Little Adventurer

Sweet Family [Khunwoo Oneshot Series]

Mae, 1 year, 1 month old

"Daddy! Papa!" Mae squealed from where she waddled between her fathers, Nichkhun on the left and Wooyoung on her right. She attempted to pull them along, but her wobbling legs were not yet that accustomed to walking.

Nichkhun held on to her hand tightly, fearful she would get too excited and run off, whilst Wooyoung looked on, chuckling at her excitable nature.

It was a Saturday morning, and the two men had decided to take their daughter to the zoo. When they had seen Mae fascinated by a documentary on television involving some African giraffes, they thought it would be fun to bring her to see them in real life.

As they neared the large exhibit, Wooyoung stooped and picked her up, balancing her on his hip. He shifted so that she could see over the wooden barrier, and he smiled as her face lit up.

Nichkhun peeked over Wooyoung's shoulder, pointing to the long-necked creatures that wandered about slowly. He turned to his daughter and said, "Look Mae! They're like the ones on television!"

Mae looked in awe at the massive giraffes, eyes wide as if she'd seen something she had only ever dreamt of. Which was half true.

"Do you want to feed them?" Wooyoung asked sweetly, looking at his little girl. She nodded quickly, reaching out with her tiny arms in the direction of the exhibit. Wooyoung laughed then looked at the line to the feeding area, "We'll have to wait a while..."

Nichkhun looked at his watch, "It's alright, we've got all day." He wrapped his arm around Wooyoung's waist, quickly kissed his cheek and lead them towards the queue.

It took a while to get to the front, and in the heat, abnormal for the time of year, the fathers worried over their daughter. They relaxed a little when she seemed not to be affected by it however, and Wooyoung whispered in his husband's ear, "Do you think she's having fun?"

"I hope so, the tickets to this place were expensive enough!" Nichkhun exclaimed whilst still whispering. This elicited an eyeroll from the other man, who looked at Mae - who was now tugging on her father's trouser leg affectionately, a giant grin on her face which seemed to reach her eyes.

Wooyoung took Nichkhun's hand into his own, lacing their fingers together, "Does that matter?"

Nichkhun sighed, staring into his husband's eyes. Who could resist them? "Not particularly, I suppose I'm just a ridiculously frugal person," he chuckled, shaking his head. They moved forward again, and then they were at the front of the line.

Mae ran - well, more like wobbled cautiously - towards the zookeeper who held out half of a carrot towards her. She took it, and then looked up at the barrier separating her from the enclosure. She frowned cutely, and called to her parents who had approached behind her.

"Daddy, help me please!"

She soon felt the strong hands of her father hook under her arms, and Nichkhun lifted her briefly, long enough for one of the yellow creatures to take the carrot from her grasp. She gasped as the animal wrapped its long tongue around the vegetable, her hand in the process.

"Eww, it me!" She cried out, causing Nichkhun to jump as he put his daughter back down.

"Mae, you scared me," he laughed as he deposited her back on her feet. Wooyoung took Mae's hand, and felt her tug again as she said she was ready to move on to the next exhibit.

Later on that day, Wooyoung suggested they stopped to eat lunch. They found a little cafe near the penguins - something else they found Mae seemed to love and begged for a picture with - and sat down to eat.

Halfway through their lunch, Wooyoung heard his husband bark out a short laugh and raised his head to stare at him inquisitively. This seemed to only make him laugh even harder, and provoked Mae into her own fit of giggles when she looked up at him.

"W- -what?" He stuttered, confused and suddenly feeling eerily self conscious about why his family were dying of laughter, "Khunnie, what's so funny?" He whined, because he clearly didn't get whatever joke they found to be so hilarious.

Nichkhun was unable to respond to the other man through his laughter, so he just pointed to Wooyoung's face before covering his own with his hands. Wooyoung turned to his daughter, and she mimicked her father's actions, but managed to answer him.

"Papa's got ice cream all over his face!" She giggled, spurred on by Nichkhun's hysterical laughter.

Nichkhun, who didn't even know why he found it so funny, simply grabbed a napkin and motioned for Wooyoung to come closer. The other man leaned over the table, and felt Nichkhun wipe the napkin over his face.

"Gosh, Woo. Anyone would think you were the child..." He smiled as he cleaned the ice cream from his husband's face.

Wooyoung stared into Nichkhun's dark brown eyes, watching as his gaze moved slowly over his face. When Nichkhun retracted his arm, he quickly pushed their lips together and released him again, sitting back on his chair with a satisfied thud.

"Maybe I am still a child, you should know I'm never going to grow up," he said, picking his spoon up and digging it back into his strawberry ice cream.

 

A/N: Apologies for the short length, I haven't had a lot of time this week. I'll make it up to you guys because the next chapter is longer! <3