Height Difference

Leader X Maknae: A Series of JiTzu Oneshots
 
 
Summary: Guess being small isn't so bad after all.
 
 

 
 
There are many disadvantages of being short.
 
Well sure, Jihyo wasn't that short to begin with (in fact, she was actually of average height), nor was she the shortest amongst the nine (that honour went to the slightly tinier rap-line). But with her giant maknae-slash-girlfriend constantly towering over her, there were bound to be a few moments where she wished she wasn't so 'vertically challenged', especially when said girlfriend had a rather unique way of showing her love.
 

-------------------
 

Tensions ran high as the two girls stared each other down. Or stared up in Jihyo's case.
 
"Yoo Jeongyeon, give that back!" the leader growled, maintaining her deadly gaze as she stretched out her arms, reaching for her phone that was dangled directly above her head. Jeongyeon merely smirked, an arm high above her head, keeping the phone in her hand safely out of the smaller girl's reach. "Come and get it then short stuff," she said mockingly, grinning when Jihyo's temper began to flare. "Stupid ostrich!" she yelled before launching herself at the taller girl.
 
The remaining seven stood by, watching the scene unfold but paying little mind to the duo's antics. While both girls were usually the most motherly in the group, they were also the most mischievous of the bunch, and at times like this, it's better to stay out of their usual banter if they wanted to avoid becoming the unfortunate victim of the 'war'. It did however give the girls a good laugh as they watched Jihyo hop up and down, struggling to overcome the height difference between them.
 
Tzuyu could only shake her head as she leaned against the wall, arms crossed with small smile on her lips. She was sure that it wouldn't be long before she had to step in, knowing that Jihyo would soon surrender and get her to help when her defeat was eminent. As expected, Jihyo pleadingly turned to her moments after, a pout resting on her pink lips, silently pleading for her girlfriend to help. Sighing, the maknae moved from her spot, walking towards the noisy duo.
 
"That's enough unnie," Tzuyu said as she casually reached over and plucked the phone out from Jeongyeon's grip causing her to groan in dismay. "You're no fun Tzuyu," the older girl complained to the youngest before glaring at the leader who happily stuck her tongue out at her. "Says who?" came the maknae's response as she dangled the phone higher above Jihyo's head just as the older girl was about the take it from her.
 
Jihyo gasped, horrified at the maknae's betrayal, prompting a bout of laughter from the other members. "Tzuyu-ah," she whined, gazing at the maknae with puppy eyes. "You're so tiny unnie," Tzuyu teased, patting Jihyo's head with her free hand, much to the older girl's annoyance. Swatting the hand away, the leader sent the younger girl a sullen look before she stormed off towards the kitchen. "You know what," Jihyo groaned, not bothering to face the snickering members, "I'll just cook without a recipe and hope all of you suffer from food poisoning."
 
"You should go calm her down, Tzuyu-ah. I don't think I'm ready to die just yet," Nayeon said in between her giggles, knowing fully well that her best friend was sulking in the kitchen. Tzuyu simply nodded and proceeded to make her way to the kitchen while ignoring her best friend who seemed to be enjoying this opportunity to poke fun at her. "Who are you to laugh Son Chaeyoung. You and Somi aren't any better," Tzuyu retorted, sending the girls into another laughing fit as the rapper turned a deep shade of scarlet.
 
In the kitchen, Jihyo was having a dilemma of her own. Having no recipe and pretty poor cooking skills meant that the leader would have to turn to instant noodles in order to feed her family of nine. However, the only noodles they had in the dorm sat hidden in the back of the top shelf to ensure that none of the members — Momo in particular, would ever find and steal it for a late night snack.
 
Stretching out her arms and even on her toes, Jihyo was nowhere near to grabbing the packet. Even jumping couldn't help, her fingers still inches away from the goods. She contemplated asking the taller members for help but decided against it as she was still sulking over the phone incident from earlier. Looking for an alternative way, she grabbed a nearby chair and climbed on, the increased height finally allowing her to reach the item she was looking for.
 
"Unnie, what are you doing up there?" Startled by the sudden voice, Jihyo jumped causing the chair to tip over and send her tumbling towards the ground. A loud crash resounded through the room as the chair topped over and the packet of noodles slipped out of her grip. Jihyo shut her eyes, bracing herself for the pain that never came, instead she felt a pair of arms softly catching her mid-fall .
 
