Magic 101

Follow That Red Thread Home

Follow that red thread home ch 3


“You’re late,” a voice rang out as Joshua pushed the door inwards, the bell door ringing.

Joshua snorted. “I’m right on time. And it’s not like you can sell that to anyone else.”

The guy turned, snorting back at Joshua. “A soul is a hot commodity Joshua. Who says I couldn’t?”

Smirking Joshua walked the rest of the way to the counter. He put his hand down, getting up into the tall man’s face, “You owe me,” he said. “So, go ahead. Sell it. See what happens to you.”

Minhyun his lips in a flirtatious manner. Joshua usually ignored it. Especially since the two of them never went further than flirting and the occasional . Minhyun knew better than to push Joshua, since Joshua was reluctant to get into a relationship. Something that he was grateful for, that Minhyun respected that Joshua had issues.

He shook his head as he tried to stare Joshua down to no avail. “You’re always so strong. It’s annoying,” he tsked.

Joshua laughed at him. “You’re several years too young to try and beat me.”

“You’re not older than me,” Minhyun pointed out.

Joshua would always bring up age when he felt that Minhyun was getting uppity. Giving Minhyun a bitter smile, Joshua said, “After remembering several lifetimes you feel nothing but old.” He waved his hand. “You should be used to me talking like this anyhow.”

Scoffing Minhyun said, “But in this lifetime, I’m still older than you.”

“It doesn’t matter. Now get me what I’m here for. The thing that will end the debt you owe me for that one night.” Joshua pushed away from the counter, tapping his foot impatiently. “I have classes to teach in an hour or so.”

“Fine,” he said, throwing up his hands, “fine.” Going back past the curtains, Minhyun rifled through some bottles. He walked back out, holding a glass bottle wrapped with many enchantments. “One soul. Not human. For a demon cat to consume.”

Joshua smiled at him. “Perfect. Niko will love it.” Holding out his hand Joshua took it from Minhyun, allowing him to brush his fingers against Joshua’s.

Trying to pull away, Joshua was stopped by Minhyun wrapping his other hand on his wrist. Joshua raised a brow in question.

“Let me take you out on a date. Please.”

Joshua felt his heart close up, and the metaphorical walls start to come crashing down in front of it. “You know better than to ask that.” Joshua yanked his hand away as if he had been burned. “I guess we went too far when we fell into bed with each other.”

Minhyun opened his mouth, but Joshua snapped back quickly. “I said before that the most we could be was friends who occasionally had . Nothing more. If you find that it’s not enough then we’ll just stop being friends.”

Minhyun’s lips thinned. “You know I value our friendship more than trying to pursue a relationship with you.”

“Do you now? It doesn’t look like it.” Joshua retorted. Sighing he ran his fingers through his hair. “It doesn’t matter. If you keep pushing, I’ll just go to someone else for my stuff. I come to you out of friendship. I know plenty of others who sell the same wares.”

His lips dropped to an almost pout. “Fine,” Minhyun mumbled, “sorry.”

“It’s fine.” Joshua checked his watch. “I need to go now. Don’t bring this up anymore unless you want to no longer see me.” Waving Joshua left the store. He put the bottle into his bag and got into his car. This was the problem of going further than being friends with someone you were close with. They demanded more. Joshua should’ve never fallen into bed with Minhyun. He’d have to cut down the time he shopped at his store then.

He had lunch to get before his last classes of the day.


Walking into the lecture hall, Joshua let out a small tired smile. Jun showed up early. He was currently playing with Niko.

“Good afternoon Jun. How was the break?” Joshua put his bag on the table gently, ignoring Niko as he moved out from under Jun’s hands to sniff at the bag.

“Good Prof,” Jun chirped, “lots of sleep and spending time with Wonwoo.”

“Don’t you two spend a lot of time together already? You two spend so much time together it’s like I never see you two apart,” Joshua said shaking his head. He pushed at Niko, putting two fingers on his head moving him away from the bag. “No, Niko. Later.”

Niko perked up. His tail started to swish from side to side, his eyes glowing an unnatural red color. “What’d you get me Shua? What’d you get me?”

The demon cat looked like he was ready to pounce on Joshua.

“It’s a surprise. You’ll love it,” Joshua said warmly. Gently he rubbed down Niko’s back. “You’ll love it.” He pressed a kiss onto the cat’s head before shoving him off the table.

He laughed as the demon cat let out an offended yowl.

Jun blinked, surprised for a few seconds before he too laughed.

“I see you were rather early today?”

Jun turned, his face stretched in a smile. “It’s exciting. I’m finally a TA for one of your classes. This one especially. First years.” The smile on Jun’s face took a slight devious turn.

“Don’t corrupt the first years Jun,” Joshua warned.

Flashing Joshua what Jun apparently thought was an innocent smile, he spread his hands and said, “I promise professor.”

Joshua snorted. Hearing a clink, he looked at the table. Reaching out his hands he grabbed Niko away from his bag.

The cat dug his claws into the table. “Nooo Shua,” he whined. “I saw that bottle. Is it what I think it is?!”

Jun looked at the bag curiously.

God Niko sounded so excited. Sighing Joshua replied, “Yes. It’s exactly what you think it is. I spent a good deal of time finding one for you. Now wait like a good cat.”

Niko let go of the table, allowing Joshua to pick him up and cuddle him in his arms. Niko rubbed his head against Joshua’s chin, purring. “Thanks Joshua. You’re so good to me master.”

Joshua chuckled, letting Niko rub himself all over Joshua. “I know I am. Now can you wait until class is over?”

Letting out a mroaw Niko suggested, “Let’s show them a demonstration. It’d impress the pants out of the babies. Come on Shua!”

Jun also looked interested in an impressive showcase of magic. “Professor? What’s Niko talking about?”

Joshua sighed. The way Niko whined was so ear grating at times, Joshua thought. “Hmmmm.” He let Niko climb onto his shoulders, rubbing all the while. “I guess we could. It’d have to be in a containment field though. You get wild when you transform. I don’t want you accidentally lashing out at them since they’re strangers in terms of magic.”

Niko’s ears perked up. Jumping onto the table he sat all prim and proper his tail moving a mile a minute, making a long swishing noise. “Ok. As long as I get my soul.”

“A soul?”

Nodding Joshua said, “Yes. A soul. I purchased a lower level demon soul for Niko to consume. I’ll have to draw a containment field over to the side for the demonstration. Hopefully it won’t scare the pants off these first years.”

“Wonwoo is going to be so jealous when he hears about this,” Jun chortled.

“Film it for the intermediate class,” Joshua said. “That way they won’t whine at me too when they hear the news from your loose lips,” he said dryly.

“Heh.” Jun saluted him. “Got it.”

“Now set out the syllabi for them,” Joshua ordered dropping a much smaller stack than this morning in his hands.

Jun set off taking them with him, placing them on each seat.

Joshua held out his hand, watching Niko rub his head into it. “The things I do for you,” Joshua muttered.

“I love you too Shua,” Niko purred.

“You better you cat,” Joshua teased.

“I do.”

Joshua felt a slight bitter smile form on his face. Declarations of love always seemed to be more miss than hit with him. Even when it came from someone who loved him unconditionally. He trusted so little now a days.


This class was so small Joshua left the microphone alone. “Good afternoon everyone. Welcome to what is officially known as Anthro 178: Magical Theory, but in reality, its Magic 101. And before anyone says that they think they’re in the wrong class let me tell you something. The only way you were able to register for this class is that you saw past the magical barriers. You have talent. Be it small or large. You’re all here for a reason.” He gave them a benign smile as he sat on the large table in the front. “To learn magic. Now let’s begin with introductions. It looks like this quarter’s class is extremely small.”

Jun raised his hand. “I’ll go first Professor.”

Joshua nodded.

“Hi first years,” Jun said, “I’m Wen Junhui, 3rd year, and your TA for the quarter. Come see me if you need help and Professor Hong isn’t available. My specialty is protective magic with a side of curses.” He winked at them.

“Thank you, Jun.,” Joshua pointed to Niko. “This is my familiar. Niko introduce yourself.”

The cat yawned as he got up from his laying position. Opening his eyes, they turned red. “I’m a demon cat from the upper reaches of hell. The name is Niko. Don’t touch me unless I say you can. Otherwise you might lose a finger or two.”

