Their loss.

Her Last Wish
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 2: Their loss.

 

Shinhye took a seat on the stool after completing the 8 hours surgery. Her legs were sore for standing up too long. This was her second time to be in a surgery for more than 5 hours. She pulled down her mask and took a deep breath.

 

“Good job today, Shinhye ssi,” her consultant walked past her.

 

“Thank you, sir,” she got on her feet and gave her bow.

 

“Good job everyone for today. This patient will be taken to ICU for monitoring purpose,” Prof Kim said as he took off his surgical gown. “Shinhye ssi, you’ll take over this patient from Woo Bin this week. Team up with the anaesthesia to monitor her condition in ICU. We’re looking for rejection signs in her.”

 

“Noted that sir. Thank you for your guidance,” she said humbly.

 

“Okay then. I’m heading to the waiting room to inform the patient’s family about her condition. Do you want to join me?” asked him.

 

Shinhye was again thankful for her superior kindness. “I’ll be glad to accompany you sir to deliver the good news.”

 

“You did well today. I should inform the family about how well your performance today. Let’s go.”

 

She took of her scrub gown, feeling fluster with her consultant’s compliment. They walked to the waiting room together and was welcomed by the anxious young man.

 

“Mrs Gyu Won’s family?” asked Prof Kim. Shinhye looked at her consultant as the name triggered her mind. The name was very familiar to someone she knew, someone she care of, some one that had been part of her life, someone she had been missing her whole life.

 

“Yes, I’m Gyu Won’s husband. Her parents are currently in the cafeteria. Is everything alright, sseongsaenim?” asked Yonghwa, anxiously. He looked at Shinhye before his eyes turned to Prof Kim.

 

Shinhye’s eyebrow narrowed inside her bangs as she tried to remember the familiar face in front of her. She felt like she had seen this man somewhere before.

 

“Shinhye ssi, do you want to deliver this good news to him?” the consultant turned to her.

 

“Eh?” she was startled and then turned her eyes to Yonghwa. “Oh alright.”

 

“By the way, Mr Jung, this is my assistant for today. Dr Park. She did a marvellous job assisting me in your wife’s surgery,” he introduced her to Yonghwa.

 

She cleared before she began. “Anyeonghaessimnika Mr Jung. Your wife is in stable condition for now. We completed the surgery successfully. She will be send to ICU for monitoring purpose for one week since she has greater risk for infection and transplant rejection due to her current condition of her cancer which has spread to her other vital organs,” she tried to keep the news simple and sounds positive with a reassuring smile.

 

Yonghwa took a deep breath as he closed his eyes. He then let out a deep breath. “Thank you, Dr Park. Thank you sseongsaenim for your good work,” he shook their hands with gratitude.

 

“Don’t worry too much, Mr Jung. Once your wife is stable after one week of monitoring, the oncology team will do their best to manage the cancer that had spread. Your wife win the battle today, and she will win the next battle too if she’s strong enough,” Prof Kim put his hand on Yonghwa’s shoulder.

 

“Yes, she is my fighter. My strong fighter. Thank you again, sseongsaenim.”

 

***

“Shinhye ssi!” a deep voice echoed thru out the hallway. Shinhye jumped and spun around. The tall man waved at her with a big smile plastered on his face.

 

She wanted to hide because she felt so awkward with this guy. “Anyeonghassimnika, sunbaenim,” she greeted awkwardly. Here comes the friendly guy.

 

“Are you going home?” he asked when he noticed she had changed to her casual clothes. “But the exit is that way.”

 

“My shift end just now. I’ve done my last review for all the patients in the wards, except the one in ICU. So I’m heading there to review the bone marrow transplant patient before heading home,” she replied. “Sunbaenim, are you coming in for work now? But you just did your post-call yesterday, aren’t you supposed to be on your leave?” she asked looking at the handsome tall man in his white coat.

 

Woo Bin grinned. “I’m your example of employee of the month,” he said cheekily. “Just kidding. I came in to replace our colleague who was on leave.”

 

“Oh…” her voice trailed off.

 

“Let’s go to the ICU together, I want to check on my bone marrow transplant patient’s condition too,” he said, taking his steps toward the ICU. Shinhye followed him, reluctant and awkward. “So have you met all of our colleague and staffs in the ward and operation theatre today?”

 

“Yes. I’ve introduced myself to most of them,” she said. “They were all kind and helpful, considering the ward and operation theatre are busy, they still taught me and helped me in lot of things.”

 

“Our ward is well-known for its kindest staffs in this hospital, well except for that one person. You’ll meet him later. Anyway just look at me. Aren’t I’m kind enough and handsome?” he looked at her and winked his eyes.

 

Shinhye didn’t know what to say, she could just nod her head… awkwardly. Ha ha ha.

 

“Yah, are you awkward with me being friendly to you? Are you uncomfortable with me being informal to you?” he asked, as they stopped in front of the ICU counter.

 

“No, it’s not like that…” she felt a lump formed on . Aigoo, caught red handed.

 

“I’m sorry. I’m trying to make you comfortable here because you are still new. You heard about the bully and hierarchy system in our hospital right? I’m trying to save you from it,” he said. “You h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter