weak

blue spring

A/N: sorry if this chapter is kind of weird. I was just trying to follow the plot of the manga, but in a different setting.

also, kind of a double update. chapter 3 and 4. 


     "We can't go back to that time though...things are different now. We've changed."

    They thought so differently from each other; Daehyun believed with all his heart that Youngjae's return meant that there was a chance of something happening between them. Youngjae believed they had changed too much and dismissed the thought of any relationship between them. Daehyun thought that if they looked at the sky, they would see such different things. 

     Daehyun did not leave the park until the blue sky above bled into pink. Sorrow sat upon one shoulder and Frustration on the other, both whispering into his ears as he dragged himself home. Sorrow spoke with gentleness but told Daehyun harsh words. Sorrow said he wasn't worth Youngjae's love and that he never would be. Frustration didn't speak so much as screamed to Daehyun. Frustration said Youngjae was a bastard and didn't deserve Daehyun's love. He wasn't sure who to believe. 

     When he collapsed in his own bed, he screamed into the pillow and Sorrow and Frustration fled. He was left with Hope clinging to the tips of his fingers, whose voice had been drowned out by the others. Hope spoke in a calm whisper which soothed Daehyun immensely, chasing away Fear who had tried to speak as well. Hope told Daehyun that Youngjae's mind could be changed, but it would take time. 

     Daehyun fell asleep, thoughts of Youngjae swirling through his mind.

-

     Saturday was a day of sanguine dealings as Daehyun found an old middle school yearbook to search through. There were only two photos of Youngjae, but he smiled brightly at each of them, memories of a once-worn gym shirt flickering through his mind. Youngjae was once sugar, bounce, and curiosity.

     Now he was caffeine, snark, and indifference. 

     Monday morning came too quickly and Daehyun found himself at his desk, Sangil sitting to his right and Euijin to his left. The loud chattering of students served as the background music to the scene, but as if he were a character in a movie, Daehyun heard nothing. He did not register the bustling, the shouting, the quiet conversations between friends. Nor did he take notice of the boy clicking his fingers inches from Daehyun's face.

     His mind was elsewhere, completely taken over by one thought. 

     Youngjae, Youngjae, Youngjae.

     His mind was empty aside from that name and a memory of a lonely smile to match it. Like a demon plaguing his mind, refusing to leave him in peace. 

     He should hate Youngjae for doing this to him.

     "...hyun." 

     But his heart was not easily wavered by words of rejection. How could it be, when he spent years devoting thoughts to Youngjae.

     "...Daehyun."

     Perhaps this was more than just infatuation...

     "Daehyun, are you even listening!?" Sangil asked harshly, visibly annoyed. Daehyun heard the clicking of the tongue and focused his drooping eyes on the boy to his right. "Stop staring off into space." He lightly pushed Daehyun's forehead before he continued speaking, Daehyun now fully paying attention. "So, I picked up the-"

     "Look," Euijin interrupted him without much thought, eyes glued to the classroom door. The other two let their gazes wonder in the same direction, watching as Moon Jongup made his way to his desk. "His hair is stupid." 

     His friends laughed but Daehyun did not join. Instead, he chose to simply stare at Jongup. He listened on silently as his friends continued and he wondered if they would ever drop the topic. He was getting tired of hearing Jongup's name brought up so often in conversation. 

     "Daehyun, are you listening?" Eujin murmured, and he shifted in his seat uncomfortably. "What do you think?" Daehyun blinked a few times then asked her to repeat the question. "Sangil asked if you thought Jongup is actually cool. You know, because you aren't saying anything"

     Daehyun looked back and forth between the two, both sets of eyes boring into his as they waited. If he agreed with them about Jongup, he would be a cruel man, but he would be a cruel man with friends. If he denied it, he would be just, but would risk the chance of a lonely high school life. 

     "His personality ." Daehyun huffed out a hollow laugh and rubbed the back of his neck for a brief moment. He did not pay attention to the sound of footsteps behind him and continued on with words he didn't mean. "And I'm sure he does too, with whatever guy accepts his begging for ." 

     Sangil laughed and threw his head back, Euijin giggling slightly. But his attention went to the person who walked down the aisle behind Sangil, and Daehyun followed his gaze, making eye contact with the student.

      When he saw familiar eyes bearing an incredulous look, he froze. Youngjae...

    -

     On Tuesday, they had gym in the morning and while teams for a soccer game were picked, Daehyun found himself staring across at a blossom tree, beautifully swaying in the spring breeze. However, it's petals had begun to fall as spring was coming to a close. He felt like that tree; he felt like he was going to wither away just like its petals whenever he met Youngjae's cold gaze. It wasn't often, but it was often enough for Daehyun to hate himself for the hurtful words he so carelessly blurted about Jongup. 

     He wasn't surprised, but Jongup was the remaining student when the team choosing came to an end. Daehyun watched as the shorter boy walked over to the opposite team, standing a few steps away from the rest of his team. He looked away when he felt Sangil slapping his back lightly to get his attention, spewing the oh so inspirational words of "Let's crush that team!" 

