1.04 Forced Parting

Snow White: Wintering War

[Seol and Ju felt that Baek-Ah’s son, Wang Soon, will be in danger when he stays in palace so she devised the plan to escape, but Baek-Ah was arrested for adultery with the queen, and his son was taken to Song-Ak to be raised by king Seongjong.]

 

Seol and Ju tried to return to 13th prince’s residence as fast as they could. The palace have found out the adultery between Baek-Ah and Hwangbo Seol, Queen Hunjung. And also, about their child. 

“What do we do when they know about Soon?” Ju asked.

“We should hide the child away from the palace…who knows who will do something terrible to a poor child?” Seol replied hastily.

They burst through the door opened, surprising Baek-Ah, his mother and Lady Nak-Rang.

“Seol?! Ju? What’s going on?” Jung asked as he also came.

“Quick! The palace—they found out! Seongjong is coming here!” Ju explained between this breath, slamming his fist on his chest.

In that moment, Queen Sinseong sat on the chair, feeling her legs numb. Baek-Ah’s eyes were wide, his skin paled at the urgent news. His arms tightened around his infant child protectively. They suddenly perked their heads towards the closed window, hearing the galloping hooves of horses and shouts of the soldiers. They could hear one man knocked every door with his fist, holding a sword. 

“Ju, take Queen Sinseong and Lady Nak-Rang out for safety.” Seol said.

“What about you, Seol?” Ju asked, concerned.

“I’ll be with her, Ju…she’ll be safe.” Jung replied/

Hesitatingly Ju agreed and led two elder ladies to outside the hidden entrance. Seol and Jung stayed with Baek-Ah who was till holding his son, trying to calm the baby from crying. The door was kicked, breaking it. Soldiers have surrounded them, drawing their swords at them.

“Thirteenth prince Baek-Ah, you are under arrest for the adultery with a queen!” The general announced.

Irritated, Seol stood front and yelled.

“How dare you all, invading the property of royal family of Silla! Get out at once!”

Behind the soldier, the man in cloak cringed at her presence, then smiled bitterly.

“Still verbally powerful as you are..,” the man took off the hood, “and fair as usual.”

Seol’s eyes furrowed, not bothering to show her anger towards the king who walked towards her. Wang Chi. The man with royal black and wine red robes, his hair tied up with topknot and his face has a moustache. Despite the kingly physique, his expression was bitter and longing as Seol once again stood uptight.

“You once sent your sisters to palace as a hostage, and now you are killing her child and uncle Baek-Ah?!” Seol asked, her glare remained the same.

Chi remained silent, then scoffed cruelly.

“I haven’t come to get rid of a baby. But Hwangbo Seol’s no longer my sister,” Chi replied in cold tone, “she dishonoured the Wang’s family by cavorting with another man. How would the kingdom see the king who has a of a sister…”

His cruel remarks stimulated Seol and Jung’s wrath. Seol didn’t care what anybody says to herself, but him insulting and dismissing her friend, let alone his sister, got on her nerve.

“Thinking of your own reputation more than a safety for our country, what kind of king would blame his previous mistakes to others?! If you are her brother, you should have at least show some despair and loss. Now look what you’ve done; stole Su’s son and now you have a nerve enough to steal uncle Baek-Ah’s!!!”

Her wrathful outburst shocked Jung, Baek-Ah, and some of the soldiers. No one have talked freely and defiantly to the king before. Chi’s lips twitched, quelling his anger. He glanced at the soldier, gestured him to take a baby. When the slightly aged general approached, Seol spread her arms wide, blocking.

“Where would you take a child to?” she questioned.

“The boy will be sent to Song-Ak.” Seongjong answered.

Paled, Baek-Ah’s body shaken in fear for his son’s life.

“Please…do not take him to palace…your majesty…—please do not take my son, I’ll do anything!”

Ignoring his plea, Seongjong commanded the soldiers. Several of them caught Jung’s arms, preventing him from moving. When the general tries to grab the baby, Seol spat on his face and kicked him. However, another soldier roughly kicked her stomach, pulled her hair and threw her aside as he pulled the baby from Baek-Ah’s grasp who was captured by two soldiers reaching for his son who was wailing loudly.

“NO!!! Not my son!!” Baek-Ah shrieked in agony as Chi held the baby.

“Thirteenth prince Wang Wook, Baek-Ah…I sentence you to be exiled in your residence. One step outside Silla, you will never be able to see your son.” Seongjong said, glaring at him.

Jung growled in anger as he went to Seol who was injured.

“Where’s Queen Sinseong and Lady Nak-Rang?” Seongjong asked the new general.

“They have escaped with heir of Hae clan.”

Chi bit his lips. He was aware who he was talking about. Seol’s husband and previous king, Wang Ju, whose name’s now become Hae’s. Before Chi could order the general to capture him, Seol stood up, her eyes glare daggers at Eighth prince’s son with hatred. The same eyes Gwangjong made when he was angered.

“Don’t ever lay your finger on my husband. He’s my person…touch him and you will regret someday…” Seol cursed with self-controlled, yet venomous voice.

Chi closed his eyes, heavily sighing. Even in ten years, Seol rejects him. Even when he was a king, Seol pushes him away. She always choose Ju and everyone whom she loves. Seol’s threatening words sent the shiver on the soldiers’ spine.

“Very well.”

And Chi left the three helpless, but his mind was once again conflicted with his encounter with Seol. All these cursing ten years, Chi have become foolish man for still possessing his lingering feelings for Seol, let alone a married woman. He stopped and saw Ju who came back. Former king glared at Chi bow while stiffly bowed to him. Wook’s son left, but heard someone collapsed and he turned to see Seol fell unconscious for she used too much willpower to resist the king. Jung and Baek-Ah came to her as Ju held his wife.

Squeezing his eyes shut, he turned away and left letting Seol curses in her unconsciousness as he clutched his hold on Baek-Ah’s son tightly.

 

 

 

Note:
Done…I know some of you still hate Chi, but in next chapter you will see the slow change in his behavior and heart.