vanilla

blue spring

A/N: I've rewritten some parts of older chapters, but they're not too drastic of a change so I don't think you need to re-read them, but it might be a good idea. Sorry for the inconvenience!


     It wasn't a particularly windy day, but Daehyun was cold so he held a hand warmer tightly in his grip. It was fairly silent, the only sound he could hear being the occasional creaking of the swing that he sat on. He stared at the park in front of him, simpering at a memory of playing hide and seek with old friends in the same place years before hand. 

     He took in a deep breath, trying to collect his thoughts. Youngjae had abandoned him in the convenience store an hour before, leaving him standing with his mouth agape and a flurry of questions. Had he said something wrong? Did Youngjae hate him for some reason? Was Youngjae disgusted by him? 

     The ideas came and went, each laying more weight to his shoulders which slowly began to slump more and more. 

     He hated Youngjae for doing this to him. At least, he tried to convince himself that he did. But it was hopeless. He loved that boy too much. 

-

     The following day, it was evident to Daehyun that Sangil and Euijin really did hate him. When he waved to them, he was ignored. When he went to say hi, they walked in the opposite direction. Daehyun felt truly alone as he stood in the courtyard, mouth hung open as he stared at the retreating figures. He wanted to call out to them to apologise but the words were lost in his throat. And slowly but surely, a tear fell from his eye like blood from a cut finger.

      He fled to the closest bathroom, ignoring bewildered looks from the senior students as he abruptly entered and flung himself to the nearest sink. He gathered water from the tap into his cold hands and splashed it across his face. The silent tears he shed didn't stop, but at least they were masked. 

     He heard the footsteps of the retreating students and sigh fell from his chapped lips before Daehyun buried his face into his wet hands, cold, peckish, uncomfortable and utterly unhappy. The thoughts of being alone ate him away. 

-

     Daehyun found himself staring at Euijin's back during their first class, the teacher's words lost on him. He was called to answer a question and felt embarrassed to admit he hadn't been listening, suffering a scornful chiding by Mr. Yang that had no affect on him. Sangil and Euijin shared a glance, the former pursing his lips together to keep in his laughter while the later seemed simply indifferent. He waited for either one to look at him but they were successful in focusing their attention back on the class. 

     At the first break, they were quick to leave the classroom and Daehyun dared not follow. Instead he sat with his head stuck in a textbook, yet the words might well have been another language for he didn't pay any attention to it. He was stuck in a whirlwind of his own thoughts. 

     He was only pulled from his mind when he heard the scraping of chair legs on the tiled floor, dragged towards his desk. Jongup sat down before him, the slight hint of a smile on his lips. For a brief moment, Daehyun felt the weight of sadness subside. 

     "Um...I just wanted to say thank you. For yesterday. You stood up for me and all so....thank you" Jongup placed a candy bar on the desk and slid it over to Daehyun. "I know it isn't much, but here's just something...because...well...thank you" It was awkward and entirely endearing. But Daehyun couldn't accept it.

     "You don't need to thank me." He murmured, voice hoarse. Jongup looked mildly surprised and Daehyun just knew the question of 'why' burnt onto the younger's tongue. "You say I was sticking up for you but...I was almost entirely thinking of myself. I should probably be apologising for dragging you into it."

     Jongup nodded slowly and flashed a large smile. "I'm still thankful. It made me happy." He stood and then was gone, returning to his seat across the classroom. Daehyun felt Jongup's expectant eyes on him and he carefully picked up the candy bar, tentatively unwrapping it. He saw a smile in the corner of his eye and then Jongup's attention was gone. It tasted entirely of sweetness.

-

     Lunch came quickly when Daehyun's mind wasn't focused on the lessons, and when it did he slowly but surely made his way over to Jongup's desk. We're the same, he thought. Daehyun hoped they could find a friend in one another, and he wanted to be courageous enough to ask Jongup if they could eat lunch together. With that thought in mind, he stopped in front of Jongup's desk and opened his mouth to speak.

     "Youngjae!" A foreign voice called out from the door to the classroom, and Daehyun froze. His eyes travelled away from Jongup towards the person that sat behind him. The person that stood up with a content smile on his face before he jogged over to meet the boy waiting for him at the door. Someone from the advanced class, Daehyun guessed. 

      "Hey, Daehyun." Jongup greeted, packing away his books. "Actually, I was going to ask if you wanted to eat outside with me today? It's becoming warmer, I think."

     Daehyun quickly agreed to it, and the two boys made their way outside. They sat at bench and fell into silence. It was entirely awkward, neither knowing what to say that would be of interest to the other.

     Eventually, Miss Song interrupted their silence when she waltzed up to the two of them, pink lips stretched to show her toothy grin. She phatically asked them how they were before reminding them to clean up after themselves once they were finished eating. "Of course, ma'am." Jongup replied with an entirely fake smile, bowing his head slightly. 

     Miss Song smiled and walked away briskly but stopped when she came to a student in her path, bowing her head and he returned the gesture. Daehyun didn't hear much of the brief conversation, but he caught that she was expressing worry over the student's last test results. 

     "Why do you like to sit out here so much?" Miss Song left as Daehyun asked, and he stared in mild curiosity at the sad look etched upon the unnamed student's face. 

     "I don't know. Fresh air, I suppose. And it's interesting to see people from other classes instead of just ours." 

     "Bbang!" Daehyun turned away at the loud shout and Jongup flinched. The sound of loud steps on concrete had him curiously staring at a new student approaching the one who looked entirely sad after Miss Song's departure. The new one had rebellious blonde hair and a fierce grin as he spoke. "Yongguk, are you coming to the karaoke party tonight?" Daehyun heard a brief hesitation followed by a quiet no."You have to come" The blonde whined loudly. "You never do. This our second last class party...you haven't been to any of them"

     The one Daehyun supposed was Yongguk said, in a voice as cold as his look, "I don't want to." 

     "Please? You should at least come to one." Daehyun thought it was an odd thing to say to someone with such a tense and unresponsive face.

     "It has nothing to do with you, Himchan." He looked away from the two, feeling he had been listening too much and focused his attention on Jongup. The younger was taking bites too large for his mouth and he looked entirely cute as his cheeks puffed like a hamster. Seeing it served up the memory of standing across the street from the convenience store, a middle school Youngjae sitting by the window shoving noodles into his mouth on a cold day. Daehyun had been too nervous to even enter the store, and so he continued his path home.  

       Daehyun suddenly stood. "I have to go." He abandoned his half eaten food and a startled Jongup, quickly marching away as he became overwhelmed by the feelings attached to a mere memory. 

-

     Daehyun leant his back against a concrete wall in the courtyard, sliding down until he was sitting on the ground, arms wrapped around his legs. Painful words swam in the waters of his mind.

     We can't go back to that time though. 

     Why can't they? Is it so difficult? Perhaps this was merely an excuse.

      ...things are different now. We've changed.     

     Daehyun didn't want to accept the truth in those words. He hugged his legs closer to his chest and closed his eyes. 

     A giggle.

     A familiar, sweet giggle, disrupting his thoughts. He opened his eyes. 

     "You're all alone today." Youngjae had poked his head out of open window on the wall behind Daehyun, arms crossed over the frame. "I guess your 'friends' didn't forgive you."

     The first thing Daehyun noticed was his hair, his fringe wavering ever so slightly from the breeze. Then Daehyun noticed the bags under his eyes, evidence of how tired the younger truly was. Lastly he noticed the teasing smile that was painted across his soft-looking lips. 

     Daehyun stood and walked over the younger, frustrated at the amused expression he wore. "It's you fault." 

     Youngjae scoffed. "My fault?" He stood up straighter, fingers curling over the window frame. "Please, elaborate."

     Daehyun shook his head, not knowing what to say. "I have no friends because of you. Because I like you... I never liked boys until I met you." He looked down at the ground, fighting away the tears the seemed to well up from deep inside of him. "And I told them that I liked you, and I had no friends. Suwoong and Minhyuk hated me because of what I am. Because I liked you..." Daehyun blinked rapidly for a moment before raising his eyes once more. 

      Youngjae wore a saddened expression that lessened the anger Daehyun felt. "...I'm sorry." He whispered. "I didn't..." Youngjae, for the time in a while, appeared to not have the words he wanted to say. "I didn't make you like me, Daehyun. Please, you can't blame me for that."

     "...You're right. I'm sorry. It's my fault." The tears came slowly and from deep within, as if he was a tree with tears welling up from the roots. He cast his eyes down, not wanting to show himself so vulnerable in front of Youngjae. "It's my fault I'm gay. I'm the problem."

     To his surprise, Daehyun felt Youngjae's arm wrapped around his shoulder and he was pulled towards the younger. His head seemed to fit perfectly into the crook of Youngjae's neck.

     "Don't say that, Daehyun." Silence enveloped them for a moment, the elder's hot tears staining Youngjae's pristine white collar. "You're not, and you never will be, a problem." He sounded fragile as he spoke, faltering on some words. "It's not anyone's fault; it's just who you are. And there's nothing wrong with that." Youngjae's hand found his hair, and he gently the black strands. "You'll make new friends. One's who will accept you for who you are, because that's what real friends do."

      Daehyun lifted his head, and he found that Youngjae's eyes were glistening. He saw the slight tremble of his mouth when he next spoke. "You shouldn't ever be ashamed of yourself, okay?" 

     Daehyun nodded, and Youngjae said nothing more as the elder buried his face into his neck once more. He sighed, noting that Youngjae gave off the scent of vanilla.

     What do I do, Youngjae? I like you too much.

 


 

A/N: I'm sorry it took so long for me to update. I'll be getting out the next chapters much quicker! ^_^

As always, thank you for reading <3