     Halfway through the match, Daehyun fell over and hurt his knee. The class representative offered to take him to the infirmary, but Daehyun adamantly said no, wanting only to continue playing. After a small debate with the rep, they came to the agreement that Daehyun would go get a band aid for his bleeding leg and a drink of water if he so desired. 

     The infirmary was empty, so he stole a bandaid and left, jogging to the change room quickly to grab his water bottle. When he returned to the field, Sangil shouted at him to hurry up and he joined back in the game as though he had never left. 

     When the class was sent back to the change room, Daehyun was sulking for losing the game, his arms crossed over his chest. The other team were congratulating their new star player Baek Youngjae who just happened to score two goals. Sangil muttered something about him being a bastard and Daehyun directed the conversation else where as they began to change back into their school uniforms. 

     While he was pulling on his shoes, he felt someone shove his shoulder. "Yah! Jung Daehyun!" He heard, looking up to see Taewoong standing before him with a burning rage in his eyes. The rest of the students fell silent as they turned their attention to the boy who shouted angrily. 

     "Give it back." Taewoong held out his right hand, his other clenched into a fist. Daehyun only stared at him, confused. "Don't play dumb. I know you stole my phone. Give it back, you son of a ." 

     "W-What? I didn't steal your phone." 

     "Don't ing lie to me. You were the only person who came in here during the game, I know it was you. Give it back." 

      Daehyun froze for a moment, searching for words. It was true that he was the only person who had left the match, but he did not steal any phone. He was about to tell Taewoong once again that he didn't steal the phone but a voice cut him off before he even opened his mouth. 

     "Eh?" Sangil looked at him wearily. "Did you really take it, Daehyun?"

     His jaw dropped. Sangil, his supposed friend didn't believe him. "I- no, no. I didn't. I wouldn't-" 

     "You did take it! I know you did!" Taewoong shouted again. 

     "What makes you think he took it?" They both looked behind Taewoong at the boy who stood there, arms folded across his chest as he wore a slightly amused expression. Youngjae.

     "Huh?" Taewoong was still shouting, but Youngjae held an aura of calm around him. "Well, if it wasn't him then who was it? Did you take it?" 

     "...did you even check if he had it or did you just jump to conclusions?" Youngjae rolled his eyes and shifted his weight onto his left foot. "Did you even consider the fact that Daehyun most likely doesn't know the locker combination? Or that he's too stupid to pull something like that off?" Thanks, Youngjae. Daehyun mentally cursed. "I for one know that your friend Sangho just so happened to be the last person in here before the game started. And he's also standing over there laughing behind his hand. What's to say he didn't take it?" 

     At that, Sangho's laughter rang out through the change room and he held Taewoong's phone up. The still furious boy glared at him and began to walk over so that he could scold Sangho, but he was stopped when Youngjae grabbed hold of his wrist. 

    "Hey, that's not right. You need to apologise to Daehyun"

     "Huh?" Taewoong glared at him. 

     "You were in the wrong. Apologise" 

     Taewoong turned to Daehyun and muttered an insincere apology before rushing over to Sangho, roughly taking the phone from his grasp. 

     Daehyun watched as Youngjae left the change rooms. He was caffeine, snark, and indifference. But maybe he was sugar as well. 

     "Yah! Yoo Youngjae" Daehyun called as he ran after the younger boy, catching up to him quickly and taking hold of his wrist. "Thank you...for that. For telling Taewoong that I didn't take his phone."

      "It's nothing." Youngjae murmured, indifference dripping in the once cheerful voice he held. "He was wrong and stupid." There were a few beats of silence and the wrist Daehyun held on to fell out of his grasp. "You weren't really good at defending yourself."

     "I'm not good with confrontation." 

     "I noticed." Youngjae turned and walked away, Daehyun following promptly. "You're weak...and your friendships are weak" The elder lowered his head, staring at his feet as they made their way into the main school building. He wouldn't admit Youngjae was right, but he knew it was true. "Ridiculous...I'd rather have no friends than fake ones."

     "But I don't-"

     "It has nothing to do with me. I don't care"

     Why would you say anything if you didn't care, Youngjae? Daehyun didn't understand him. He treated him nicely, then acted cruel. One minute he is sweet, the next he is bitter. This wasn't the Youngjae he remembered. They only looked the same. This wasn't Yoo Youngjae.

     "And you got it wrong again. It's Baek Youngjae."

     The next class drawled on too long and Daehyun found himself staring at Youngjae all the while. He fixed his gaze on the younger as Youngjae concentrated on the math problems that sat before him, concentration etched upon his face. He watched him look up when Moon Jongup turned around to face him, askance in his dark eyes. He stared as Jongup asked Youngjae for help and he nodded, a small and friendly smile upon his lips.

      He looked away when Youngjae began fixing Jongup's butchered equations. 

     Youngjae was cookies and cream, mint, and coffee.