He, Whom I Missed

He, Who Is
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Two weeks went past before my eyes. The day after Hoseok's experience of the intense pain, I and Jimin parted in front of the hospital's gates. When I returned inside to meet my father and also Mrs. Jung, they told me with a heavy heart that Hoseok has to stay in there in order to get treated. The doctor said that it's going to be three weeks or more so to diminish the amount of sleep that he was missing. I was told that Hoseok's body has to receive boost shots for his immune system and body's resistance has been dropping continuously that he becomes prone to fever, cold and other illnesses. An examination was also held to determine if he was becoming malnourished because he had started to eat lesser and lesser. I have told of a lot of matters regarding of him, but this is all what I can remember up until today.

The next day of my trip to the hospital to accompany the dead quiet Hoseok, I didn't found Mrs. Jung at his room. So, I had to leave him for a while and find his mother. She was not at the cafeteria, she was not at the counter, she was neither at the doctor’s office nor at the garden. I found Mrs. Jung in the chapel with his knees on the floor, fingers interlocked and tears falling constantly from her eyes. I would like to say hi to her and take in-charge of Hoseok while she come home and get some rest. But, with the poignant moment, the muted prayer and the solemn, atmosphere, I was taken aback and waited for her outside. I know how a mother’s heart can be broken at this very moment. I know how hard it was to get through and accept things. I know how it was hurtful to see a son suffering because of a sickness that was not even his fault. I know how it feels like, I know, I know.

When she finished praying, I greeted her all politely as she walks out of the chapel. Together, we headed to Hoseok's room. When we opened the door after knocking, we found him standing on bed with a blank gaze. His arms are wide open that it loooked like he was reaching onto something. He only just woke up and was retained in lucid dreaming. I watched Mrs. Jung went towards her son. She embraces him and he falls back to sleep. He woke up in normal condition after two hours. That was the first day of him living in the place that he despises. Though he was saying nothing about his thoughts, in his eyes I could tell how upset and shameful he was.

The next day, I was unable to visit him for I had to help out to my father's bakery. The person that usually mans the cashier got sick, so I took place of his job for four days. While I stood, stand, tapped the keyboard, touch papers and coins, Hoseok constantly runs on my mind. I was worried, nervous, and always wondering how he was doing and if the newly prescribed medication working fine for him. The five nights of missing Hoseok's presence made me sleepless and restless too. I stayed up and awake until 1AM as I pleaded my father that I wanted to got to hospital. But since he couldn't do because he had things to settle in his workstation, I was told to stay at home. When the cashier had returned after catching cold and fever, I was still not permitted to go out by myself. My father probably became this stricter to mine because I had failed him twice. He said earnestly that I must stay at home until it was start of the classes again. I can only set a foot outside if Jimin fetches me or my other friends. However, unfortunately, no one came and asked me to see Hoseok together.

Then on, the second week came to me like a vicious lion. My perpetual sadness grows and I started to feel being isolated again. It was Monday and it was Hoseok's seventeenth birthday. I was able to prepare a gift for me, but I was still not allowed to go out. I would like to ask my father and beg him to let me, but my mother just arrived from the city due to her work and I was continuously distracted from having a moment to speak to him. I was always called by the kitchen, by the bakery to assist in wrapping the custard buns in pretty papers put dozens in boxes. On that day, there was a deeper abyss deep within me. When I was given the time to take a break, I was crying helplessly in my room while staring at the gift that I was about to give to Hoseok. When I went downstairs, my father asked why my eyes are swollen and I have told him that I wanted to see Hoseok badly. But still, I am unsure if he had gotten hard-hearted or calculating. My father did not allowed me to go.

"No, you can't Alice." though this was only what he has said, I held a grain of hatred towards him. I'm aware that I mustn’t feel this way towards my parents, but what I couldn't fathom is why they couldn't let me out and see my childhood friend on a special occasion in his life.

Days went fast behind my eyes and it was spring time. The lumps of white covering the streets are beginning to melt and leaves are sprouting out from the trees' branches and flowers are starting to bloom. It was less cold too but it was still necessary to put on scarves and coats when outdoors. The quarrel between Minah and Hanna suddenly became a vague and distant memory to me alongside with the recognition ceremony where I was fully nervous. My mind became less occupied and I was less talking. I don't know what happened to me, but waking up every morning became a punishment instead of a blessing for me. Ever since then I have realized that they had became strict when it comes on meeting Hoseok, my ennui restores.

