There I go

Follow That Red Thread Home

A/N: an interlude. of sorts. i was writing and this felt like the right place to end this particular part. it's a segway i guess


“You’re staying home the entire time you’re healing.,” Joshua said, glaring at his familiar. “And before you say anything I won’t heal you. You did something stupid, endangering not only your life but someone innocent as well.”

Niko looked to the side, a surly pout on his kitty face.

“There is no justification for what you did. No matter your intentions what you did was wrong,” Joshua scolded. “And for that this is your punishment.”

“He hurt you,” Niko muttered, still unwilling to go down without a fight.

“And you could’ve gotten him killed,” Joshua snapped. “You could’ve seriously hurt yourself more than you did now. Nothing is worth endangering a human’s life. The consequences that would’ve befallen you! And me!” Joshua yelled.

The demon cat shook.

“You forgot didn’t you? The council would’ve investigated us both and then punished us.” Joshua shook his head. “You let your anger get out of control. I shouldn’t have told you.”

Chastised, he slunk away, opting to go for his kitty bed rather than following Joshua to his bed.

Sighing, Joshua walked over and bent down, reaching a hand out to pet him, but Niko turned away, curling into himself. He withdrew his hand. “What you did wasn’t acceptable, and you sulking about it is even more ridiculous. Think about it. Good night Niko.”


“Where’s Niko?” Jun looked around the classroom, trying to find the demon cat.

“At home,” Joshua answered, “he got hurt and I refuse to heal him.”

“Ooh. He deserved it?”

Setting up, Joshua nodded. “Something like that. Class will be fine without him as he heals.” He handed Jun a stack of papers. “Two each.”

Jun saluted Joshua, taking the stack. “He must be in a little sulk.”

Joshua made a noise, indicating yes. Niko had stayed in his kitty bed, refusing to look at Joshua as he said his goodbyes this morning. He had taken Joshua’s ear scratches though.

Pausing, Joshua wondered how Jeonghan was. But he quickly pushed those thoughts away. It would be stupid of him to go down that road again with Jeonghan. if he didn’t call Joshua all the better. Even if he secretly hoped, deep down that Jeonghan would call. Just so he could make sure the other man was all right.

His students trickled in, one by one. Marking them off on his attendance sheet, Joshua raised his brows as Chan was missing for the day. Was he second guessing his choice thanks to Joshua’s answer the other day? Joshua marked the box of absent, making note to see if Chan was going to be absent again. If he was, it meant that Joshua would have to have a talk a with him about his future in the magic world.


Jeonghan grinned as Chan put down a bowl of rice and soup.

“Here,” he said, a bit aggressively. “Eat and get better.”

Chuckling, Jeonghan explained once more what the doctor told them. “She said I was fine. Just a bit bruised. I could go teach today you know.”

Chan glared. “And I’m saying at least take the one day off. It’ll be fine. Cancel class for one day. You already called the school. Now rest.”

He held up his hands, surrendering. “Ok, ok. I’ll eat and rest. Auntie would be so proud to see you being all aggressive and caring.”

“I wouldn’t have to if you didn’t do stupid hyung,” he narrowed his eyes.

Jeonghan ate a spoonful, nodding as it wasn’t overly spicy this time. “I had my reasons. You don’t get to doubt them. I’m the adult here not you.”

“Adults don’t get themselves injured,” Chan muttered. “Especially not by running into oncoming traffic.”

Jeonghan shook his head, not bothering to argue. Let the kid think he was an idiot. He remembered watching the cat dart out and the feeling that he just had to save him. That if he didn’t, he’d lose something important.

It wasn’t so much as that Niko was important. But how important he was to Joshua. Jeonghan didn’t think too hard on it, going down that path would lead to too many questions and not enough answers. There was just a gut feeling that if Joshua cried it’d hurt Jeonghan. If Joshua cried because of him, good god, Jeonghan wouldn’t know what he would do.

It was a scary thought. He barely knew the other man but he felt so drawn to him, almost like they were tied together. Jeonghan never felt like this before in his life and it scared him. But the tugging he felt, the need to be close to Joshua overpowered that fear. He knew he’d be making that call soon.