Opening her eyes, she was met with her maknae's judging gaze but Jihyo could see the slight worry in her eyes. "Unnie, I know I'm pretty but I'm already yours. You didn't need to fall for me again," Tzuyu joked, setting Jihyo back on the ground and silently scanning the girl for injuries. The leader rolled her eyes at the joke but smiled at the younger girl in thanks, prompting the taller girl to pull her into a hug.
 
"Looks like we'll have to order in today," Tzuyu said, glancing at the noodle bits scattered across the kitchen floor. Jihyo agreed, sighing at the mess she had made and Tzuyu could only pat her on the shoulder to comfort her. "Can you hand me my phone?" she asked, wanting to dial up their usual delivery place. Tzuyu however had other things in mind and decided to tease the older girl once more, holding the phone high.
 
"Tzuyu-ah!" she whined, bringing laughter to the dorm once again.
 

-------------------
 

It was two in the morning when Tzuyu stepped into the dorm, lugging her luggage in behind her.
 
When the new year rolled in and the girls finally had a week long gap in their never ending schedules, the company had finally given the members a chance to return home for a break. All of them sans Momo and Mina, who wanted some alone time in the dorm, had jumped at the opportunity to return home, especially after knowing that their schedules would be full once again upon their return.
 
Slowly and quietly, she closed the door behind her, wanting to avoid waking the few members that were now back in the dorm. Tzuyu grinned as she took in the familiar scent. As much as she loved her home and family back in Taiwan, she had missed the chaos in the dorm and the affections from her members in Korea, particularly from a certain brunette whom she knew had just returned from a trip in Osaka with her family.
 
The dorm was dark as she had expected since the members that were currently present at the dorm were probably asleep, trying to get some rest to compensate for the hours they had lost prior to their break. Dragging her luggage behind her, she did her best to silently make her way to her room. She was aware that the rest of the maknae line were still with their families so didn't have to worry much about the noise there. Her eyes however did catch sight of a small figure curled up on the couch and she was sure she already knew who it was. 
 
Tzuyu felt bad. She did not expect that the older girl to have stayed up to wait for her return since she had called beforehand to tell her not to, knowing that her flight would be arriving late anyways. Thus the sight of her lover waiting for her had tugged at her heartstrings even though said girl was currently fast asleep. "Jihyo unnie?" she called out softly, not wanting to wake any of the other members. Thankfully, the older girl was a light sleeper and woke up almost immediately after hearing her voice.
 
"You're home," Jihyo greeted cheerily as she rubbed the sleep out of her eyes, getting off the sofa and making her way towards the taller girl, hoping to embrace the younger girl after being separated for so long. To her misfortune however, she was met with a hand pressed against her forehead, preventing her from moving any closer to the girl who kept her an arm's length away. She whined as her short limbs failed to reach the evil maknae and she huffed in annoyance, glaring up at the taller girl.
 
"Curse your long arms. Why do you have to be so tall!" Jihyo cried out, arms still reaching out for the younger girl who laughed and lowered her arm, pulling her girlfriend into her embrace. "You really remind me of a duckling, unnie," Tzuyu remarked, earning a questioning look from Jihyo. "You're just so small and cute," Tzuyu elaborated, mocking the older girl's small height. "Shut up, giant. You're just lucky to be blessed with good genes," Jihyo scoffed, rolling her eyes at the maknae. "Either way, you're still so small," Tzuyu continued much to Jihyo's annoyance.
 
Jihyo huffed and rubbed her temples. "You know, I got you something from Japan," Jihyo said, trying to change the subject before waddling off to her bedroom and returning with a simple white box topped with a ribbon. "I was going to give it to you but you kept mocking my height. However, since I'm nice, I'm going to give it to you anyways," she continued, haughtily handing over the gift to the younger girl. "Open it." 
 
Tzuyu chuckled at the older girl's antics and opened the gift, eyes widening as she took a look inside; a simple silver necklace with a single wing shone in the dim light. "Let me help you with that." Taking the necklace from the box, Jihyo reached behind the taller girl's neck, tiptoeing when she failed to reach. Seeing the older girl struggle, Tzuyu bent down slightly so Jihyo could fasten the clasp. "Do you like it?" she asked, but Tzuyu's attention seemed to be on something else. "Tzuyu?"
 
