Her battle.

Her Last Wish
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 1: Her battle

 

“I love you,” she said with a weak smile, but still looking beautiful although with her pale face.

 

Jung Yonghwa took his wife hands and kissed them. “I love you too, my dear. You’ll be fine today. You’ll get through this. Don’t be afraid. You are strong and brave.”

 

“I’m not scared for today. I’ve been preparing for this moment my whole life,” she said, trying to sound strong. Lee Gyu Won, a young graceful lady who had been living with leukaemia since she was 8 years old would finally plan for bone marrow transplant surgery today.

 

“Yes, that’s my tough girl over there!” he smiled --- a smile that brighten Gyu Won’s life.

 

“Jagiya, can you do me a favor?” she asked.

 

“Anything for you, my dear.”

 

Gyu Won moved her hand towards her husband’s face and caressed his cheek softly. “Please be happy even after I failed to keep our promise.”

 

“Gyu Won ah…”

 

“Please, promise me, if I’m not going to make it, promise me, you’ll still find your happiness out there and love someone else just like you love me.”

 

“Gyu Won ah, we’ve talked about this before right. I don’t want to listen to any of this anymore. You’ll get through this and we’ll live a happy life and build our own family. I don’t need anyone else, I just want you in my life and I can’t never love someone else just like how I love you,” he took her hand and kissed them again.

 

“Just promise me, so I’ll feel better before I enter the operation theatre. Because I feel sorry for you, you’ve given me everything, but yet I can’t afford to give you everything in return, your happiness, your love.”

 

“Gyu Won, no…”

 

“Pretty please? This is my last wish for you,” Gyu Won said in her aegyo tone.

 

Yonghwa flashed a grin as the aegyo melt his manly heart. “Alright, alright. Cross my heart,” he crossed his chest with his finger. “But I don’t want this to be your last wish. I want you to make many wishes in the future with me. Okay?”

 

“Okay,” she nodded.

 

“No, you too have to cross your heart. Don’t just say okay,” he requested.

 

“Cross my heart,” she also crossed her chest with her finger. “If you break your promises, I’ll haunt you down.”

 

“I’d rather you haunt me as a ghost than loving someone else,” he ran his fingers through her thin hair before he leaned in and kissed her soft lips deeply. “Please, come back safely,” he said with tears pooling in his eyes.

 

“Hey big boy, don’t cry in front of me. You’ve promised me,” she wiped away his tears with her tiny hands before Yonghwa pulled her into his arms. “Thank you, Yonghwa ah, for being the best thing that ever happened in my life,” she wrapped her arms around his muscular body as Yonghwa sniffed on her shoulder.

 

‘Knock knock’

 

Yonghwa pulled away from his wife and wiped away his tears. He took a deep breath, trying not to break down again.

 

“Mrs Jung, we’re ready to move you to the operation theatre now,” the nurse entered the room with a wheelchair.

 

“Yuhuu, it’s time to go and win this battle,” Gyu Won said excitedly. “Jagiya, make sure to inform our parents that I’ll be waiting for them at the operating theatre. I need to see them to get their blessing before my battle,” she joked, trying to cheer up her husband.

 

And her husband did laughed ---- the laughter that one would miss. “You better win the battle and become the hero,” he kissed her forehead.

 

***

It was a busy day in the surgical ward which meant a good day for her to start her first day as a surgeon resident. She always love the sounds of the busy wards especially in the operation theatre. That was one of the reasons she became a surgeon after she completed her study in Ireland.

 

“Park Shinhye ssi,” her consultant read her nametag.

 

“Anyeonghassimnika, Prof Kim. I’m Park Shinhye, reporting my first day as a surgeon resident under your department,” she introduced herself to the head of department.

 

“Glad to have you here Shinhye ssi. I’ve heard about your achievements in Ireland during your surgical internship. We’re looking forward with you skills for our department,” he said with anticipated. “So, since today is your first day and the ward is busy, would you like to assist me for my bone marrow transplant surgery this morning? We’re short of doctors since some of them are on leave.”

 

Shinhye couldn’t hide her joy with his offer. “I’ll be glad too, Prof,” she smiled brightly.

 

“Good. Then I’ll see you in the operation theatre in 30 minutes,” he said before he took his leave. Shinhye was so happy with the opportunity given, she went straight to operation theatre to get ready to assist her first case in Seoul.

 

***

“Hyung!” Lee Jungshin ran over to Yonghwa who seemed restless in the waiting room with his parents. “Has the surgery start?” he asked, worried about his sister.

“Ah Jungshin, Gyu Won just entered the operation theatre,” he replied.

 

“Aish, I was late because of the traffic just now. I wished to see noona before she enter,” Jungshin sighed.

 

“Jagiya, our daughter will be f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter