Chapter 8

Espressivo

Apparently, 'out' meant the small café he worked at. Yoongi wasn't complaining though; he was going to drop by after practice anyway.

 

He raised his eyebrows as he watched the silver haired male walk to the counter with a wide grin on his face. What was he so happy about? Yoongi thought.

 

Dismissing the thought aside, he decided to seat himself down on his usual place near the large window.

 

It was relaxing, watching various people pass by, and observing their behaviour as they went on with their everyday lives - he never grew tired of it.

 

Like he'd mentioned before – he enjoyed people watching.

 

He sighed as he rested his chin on his palm, turning his attention to Jimin as he waited for the younger to arrive with their orders. Jimin was leaning forward on the counter, his left foot tapping rhythmically against the polished floor as he waited.

 

He was glancing around at his surroundings, until his eyes landed on Yoongi's. The younger beamed at him, causing him to turn his back to Jimin, turning his attention back to the view outside. Why was he burning up? This was unlike him.

 

"Hyung, I got you an Americano! I hope that's okay – I was going to ask you but then you walked away before I could so..." The younger trailed off, rubbing the nape of his neck.

 

"Americano's fine," he simply answered before taking his coffee, and placing the straw in his mouth to take a sip of it. The ravenette looked back outside at the people passing by in silence.

 

A mother and son walked past the café, their hands swinging back and forth. He smiled faintly as he noticed the small boy giggle in joy, looking up at his mother. The mother smiled down at her son too, before making their hands swing forward again.

 

Watching them so happy caused a frown to be etched on his pale face. The interaction between the pair triggered a memory of himself and his mother. They would always go on walks like that from time to time, enjoying each other's company.

 

She always knew how to make him feel better – happier. He never understood how, but he never felt the need to question it either. She was his mother after all; of course, she'd know what made him smile.

 

Just watching her smile brightly brought a smile on his own face. It's fascinating how someone's smile can have such an effect on other people.

 

Even today, as she's laid down under the white coloured bed sheet, she still never failed to beam widely at Yoongi whenever he visited.

 

Despite knowing that she would never be able to walk again, she smiled. Despite knowing that she would slowly be paralysed from head to toe, she smiled. Despite knowing that there was no way to save her, she would smile reassuringly at him, telling him that she'll be fine. That she'd always be there for him when he needed her. That she was just a phone call away when he wanted to talk.

 

But he knew. Yoongi knew she was putting up a strong front, for him. So that he wouldn't grow even more worried.

 

Contrary to what she believed, he knew, how she would always cry after he left the room uttering a string of apologies to him.

 

He hated how weak she'd sound, how broken she'd sound. Yet, she would never let that side of her surface when he was around, as if—as if she was afraid of how much it would hurt him.

 

She wouldn't be wrong. Of course, he would be broken, but only because it hurt to see his mother so weak, so helpless. But he wanted her to share her pain, he didn't want her to suffer alone like this.

 

And it's not like he hadn't asked her, he had. She just always managed to brush it off and assure him that she was perfectly fine, so you should stop worrying so much about me.

 

Then, she would ask him how things are going with his degree, acting as if nothing was wrong. He would play along for her sake, and talk about his friends, his part time job, and the competition among other things.

 

That had been a month ago; he hadn't been able to visit her since. And now that the finals were nearing, the thought of paying her a visit had slipped from his mind.

 

As he came to the decision that he would visit her tomorrow, he was snapped out of his thoughts by the clicking of fingers in front of him. He blinked and turned to the silver haired male, who had a slight frown on his face for some unknown reason.

 

"Are you okay, hyung? You spaced out for the longest time, and why are you sad? Is something wrong? Oh my god, are you sick?" The younger bombarded him with numerous questions, voice dripping with worry, causing him to roll his eyes yet again at the other's antics.

 

"I'm fine, Jimin, calm down," he replied, sighing. He had zoned out for a while there, hadn't he?

 

"If you really are then, why are you crying?" The younger questioned, a frown displayed on his face. Confused, he brought his hand to his cheek only to find it wet. Oh. "Hyung, are you really okay?" Jimin asked again, placing a hand on top of his.

 

Yoongi looked down at their hands and abruptly pulled his back, placing it on his lap instead. Wiping his cheeks, he looked back up at the silver haired male, who seemed to have an expression of hurt painted on his face now.

 

Maybe he shouldn't have pulled back so suddenly. This was why he preferred being on his own.

 

"Sorry," he said, sighing. The sudden contact just made him startled, that's all.

 

"It's okay! I should be apologising for startling you, but," the younger assured, "are you 100% sure that you're okay?" he repeated. "Because if you're not, we can leave now and practice another time, I don't mind, hyung!" Yoongi raised an eyebrow at the younger, his lips tugging up in amusement.

 

"I'm fine, really Jimin. And anyway, 20 minutes are almost over from what I can see," he replied with a shrug. A grunt escaped the younger's mouth at that, causing him to release a breath of laughter.

 

"Hyung, come on," the younger whinged, "you can't be serious about that. It took us 10 just to get here! What's it going to take for you to stay for a little longer?"

 

"Nothing will make me change my mind, so don't even bother trying." He answered with a shake of his head as he took a few more sips of his Americano. "Plus, we really need to get back to practice, because let's face it – we're nowhere near perfecting even one of my compositions."

 

"Have you found some inspiration then?" The younger asked. Yoongi paused. He hadn't found any at all.

 

See? What had been the point of going out? It would have been better if they had just stayed at the university and continued practicing. Eventually, he would have come up with some inspiration. Eventually...

 

He sighed before taking a last sip of his drink and stood up.

 

"No, I haven't, but clearly, your suggestion to go out didn't help either," this caused the younger to pout at him, "so let's just go back and try something else." He pushed the chair in and walked around towards the exit.

