Running Away, of Sorts

Follow That Red Thread Home

10 comments = new update

silence doesn't help motivate me :/


Clutching at his bag, Joshua tried not to fidget.

Jeonghan though was happy as a clam getting out of the carriage. “Hello Jones.”

The head of the staff bowed. “It’s nice to see you once again my lord. Welcome home.”

Holding out a hand for Joshua, Jeonghan waited.

Joshua put his left hand in Jeonghan’s open one, and walked out of the carriage, biting his lip. Taking in the house, he sighed internally. Yet another clear difference between him and Jeonghan. The fact that Jeonghan had his own small household away from his family spoke volumes of his family’s wealth. Would they even accept Joshua? He was just a minor noble with magical talent. He had little else to his name beyond his own skills. But meeting Jeonghan’s family was something to think about at a later time. Jeonghan had said he wouldn’t be meeting them until the new season began and they made their way into the city.

With a wide grin on his face, Jeonghan declared, “My fiancé,” fingers intertwined with Joshua’s in a manner very reminiscent to when Joshua had let Jeonghan get close at the night of the Tying Ceremony.

Seeing that huge happy smile on his face, Joshua let go of his lip, and ignored the urge to pull away from him. Even if Joshua was nervous, clearly Jeonghan was just so damn ecstatic about their new status.

Jones, bowed in front of Joshua. “My lord.”

Joshua opened his mouth to protest but Jeonghan tugged at him, moving towards the open doors.

“Let’s go inside. I’ll show you our rooms.”

He gave Joshua that heart stopping smile. The one that calmed his nerves and made Joshua smile right back at him. “Ok,” he replied, nodding.

“You’ll love them. If you don’t we can redecorate. Whatever you’d like,” Jeonghan rambled, “I want you to be happy.”

“But I am happy with you,” Joshua said.

Jeonghan stopped his walking and turned around. Eyes serious, he gently touched Joshua’s face and kissed him on the lips, in full view of half of his servants. He pulled away, leaning his forehead on Joshua’s, “And I’ll keep making you happy. Promise.”

Humming, Joshua held onto Jeonghan’s arms, content in the warmth and the love.


“Shua.”

Joshua whined into his pillow. “Go’way Jeonghan,” he mumbled, “it’s too early.”

“Shua!”

He felt a tail lash out at his cheek and a prick of nails. He sat up, heart racing.

Niko sat on Joshua’s lap, his tail lashing out. “Hmph. You’ll be late for class if you don’t get up now.”

“Thanks Niko.” Joshua tamped down on the urge to shudder. Why did he dream of him? Why did he remember that? There was no reason to go down memory lane anymore. It’d do him no good. So why?

“What were you dreaming off?” He hopped off Joshua’s lap onto the floor, stretching. “You smiled so happily.”

“I can’t remember,” Joshua said, moving out from under his blankets.

Niko yawned. “Must’ve been good though.”

Joshua nodded. “It probably was.” His heart whispered liar. It had been the best; a long time ago it had been. Now, it felt like a knife twisting in his heart.

“Let’s get to class. Time to teach little younglings,” Niko said, a smirk on his kitty face.

Letting out a small barking laugh, Joshua said, “You’re so excited? Why?”

Niko flashed a bit of teeth and bounded towards him as Joshua moved into the bathroom. “Scaring them is fun,” he said, rubbing himself against Joshua’s legs. He dodged Joshua’s falling clothes, “Not to mention I want to see how they cower after the other’s day little display.”

“Playing right to your demon heritage,” Joshua tsked. Turning on the water in the shower, he said, “They’re babies practically in terms of magic. Don’t turn them away from it.”

Niko said nothing but let himself get wet along with Joshua, washing himself in the spray of water.

Joshua nudged him lightly with his foot, a slight smile on his face as he shampooed his hair.


Joshua loved his first class. It was easy and fun to teach, even if half of them were still sleepy or sleeping. One would think a 9 am class would be relatively easy yet there were always so many sleepy faces. But Joshua was a morning person, he didn’t understand the want to sleep past twelve unless he was ridiculously hungover. Something he hadn’t done in a long time. He couldn’t do that anymore either. Too many lifetimes of drinking led to an increased alcohol tolerance, a good thing sometimes. A bad thing other times.

A bad thing considering yesterday. But best not dwell on that now. He had business to take care of. Waving goodbye to the straggler students he left the classroom, making double time to the department head’s office. His department anyhow. That specific little part of the anthropology department that housed the magic classes and its students.

Barging into the door of Howard’s office, he nearly shouted, “I need a classroom change. Now.”

Howard blinked at him, confusion written all over his face. “A classroom change?”

“The one for 303. By today. Please.” Joshua wanted to slam his hands down on the table to get his desperation across but going by the look on Howard’s face, Joshua’s desperation was quite clear.

“And what should I write down as the reason?” Good ole Howard loaded the paperwork online and started to fill it in.

“It’s too large for the class size. I don’t need anything that big at all.” Joshua let out a small sigh of relief watching Howard type away.

