Chapter 9: Atonement

Love and Kpop

Several months went by and we had all pretty much forgotten the bad times and were focusing on the present and dreaming of the future. I got a text one day from a number I didn’t recognize saying to meet at a nearby coffee shop. I decided to be cautious and I asked Stephanie to come with me. We got there early, ordered drinks and waited to see who the mystery person would be walking through the doors. How surprised we were to see Taecyeon walk in wearing his military uniform. I looked at Stephanie, she looked at me, both of us in shock.

“Annyeonghaseyo.” He said and bowed slightly then sat down in front of us. I waved forgetting how to speak momentarily. Stephanie seemed to be having the same difficulty. Taecyeon was quiet for a moment. Finally able to speak and wanting to change the awkward air I asked: “Did you want some coffee?”

“Ani (no).” He said shaking his head and then he started: “I am not sure if I will express this correctly, but I want to apologize for everything.” I sat and listened.

“I know that there isn’t anything I can say or do to change everything that happened, but I want to you to know that I am sorry to you and Min Jun. Me and my brothers of 2pm have been together since before our debut and I have never really been away from them for a long period of time. Having gone to training and now serving I feel alone. And I have had time to think in that loneliness and I realized that if I continue to hold on so tightly to my brothers that I would end up alone because they would eventually hate me.”

“I don’t think they could ever hate you, I said, you guys really are like brothers you may not share blood, but you share an experience that ties you together.”

“Yes, and in my loneliness, I realized I have been hurting them.” He looked down as he was speaking to regain his composure. Min Jun has been living with a chip on his shoulder and I know I am the reason for that chip.”

I reached over and grabbed his hand.

He looked up at me. His eyes had welled with tears and he worked hard to keep them from falling.

“Taec, Min Jun is ok,” I said.

“I know he is, He said, that’s why I know I am wrong. He is ok because he has you now. And now I am the one in the military who is sad.”

“Don’t be sad, Taec, I said, everything is ok now,” I said squeezing his hand. “You only wanted the best for your brothers. Taec, I forgive you and I think Min Jun forgives you too.” I said.

“I have been too scared to talk to him, Taec said, the military has made him scary, he works out more than me. Your man will be all muscle when you see him.”

“Really!” I said.

Taec Yeon was shaking his head yes without out a smile.

“Wow, I said, I can’t wait to see that.”

“Yeah,” Stephanie said.

“He will be 2pm’s bodyguard now. It won’t be me and Chansung anymore.” Taec said. We all laughed. Getting serious again I said: “Taec talk to Min Jun he is waiting for you.” Taec only looked at me and shook his head yes.

“Ok, I’ve got to get back on base.” He said.

“Alright, and remember to go ahead and talk to Min Jun,” I told him.

He bowed and went on his way.

“Well, that was interesting,” Stephanie said.

“Yeah, I am glad he came to talk,” I told her.

“Seems like he needed to clear his conscience, Stephanie said, you were way too nice to him.”

“Why beat him when he is already down, I said, that kid has been beating himself up for the past several months.”

“Getting back to Min Jun’s muscles um… are you going to let me see them when he comes back?” Stephanie asked. I gave her a sharp look.

“I guess that is a no.”