Last year, I wore my school uniform with a wide yet an awkward smile on my face. I was excited, satisfied on the partially oversized-blazer and skirt. Behind me was Hoseok in his uniform too, grinning wider than I and snickering. I used to poke his cheek during middle school, but as soon as we became high school students, I could no longer reach his chin. He had grown taller, his shoulder went broader and there was a hint of facial hair under his nose and chin too. What I thought last year is that "he is growing, growing very much and it's unfair to me."

This morning when I woke up, I immediately get out from bed just to check the sky's color. It was dawn by then and I went on staring at the gradual sunrise upon me. The air was still chilly and I thought of wearing the moccasins that my mother bought for me on my birthday. With half-lidded eyes, soul that is still in a state of lethargy, I wondered if I was looking at the same sky that Hoseok gazes at now. I was wondering if he was still asleep or does he woke up from a terrible dream or if he was able to sleep well. In that early phase of a day, I was struck with vast sadness and desperation. When I thought that to see him has become a hopeless case, an idea suddenly grows on my mind. It was to sneak out after classes and no matter how short the time to meet this person; I'll do my best to communicate with him once again.

Secretly and carefully, I entered my mother's library and searched for a book that Hoseok would like to read. I kept my movements muted as I could and held my back firmly on my other grip. After a moment of deciding what to put inside, I picked up the one with a cover of half-dressed children and spears. It has printed letters in it, it says 'The Lord of the Flies, William Golding'. I 00Snickering because of excitement, I put the book on my bag and hurried downstairs. My mother had no idea that I have taken a treasure inside her little sanctuary as she cooked fried rice and eggs for breakfast. I consoled to hide my elation as I ate with her and with father. I was able to leave without getting traced or getting noticed that I was carrying one of her collections without asking for permission along with the coat that Jimin lent during winter vacation.

I came to school early and I went straight to the hallway to check the bulletin board that contains the new arrangement of of sections and students. Peculiarly and also funny, a shot of the past flashed on my head. I got amused as I temporarily dwelled in it. Sure, time flies so swiftly. Last year, I was standing on the other board along with Hoseok. We were finding for our names and both of us got jolly when we saw that we were classmates not only with each other but with the rest of our friends. There was a celebratory jump and we were almost dancing and shouting as we got reunited after weeks of vacation. I barely but I still remember how Yoongi was being talkative and active back then whenever such dreams occupy his head.

I was a fool, an idiot as I stand there smiling when I had no accompany. I was being scrutinized by my fellow students. Some had their foreheads furrowing and some were finding me different. I paid no attention to their impressions neither to the few words they used to describe me. They wouldn't remember it anyway when a month passes. As I scrolled through the names, I found mine on a separate section. I was neither with Hoseok or Jimin. I was more surprised to learn that Minah and Hanna remained as classmates. My name from the former class where I was last year has been unusually separated. I was in the class 2-C, while the boys are on 2-A and the girls are together on 2-B.

"No way." I mumbled as some names on the class where I put are familiar of producing troubles. It was unbelievable to be true. I did studied harder and well last year, but why am I being put on a class where some bothersome and lazy students are there. I even received an award during the recognition ceremony, but why I am being isolated with the people that helped me out to get away from the list of poor-graded students? I became bewildered as I try to recollect myself. My light weighted feet suddenly turned heavy. There was a protest in me and a heightened hesitation to go to that classroom. But all of these complains are being brushed away when the bell rings and everybody rushes to their designated places.

Therefore, I was still reluctant as I headed to that classroom made up of disobedient students. It's not like I was differentiating myself from them, but I was full of discomfort. I haven't sit down on any vacant spot, but it was already mayhem. The boys are throwing crumpled papers and tossing shoes to each others. The girls are putting makeup which is inappropriate and not allowed at school and they were constantly looking at their cell phones. I haven't stayed there for an hour, it was only a minute ago but I instantly recognized that they have been talking too much about boys and dating. All the things that I have witnessed there was new and not great. It was like a jungle and worse than the crowded and disorganized market.

The air smelled of perfume and cosmetic powder. I feel sick because of those elements that my senses aren’t used to. My stomach swirled and I become a little dizzy too. I don't know why is the homeroom adviser taking long to meet us when the class before us where Minah and Hanna belongs is all quiet and had began their orientation. I covered my ears from the excessive noise and buried my face on the desk as I waited for the ambiance to lie low. This mood that I bear when I woke up this morning is breaking but as I began to feel excited again as I grasp on the book that I'm about to bring by the hospital. I thought of bringing Hoseok's favorite snack too and sharing my story during the winter vacation. Although I know that none in my life in the past fourteen days is interesting, I can tell that he will be listening and smile because of it. I'll be cheering him up with all that I can.