"Is that my shirt?" Tzuyu asked, noting how the familiar-looking shirt seemed to be a few sizes too large for the older girl. "N-no," Jihyo stuttered staring at her feet, suddenly finding the floor incredibly interesting. "You sure?" the younger of the two asked again, her hands on her hips as she gave the older girl a judging gaze. "Maybe..." the leader grumbled, still not meeting Tzuyu's eyes. Tzuyu raised her eyebrow, arms crossed across her chest and Jihyo finally confessed, muttering a soft "yes" in response.
 
Tzuyu grinned, hands squishing the leader's chubby cheeks together. "Aww, did my little unnie miss me?" she cooed, chuckling as the leader turned bright red. "I did not. It's just comfortable ok," the older girl responded, hurriedly walking away from her lover and taking a seat on the sofa. Tzuyu followed closely behind her, silently giggling at the older girl's shyness and being the evil child that she was, Tzuyu planted herself on the leader's lap, making sure to put her whole weight on the girl beneath her.
 
Jihyo groaned under Tzuyu's weight. "Ack! Get off me Chou Tzuyu," she grunted, trying to squirm out from under the younger girl. The maknae merely shook her head and leaned against Jihyo, making herself comfortable on the leader's lap. After much struggling, Jihyo gave up with a sigh of defeat, slipping her arms around Tzuyu's waist and resting her head against the youngest's back. They fell into a comfortable silence, simply enjoying each other's presence. 
 
"Thanks for the gift unnie," Tzuyu spoke after a few seconds of silence. "Why a wing though?" Jihyo slipped her hands into Tzuyu's, intertwining them before answering. "Two reasons," came Jihyo's reply. "Firstly, because you're my angel. And secondly, because I want you to know that I'll always protect you. Just like your guardian angel." Both girls cringed at the cheesy words, but Tzuyu was secretly touched by her unnie's thoughtfulness, tightening her hold on Jihyo's hands.
 
"I suppose you have one for yourself too?" she asked out of curiosity and Jihyo nodded, pulling a similar necklace out from under her shirt. "An angel needs both wings to fly, don't they?" she responded and Tzuyu just laughed at her unnie's cheesy one liners. "Now will you get off me?" Jihyo asked, still stuck under Tzuyu. "Nope," Tzuyu answered but she wasn't prepared for her unnie's retaliation.
 
Tzuyu squealed as Jihyo tickled her sides, laughing and trying to escape from her girlfriend's clutches. Her constant struggling knocked both girls flat on the sofa, with Tzuyu falling in top of Jihyo. They stared at each other wide eyed, their gazes lingering on the other's lips and unconsciously they leaned in for a kiss. Just as their lips were about to meet, they were interrupted by a flying pillow, smacking them square in the face. They turned to that direction only to be met by the sight of an angry penguin.
 
"Some people are trying to sleep here," Mina grumbled from the hallway with a sleepy Momo clinging to her body. "Sorry Minari." "Sorry unnie." The duo apologised sheepishly, giggling silently as they watch a grumpy Mina drag Momo into Momo's bedroom. "We should get some sleep too, Tzuyu," Jihyo said before sliding out of Tzuyu's grasp and pulling the younger girl to her feet. "Good night." 
 
As Jihyo made her way towards her bedroom, Tzuyu gripped onto her arm, effectively stopping her. "Where do you think you're going?"she asked in a low whisper, stepping closer to the older girl and sending goosebumps along Jihyo's skin. "B-bedroom," Jihyo managed to stutter out, finding the maknae's strong gaze unnerving. "Well, you're sleeping with me tonight," Tzuyu purred into Jihyo's ear before pulling her girlfriend into her bedroom and slamming the door behind them.
 
And it was safe to say that no one in the dorm had managed to get ample sleep that night.
 

-------------------
 

"Over here unnie," Tzuyu called out as she waited for Jihyo to walk over.
 
It was the last day of their break and the couple had decided to spend it together on a date before they were swamped with concert and comeback preparations all over again. The girls were now at the subway headed towards the last stop on their itinerary, separated from each other in a huge crowd as they waited for their train to arrive. Facing the crowd made the girls nervous, knowing that there was a higher chance of being recognised and having their alone time disturbed.
 
Jihyo on the hand had another dilemma — she couldn't see past the crowd and her short legs made it hard for her to catch up with her much taller lover. She tiptoed, trying to look for the younger girl's familiar figure, but still came up short. "We don't want to lose you in this crowd now, do we?" Jihyo felt a hand slip into hers and she didn't need to turn around to know who it was, immediately tightening her hold on the hand as they moved with the crowd.
 
