1.02 Circle of Entity

Snow White: Wintering War

[While praying on the stone tower, Seol received the letter from Jung, causing her to go to Silla, where Baek-Ah and Queen Hunjung were were located. When they visited to Hwangbo Seol’s residence, she and Jung found Baek-Ah, holding an infant.]

 

 

Her eyes were widened in shock as so did Ju. Feeling her legs numb, she tried her best to keep stood up, feeling the stray of tear escape from her eyes. Hwangbo Seol, in her age of Her thoughts then replaced with Baek-Ah, Hwangbo Su, and Wang Chi. Baek-Ah have been caring towards the deceased queen as Su was towards her little sister. She doubted Chi wouldn’t reveal his emotion, but she did have a hope that Chi would regret for using her sister as a hostage from the reign of Seol’s husband Wang Ju.

“Where’s uncle Baek-Ah?” Seol asked.

“He is still in Sa-Su-Hyeon.” Wang Jung replied in grave tone.

Ju and Seol glanced at one another. She looked at her adoptive father with determined look.

“Take us to Silla…,” Seol beseeched, “please.”

 

Seol and Ju had their children in care under A-Ran and Hae family as they followed Jung to Silla. They used their horses and galloped until they reached to Baek-Ah’s residence. Baek-Ah’s mother Queen Sinseong of Kim family and her cousin-in-law Lady Nak-Rang welcomed them with small smile. Seol and Ju bowed in grace, greeting them.

“Greetings to Queen Sinseong and Lady Nak-Rang.”

Deceased Lady Hunsook’s mother smiled at Seol.

“Ah, you are my good friend Soo’s daughter,” Nak-Rang said, “you look very refined like your mother.”

Seol thanked her. She heard that her mother Hae Soo befriended Gwangjong’s sister Nak-Rang long time ago. When she visited the palace, Soo had given her a cosmetics forming their deep friendship in result.

“Where’s uncle Baek-Ah?”

Queen Sinseong’s smile saddened and directed towards his chamber. Dismissing themselves, Jung, Seol, and Ju went towards his room. Fourteenth prince knocked the door and opened to see his brother sitting on the chair holding a bundle of white blankets with his arms. Baek-Ah looked towards the door and smiled. Seol and Ju’s eyes were on the bundle, only to realize the thick blankets was covering a small life who was asleep.

“Oh..hello Jung…” Baek-Ah said with raspy voice.

He was slightly aged as he has a short amount of moustache, but he was refined as he was during his youth. Baek-Ah noticed the baby was whimpering, and soothed him.

“A baby?” Ju managed to speak.

“Yes,” Baek-Ah said with smile, “he’s my son.”

Jung’s eyes were widened. For he never heard of his brother got married, or at least have a son. Frowning, he approached.

“Who’s the mother?” Jung asked.

Baek-Ah’s eyes were saddened as he looked at the sketchbook, the portrait of a woman he longed many years ago. The last piece of hope Hubaekje had, and somehow a same woman whose face showed a striking resemblance of young lady who had died. Thirteenth prince looked at them.

“Queen Hunjung…Hwangbo Seol.” He spoke in grave, yet softened tone.

The room was filled with silence. Seol collapsed on the floor, sitting as Ju was alarmed and helped her up. Jung paled at his brother’s answer in disbelief.

“Is that true?” Ju asked.

Baek-Ah didn’t reply, glancing at his son.

“I’m not going to ask what happened for ten years,” Seol said, “but does…the king know about this?”

Her question snapped her uncle back to reality. Baek-Ah looked at his boy with concern and looked at her with pleading eyes.

“Seol…I need your help…,” Baek-Ah said desperation filled in his voice, “my son…please do not let him taken to a palace…”

Yoo Seol remember the same word her mother said to Wang Jung after she was born. Soo asked Jung to not let her taken to palace. Her lips made a thin line.

“I’ll try my best…”

Baek-Ah smiled gratefully.

“Thank you…”

Seol approached to the baby. Baek-Ah revealed his son’s face as the baby opened his large eyes. Ju and Jung could see the similarity of his own father from the child. When Seol’s hand reached out, the baby grabbed her finger staring at it. She smiled as she patted the baby’s head.

“So what’s his name?”

Baek-Ah grinned.

“Wang Soon.”

Soon(詢). The name signifies belief. Seol and Ju smiled at the meaning of the name. Nak-Rang and Queen Sinseong came in and inspected the baby who was staring at them with blinking eyes, then smiled, his two small hands reaching out. Within second Baek-Ah’s mother smiled, wishing her grandson would not leave the residence.

“You all must be tired,” Queen Sinseong said to her three visitors, “please stay for a while.”

Seol thanked the elder queen.

“I now understand brother So’s feeling, Seol,” Baek-Ah spoke as his fingers gently grabbed Soon’s small hand, “being a father…is greatest thing.”

Ju and Seol smiled back, thinking of their four children.