The smile that I had before restores in the midst of a classroom's mayhem where everybody had built walls around them. I never expected that I'll end this way. I didn't think that this was possible that I studied well and reflected from on my mistakes. I thought that the attempt to be better would maintain the things and the people that I treasure on my side. However, I was wrong. I didn't know that there was something called future and the surreal. I was clinging too much on my own repose that I fail to realize that one day, these kind of things would always come for sure.

Our homeroom adviser finally came and shot silence and behaved on the class. Events went down like the last year. After she had introduced herself, she would then tell her class to introduce themselves. We were given small papers to write our name, birth date and address too. I followed all of the instructions and halfway through the introduction of becoming a second-year high school student, I haven't spoken to anyone neither being approached. The first day was quite unwell for me and during the lunch break, I tried to meet Minah but it turned that she was not present. Only Hanna was there and we agreed to invite our friends to eat at the tree hut despite of the weather's coldness. But, we were unable to find Yoongi because he had to attend his basketball team's meeting and Jimin was busy for he became their class representative. So it was left with only the two of us.

Though it was only two weeks of missing each other's presence and companionship, I found Hanna becoming prettier. She had her fringe laid down and her long straight hair was braided into two pieces. Her complexion was still fair as ever and her shape was still lovely and attractive. Her cheeks that often blush whenever she feels cold or hot. In that view in the hallway where she was walking to the south and as she turned her head at my call, she resembled a doll. Her big brown eyes glowed in the daylight and her thin pink lips curved into a crescent shape. Her bountiful beauty manifested on my sight and she gracefully walked towards I. She was a refined young lady that perpetually catches anyone's gaze and attention. As we both smiled and went towards each other, I caught the boys' eyes wandering in her.

"This was the person that confessed to the person that was dearest to me." I said on my mind. She was in-love with Hoseok. She cares a lot about him and often make mentions of him on our conversations. She likes him so much that she couldn't give attention to the other boys that are pursuing her. She had received presents from them, but she would always refuse to them. Her eyes, her heartbeat, her soul were solely fixated on Hoseok. In all of her wishes, she was always hoping that one day the affection will be reciprocated. She was constantly working at her best to win his heart, and she never falters.

"My, those guys. They are all being handful on their own." Hanna chuckled as the first bite of the meal. Strange but amusing, whatever words of manner she uses, she still appears ladylike. I do agreed on what she had said and I revived my grin along with a soft snicker. Then, she continues as our eyes met.

"I wonder when it is going to happen. When we are all free and vacant and we would spend the lunch break with the six of us. Yoongi told me that a popular and a powerhouse school has been offering him a full scholarship. The condition was he had to transfer there so that he can play on their team." the joyful shape of her lips faded. There was concern and anxiety in Hanna. What Jimin said two weeks before we turned sophomores is starting to occur. It dreads me. I don't want it to come; I want to spend the rest of my days with them until fate blows me away from my hometown. I dropped the utensil that I was using and I became astonished as I tried to think of it, think of the future where all of us are parted and have forgotten of each other.

"Yoongi says that he would accept it. The only think that was delaying him from going was the signature of his father." Hanna described how determined Yoongi was to take the first step towards his dream of becoming a national professional athlete. The university that was asking him to join them was at the city and that school was well-known for constantly setting good records and bringing awards and recognitions home. I understand how excited Yoongi was for he was patiently waiting for a day like this to come. I remember those times when we would run by the riverbank after classes and whenever our shoulders touch, he would always say that someday he will leave this place because a greater opportunity was waiting for him on the other side of the dam. I laughed out at his confession and the old Jimin called his dream was absurd for no one ever gets earnest on joining a simple high school sports club. During those times, we unconsciously scorned him and we made terrible insults too. Hanna was also aware of this, so she expressed how she was unable to hold her shock on that day that she was told.

I couldn't help but to be surprised and repressed. It's about to started and I know I had to brace myself and learn how to get through anything. To not have any of them in my new class was already difficult to deal with, I don't know if I could stand long in this loneliness that keeps on crawling on my shoulders and chest.

"Isn't it great? We should tell them about this too. We should celebrate Yoongi's first step to his dream. To be a friend of that person, I honestly feel so proud and happy for him." Hanna shifted her frowning back into a grin. I didn't return of that and instead my lips cracked open. She made mentions of Jimin and Hoseok whom is currently on a room that he dislikes and sees as prison. She never muttered of Minah's name which made me slightly unsettled. I know that there was still bitterness and ache in her, but it wouldn't be any better without Minah.

Hanna wondered why Hoseok missed the first day of school did. I couldn't tell him of anyt

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter