Chapter 5: "You aren't even a Korean girl."

Love and Kpop

I curled up on the couch. What had I fallen into? And it happened so fast. One minute I was a just an English teacher at the elementary school and now I am an American k-pop groupie. I couldn’t sleep at all. With the lack of rest, I still pulled myself together for work. When I arrived at my office there was an envelope on my desk, in the envelope was a picture. The picture was dark but I could tell that it was from last night in front of my apartment with MinJun when we hugged. On the back of the picture, it said: “Die.” I ripped the picture and threw it away. Either there was a crazy teacher who was a 2pm fan doing this or a random crazy fan found out where I work. It was difficult but I made it through the day, but the innocence of the children helped me forget everything. I didn’t remember everything until my classroom was empty. I packed my things and walked out of the school. Outside there was a black car waiting. Nichkhun stepped out and opened the door. When I saw him I smiled and walked to the car.

“I think I owe you dinner.” He said.

I got in the car. He got in and we drove off. We were quiet for a while. I honestly didn’t want to talk about everything, but I had a feeling he would mention something.

“I saw what happened, with the eggs.” He started.

“Yeah, that was really crazy. I just froze in place.” I said. “If it wasn’t for Min Jun.”

Nichkhun was quiet and his expression changed.

“Yeah, I am sorry I wasn’t there for you.” He said. I wondered if he had seen the picture of me and Min Jun. He didn’t say anything else about the situation, so I didn’t mention anything.

“Do you like Italian?” He asked.

“Sure,” I said.

“Great I know a really nice place.” He said reaching over and holding my hand. Surprised I looked at him. He smiled. I smiled. His touch was kind, gentle and caressing. I sat back in my seat feeling calm and stress-free.

The restaurant was very nice. Once seated he pulled out the chair for me. Just as Min Jun had done the other night, Nichkhun ordered for me. Everything was the very best with Nichkhun. Everything was very classy. Everything about him was suave and polite. He was neat and manicured. I felt like this is how he would want his lady. He seemed to be the pampering type, as in he liked to be pampered and he liked to pamper his girl. He order us both the lobster tail in a spicy marinara sauce with angel hair pasta. It was delicious, paired with the sweet wine of Moscato. Everything was easy going with Nichkhun. He was easy to talk to, easy to get along with and easy to look at. Being with him made me feel like a princess. Even as a measly teacher, at that moment, in that restaurant I felt like I was with a Prince and I was the Princess.

“How was everything?” He asked when we were back in the car.

“Totally makes up for the other day,” I told him.

“Ha, I am not even finished working my magic.” He said.

Soon we were at the Namsam Tower overlooking what felt like all of Korea. For the first time all night I noticed Nichkhun was uneasy as if he was always looking over his shoulder or as if he was hiding. He brought a hat with him and put his collar up. That’s when I remembered he was after all a pop star.

“Hey if you want to get out of here…” I started.

“No no no…its cool.” He said.

“I don’t want you to be uncomfortable,” I said.

“I am ok,  he wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me closer, I want you to enjoy this.” He said. My stomach fluttered a little from his touch.

“Isn’t the city beautiful?” He asked.

“It’s something,” I said.

“You don’t like this?” He asked.

“Well, Seoul is not home,” I said.

“You are right. He said. I miss home sometimes.” 

“You mean Thailand?" I asked.

"I mean Thailand and America."  He said. 

"You have two homes?" I asked.

“Yes, I miss them both.” He said. I miss America and I miss Thailand. Both places have different things that are beautiful. I even miss New Zealand sometimes.”

“New Zealand?” I asked.

“Yeah, I lived there for school.” He said.

“Wow,” I said. “Makes my little Dover, Delaware seem so small.”

“I’ve never been to Delaware. Maybe you could show me.” He said.

“There is nothing there,” I said.

“Were you raised there?” He asked.

“Yes. My whole life.” I said.

“Well, I want to see the place that helped nurture such a lovely girl.” He said.

“It's not as glamorous as your life,” I said.

“Glamour is in the eye of the beholder.” He said. I looked him, he looked at me, and I busted out laughing.

“Was that too corny?” He asked chuckling.

“Yes, just a bit,” I said.

He smiled even though he seemed slightly embarrassed.

“But it was cute,” I said.

He squeezed me a little and said: “You're cute.”

We looked out over the city for a few more minutes before leaving. Soon we arrived in front of my building.

“Well,” He started.

“Well,” I said.

There was an awkward silence.

“Would you like to come up for coffee or tea,” I asked.

“If you don’t mind.” He said.

“I’m asking,” I said

“Ok sure.” He said.

We went upstairs to my apartment. Stephanie was listening to music.

“Have a seat, I told him, did you want coffee or tea?”

“Coffee.” He answered. I went to the kitchen to get started but was startled by a scream. I went into the Livingroom. Stephanie was standing there hair wet, body covered in a towel looking at a frightened Nichkhun.

“Oh, Stephanie, this is NIchkhun, Nichkhun this is Stephanie,” I said. I went back into the kitchen. Stephanie soon followed.

“Danielle, you have Nichkhun sitting on our couch.” She said.

“Yes, I know,” I said.

“How are you even relaxed?” She asked.

“Probably because I am not a 2pm fan,” I said.

“There is no one like you,” Stephanie said.

“So I have been told,” I said. Stephanie go put clothes on.”

She left the kitchen as I prepared a tray with the coffee. Nichkhun was still looking a bit shocked.

“Nichkhun, are you surprised because she was half or because she screamed?” I asked.

“Um could be both.” He said.

“You mean you guys don’t have girls running around when you go on tour?” I asked. He had a blank expression that looked as if there was truth to what I was asking.

“Yeah nevermind,” I said knowing these grown men probably had some interesting stories about females.

“Stephanie seems fun.” He said.

“She has definitely helped me settle into Korea,” I said. As we were just starting our coffee, Nichkhun’s phone rang.

“Yeoboseyo.” He answered. He spoke in Korean and it didn’t sound good.

“I’m sorry, he said ending the phone call, I have to go.”

“Is everything ok?” I asked.

“Not really.” He said putting on his coat.

I walked him to the door.

“Listen, don’t leave the house tonight.” He said. He gave me a hug and kissed my hand before walking out. I stood there wondering what happened. I had a feeling it was about our date. About 5 minutes later my doorbell rang. I was kind of scared to open the door. They knocked. I opened the door and standing there was Taec Yeon. I let him in.

“Please have a seat,” I said.

“No this will be quick.” He said. Just then Stephanie was walking into the living room still wearing nothing but a towel.

“Hey, Danielle-" she stopped when she saw Taec Yeon.

“How are you still in a towel!” I exclaimed. “This is Taec Yeon, Taec Yeon this is Stephanie.”

“Hi.” Stephanie was starstruck again.

“Go put clothes on please!” I said. In a daze, she walked back to her room. I turned back to Taec Yeon, who I was surprised was even here to speak to me.

“I am sorry if this comes off as mean, he started, but you need to leave Min Jun and/or Nichkhun alone.” I was taken back.

“Huh?” I said.

“Leave them alone.” He said. “Do you not see the damage you are doing to our image?”

“Your image,” I said.

“Yes, our fans want to see us as single men and not dating.” He said. I was hurt by his comment. Who did he think he was?

“Plus you aren’t even a Korean girl, we are very nationalistic and you just won’t do.” He said.

“Is that right?” I asked.

“Yes.” He said.

I really wanted to just lay it right into him. How dare he tell me who I can and can’t date. How dare he come here and speak for the members of the group.

“Listen I know I am coming off as a bad guy. I have tried avoiding you.” He said.

“Yes, you are and I noticed,” I said.

“But if you like Nichkhun or Min Jun, leave them alone. Min Jun will have to go into the military soon anyway. NIchkhun is nice to everyone. He is a foreigner so he is always polite so that people will like him.” He explained.

“You are kind of being mean to you friends,” I said. “I mean what have they said about this?”

He sighed as if he was mad because I wasn't getting it.

“They don’t really know what’s good for them.” Taec Yeon said.

“Wow, and you do?” I asked.

“I know what is good for the group, I know what is important to our success.” He said. “To be honest Min Jun will probably use you and Nichkhun will just lose interest.”

I stood there holding back tears.

“But right now we are all just friends,” I said.

“We are men, how long do you think they want to remain friends?” He asked.

That’s when I felt a single tear fall down my cheek.

“Get out please,” I said not understanding why I was being polite.

“I am truly sorry. I just don’t want what we worked for ruined over a girl.” He said walking to the door.

I just nodded as he walked out. I shut the door behind him. I was numb. I fell onto the couch tears pouring down my cheeks in a silent cry.

Stephanie came out finally dressed.

“What happened, where did he go?” She asked. She noticed my tears and came over to me.

“Talk to me.” She said.

“I can’t right now,” I said softly. Stephanie stayed quiet and sat with me until we both fell asleep.