touched her but she flinched and pulled the covers over her. “Jae, I lost my child too. I didn’t mean for this to happen!”

Yunho doesn’t know the family saw the scene from the window. Never mind they couldn’t hear. They just know what went down. Their fathers, Jaejoong’s mother and two of Jaejoong’s brothers-in-law hurried in.

“Yunho, let her be. Now’s the time for this.” Sookjin’s husband put his hand over Yunho’s shoulder.

“Son, she’s been through a lot. Give her some space for now.” Mr Jung coaxed his son.

“Come on. Both of you need rest.” Jaejoong’s youngest brother-in-law helped the others walk Yunho out of the room. The entire time Yunho’s eyes didn’t move from Jaejoong who was now sobbing in her mother’s arms. Once she was out of sight, Yunho broke down too.

~~~

They hadn’t spoke for a week. He hasn’t gone a day without talking to Jaejoong since they first met in that music class years ago. The family keeps insisting to give her time. But what about him? This space between them is killing him.

“Ah director-nim! In this fight scene, are we doing it ourselves?” One of the younger actors asked while the director explained the details for the actors to do it themselves.

The cast had been finalised and they were at the first script-reading. Everyone was ironing out the details, but two people remained silent.

Yunho’s soul was pretty much out of his body right now as he stared at the paper depressingly. Opposite him, Boa was observing him discreetly while pretending to be attentive to the discussion.

She’s not stupid. When that scandal about Yunho broke out, she was actually afraid he was married. The company may have diverted attention from it but she knows it’s true simply because they tried to downplay it without making official statements on it. They’re using the publicity to their advantage.

But Boa is sure the whole drama has caused strain between Yunho and his wife. Otherwise he wouldn’t be like this now. She doesn’t know what happened, but if Yunho’s looking so pitiful, it must’ve been bigger than just the rumour mill churning. And that could work to her benefit.

When the female idol had seen that picture of Yunho’s supposed wife, she was honestly threatened. His wife could be an idol herself and for years too. Not fade like Boa did. But seeing that Elite is trying to supress the issue, Boa saw her chance. There’s no way they’d let Yunho’s secret be out. They’d rather set him up with Boa, boost their own stock with the power couple they’d make. And Boa doesn’t care they would be a fake couple nor is she concerned about Yunho’s wife. This is just what she needs to get herself back on the top.

The director called for a break but Boa knew Yunho won’t be returning after the break. His manager had earlier informed them that he needed to go for a recording. But Boa knows it’s an excuse.

Yunho’s manager came over while the rest were moving. He called Yunho and the idol looked like he was disturbed from sleep as he whispered something to Janghoon and they both walked away.

Boa followed them discreetly towards the exit. She made it look like she was going out to take a call. But she’s really listening to the two males talk.

“I just got a call from the company. There’s some party you’ve been invited to.” Janghoon spoke, a little annoyed by the sudden order.

“What party hyung? I’m not in the mood.” Yunho said but he knows that even Janghoon agrees.

“Something or the other. For our agency’s people only. I didn’t really bother. They just said they’re idols that are in town should be present. I bet there’ll be photographers too. Some PR nonsense.” Yunho rolled his eyes about ready to call them himself and refuse, but he suddenly had a thought. “Hyung, will the President be there?”

After a brief pause, Janghoon nodded, “he’s in town so, definitely.”

“I’ll go.” was all Yunho said to make Janghoon sputter. Now that was unexpected.

Boa had a twinkle in her eye when she heard Yunho’s coming to that party. Things are all working in her favour. Now she just has to talk to the president first.

~~~

Jaejoong tiredly fetched a glass and filled it with water. She’s liking the silence. She told the family to stop checking on her for a few hours. Disconnected the phone and threw her cell phone in either the bathtub or the washing machine. She doesn’t remember.

But sleeping all day can be exhausting too. Her bones are creaking from not getting any movement. While she’s sipping her water, she finds the TV remote on the table and turns on the TV in the hallway. Yunho always wanted the TV visible from everywhere, including the dining area and the kitchen. The screen lit up to Gag Concert just when some funny body gag happened and Jaejoong laughed.

Too bad she was drinking water at the same time. The water went down the wrong pipe and she began coughing violently.

 “Oh! Oh! Okay!” Jaejoong suddenly found herself in strong, yet familiarly protective arms even through her coughing, “How many times have I told you to drink slowly!” now she’s sure. It’s Yunho.

Her coughing subsided gradually as she sniffled in Yunho’s chest. He continued to pat her back, then it, not once letting her escape his embrace. Eventually her sniffling turned into stifled sobs.

“You can let it out. These clothes aren’t the sponsored ones.”  He her head this time, pressing it against his shoulder and that was all she needed to cry like a baby.

“I’m sorry~!” Jaejoong said between sobs.

“It’s okay. I know you didn’t mean it. I understand.” Hearing that Jaejoong’s cries died a hiccupping death as they continued to stay like that for the first time in a long while. The only thing that could ruin the moment was Yunho’s growling stomach. Jaejoong pulled away and stared at that loudly gurgling belly as Yunho scratched his not so itchy head. “There was Italian food at the script reading. So…”

“I get it. I get it.” Jaejoong waved it off as she looked for the tofu kimchi her sisters had kept for her to eat later. It’s not much, but Yunho could do with it. He’s not the type for international cuisine.

