I'll Protect You

Sweet Family [Khunwoo Oneshot Series]

A/N: Long time no see?? Whoops, I kinda haven't had the time to update this, but today I was struck by sudden inspiration - then, this kinda happened haha...

Warning for suggestive scenes, in case you’re adverse to that. It doesn’t go much beyond kissing, but you know what’s implied (and tbh it would’ve gone further had I not restrained myself to keep the rating down lol).

 

Mae, 4 Years Old

It was rather late at night when Nichkhun finally got home, toeing off his shoes with relief as he dropped his bags by the door. He moved almost silently to his bedroom, the same one that he shared with Wooyoung, trying to make as little noise as possible so that he didn’t run the risk of waking their daughter as he passed by her room. Recently, Mae had been a nightmare to get to sleep, due to the spate of raging thunderstorms going on outside over the course of the last week. Thus, when she had finally fallen into a slumber, Nichkhun really didn’t want to disturb her.

Having been working late at the JYP offices for the last few days, Nichkhun was exhausted and fully intended to do nothing but collapse into his bed, beside Wooyoung, and be rewarded for his hard work by some well earned snuggling followed by some deserving sleep.

'I wonder if Woo is still awake,’ he pondered as he opened the bedroom door with a soft click. He peeked into the darkness, and to his delight, Wooyoung lay there staring directly back at him with a huge smile on his features as if he had been anticipating Nichkhun’s entrance. “I missed you, baby,” the older whispered as he undressed down to his underwear and slipped under the duvet next to his lover. He never slept in pyjamas, because he liked to feel Wooyoung’s closeness as he slept in his arms - it reminded him how lucky he was to love and be loved by such a wonderfully brilliant man.

He shuffled over closer to Wooyoung, seeking out his warmth as the younger man slipped his arms around his torso and rested his head against Nichkhun’s chest. Nichkhun breathed out a sigh of relief, relaxing into his pillow as he felt Wooyoung nuzzling his bare chest with the tip of his nose. He shuddered slightly without realising it when he felt Wooyoung’s breath ghost over his skin, and his mouth curled into a smile when he felt his lover’s lips press against his shoulder affectionately.

“You’re cold,” Wooyoung complained when Nichkhun’s legs entangled with his own. He scrunched his nose cutely, and the older man chuckled at his reaction before placing a closed-mouth kiss to Wooyoung’s temple.

“It’s because it’s like winter outside, even though it’s supposed to be summer! I’ll soon warm up,” Nichkhun laughed quietly as he pulled Wooyoung closer to himself. He soon felt sleep start to claim him, and when he looked at Wooyoung, he was also starting to drift off. He placed his head atop his lover’s, burying his face in his hair, and let his eyes flutter shut. It wasn’t long before they had both dozed off peacefully, right in the place where they both felt the most comfortable.

That was, until a loud rumbling noise was heard outside the window, followed by a flash of light that momentarily lit up the room. Both men were instantly disrupted, stirring from the sleep that they had only just fell into, and Nichkhun felt Wooyoung jerk in his arms with a noise that sounded eerily like a squeak. They listened to the soft pitter-pattering of rain on the window, and when they thought there would be no more thunder, and began to settle back down, there was another terrifying crash that resonated around the building.

Wooyoung yelped loudly and buried his face into Nichkhun’s chest as he sunk lower under the duvet to hide himself. Nichkhun knew that he notoriously hated thunderstorms, and he hated the ones that came accompanied by lightning even more, so as he tightened his grip around Wooyoung to comfort him, he wasn’t too worried. Sometimes though, Wooyoung reacted to them worse than Mae did - and Nichkhun often wondered who was really more childlike amongst them. He peeked under the covers, and chuckled when he saw the cute pout on his husband’s face as he frowned back at him.

“Khunnie…” Wooyoung whimpered, cowering under the covers even further when another flash of lightning lit up the room. “I’m scared.” He curled up into a tight ball against Nichkhun’s side, flinching every time there was a rumble of thunder from outside, or whenever the rain became heavier as it hit the window.

Nichkhun the younger man’s hair, and patted his back comfortingly, and then shuffled further down the bed so that he was enveloped by the duvet along with Wooyoung. He lay in the dark, under their makeshift tent, and felt as Wooyoung held onto him with dear life, whimpering and flinching every now and then - he wondered how on earth he could make him feel better; how he could make him forget the bad weather outside, if even just for a moment.

“Wooyoungie, what am I to do with you, huh?” He smiled through the dark, placing his hand on his husband’s shoulder. He smoothed his thumb over the material of his pyjama shirt - Wooyoung never slept in just his underwear like Nichkhun did, since he was rather sensitive to the cold. He could feel Wooyoung’s breath on his cheek from where he lay rather close to him all of a sudden; if he turned his head, their lips would probably meet. “You don’t have to be scared, I’m here for you, honey…”

Wooyoung finally chuckled, only quietly but it was a start, and said, “I’ll be fine, right? It can’t hurt me…” He seemed to be stating the obvious, more to reassure himself than anything else. Nichkhun wrapped his arms around Wooyoung’s waist tightly with a short laugh, and stared into Wooyoung’s eyes - not that he could see much since the duvet over their heads blocked out most of the light.

“Even if it could, I’ll protect you,” Nichkhun whispered, a smile pulling at his lips as he finally turned his head and pressed his mouth against Wooyoung’s. His eyes fluttered shut as he kissed Wooyoung’s trembling form, and he felt his husband smile and press back, clearly satisfied with his declaration. Nichkhun angled his head, and rolled their bodies so that he lay with Wooyoung beneath him now, kissing him with all his might to make him forget about the bad weather outside their home.

He felt Wooyoung flinch beneath him when yet another rumble resonated from the skies, and he pulled back. “Shh, baby… It’s nothing to be scared about…” He sighed, brushing his thumb over Wooyoung’s cheek to calm his nerves. He could feel through the darkness as Wooyoung shivered against his touch, and heard every whimper signifying his scared nature. It hurt Nichkhun sometimes to see his fragile self, but he knew that with the right support and encouragements, Wooyoung could face his fears.

“I need to check on Mae,” Wooyoung said, all of a sudden remembering that his daughter was probably just as scared as he was. However, he felt Nichkhun shake his head.

“She’ll be fine; she knows where we are…” He pointed out, clearly confident in his daughter’s abilities to deal with her own fears. “She won’t grow up strong if we keep wrapping her in cotton wool like we tend to do.” Truthfully, Wooyoung understood what his husband meant, because he was a little too overprotective of her. Perhaps it would be good if they allowed her some space, since he knew she would come and find them if she needed to. He found himself nodding affirmatively at Nichkhun’s words.

Having reached a consensus, Nichkhun reconnected his lips with Wooyoung’s again, pushing deeper this time to distract him, and Wooyoung’s fingers trailed up over his , over his shoulders and tangled in his messy hair. Their legs even wound together, as did their hands eventually, and soon Wooyoung found himself lost in the moment, lost in the affection that Nichkhun was showing him. All of a sudden, the thunder didn’t matter, and neither did the rain hitting the window.

Nichkhun’s mouth began to move downwards, nibbling at Wooyoung’s jawline slightly, eliciting small gasps from the man beneath him. Wooyoung didn’t want to be too loud, God forbid they disturb Mae, but he couldn’t help himself. Nichkhun just always seemed to have an effect on him, and brought out the best in him.

“Khunnie…” He groaned slightly when he felt Nichkhun’s hands creeping underneath his pajama shirt. It had been a while since they had experienced anything like this, since fatherhood tended to take away the opportunities to spend the night exploring each other, like they used to do. It was kind of impossible when Mae decided she wanted to sleep directly in the middle of their bed, rather than in her own bedroom - not that either of them were mean enough to deny her of her wishes. The both of them were too soft on their daughter sometimes.

Nichkhun hummed, returning briefly to Wooyoung’s mouth, biting lightly on his bottom lip before pulling away. He stared down at Wooyoung, though they were still under the covers since neither had bothered to throw them off, so he couldn’t really see his face all that well. Nevertheless, he could feel as Wooyoung breathlessly huffed against his cheek, and he leaned closer, nuzzling his nose against the younger man’s face.

“It’s been a long time, hm?” He whispered, pressing his lips against the shell of Wooyoung’s ear. He felt the man beneath him shudder, this time from anticipation instead of fear, and his own lips stretched into a smile. Nichkhun was about to kiss Wooyoung once again, when he heard the quiet creaking sound of the door come from outside the bed sheets covering them. Somehow, he knew exactly who would be standing there when he lifted the blanket and groaned slightly before burying his face in the crook of Wooyoung’s neck briefly. “How does she always interrupt us when we get to this point?” He whispered into Wooyoung’s ear.

He rolled over to lay next to Wooyoung as the younger lifted the covers - lo-and-behold there stood their four year old daughter, teddy bear hanging limply from her hand, miserable expression upon her face. Despite his frustration, Wooyoung’s annoyance melted away when he saw Mae’s tear stained cheeks as she came further into the room.

“What is it, Pumpkin?” Nichkhun asked, concern suddenly lacing his voice as he sat up to pick up his daughter and sit her on the mattress, next to Wooyoung.

“Scared of the storm…” She mumbled tiredly, hugging her teddy bear close to her chest as she was pulled into her father’s caring embrace. Wooyoung the top of her head gently, soothingly, now not caring that they had been interrupted. If anything, their daughter was the most important part of both of their lives. “Can I sleep with you, Papa?” Mae asked tentatively, peeking up at the younger father.

“Of course. We’ll protect you.” Wooyoung smiled, shuffling so there was enough room between himself and Nichkhun. Mae crawled between them, depositing herself right in the middle, and Nichkhun pulled the blanket up to cover the three of them. Nichkhun wrapped his arm loosely around his daughter as she grappled at Wooyoung’s hand on her other side. Nichkhun chuckled to himself, realising now that he had two scaredy-cats to take care of, should the weather make another turn for the worse. Still, he wouldn’t change a thing when he had both his daughter and his husband within arms reach.

That’s how their little family slept that night, peacefully. Despite the storm that raged on outside, and despite the interruptions that Nichkhun and Wooyoung faced, it turned out to be a perfect night.