Joshua sighed as he saw some of the students gulp. “Thank you, Niko, for that lovely introduction. Now. If you read the course information you’d know my name. But if you hadn’t I’m Professor Joshua Hong. You may call me Prof, Professor, Professor Hong, even Prof Hong. I’ve been studying magic,” he crossed his legs, “for over twenty years. I’m more than qualified for those who think I look a bit too young. You are in this class to learn how to harness your magic. You must listen to me. If you choose to test your limits without my permission or you abuse your talent in some sort of way that goes against the rules you will be dismissed from this class and your magic will be bound as per the rules of the Magical Council of the Magical Creatures and Beings.” He stared at all of ten of them, noticing how some of them looked ready to expire. “Any questions so far?”

A brave student raised their hand. “What’s the Magical council?”

“You are?” Joshua asked.

“Lee Chan. I didn’t know about magic before and my parents don’t have any so…I’m pretty much clueless.” He looked embarrassed but it was brave of him to even ask as the other students were rigid in their seats.

“That’s understandable. The Magical Council is, was set up many eons ago but magical creatures and beings with the talent, as a safeguard for those who had magic and to make sure no one abused it. Magic, if you’ve known has gone underground. For good reason. But as it is magic users can’t use magic to make people disappear or die. It’d be unethical and then questions would be asked and if it was traced back to us things would go into chaos. The Magic Council set up rules that have to be followed. It’s for your own protection and the protection of nonusers against those who would choose to go rogue and do wrong things with the talent.”

They all looked at Joshua. “The council have hunted down rogue magic users who went dark and started using magic to kill and reanimate the dead when they were not given permission to bring them back.”

Another hand raised, “Permission?” He closed his mouth, before opening it again. “Boo Seungkwan, Professor.”

“Necromancy under certain circumstances is permissible. Like the Japanese Shinto priests who talk to the dead, or those who have an affinity for ghosts.” Joshua stared them all down, “Any more questions?” He was met with silence and heads shaking.

“Good. Now that syllabus in front you is a contract. For the duration of this class you are my students and under my wing. I will to the best of my ability teach you to use your magic and help you find your specialty. That contract however is also one connected to the Magical Council. If you sign if you will abide by their rules. Breaking it means your magic is forfeit. Breaking the most heinous rules means your life is forfeit. Take it home and go to the Magic Council’s website to download a pdf version of the rulebook. I’d read it over before you sign the contract and bring it back to me the next class session.”

He nodded to Jun, lifting his chin to the books on the table. “Now let’s keep going before we begin with lesson one, what is magic and how do we use it.”

Jun took the books and passed them out.


Joshua put down the marker as the finished the outline of magic and the general areas. “I’m ending the lesson a bit early today to show you a practical demonstration of magic. Don’t expect all the classes to have demonstrations. Today is special as I purchased something for Niko.” Walking over to the side, Joshua took the chalk from his pocket and waited for Niko to jump in. Marking the last rune, he closed the circle. A flare of magic reverberated across the room.

He looked at the class. “I bought Niko a lower level demon soul to eat. Should you ever get a familiar or continue the lessons with me, in your third year you get to summon one if you don’t have one, some of them do have weird diets. In Niko’s case, he has a taste for souls and while he’ll survive without one I thought he deserved something.”

Jun had his phone out and ready to record.

“You’ll feel a strong weight come across you. Maybe even some pressure if you have a specialty for holy magic. What Niko will be doing is steeped in dark magic. If you can’t handle how it looks, turn away. Otherwise don’t approach more than I will allow.”

He motioned to them, holding out a hand when they were just ten paces away from Jun. “Stay there and do not get any closer.”

Joshua walked to the table and got the bottle. “Depending on your natural ability some of you might be able to see the enchantments surrounding the bottle. It’s to keep the soul in and the bottle from breaking.” He looked down. “Ready Niko?”

“As ever,” he smirked.

Joshua crouched and opened the bottle in the containment circle. He took three steps back. “Go ahead.”

The soul started swirling out of the bottle, the purple fumes wafting through the magic enclosure trying to get out.

Niko transformed. He grew larger, the claws came out, the fur raised on end, his tail splitting into two. When the soul was completely out of the bottle, Niko pounced, paw slamming down on one end as he bit into the middle. The soul screamed. A few students took more steps back. He started devouring it.

Joshua noted that Niko wasn’t being an elegant eater this time around. He must have wanted to put on a demonic show. What a show off.

Chan, Joshua saw, looked on with wide eyes. As Mina looked ready to turn away from the sight. Even the ones accustomed to magic looked a bit green around the edges. Vernon had his mouth opened wide, while Yuna looked sick.

Niko kept eating until he gobbled the last end of the soul. Gulping it down he turned towards the class, the look in his eyes less contained than normal, looking ready to tear into them.

Joshua tsked. He should’ve known. Niko hadn’t had a soul in a while. Stepping in front of the students, Joshua shouted, making sure to put magic into his command, “Niko!” He felt Jun shiver from force of Joshua’s magic.

The cat sat down.

Materializing Niko’s leash, Joshua stepped forward reaching into the shield and clipping it on. The magic zipped out, forcing Niko to go back into his cat form. Slowly Niko blinked the feral look in his eyes away. Joshua got to his knees, giving Niko a look before the cat rubbed his head against Joshua’s hand.

“Sorry Shua. I got over excited.” He grinned cheekily.

Wryly Joshua replied, “I could tell. Are you going to be a good kitty now?”

He nodded.

Joshua took his foot and rubbed it over some of the chalk, marring it to let the magical containment field to fall. Holding Niko’s leash in hand he turned to the class. “It’s doubtful that any of you would ever summon a demon animal as a familiar as they’re too strong to handle in most cases; other familiar diets aren’t so rambunctious.” He smiled as some of them let out sighs of relief.

“This will be last time I have a demonstration like this. If you have any pressing questions for me, you can talk to me now. Class is dismissed. I hope to see you all again come Wednesday. If not the Magical Council will seek you out to make sure you have contact info for other teachers if that’s what you wish should you not continue with the university’s curriculum of magic. Otherwise they will schedule a binding. Have a nice rest of your day.”

They went to their seats and collected their belongings. Chan came back to say, “That was really wild and I’ll definitely be back Wednesday Professor Hong.”

“That’s great,” Joshua replied, smiling at his enthusiasm.

Piping up from chalk cleaning duty Jun said, “Professor Hong is the best magic teacher in the university. But you didn’t hear that from me.”

Niko nodded, the bell on his collar clinking. “Shua is the best. The others aren’t up to par.”

Joshua sighed, giving the leash a small tug. “Ignore Niko. He’s being biased. I’ll see you Wednesday Chan.”

He nodded before practically skipping out of the room.

“That was something Niko,” Jun said as he got up from his bended position.

his teeth Niko said, “Souls are the best Jun. I went a bit out of control.”

“The other classmates will be so envious they didn’t get to see this live,” he said, grin plastered all over his face.

“You kids have such weird tastes. Should I plan a more sedate demonstration tomorrow for you all?” Joshua asked, a teasing lilt in his voice.

“Aww, don’t be like that Prof,” Jun said throwing away the paper towels he used to clean the chalk.

“Hmm. Well tomorrow’s class will be at my discretion. Now get out of here and hang out with your boyfriend.”

Jun saluted. “Bye prof. See you tomorrow.”

Joshua sighed. “I don’t remember having that much energy when I was that young.”

“You were like an old man,” Niko complained.

“Yea, well this old man got you a soul. Now be happy,” Joshua growled.

Laughing Niko rubbed against Joshua’s legs. “I am. Thanks Shua.”

“Let’s go to the office for some work Niko,” he said picking Niko up in his arms. He grabbed his bag on the way out.


Joshua saw a familiar figure waiting at his door as he walked up the hallway. “Jihoon. What can I do for you? You’re not registered for any of my courses this quarter, are you?”

Pushing in the door, Joshua let Niko jump to the floor making his way to his bed.

Joshua sat down in his chair, waving for Jihoon to take a seat.

He sat down, hands on his lap. An odd look in his eyes.

“I’m taking Magical Fields and Magic 303 with you this quarter. But that’s not what I’m here for.”

Nodding Joshua set up his computer. “So what can I help you with?” He stared at the screen as it booted up.

“I heard you and Professor Choi had,” he paused, “ before.”

Joshua sighed closing his eyes. God damn it. What was with today?