1.05 Father

Snow White: Wintering War

[Wang Song bonds with Wang Soon, felt less lonesome in his life. Later Seongjong, Wang Chi, interacts with the baby when he cries. Compassion filled in in heart as the baby was frantically calling out for his father.]

 

The door burst opened as Queen Hunae marched to her son’s room. She saw a displeasured expression from her brother, but she didn’t care. She came here to see her nephew. Song glanced at his uncle, king Seongjong with beseeching eyes. Chi sighed in defeat and let his sister see Soon. When Hwangbo Su approached, she could see her son holding the baby in protective way.

 

From the moment Su saw Wang Soon, her heart melt at the sight. A little life in a bundle was looking at her with large innocent eyes that didn’t belong to the cruel world.

 

Song smiled as he looked at his cousin.

 

    “Hello, little one.” Su whispered with smile.

 

The baby giggled as his little arms reached above. Song gently grabbed his one hand, his smile never leaves from his face.

 

    “There, little cousin of mine…,” Song called, “I’m not going to be so lonesome anymore.”

 

Song never had any siblings for he longed at least one. He was arranged married to Seonjung, his half-cousin. All his cousins were women, but still needed a companion. Having a little cousin since several months ago, he was happy to learn the part of his aunt Queen Hunjung.

 

Su smiled sadly at her son, remorse filled in her heart for she was unable to give him siblings.

 

The door was opened again, revealing Chi-Yang who was making a grim expression, which didn’t go unnoticed by the king, a widowed queen, and a prince. Behind him was Ji-Mong who also made a same grave look.

 

    “What’s going on?” King demanded.

 

Both royal council hesitated at first, but Chi-Yang was the first to speak.

 

    “Your majesty…you must come out and see forth…”

 

Frowning, Seongjong, Su, and Song followed as the prince still held the baby. When they came out from the entrance of Cheondeokjeon, they couldn’t believe what they had just saw. There was a woman in plain hanbok, whose black hair tied back, kneeled on the grand isle. With determined expression, she refuse to get up despite the pain came from her legs.

The king and widowed former queen could recognize the face as their eyes were wide.

 

    “…Seol?”

 

The former queen Hunui, secret daughter of Gwangjong, mistress of Hae and Chungju clan, was kneeling in front of Cheondeokjeon.

 

    “…Seol…what is she…” Su wanted to come to see her, but Chi-Yang stopped her.

 

Clenching his fist, Chi bit his lips as he scowled. Despite the submissiveness, Seol was fighting for both Baek-Ah and his son Wang Soon. ‘Taking her uncle’s place for his child’s freedom…’ Chi thought bitterly. Time went on, and she still resists against him.

 

Closing his eyes briefly, Chi went back inside. In conflicted feelings Su slowly approached to her old dear friend she hadn’t seen for long time. Song couldn’t help but admire the mistress of Hae clan due to her braveness and he didn’t know how his uncle’s decision could bring the suffering to his relatives in such way.

 

Noticing Su’s footsteps, Seol looked up and smiled in reserved manner.

 

    “Seol…” Hwangbo Su managed to speak.

 

    “It’s been a while, your grace.” Seol greeted back.

 

Oh, how Su truly respected and idolized this woman since she was young. Bold, free-willed, and wise woman with kind heart. Alas, even the time couldn’t take her celestial beauty and youth.

 

    “Please, get up…,” Su begged with trembling voice, deeply feared for Seol’s life, “I will think of something…so please do not risk your life…”

 

Little did they knew, the king was listening with grim expression. Seol glanced for a while, then grinned. It was the same curl of her lips when Gwangjong used to made when he was alive.

 

    “My queen…if I die…will you always remember me?”

 

Su was taken back with her question.

 

    “Of course I will and forever…why would you ask such thing?”

 

Seol looked up to the sky, but she remained kneeling.

 

    “Do you know how and when people die? Get poisoned? No. Receiving heart attack? No. A sword stab their heart? No…”

 

She looked at her old friend Su with enigmatic smile.

 

    “It’s when they were forgotten…gone and forgotten from the history of their mind and hearts. Our actions cannot be written in books, but it will be in humans’ heart. And I will keep your brother remember all I am doing…is to confront this cruelty, the fiery pit for people I dearly love the most…”

 

Su released her tears unwillingly as she held her hands. Song was speechless with the woman’s word. Lady Seol was no ordinary woman. She came all the way here to free the baby from hellish palace and lurking evil that will someday after his life. And she did not hesitate to jump in to save the boy and his father.

 

King Seongjong’s lips twitched. Just as Ji-Mong said, no rags cannot hide her dignity as a true queen. For Seol was born with the star of matriarch conqueror. Sighed heavily, Chi moved to the throne room, testing Seol’s patience.

 

Seongjong approached to the room where the palace maid takes care of Soon. He entered the chamber and the court lady bowed. Dismissing her, Chi took a closer look on his nephew who was staring at him with wide eyes. Then, the baby crawled towards and Chi unconsciously picked him up with gentleness.

 

Then, the unexpected thing happened as little Soon’s small hand made a contact with his uncle’s face, surprising the king. The baby was trying to detect this man whether he was his father or not. When it appears to be not, Soon’s hands spread wildly as he spoke the word no one expected to hear for a while.

 

    “A—Abi…A…A-beo,” the infant muttered, “A-beo…ji.”

 

Seongjong’s eyes grew wide. The baby was calling out for his father Baek-Ah. Chi blinked his eyes, unable to detect his conflicted feelings. A sudden feeling of saturation overwhelmed his eyes. A single droplet dropped from his eyes. Was it…sympathy? Compassion?

 

All of sudden, Chi refreshed his childhood when his father, Wang Wook, was alive. He used to believe that his father was greatest man due to his dignity and intelligence, but it grew short-timed when he learned his father’s sins. To prove that he was unlike him, Chi fed his bedridden father a poisoned tea. Even though Wook knew his son was trying to kill him, he accepted them nonetheless, with kind smile. Seongjong has this love and hatred for his late father but he did not admit directly.

 

    “Chi…”

 

Startled, Chi turned around but there was no one. It was so familiar voice he could realize whose it had belonged to. 

 

    “Chi…my son.”

 

Seongjong’s eyes were wide, but he still held his nephew. Little did he knew, the apparition of deceased eighth prince glanced at his son with remorse, guilt, and sadness.

 

Days passed, rainstorm went by and yet Seol didn’t move. Her eyes were awake and was staring at the gate. From afar, Ji-Mong sighed reminding himself a striking resemblance the former queen Hunui has with her mother Hae Soo.

 

Seol kept her eyes opened to not let herself defeat until she no longer felt the rains touching her shoulders. She looked up and saw Ju stood beside. He was wearing burgundy red hanbok as his arms held his dark cape around his wife as a protection. He too, joined with her to fight for the infant’s freedom from the palace.

 

Ju looked down and smiled reassuringly. Seol smiled back as the two looked at the Cheondeokjeon with determined eyes.

 

Note:

Soon was trying to speak "Abeoji", meaning father.