Now another issue with being short is having short legs and even shorter steps. That was what Jihyo thought as she struggled to keep with the fast-moving crowd, her slightly slower pace causing her to constantly knock into those surrounding her. And unfortunately for her, some people weren't too pleased about that, shooting glares at the young girl and causing her to lower her head in embarrassment.
 
"Hey, can't you move your legs any faster? Or are they too short and stubby?" came a male voice from behind. They turned back to see two teens snickering at the insult as they continued to mock the smaller girl's 'short' legs. Glancing at her girlfriend, Tzuyu could see the crestfallen look on the girl's face and the slouched shoulders, knowing immediately that the older girl was hurt and decided to take action.
 
"Silly me, I'll make sure to move my stubby legs faster. Sorry for the rest inconvenience," Tzuyu said in a sickeningly sweet voice before pulling Jihyo away when the boys stared at her in confusion. "Crazy ," they heard one of them mutter and Jihyo stopped in her tracks, turning around to glare at them, her blood boiling in anger. "What did you say?," Jihyo growled from behind her mask, sending chills down their spine. "I dare you to say that again."
 
The older girl bent her knees, ready to leap at her target when Tzuyu wrapped an arm around her waist, picking her up and dragging her away from the scene."Put me down Tzuyu. Let me knock some sense into that thick skull of theirs," she hissed, the anger in her eyes sending the boys running. "Let them be unnie, the train is here," she whispered as Jihyo attempted to wriggle out of her grip and chase after them. "But he called you a —" 
 
"They're not worth it and people are starting to stare," Tzuyu cut her off and place her back on her feet, keeping an arm on her girlfriend's waist to lead her on board the train. Sensing the stares, Jihyo quieted down and leaned in closer to the maknae as she guided her through the opened doors of the packed train and towards the seats while ensuring that they were unrecognisable. To her dismay however, all seats were taken and the girls were left to stand amongst the crowd.
 
The doors began closing and Jihyo reached for the railing above her for support. Unfortunately for her, the rails were just too high; tiptoeing barely allowed her to grab onto it. Before she could fully brace herself, the train jerked forward causing her to lose her balance and sending her crashing into the taller figure next to her who thankfully, managed to both keep her hold on the rail and support her flailing girlfriend. "I think you're better off holding onto me instead unnie," Tzuyu teased, prompting blood to rush into the Jihyo's cheek. A muffled 'shut up' could be heard as she buried her face in the maknae's chest.
 
Soon after, the crowd began to clear up as the sun began to set and the couple finally found seats in the once packed train. Excited for their trip, Jihyo started swinging her legs before making a rather interesting (or depressing, she thought) find; her feet couldn't reach the floor. Curious, she took a glance at Tzuyu's long legs, noticing how she had her feet flat on the floor. With the determination to not lose face, she stretched her legs toward the floor, tongue poking out as she kept her goal in mind. 
 
Tzuyu eyed her lover's strange antics, smiling slightly when she saw the pout form on Jihyo's lips as she failed her task and turned away, pretending she had not noticed those antics  when the leader stared up at her. Jihyo snuggled closer to Tzuyu, resting her head against the taller girl's shoulder to ignore her embarrassing failure. She shut her eyes when Tzuyu's hand found its way to her scalp, softly patting her head and she yawned, letting the rhythmic action lull her into a deep slumber.
 
Keeping an eye on the stops, Tzuyu stayed awake and still while she allowed Jihyo to rest, only shifting her position slightly whenever the leader seemed to be uncomfortable as to provide her with as much comfort as possible. When the train halted at their stop, the maknae mustered her most gentle voice to wake the older girl. "Unnie, we're here," she said gently, her tone just enough to stir the light sleeper from her slumber. Jihyo rubbed the sleep from her eyes and stood up as Tzuyu took her hand in hers.
 
They stepped out of the train hand in hand, Tzuyu keeping a tight grip on the older girl. "You're small and can easily get lost in the crowd," she had reasoned but Jihyo just shook her head in amusement as the station was pretty much empty anyways. "You don't need a reason to hold my hand you know," the leader teased just to get a reaction from the other girl. Tzuyu was unfazed and responded with a smirk saying,"at least, my feet can touch the ground when I sit," turning Jihyo into a blushing mess once again. "Shush Tzuyu, you're so noisy."
 