“You know,” he said softly, continuing his typing, “if you had said yes to being department head you could’ve been making your own rearrangements instead of asking me.”

Crossing his arms, Joshua sighed. “And have no one take me seriously?” He looked at Howard incredulously. “You know as well as I do that me being young would have raised so many eyebrows and no one would take me serious. They’d all whisper nepotism and all that .”

“But the ones who know anything about this department know that you are the one with the most experience. Youthful image or not.” Howard let out a small hum as his own familiar rubbed her head against his arm.

“I have plenty of things to worry about and things to do then spend my time schmoozing with the other department heads and sponsors. You’re better at it than me,” Joshua scoffed.

Giving Joshua a wry smile, Howard shook his head. “Thanks for calling me a good kiss up.”

“It’s all about your status in the magical world Howard,” Mina chirped, “you should know that.” The robin clicked her beak and nipped at Howard’s skin. “Silly human.”

Joshua snickered. Mina was always a sassy little familiar, probably to make up for her small size.

“Thank you for the refresher Mina darling.” A few taps and a few clicks and Howard looked up at Joshua. “All done.”

“Just reminding you. We all know Joshua’s more known than you. Revered almost in a sense.” Mina let out a little snicker as Howard’s face dropped.

“Mina,” Joshua called softly, “there’s no need to disparage your master so. He’s perfectly fine.”

She fluttered her wings. “But when big things happen in the magical world they come to see you first about problem students and for help. Yet you’re content with being just a teacher. Everyone always wonders why.”

“And sometimes, Mina,” Howard said, taking her softly into his hands, “there are things that a person keeps to themselves. Joshua has his reasons for not taking this position and for not leaving the school. We shouldn’t be so nosy.”

She chirped huffily in his hands, but quieted down. Howard looked up at him. “You know you can talk to me if you need anything, right? More powerful than me or not I’m here if you need me.”

Joshua nodded. “Thanks. But this one I need to solve myself. You did a lot for me already changing the classroom for me.”

Howard stared at him for a good minute, trying to analyze him for lies no doubt. But in the end, he nodded. “Ok. You’re an adult. Baby face or not. I get it. Tell Niko I said hi.”

“Of course. And you Mina?”

Mina chirped angrily. “That bad kitty won’t get anything from me.” She ruffled her feathers and puffed up angrily.

Joshua laughed. “Bye Mina, Howard.”

Howard watched as Joshua left his office. “That guy. Always keeping things to himself.”

Mina hopped up his arm. “You said that sometimes a person keeps things to themselves and we can’t be nosy. So, if Joshua wants to keep his problems to himself we have no choice.”

“You’re right,” he said, gently Mina. “He just looks so sad and it hurts that I can’t help.”

“Niko’s got it,” she said in a tiny huff, “even if that kitty is evil. He takes of Joshua well.” Howard nodded, her tiny body, hoping for the best for Joshua.


Niko let out a sneeze. “Who in the world?” He sneezed once again, rubbing his nose into his bed. “I swear when I find out who’s talking about me…” he said trailing off. He got up and stretched. “Time to meet Shua for class.” He laughed. “The little younglings will be fun.”


“He’s single,” Jihoon said flatly, before taking a sip from his cup.

“Are you sure?” Jeonghan was paying good money for this little info session, and if Jihoon got wrong…well Jeonghan was above dirty tactics. He knew lots of about Seungcheol.

Jihoon nodded once again. “All Professor Hong is involved with is his teaching, his cat, and the small number of friends he has. None of which he has ever told us about.” Jihoon left out the part about magic and the times Professor Hong spent nights brewing things or making spells and conducting rituals. Jeonghan was a nonmagical. It was better that he say nothing at all. If Jeonghan ever got that close to Professor Hong that was something he’d tell him.  

“And the cat?” Jeonghan made sure to keep the tone of desperate out of his voice. He didn’t need to air to Jihoon just how much he wanted, needed to know.

“Niko?” Jihoon raised a brow. “Professor Hong’s cat. He’s friendly after a while. Except to some people. Rumor had it was that if you didn’t get along with Niko, Prof didn’t get along with you. Like he used Niko as some sort of indicator.”

“But that’s only rumors, right? Not the truth?”

Nodding, Jihoon sipped again. “Yea,” he said, pulling the cup away, “it’s just a rumor I heard when I came into the school.”

“Thank god,” Jeonghan said, sagging into his chair. “I thought I might be done for when he took a swipe at me.”

“You’re awfully invested in prof,” Jihoon said slowly, questioning him.

“There’s something that draws me to him,” Jeonghan said. “Anymore is too personal to try and explain. You might be dating Seungcheol but we aren’t exactly close. Not yet. So, excuse me if I’m going to keep that to myself.”

Jihoon nodded. “Fair enough. You’ll have a hard time anyhow. Prof hasn’t dated anyone in a long time as far as all of us know. He’s almost celibate.”

“I’ll work my own type of magic,” Jeonghan said smiling.

Snorting Jihoon, tried not to laugh. Magic. Yea, magic indeed.