 

"That's why I'm saying! We should stay for a while longer," Jimin argued, with his voice slightly raised. "Ah! I know!"

 

Yoongi jumped in surprise, before turning around. The younger was grinning widely now. His eyebrow raised at this because Jimin's eyes were practically twinkling.

 

"I know something that might help you, come on!" Jimin grabbed onto his hand and pulled him out of the cafe.

 

"H-Hey! Where are you taking me, Park Jimin?" He shouted as they ran. But his shouts fell on deaf ears as the silver haired male eagerly dragged him to god knew where.

 

He sighed exasperatedly, letting himself be pulled along until they reached their destination, whatever it was.

 

♪ ♪ ♪

 

"We're here." The younger announced, panting.

 

Yoongi was a few steps behind the other. He bent down, his hands on his knees as he too panted. God, what had the younger made them run for so long?

 

"Hyung, come quick or you'll miss it! Come on," the younger's voice got closer before a hand was wrapped around his own, starting to pull him forward again.

 

"Seriously Park Jimin, I'm not some rag doll that you can drag around wherever you please," he complained as he was led forwards.

 

"Would you shut up and just look for a second?" Taken slightly aback by the remark, he was ready to reprimand the other, until he saw the view.

 

A soft blend of reds, yellows, and oranges – even a splash of dark blue – painted the broadening sky. He could see the light glow of the sun, hiding behind the lit-up bridge and silhouette of mountains and hills. The rippled reflection of the sunset and the bridge and mountains all brushed together. The lights from the bridge brightly painted in streaks of red, yellow, and white stood out on the water. The reddened sky slowly faded away in the background now.

 

It was a truly breath-taking sight. He didn't think he had ever seen such a beautiful sky in his twenty-three years of existence.

 

"Beautiful, isn't it?" He heard the silver haired male say from beside him.

 

Yoongi turned to the side to see the younger with a smile on his face, his hands inside his coat pockets. The faint light of the sun that was still present shone on the younger's face, making it look as if he was glowing.

 

"It's just as amazing as the last time I came hereㅡnoㅡmaybe even better." Jimin chuckled lightly, before turning his head in his direction. A tilt of the head. "What's wrong?"

 

He was staring. Well, look away then, idiot.

 

"Do you not like it? Was this a stupid idea, too? I'm sorryㅡI made you run all the way here for nothing, didn't I? Iㅡ"

 

"Jesus Christ, Jimin, would you stop jumping to conclusions so quickly?" He interrupted. "I didn't say I didn't like it. I agree that it's beautiful, but," he watched as the younger's brows lifted up in anticipation, "but, would it have killed you to call for taxi, instead of making me run fifty miles to get me here?"

 

"Stop exaggerating, hyung. It was only like four miles, and if anything," Jimin scanned him from head to toe before looking at him again, "hmm, despite having a decent body, if you're getting tired this easily, you should exercise more." He remarked, one arm crossed over his chest, and the other under his chin as if pondering about something as he looked at Yoongi up and down again.

 

He really wished the younger would stop looking at him with those intense brown eyes. It made him uncomfortable.

 

"Oh! You know what? You should join me on morning runs, hyung!" Yoongi just looked at the younger and blinked. Once. Twice. Jimin still brightly grinned at him, causing a sudden churn in his stomach. Maybe he was hungry or something.

 

Choosing to ignore the feeling, he spoke up.

 

"No," he shot back. He couldn't understand what was going through the other's mind to even suggest such a thing.

 

"Why not? It'll be fun, come on," the younger persisted.

 

"Then we both have very different ideas of fun," he remarked with a snort. He'd rather stay at home and watch TV, thanks. "Why are you being so persistent on this? I mean, if you want to go on morning runs with someone, I'm sure Hoseok would be up for it." He said.

 

"Oh, actually, Hoseok hyung joins me every Mondays and Wednesdays." The silver haired male stated with a shy smile, to which Yoongi only rolled his eyes at.

 

"Then, why are you asking me?" The ravenette asked with a raised brow.

"Because I want to hang out with you, too," and he said this so casually with a grin, that it caught Yoongi off guard for a moment. "and this way, you'll get some fresh air too. Maybe even some inspiration." He looked at Yoongi so expectantly that he couldn't find it in himself to refuse. Sighing, he decided to accept.

 

"Fine, but if we're going to do this, you have to buy me coffee whenever we go," he said.

 

"Okay, got it! So, is that a deal?" The younger asked, holding his hand out. He looked at the hand questioningly before realising that the younger was asking to shake his hand.

 

"Sure," he sighed and took the other's hand, who shook his hand rather enthusiastically. Yoongi couldn't help but think that Jimin resembled a little puppy right then. It was cuㅡ

 

"Yay! I promise, it'll be fun, don't worry," Jimin assured, still holding his hand in his. He looked down at their hands and then back at the younger, who looked at him questioningly. "Oh! Sorry." Jimin said and quickly released his grasp, rubbing the nape of his neck.

 

Yoongi turned his attention back on the sunset, only to realise that it'd vanished, and now only the lights of the bridge shone brightly on the water.

 

He brought his wrist up, and checked the time. 5:52pm. It was time they headed back, although he was a little upset that he still had no clue about his compositions. Despite the view being unbelievably awe-inspiring, Yoongi's mind was still as deprived of ideas as ever. And it frustrated him to no end.

 

Why was it so difficult for him to come up with ideas for the finals? He would be lying if he said he wasn't panicking.

 

If anything, the time they spent outside should have been used for practice. But he couldn't seem to refuse Jimin.

 

Why?

 


 

a/n: hello, yes, sorry for such a late update, the stress was just unbelievable last week ;-; but, i hope this chapter makes up for it! have a lovely week everyone ♡