Yunho pulled out two plates and heated the rice in the microwave. “There’s a party in the evening at the company.” Jaejoong’s hand stilled for a moment before she hummed. What it conveyed, even she didn’t know. “I don’t really want to go.”

“I presume you can’t get out of it.” Jaejoong simply stated as she put the platter on the table. She thought that was the end of it and she served them both.

“I don’t want to leave you alone.” Yunho said and Jaejoong hummed once again as she kept scooping rice on their plates. “I’ll be fine.” She said.

“There’s something I need to do there.” At that, Jaejoong looked at him curiously. Yunho took her hand in his, his thumb over her knuckles, “I know you didn’t mean whatever you said, but you were right. You don’t deserve to be treated like that. I don’t care if they’re fans. No one has that right.”

“Yunho you-”

“I’ve made my decision. I don’t care what happens afterwards. But everything will be fine.”

Jaejoong was stunned. She was finding this hard to process. “Wh-what… exactly are you going to do? Ah!” Jaejoong was suddenly pulled forward and she’s very awkwardly bent over Yunho. “You wait and see.” Jaejoong didn’t even get to respond before Yunho pulled her for a kiss. Yes, lunch was completely forgotten that day.

~~~

“I didn’t think was a black-tie event.” Yunho fiddled with his tie as he scanned the room. He found his fellow idols there dressed to the nines and equally confused about this sudden event.

“The agency is branching out into a production company. This party is to attract investors and get you idols some acting offers.” Janghoon spoke while straightening his own suit. It’s a little tight because he hasn’t worn it for years. He just never had any occasion to.

“Is it fine if you’re here? They won’t say anything right?” Yunho asked desperately looking for another entourage. There are a lot of the agency’s staff, but none of the idols’ entourage, not even a manager or two were present. He doesn’t want Janghoon to get into trouble because of him.

“They wouldn’t dare throw me out. I’ve been in this industry before Elite was even established. Do you know how much pull I have?” Janghoon teasingly brushed non-existent dust off his shoulders. “Besides, with what you’re about to do, I’m not leaving you by yourself.”

Yunho smiled a little, “thanks hyung.”

“Yeah, yeah. Don’t get me all sentimental now.” Janghoon pointed at a separate section of the ballroom where some of the artists and execs were with a bunch of media people. The presence of the media in the outer ballroom served as a good simultaneous PR opportunity. The business folk stayed in the inner ballroom, “the president won’t be going there but they’re trying to keep the artists there for some publicity. That’s where you do your job.”

“I need to meet the president first.” Yunho spoke as he spotted the middle-aged man enter with his entourage and head straight to the first rich man he saw. Yunho went straight for him while Janghoon followed, albeit slowly.

When President Yoon saw Yunho, he immediately told his men to give them some distance. Yunho didn’t notice but Janghoon figured out the man was intending to talk to Yunho too.

“Ah Yunho-ah!” the man suddenly brought Yunho in a embrace surprising the dancer. The president pat his back and then pulled away making Yunho suspicious of his odd happiness.

“N-Nice meeting you President.” Yunho greets a little hesitantly. The older man pulls away, looking at Yunho with a proud smile.  Yunho tries not feel too disturbed by it as spoke, “I’m sorry for all the trouble I’ve caused lately.”

“Ah that…” the President looks around to make sure none of the investors are around before he drops his voice, “it’s okay. It’s all sorted out by now. Right?” Yunho didn’t miss how he stressed on that subtly as he brushed Yunho’s shoulder.

“About that…” once President Yoon’s hands moved away, Yunho straightened his suit and dusted the very same place the older man had touched, sending an underlying message, “it’s not completely sorted out yet.” The President looked at the artist, not showing any obvious reaction except for that he’s all ears, “I want to make a statement to the fans… my fans.”

Unexpectedly, the president looked very happy. “Ah yes… a statement. Sure.” He pointed to the outer ballroom with the press gathered there, “Perfect isn’t it?”

“Hmm…yeah…” Yunho agreed. He’s now beginning to think he and the man are having completely different thoughts though they’re keen on Yunho making an official address. So Yunho thought he should clarify, “I want to tell the fans their idol has a personal life they don’t have a right on. Is that okay with you?” he leaves out Jaejoong’s name because he’s still undecided whether he should mention her or not. It can be done simply by telling the fans to not invade his privacy.

“Ah yes, yes. I agree.” The president wholeheartedly agreed which made even Janghoon in the distance feel rather suspicious. It’s not even like the man is masking some anger or nervousness with jovial behaviour. “You’re absolutely right. Just go over the wording with Janghoon so nothing goes wrong. I’ll have one of Jisoo’s guys brief the reporters in the meantime.” The president gave Yunho’s shoulder a squeeze and gestured for him to be on his way.

Yunho left a little weirded out as he met up with Janghoon. “How did it go?” the manager asked.

“Oddly fine.” Yunho spoke before recounting to Janghoon the exact exchange of words, “hyung, president Yoon knows about Jae-her right?” Yunho stopped himself from saying Jaejoong’s name before someone heard and created a whole new gossip wave he didn’t need at the moment.

Janghoon thought for a moment before he nodded, “I believe so. He became president when your career was in its fifth year. He was more focused on the new launches so he hadn’t really studied much about the senior ones like you. But after the whole drama these past few days, I think he knows now.”

“I have this weird feeling that we were in the same book, but not on the same page…” Yunho frowned just thinking about their conversation earlier, “Either way h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter