prologue

blue spring

 

Middle School, Second Year

    The rain battered heavily against the pavements along with Daehyun's feet as he rushed down the street, desperate to be home as fast as his legs could take him. Inwardly he cursed himself for not taking an umbrella with him to school, but it was too late to be worrying about the past now. Instead he was worrying about the scolding he would receive from his mother upon returning home in this state. And the flu he was certain he would come down with.

     He quickly grew tired and searched for a place where he could find shelter, if only for a minute so that he could catch his breath. His eye fell upon the convenience store he often visited on hot summer days when ice cream was the most appetising way to cool himself down. Sadly, this was not one of those hot summer days. He ran across the street, arriving at the store's doorstep only to find that the place was shut, and there was no way inside.

    At least the overhanging roof provided shelter, so he opted to remain there until he could control his breathing. It was only when he heard the slight sound of shoes scuffing against cement that he realised another person had taken refuge under the small shelter the building provided.

    Daehyun looked in the direction of the sound immediately, staring through his wet bangs at the boy who adorned the same uniform as himself. And he found that boy was staring right back at him. He froze when he realised who it was.

    Youngjae.

    Daehyun instantly looked away, words of greeting caught in his throat.

    It wasn't as if they hadn't spoken before, because they had. But it was only a few times, and they had been surrounded by their respective friends each time. With no one around to carry the conversation but the two of them, Daehyun instantly shyed away. Besides, he did not know what to say that would impress.

    "It started raining pretty suddenly, didn't it?" Daehyun looked towards Youngjae, eyes widened in slight astonishment. The other sometimes looked so cold that Daehyun wondered if he was hated by him, so he was surprised when he willingly chose to start a conversation. But as Daehyun expected, he couldn't carry it and he mumbled a measly, "Y-yeah" in return. He brushed some of the water off his arm, sighing at himself.

     He focussed on the pitter patter of the rain as its fall lightened and his eyes went to a puddle on the street that grew larger with each passing moment. He could smell his own sweat as he ran his hand through his hair and it made him cringe. He tried to focus on something else and looked away from the puddle, instead looking in the store window behind him which had various flyers stuck to it. He noticed one in particular which listed the details for a firework show that was soon to be held. That's right...it will be summer soon.

    "Y-Youngjae, are you going to the summer festival?" He asked a little too loud as he briefly glanced towards the other boy. When they made eye contact, he tore his gaze away and let it settle on the puddle once more. "I don't know if anyone else is going. I was thinking I should ask Suwoong, but he doesn’t really like those sorts of things."

    When Youngjae remained silent, Daehyun pinched himself for ruining the quiet moment and probably disturbing his peace. He had been here first after all…

    Light footsteps resounded on the pavement but Daehyun didn't look up even when Youngjae was standing right next to him. "Here," The younger said, holding his PE shirt in his hands before he lightly placed it over Daehyun's head. "Use this" His hands dropped back to his sides and the elder looked up, only for Youngjae to look away. "...You'll catch a cold. You can use that to dry off"

    Daehyun placed his hands atop the shirt hesitantly, wondering whether he should reject or accept the offer. "Gym clothes?" He murmured before he slowly ran its thread across his hair.

    "It's okay. I haven't worn it" Daehyun nodded slightly, a smile creeping across his lips. Youngjae was...kind. "Except once"

    "Eh? Then you have worn it!" He was loud again, almost shouting the words.

    What he heard next was unexpected.

    Laughter. Sweet laughter, erupting from the boy who stood beside him. But then it was cut off by the sound of a phone ringing and in that moment, Daehyun cursed the man who had invented the telephone. Youngjae took the phone from his pocket and checked the ID, but he didn't answer it. He turned to Daehyun, an apologetic smile across his face.

    "I have to go." Was all he said before he left his spot under the shelter and was rushing down the street.

    "Wait, Youngjae!" Daehyun called out after him, taking a few steps in the direction the younger went. "Your shirt-"

    Youngjae turned around and stopped for a moment as he called out, "Keep it! It's only been worn once!" before he continued his way down the street. Daehyun only watched after him, hands curled around the shirt that still sat atop his head. He decided he ought to head home too, else he’d risk catching a cold.

    Daehyun said a cheerful hello to his mother upon arriving home, who raised an eyebrow in question. “What are you so happy about?” She asked.

    Thinking quickly, he told her his teachers hadn’t given any homework that day. Besides, he couldn’t tell the truth and say ‘The boy I like spoke to me today’ because his mother didn’t think boys should like other boys.

-

    "I know you said to keep it, but that just didn't feel right, so here." Daehyun held out the gym shirt to Youngjae which he had washed and dried the night before. "Uh...thank you...for letting me use it" The material left his hands and he watched as Youngjae shoved it into his school bag. "Um..." His voice trailed off as their eyes met.

    "You look like you want to say something else" Youngjae's voice was huskier in the morning, Daehyun noticed.

    "...you left so abruptly the other day. I just wanted to know if...you were okay." His voice faded a little at the end, but Youngjae caught his words and he smiled.

    "Mm, everything's fine."

    "That's good." They fell into an awkward silence and Daehyun shifted his weight to his other foot. He wondered if he should leave and go to his class but he made no effort to move, and neither did Youngjae.

    "Um," The younger began, pausing to scratch the back of his head, "...are you going to the fireworks show?"

    "Huh?"

    "Did you make plans with your friend? Suwoong?"

    "No. Not yet..."

    "Let's go together then" Daehyun looked up to find Youngjae smiling, and he slowly but happily nodded his head in agreement.

-

    7: 15 PM. At the clock in Hyunyoung park. That's where they agreed to meet. Daehyun arrived earlier than he was supposed to and waited patiently for Youngjae. He waited and waited, but Youngjae never came. He blamed himself; either he had gotten the meeting place wrong or he had done something to annoy Youngjae. That's what he decided. When it was 9:00 PM, he finally decided to leave. He tried to ignore the watering in his eyes as he cursed himself for not exchanging numbers with Youngjae.

    Over the summer holidays, he thought often about the boy he had met in front of the convenience that dreary day. The thought of seeing him again sprung about a feeling of excitement which Daehyun could not fathom. All he knew was that for the first time in his life, he wanted school to come faster.

    And on the first day back at school, his eyes searched through every crowd to find Youngjae.

    He was never once seen.

-

     “Hyunggeun?” Daehyun asked quietly as he approached the table of Youngjae’s best friend. They met eyes and Hyunggeun offered the gentle, friendly smile he always wore. “Do you know why Youngjae isn’t here? I- I haven’t seen him all week…”

     “You didn’t hear?” Hyunggeun asked, eyes widening. “Youngjae moved to another school.”

     “Another school?” Daehyun’s face fell and the fear that he wouldn’t see Youngjae ever again had him sinking his teeth into his lower lip. “What school was it?”

     “I don’t know. He didn’t say. He just sort of...left one day.”

     “O-Oh.” Daehyun nodded. “Do you think you could ask him the name of the school?”

     “Sure.” Hyunggeun smiled again, and Daehyun returned it with a weak one of his own. He returned to his own table and let out a shaky breath.

     Youngjae was….gone.