Sweet New Beginnings

Sweet Family [Khunwoo Oneshot Series]

Mae, 0 years old.

The door closed with a short, satisfying click, and Nichkhun and Wooyoung entered their apartment. As Wooyoung turned to lock the door behind them, Nichkhun moved into the living room, a small carrier in his hands. As he set it down, he bent to look inside, at the tiny baby that lay slumbering within.

“I can’t believe this is happening,” Wooyoung muttered from behind him, the volume of his voice low to avoid disturbing their child. He bent down next to his husband, scared to even breathe when he looked at the infant. “She looks so fragile…”

Nichkhun nodded back, smiling joyfully when he met the other man’s eyes. “I know. Welcome home, little Mae.”

He reached forward, daring to gently her soft cheeks, hoping that she wouldn’t suddenly wake up and start crying. This whole parenting thing was wholly new, and also wholly terrifying - a trip into the unknown for both of the new fathers involved.

The pair had been considering the possibility of having a family for a while now, since they had been married for two years already, but it wasn’t until recently that they had gone through with the plan. After looking into adoption, they had now brought their daughter home for the first time, and their family finally started to feel whole.

“I’ve always wanted a daughter,” Wooyoung finally felt brave enough to breathe properly, having realised that Mae wasn’t going to wake up so easily. He stared in wonderment, with more than enough affection already, despite having known his little girl properly for less than a few hours.

He stood up, pulling his husband up with him, wrapping his long arms around the taller man’s neck loosely. Reaching up with his whole body, he tilted his head to place a kiss on Nichkhun’s pinkish lips. As he pulled away, he spoke softly;

“You know, Khunnie, I’ve got everything I could ever want in life,” he shrugged his shoulders, observing as the other man in question raised his eyebrow expectantly, “A dream job, a wonderful husband who I adore so much, and now this-” he gestured to Mae, “-a beautiful daughter who is going to change our lives together.”

Nichkhun leaned in to kiss his cheek, as he hummed in a sort of contented response. He looked at his daughter again (in fact he was having a hard time looking away, as if it would all disappear) and grinned widely.

“I want to hold her. Do you think she’ll wake up?”

Wooyoung pursed his lips at his husband’s question, but then shook his head, “It’ll be fine if you’re gentle.”

He helped Nichkhun pick Mae up, supporting her head as they tried to keep her covered with the blankets she was swathed in. As soon as he held the baby in his arms, Nichkhun gasped.

“She’s so light…” He whispered, cradling her close to his chest. It wasn’t the first time he had held a baby, but this time it felt somewhat different - more precious, because this time, it was his own child he was embracing.

He stared at her face; cute chubby cheeks, flushed a rosy red, gorgeously wide chocolate brown eyes, a tiny button nose. Nichkhun knew then that his daughter was going to be beautiful when she grew up, and he felt a sudden fatherly pride shoot through him. His eyes started to water a bit, so he turned away from Wooyoung embarrassed.

“Are you crying, love?” Wooyoung reached over and caught his cheeks in his hands. Nichkhun had no choice but stare into his husband’s searching eyes, vision clouded by the threat of emotional, but definitely happy, tears. Wooyoung wiped his tears from his eyes, laughing to break the mood a little, and caressed Nichkhun’s cheek with his thumb.

Nichkhun tried to shake his head, but he ended up chuckling at his own reaction to the tiny baby in his arms. When Wooyoung released him, he peeked down at Mae, who was still fastly asleep, unaware that her father was holding her.

“I’m just an emotional sap,” he smiled at Wooyoung, who pecked him on the lips again quickly, satisfied to know that Nichkhun’s tears were only because of his joy.

“You better not be like this every time Mae does something cute,” Wooyoung laughed, still quietly, eliciting a similar response from his partner.

Mae suddenly made a gurgling noise, stirring in her sleep, but she didn’t fully wake up. Wriggling a small bit, she caused Nichkhun to coo at her as he watched her nose scrunch up at something. He breathed out, not realising he had been holding his breath again, and said, “I don’t think I can guarantee that, Woo.”

Wooyoung laughed, patting him on the shoulder as he moved in the direction of the kitchen. He motioned for Nichkhun to follow him, calling, “Come on, let’s let her sleep. It’s been a long day already, let’s make some tea and relax…”