four

Above Average
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"For being considerate enough to care about my health." 

FOUR 

I felt like . Physically, mentally and emotionally. I was ill which meant a constant stream of snot, my eyes were leaking randomly, and I'm pretty sure the girl next to me was probably bathing herself in sanitizer because I was basically a biohazard. Also, Sehun had changed his seat, I couldn't feel his eyes fixed on me anymore and when I took a chance and turned around he wasn't there. In his place was a girl who probably thought I was trying to get her sick because she sneered at me when I made eye contact with her. All in all, I'm having a fantastic day. 

Of course, today would also be the day we discussed self-esteem in health class because apparently, that's a very important aspect of my health and wellness. So as the professor addressed the class I made myself as small as possible (as small as I could) due to the definite neon sign above my head that read lack of self-esteem in bright blinking letters. But her words were cut short when she shot a pointed stare to the back of the room. 

"Yes, Mr Oh?" 

My ears perked instantly, 100% focused on what he was about to say. I was only 50% listening to the professor, she was doing the whole someone can't love you until you learn to accept yourself and you can't love someone until you love yourself. Yeah got that, it's written on my mirror in bright pink lipstick. Okay, it isn't, but trust me it feels like it is. I sat up straighter in my seat a loud creak sounding from my chair but I didn't turn around. 

"Professor, I'm going to disagree with you." His voice sounded further away and I actually kind of hated it. 

I kept my eyes on the professor, she looked offended that he was trying to debate with her. "You're disagreeing with me?" 

"Yes," Sehun said simply. "Having self-esteem doesn't deem whether or not you're worthy of being loved by someone else. People who don't like the way they look or don't like some aspects of their personality are just as worthy as someone who wakes up every morning comfortable in their skin. Accepting who you are is a hard thing to do. Why can't someone help you get there?" His voice was assured as if he'd been thinking about this from the moment her powerpoint slide came on the screen. 

I don't think the professor was expecting someone else to raise their hand but someone did and she didn't even wait until the professor called on her. "Because someone helping you get there isn't the same as getting there by yourself. Nobody should have to depend on someone for making them feel comfortable in their skin and that responsibility shouldn't be given to someone." 

This time I turned around in my seat, I wanted to see how Sehun responded. 

He swallowed. "You're not wrong, but what if the person doesn't mind it? Loving someone isn't a burden, being someone's cheerleader isn't a burden either. I don't consider it being responsible for building their self-esteem. One day they'll wake up and they'll love who they are without someone having to say anything. I didn't do that. They did. I can't make someone comfortable in their skin, but if I can help them out by refuting those negative thoughts then why wouldn't I do that?" For a moment I thought his eyes drifted to my seat but I sneezed right when we would have made eye-contact. Damn snot. 

"Because it's not your job." The girl snapped and everyone in the room straightened in their seats, this chick was seriously angry. She was gripping onto the table with her ringed fingers and bright pink nail polish. "People don't need compliments to learn how to accept themselves." 

Sehun chuckled, and if it were possible the girl tensed even more. "It might not be my job, but if you haven't realised I am a human. I'm a human that enjoys seeing people smile when I tell them they look beautiful, or that I liked their shoes. It makes them feel good, it makes people smile and in turn that makes me smile. There's nothing wrong with being kind. Especially when kindness can make someone's day better." I seriously snagged myself a good one, a good one that I kept at arm's length. Honestly, I've scraped over every one of my interactions with Oh Sehun using a fine-tooth comb and I had yet to find a con to add to my pro/con list. 

He did have flaws though, I knew that. But they weren't as important as everything else.

. . 

Did I seriously just tell myself that? He did have flaws though, I knew that. But they weren't as important as everything else. 

I have flaws though, I know that. But they weren't as important as everything else. 

Oh. My. God. 

My silent epiphany went unnoticed by everyone but me because while the lightbulb shines brightly on my head I could feel how my fingers were involuntarily shaking against my desk and that my throat was becoming excessively dry but also filling with saliva, basically, I knew what was coming. So while I usually would raise my hand I launched myself out of the chair, not caring that the professor was yelling at my retreating form. 

The best part of vomiting in the bathroom was that I actually made it into the bathroom, the worst part was that I hadn't puked since I was 10 years old and the feeling was so foreign to me that I didn't pay attention to the hands that had begun to rub soothing circle on my back. If I wasn't so focused on getting out of the room I may have paid more attention to the person following me out of the room but at this point, I didn't care. I gagged a few more times, keeping my eyes closed until I heard the sound of the flushing and when I opened them I knew I should have probably been more surprised to see his hand on the handle. 

"This is just great," I groaned leaning my forehead on my forearm. The taste in my mouth was so unbelievably icky that I almost didn't let myself cringe at the hoarse sound of my voice. "Sehun?" I let out softly because whispering was the only volume I could hit without sounding like I was an avid smoker. 

His hand remained on my back, the other leaving my view to meet my shoulder. "Yes, Sora?" I'm pretty sure if I wasn't already housing a fever that the sound of his voice could clear my sinuses. It was low and laced with concern and I'm pretty sure it could solve all of our worldly conflicts. 

"I drove here and I don't think I can drive. Sooyoung went home for the weekend and none of my other friends have cars. I knew we didn't end things so well but can you do me a favour and drive me home?" The words came from my mouth like sandpaper running across my tongue. While I wanted to ingest an entire bottle of mouthwash I also didn't want anything in my stomach in fear that I would just puke again. 

To my satisfaction, I didn't have to wait much longer before he said, "Of course, Sora." Jeez, his voice was like honey. With my stomach feeling empty and my head a little hazy I didn't think of stopping Sehun as he helped me off the ground, his arms hooking around me before hoisting me off the ground. 

"Sorry I'm quite heavy," I muttered before sniffling loudly. There was weakness covering every inch of my body so Sehun was essentially lifting dead weight. 

Sehun chuckled, bracing me as I got my balance again. "You're not heavy Sora." 

I sniffled again, "Okay." I was too tired to fight with him. Sickness does that to you. "Sorry, you had to see that," I said, holding my sweater sleeve over my mouth so he wouldn't have to suffer from post-vomit breath. "Can you do me another favour?" 

I watched his eyes narrow curiously. 

"I left my bag and coat in there. If I go back in there I think I might topple down the stairs." Honestly, the run up the stairs took every ounce of balance that I could muster and I knew that I would lose my footing if I were to try and get myself to the front row again. 

Sehun frowned (it made me pout, Sehun frowning was a face that I didn't like. It made me sad.) "Are you dizzy?" Not having the brain power to lie I simply nodded. "Have you eaten anything today?" I shook my head and froze when I felt the coolness of his hand on my forehead and the added coolness of the ring on his middle finger. "You're burning up." 

"Thank you for stating the obvious." The words were jumbled together but the snarky addition to my voice was definitely there. Sehun met my eyes with an amused glint, a small chuckle sounding in the stall. The stall. "Sehun you do realise we're still in the ladies' toilets right?" He also had yet to remove his hand from my forehead, normally I would say something but it felt nice against my burning face. 

"Yeah, you're still in the ladies' toilets." A new voice entered our conversation and we both froze. "Please remove yourself before I quarantine this entire floor." 

Sehun pushed the stall door open revealing a girl who was not older than either of us. Her arms were crossed and she did not look pleased. With a swallow I let out a hoarse, "I don't think you hold that authority," 

I was surprised by the loud laugh Sehun let out, a cackle that he silenced with the hand he hadn't put on my forehead. He tugged on my arm, setting me off balance and it felt like my brain fell to one side of my head which mad

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter