1.01. Ten Years Later...

Snow White: Wintering War

[It’s been ten years since Seol and Ju left the palace and lived in Hae’s household. Just as usual, Ju was outside the house and went to the stone tower which was built for So and Soo. Both Ju and Seol has four children and seemingly live peacefully.]


“Mother, Shin is bullying Gyeong again~!”

Remained in front of two stone towers, Seol heard her two daughters Myung-Hee and Soo-Yeon’s voice. Myung-Hee was holding three years old Gyeong, Ju and Seol’s fourth child, who were about to cry. Soo-Yeon grabbed Shin’s hand giving him stern look, warning him not to use a bug to scar their little brother. Sighed, their mother approached but she showed no sign of anger in her face.

“Now, young man,” Seol spoke, “what did your mother and father tell you?” Seol asked as she put her hands on her hips.

“About…what?” Shin asked in quiet, insecure tone as he was afraid of his mother’s anger.

“About playing with your little brother.” Seol raised her eyebrows, tapping her one foot.

Then, Hae Shin has his two hand behind his back, playing with one foot innocently.

“Older siblings must cast their greed aside and..uhm, put their younger siblings first.” Shin replied in poised manner.

Seol nodded her head in pride. She urged the boy to apologize to his younger brother and Shin obliged. Gyeong was kind enough to forgive him and asked his brother and sisters to play together again. She smiled at her children as they ran around the garden. Wife of Hae Ju turned to see her husband who have returned from his meetings with other Hae elders.

“Welcome back.” Seol greeted as she walked towards him.

She came to him and planted a kiss on his cheek. It’s been approximately a decade since they left and they live in a peaceful life, able to love freely. But Ju still have a conferences with Hae clan, worried if something happened at Song-Ak. What he heard is that Wang Chi, now as king Seongjong, didn’t get to have any sons except two daughters with different two queens, Moon-Hwa and Lady Yeonchanggung. Chi was never interested with Moon-Duk who still raises her daughter Seonjung in Chungju. His two other daughters are Won-Jung*—from Moon-Hwa—, and Won-Hwa*—from Lady Concubine Yeonchanggung.

Also, Seol and Ju learned Chi has become more distant with his family. Cheon Chu-Jeon and A-Ran’s two children is now around Soo-Yeon and Myung-Hee’s age and often visit them to play together. Hwangbo Su and Hwangbo Seol stays separate but maintaining their title as a previous queens. Su lives in Palace Cheon-Chu while Seol stays in Silla under the custody of Baek-Ah.

Seol and Ju only wished nothing happens to people they care since Chi remained to keep his sisters as a hostage and what’s more, he was planning on arranging the marriage between Song and Seonjung.

“Do you miss them?” Ju asked carefully.

His wife knew he was talking about Hwangbo sisters. Seol nodded her head, extremely worried for her friends, hoping nothing worse will happen.

“I just hope they won’t get caught in more danger.” Seol replied.

Ju and Seol stood at the stone towers. Her husband then remembered to give her something as he turned to her.

“Seol-ah…,” Ju handed a rather large case with the size of human’s face, “I’d like you to have this.”

She accepted and opened the case. It was a mask that could hide the left side of a face, decorated with black leather, pieces of bronze and silver adorned. The long band was attached to the side which it could tie them together.

“This…”

“Yes.” Ju confirmed.

It was a same mask their father wear during his years as “Wolf-Dog.” But it was unused ever since Seol’s mother Hae Soo covered his scar.

“Why giving this?” Seol asked.

“When you left the palace, I wanted you to keep the piece of our father,” her husband explained with genuine smile, “and this is the only one I could find for you.”

Seol was aware of her father’s life. From the scar inflicted on her grandmother Queen Yoo, to his early reign as Gwangjong. The mask was part of Wang So, and the reason of his beginning of fate with Soo. Appreciating her husband, she embraced him.

“Thank you, Ju.”

Ju smiled as he accepted her arms. The stopped as they heard a small giggling from their children who were peeking at them. Soo-Yeon scolded her younger siblings it wasn’t polite to sneak a peek on a couple even if they are their parents. But Ju and Seol smiled. The children’s father held up his sons, giving Gyeong a piggyback. Seol continued to grin as she told her sons and daughters, hoping nothing will come between her and her families and friends.

 

Next day arrived, former Vice King Wang Jung arrived to their household with Cheon Chu-Jeon, A-Ran and their children. Seol’s four children immediately splintered while dragging their cousins to play. When the children was out of their site, Jung approached to Seol and Ju with serious look.

“What’s wrong?” Seol asked her adoptive father.

Jung looked around in case anyone sees and when he saw no one but Ju and Seol, he held out a letter to her. Ju could see there was something happening that involves with Seol’s friends who were still kept in palace or in between of the politics.

“It’s from Sa-Su-Hyeon*.”

So the letters were from Silla, where her uncle Baek-Ah and her friend Hwangbo Seol lives. Alarmed, Seol accepted the letter and unfold them in anxiety. Her eyes were widened with panic as she read over the message:

“Queen Hunjung Hwangbo Seol, passed away.”

 

Note:
Won-Jung becomes Hyeongjong’s first queen and Won-Hwa becomes his next queen.
Sa-Su-Hyeon is part of Silla, where Baek-Ah lives.