"That's not what you said last night," came her response before she ran away from the now furious, crimson faced female."GET BACK HERE YOU STUPID GIANT!" Jihyo screamed before running after the younger girl with a smile on her face as they stepped out of the station and towards their destination, the sound of their laughter filling the area.
 

-------------------
 

"Tzuyu, look. It's the sea!" 
 
Said girl chuckled at her lover's childlike enthusiasm, beaming as she made her way to the older girl's side. After a somewhat romantic dinner and some sightseeing in the city, the couple had ventured off to one of the more secluded beaches in the outskirts of Busan for a late night stroll along the scenic shoreline. They breathed in the salty sea breeze, enjoying the cool air and beautiful scenery with no worries, knowing that no one else would be as crazy as them and would visit the beach at night in the middle of winter.
 
Disguises were removed and skinship became more intimate when it comes as clear that they wouldn't be watched. They walked side by side, their intertwined hands swinging as they moved. Above them the stars scattered across the sky glittered and the moonlight shone on them as they stood side by side, simply enjoying the other girl's presence. It was as though time had paused, the idol life non existent and their love was the only thing that mattered in the whole world.
 
"Hey Tzuyu," Jihyo called out, prompting Tzuyu to turn to her with a hum, only to get sprayed by the salty liquid that Jihyo had just splashed at her. The maknae gasped at the cold sensation and betrayal, eliciting a peal of laughter from the supposedly more mature female. The maknae immediately took action, using her longer limbs to splash a larger torrent of water at the laughing girl, receiving shrieks from said girl. 
 
They continued to play in that manner before Jihyo decided to hurtle towards Tzuyu, wanting to tackle the younger girl into the cold waters. Alas, she was too small and only managed to knock the maknae a step back before Tzuyu decided that they both were soaked enough and caught the leader in her arms, running up the beach back to where they had set up a beach towel to sit on as Jihyo tried to wriggle out of her grip.
 
Laying the older girl on the blanket, Tzuyu laid on top of her, a hand cupping Jihyo's cheek and the other at the side of her head, holding herself above the leader. "I really want to kiss you right now unnie," Tzuyu whispered, her fingers ghosting across the skin of Jihyo's cheek. "Do it then," came the leader's soft reply as they stared into each other's eyes, her lust-filled gaze inviting Tzuyu closer until their lips met.
 
Hungry lips ravaged each other as they battled for dominance. Tzuyu took charge, tightening her hold on Jihyo's cheek and nibbling at the older girl's lips, prompting the escape of a silent gasp through her parted lips. Her tongue took the opportunity, slipping into the moist cavern and exploring the inside. Jihyo's arms wrapped around Tzuyu's neck, hands tangling in the maknae's locks and bringing them closer than they had expected.
 
They parted for air, panting and gasping as they rested their foreheads together, an ache between their legs signalling the unfinished business they would have to do in the privacy of their own room. Tzuyu rolled off Jihyo's body, arms wrapping around her waist, spooning the older girl. She rested her chin on her girlfriend's head, fingers lazily finding each other as they stared at the stars above them.
 
"Being so small isn't that bad unnie," Tzuyu casually stated. "And why is that?" Jihyo asked questioningly, leaning her body against Tzuyu's. "Because we can cuddle and every inch of you can receive my love," she replied, pressing kisses to the side of her lover's head. Jihyo hummed in response, closing her eyes to take in the younger girl's scent and the sound of their heartbeats in sync with each other.
 
"Look a shooting star," came Tzuyu's voice, prompting her eyelids to part to witness the sight. "Make a wish unnie." And Jihyo did, wishing for an eternal love with the girl who held her so close to her heart, and also that despite their constant teasing, there will only be love between the two. Jihyo glanced up at Tzuyu and when their eyes met, she knew that the younger girl had the exact same wish.
 
"Let's go back unnie," Tzuyu spoke softly, pulling Jihyo to her feet. And as she rested her head on Tzuyu's shoulder through the trip home, she concluded that the height difference they had just made the relationship a lot more fun after all. Guess there were perks of being short after all.
 
 

A/N: So this took me longer to write than expected... Anyways, if anyone has any request or suggestions, feel free to leave it in the comments and I'll see what I can do. Fair warning though; I'm having A levels this year so it might take me a while to write out your requests.
Anywho, thanks for the subscriptions and comments and see you in the next update. :)