004

He was a boy She was a girl
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yunho sighed tiredly as he dragged his backpack and his feet towards the exit of the studio. At 31, his age seems to have caught up with him. Jaejoong says he could easily pass for someone in their early twenties and she hasn’t aged one bit either. But his bones don’t know that.

Yunho groans massaging his back and carries his backpack like a handbag instead. He injured himself filming his drama last year and he didn’t have much time to heal because he set off on his concert tour right after. And now he’s in the middle of his new album promotions. He doesn’t have anything to do in the next two days, so he’ll take up Jaejoong’s offer on the massage.

Just as he’s about to walk out of the glass doors to head to his van, he hears the sound of footsteps and he holds the door open.

“see you next week hyung!” that Jonghyun kid from Shinee shouts as he runs to their waiting van. Minho and Key follow behind him waving at Yunho as well. their maknae, Taemin runs out waving Yunho’s latest CD which Yunho signed for them today. “thanks so much hyung! And for the picture too!” Taemin shouted like the adorable U-know fanboy he is. Their leader, Onew was more mature, bowing to Yunho as he left, “Happy birthday hyung!” onew said as he left.

“Take care!” Yunho smiled as he saw them run. “youth…” he sighed as he walked to his van. Janghoon is waiting for him as Yunho enters the van, “am I done for the day hyung?”

“Yup. you want to have dinner first or head straight home?” Janghoon asked he buckled up and pulled out of the lot.

“Straight home. Jae and I haven’t eaten together for a while.” As he spoke, Yunho sent a quick text to Jaejoong that he’s coming home.

“no problem. But we need to stop by the agency first. The big boss wants to talk to you.” Janghoon meets Yunho’s eyes through the rear-view mirror, “you know the company is producing dramas now right? there’s a new musical series they want you to do.”

“Ah hyung~” Yunho whined at the thought of being more busy.

“it’s only a short web series kid. The lead character is a handsome older male who teaches dance and you fit the bill.” Janghoon coaxed, “shooting will be after your promotions are over. And I promise you’ll have at least two weeks off after that.”

“Promise hyung?”

“Yah! Are we in kindergarten?”

“then no deal.”

“Fine. Promise.”

Yunho laughed at his manager’s expense as they drove to their agency. Janghoon and Yunho first grabbed some coffee from the vending machines before they met the director to get rid of the sleepiness.

“Who’s the other cast hyung?” Yunho asked in the elevator. “Only Jung Ilwoo has been cast so far. You two like the same girl or something…no originality these days…I was told we’re meeting the actress right now.”

Yunho simply nods as he follows his manager. Janghoon knocks first and opens the door of their boardroom as Yunho enters. “good evening.” Yunho greets with a bow and when he looks up at the other person in the room, his heart stopped.

“Good evening Yunho.” The CEO spoke as he gestured to the smiling woman beside him, “I’m sure you’ve heard about the newest addition to our agency. Kwon Boa will be acting in the drama with you.”

Boa smiled as Yunho, for some odd reason heard ominous bells ringing in his head.

~~~

Even though Yunho got to spend the night with Jaejoong after a long time, he couldn’t savour it one bit. His mind was not in the room the entire time.

At last night’s meeting where the CEO explained the schedule for the filming and ironing out the details, Yunho was still not in the right frame of mind to participate. Janghoon did the talking, even negotiating the romantic scenes will stop at kissing. Only he knows the kind of problems Yunho and Jaejoong will have if Yunho were to go ahead with the proposed bed scene.

But what left him so lifeless was the private talk Yunho had with Boa after the meeting.

Yunho was heading towards the elevator when someone grabbed his arm, “Can we talk?” Boa asked but her tone was anything but kind. Still the type to get her way.

Yunho looked at janghoon for a moment who gestured for him to go ahead. Yunho turned back to Boa and nodded and found himself dragged to one of the corners of the hallway. Janghoon remained where he was, within listening distance.

Yunho continued with his silent behaviour as Boa first gave a look to Janghoon, her apprehensions clear as day, before she looked at Yunho. “I really wanted to thank you.”

Now that caught Yunho off guard. The Kwon Boa wants to thank him? “For what?” he couldn’t hide the sarcasm in his tone.

Boa either didn’t catch it or pretended not to, “for agreeing to this drama. You don’t know how badly I need this to work.” Yunho crossed his arms and looked at his former crush sceptically, silently asking her to elaborate, “well, you know the shelf-life of a female idol. After a couple of albums, I went on tours all over Asia. Never even thought to take those drama offers even if they were second leads. At least that would’ve opened more options for me. But when I was out of the country, new artists came, younger, prettier girls with no talent whatsoever.”

She missed Yunho’s brief moment of anger. He wanted to correct that. These younger, prettier girls she’s looking down are talented and ten times more hardworking. But he doesn’t want to interrupt and delay longer. He’s now beginning to feel the sense of urgency to go home.

“my career is going nowhere Yunho. My last album was two years ago and it totally flopped.” She omitted the part about Yunho’s album getting #1 that year, “I need to show versatility Yunho. Get into acting and modelling. Just a music career isn’t working out for me anymore. And I need your help.” Yunho flinched as she suddenly grabbed his hand, “I’m really grateful for your help.” And out of nowhere, Boa jumped and landed a quick peck on  Yunho’s cheek before running off in the other direction.

Yunho was scandalised as he turned around and found and equally shocked Janghoon. “What just happened?” Yunho asked dazedly. Janghoon just held his hand and led him out of there reminding him not to tell Jaejoong.

 “Yunho?” he snapped out of it rather abruptly and looked around his surroundings. It took him a while to realise he’s sitting on hit bed. “Yunho-yah!” he was called once again and looked at the front to find Jaejoong staring at him, “You haven’t moved for 15 minutes. Are you okay?”

Damn! Was it that long? Yunho hurriedly stood up from the bed, “No, I’m fine. Okay.” Yunho said quickly as he walked past Jaejoong to the bathroom. but before he could enter, Jaejoong caught his arm giving him a sense of déjà vu. “your birthday gift is on the couch.”

Oh…that’s right. why does he have to think about one old friend who’s now his co-star. It’s his birthday and he got to spend it with his wife. Yunho pulled Jaejoong closer, only now realising she’s only wearing a towel around her and her hair is dropping wet. It makes quite a sight when he pulls her in for a kiss, “belated happy birthday to you too. Your present will be here in the afternoon but you can see what it is now.” Yunho points at his closet next which is next to Jaejoong’s before he pecks her cheek and runs inside the bathroom. the last thing Yunho saw before closing the door is a squealing Jaejoong happy over a catalogue full of home studio equipment.

~~~

“If she’s that happy only knowing she’s getting her own studio, I can’t imagine how she’ll be when the stuff actually arrives.” Janghoon laughed heartily hearing how Jaejoong climbed on top of Yunho for his present. She only got him a Bambi neck pillow but he doesn’t mind.

“oh hyung! You have no idea.” Yunho spoke exaggeratedly, “she cleared the store room in less than an hour.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter