Chapter 11

Espressivo

An hour and half later into his Music Theory class - still nothing. His notebook may be covered with chords and bars and lyrics, but they were useless if they couldn't be of any use. 
 

What was he doing wrong? He's written all his music the same way - in his favourite music room - and he'd never had any problems then. Hell, he had produced some of his best works in that room. So why? What was so different now
 

Jimin, his conscious offered.
 

Jimin? He thought to himself.
 

Jimin, his conscious repeated.
 

Well, it was true that ever since it was announced at the semi-finals that all musicians would have a dancer accompanying them, he has been on edge. He guessed he still was. 
 

This time he had to write for someone other than just the judges. He had to write something that would suit Jimin; something that Jimin could easily dance along to, without the presence of those awkward movements that he often did when they practiced. It was those awkward movements that were a cause for concern. 
 

It was clear that the pieces that he had produced so far were no good. They were no good and Yoongi didn't know how to change them, or what to even do to produce the perfect song for the younger. He was stumped. And he hated it. It has never happened in his twenty three years of existence; sure, there had been a few bumps here and there, but he'd always managed to get back on track after a few cups of coffee (that almost always helped, emphasis on: almost always), and it would be like nothing had happened. 
 

Unfortunately, recently, that has not been the case, hence the "almost always". No matter how much caffeine he consumed, there was no helping him. There was no helping him, and Yoongi was probably screwed because he didn't know what he could do to get back on track now.
 

Maybe he could drop by Mr. Choi's office after class and see if he can help with his dilemma. Yeah, he'll do that. It would be better than wracking his brain for non-existent ideas.
 

A nudge to his side snapped him out of his train of thoughts, causing him to first wince in pain because ow - and second, to turn to the who had nudged him because what the hell, man? 
 

All his classmate did was point to the front of the lecture hall. Yoongi turned to see a very irked Mr. Lee, his arms crossed. Oh .
 

"Are you quite done with your daydreaming, Mr. Min?" The brown haired professor asked in that overly sweet tone he always addressed Yoongi with. Yoongi stayed silent because one thing he had learned about the elder, was that there was no use in trying to reason with the man, and if you did, then he was sure to make the rest of your years in university a living hell. "Good - now would you explain the term espressivo to the class, please?" He may have said "please", but they all knew that it was sarcasm. 
 

"Espressivo is an Italian musical term to describe a musical composition being performed in an expressive manner." He answered with confidence; it was second nature to him by now. He could practically tell you in his sleep. 
 

"Correct." He could see the sneer on the older male's face as he confirmed Yoongi's answer begrudgingly. "Nowㅡ" 
 

Yoongi snorted inwardly at his professor's reaction, and watched as Mr. Lee returned his attention to the whiteboard. The elder had never really liked him, and still, to this day (two years into university), he never understood the reason behind it. 
 

Subsiding the thought for another day, he turned back to his composition notes, and found himself staring blankly at them again. What was he going to do? 
 

Sighing inwardly, he picked up his pen and started making further scribbles over his work, crossing out anything that he no long deemed fit. This didn't assure him at all. And it made him anxious.
 

♪ ♪ ♪
 

Yoongi knocked on the door lightly, and waited for a response. He really hoped Mr. Choi knew what he could do to get him out of this block.
 

"Come in," a low muffled voice called. Turning the doorknob, he pushed the door open to find his professor hunched over his desk, marking what seemed to be their recent assignment.
 

When he closed the door behind him, the older of the two looked up, now an expression of pleasant surprise on his tanned face.
 

"Yoongi? Well, this is quite unexpected," the older male chuckled before gesturing to the chairs across from him. "Come on, have a seat. Do you want anything to drink? Tea, coffee, water?" He asked with delight.
 

"Ah, no, I'm good, thanks," Yoongi tried to make himself comfortable on the seat, but it was pointless, so he just sat forward, leaning on the armrests. Although, he shouldn't have done that because after putting just a little more pressure caused one of the armrests to break off. "Oh , sorry, I didn't mean toㅡ" 
 

"No, don't worry about it, this kinda thing happens often. I've asked for someone to come in and fix it but they're not coming in until later. Anyway, enough about this," his professor leans forward and looks expectantly at him, "what's going on?"
 

"It's about the music competition," he started, and when the older male stayed silent, he took it as a cue to continue, "so, I've been trying to write some songs, for the finals, but..." he trailed off. He was finding it incredibly difficult to admit that he was at a loss - because this was music, and he hardly ever had trouble with it. It was one thing that he could actually do right in his life. And now that seemed to be failing, too. "But, no matter how many compositional pieces I produce, I feel as if none of them are good enough for the finals. And then, there's the thing about having a dancer as addition to your performance. None of my music seems to suit my partner. I justㅡI don't know what to do now because the competition is in two months, and we've gotten nowhere. Andㅡ" so he was rambling. He knew that, he just couldn't help it; he was panicking.
 

"Yoongi, hey - okay, first I need you calm down," Mr. Choi suggested, pushing a glass of water towards him. Yoongi accepted it silently, taking a large gulp. "Second of all, I understand that winning this competition means a lot to youㅡreally I do," the older adds when he noticed him looking unconvinced, "but you're so much in a rush that you're forgetting the whole point of this challenge in the first place." 
 

Yoongi looked at his professor in confusion, to which the older let out a huff of laughter and shook his head in disbelief.
 

"This challenge was given to you so you'd get the chance to experience what it's like to work with another artist. So you can both work together on creating the best performance. The key words are: working together, Yoongi." He looked down, almost disappointed in himself for forgetting that. "From what I can see, you haven't actually worked together with your partner  - rather, it seems to me that you've automatically decided that you'd work on the music alone, and assume that your partner will go along with your choices. And let me tell you that that is going to get you nowhere, Yoongi." The fact that Mr. Choi knew him so well surprised him. 
 

He always tried to kept a low profile at university because he liked to keep to himself most of the time. Yoongi wasn't one to socialise, he had never been. So when the judges panel announced that all musicians would be accompanied by a dancer, he was anxious (to say the least). Outside his friend circle, he wouldn't talk to anyone else. Because he didn't need anyone else. 
 

So, when he first met Jimin, he didn't know what to make of him. Well, other than the fact that he was a pretty good dancer, and that he liked Hoseok. After two weeks, that hadn't changed; those were still the only things he knew about the younger. 
 

"What I'm trying to say, is that you need to get to know your partner, talk to them, walk through all the decisions you make on your musical pieces with them, you know?" The older finished, an expectant smile on display.
 

"Yeah, I think I understand," he said, a nod of his head. He returned the smile and stood up from his seat, grabbing his bag. "Thank you, Professor." He bowed slightly, in a show of gratitude. 
 

"Great! And there's no need - glad I could help out," Mr. Choi nodded. With another bow, he exited his professor's office.
 

As he started to walk away, Yoongi checked his wrist watch and realised that it was almost time for their scheduled rehearsals, so he began to make his way to the practice rooms. He had decided what he was going to do.
 

When he finally arrived, he was once again met with a dancing Jimin, considerably sweating, telling Yoongi that the younger had been dancing for quite a while now. 
 

He stayed silent, and watched the dancer for a little, fluidly moving from one position to another. Yoongi noted how different Jimin was when he danced. It was like he was looking at a whole new person. It was...interesting. 
 

"Hyung! How long have you been standing there?" The younger stopped dancing and looked at Yoongi through the mirrors. He then proceeded to walk to his phone and stopped the music. That's when he realised that, it was his music playing. Where in the world did he manage to get that from? "You should have said something!" He heard Jimin exclaim, but he was more focused on the younger phone that apparently had his songs stored in them.
 

"WhereㅡWhere did you get that song from?" He asked, still not having gotten over the shock. Jimin sent a confused glance.
 

"What? You mean the Agust D one?" Yoongi could only nod at the question because oh my god, what is this? "I got this from Hoseok hyung. I couldn't find the right song to use for my final exam, because I have to try a style of music I haven't tried before. So hyung suggested I listen to this mixtape, and see if any of the songs on there were of any use, and wow, they were all so good, it was so hard to choose one. But in the end, I decided to go with this one. ㅡ What do you think?" 
 

"You can't...you can't use that song," he said, in a smaller voice than he'd intended.
 

"What?" The dancer asked, a frown displayed on his face now. "Why not?"
 

"You just can't, okay?" He snapped at the other, causing him to wince slightly. It was too personal, he couldn'tㅡwouldn't. How could Hoseok share his music without his permission? He couldn't believe him. Although he was flattered that Jimin liked his music, he couldn't allow him to use it. Not when he hadn't even released them yet. He didn't believe he was ever going to publicise them, though. And frankly, he preferred it that way.
 

"That's not a valid enough reason, hyung. Anyway, why are you getting so angry? This is my final perforㅡ"
 

"It's my song, that's why! They all are, in that mixtape. They're personal. So, you can't use them, you hear me?" He exclaimed in anger, and this time Jimin actually flinched. And Yoongi hated himself all over again. He hadn't meant to yell at the younger. . Slowly exhaling, he collected himself. "Sorry. I didn't mean to yell. I justㅡthat song, that mixtape, they are too personal to let you use them. Sorry. I hope you understand."
 

"Oh my god." He heard Jimin say, and it caused him to look up. "Oh my god. No freaking way. YouㅡYou're Agust D?!" The younger cried out. He was looking at Yoongi in awe. All he could do was nod because that's all he got from what Yoongi said? Wow. "Holy , this is amazing! I can't believe it. You're Agust D. No wonder the voice on the tracks sounded familiar! That was you, wasn't it? Oh wow." 
 

He didn't know what to say, how to react to Jimin. He'd never actually encountered a fan of his work before. This was new, wow. Although, he didn't dislike it. 
 

But no. That's not what he should be focusing on.
 

"Jimin...did you hear at all what I said?" He asked in disbelief. 
 

"Ohㅡyeah," the dancer flushed, rubbing the back of his neck, "sorry, I got a little carried away there. But, don't worry! I won't use your songs." The younger assured, though he looked saddened. "I'll try and find something else for my performance. It's all good!" And even though Jimin was smiling, he felt guilty. Now he wondered how long the younger had been practicing his song for his exam. He hoped it wasn't too long. Feeling the need to know, though, he spoke.
 

"When is your final exam, Jimin?" 
 

"Oh, it's on January the 6th, why?" The younger replied, his eyebrows furrowed. 
 

A month. His exam was a month away. Yoongi was definitely afraid to ask how long the younger had been practicing now.
 

"And how long have you practiced with that song exactly?" 
 

"I'd say around two months?" Hoseok had shared his songs two months ago? What the . "We found out the date of our exam at around early October, so everybody's been preparing since then. Though, I found your music a week or so after we were given the final date." 
 

Yoongi felt even worse. 
 

He'd probably just screwed Jimin over by refusing to let him use his song. . 
 

"Will you be ready by then? For your exam, I mean." He asked, face etched with worry. 
 

"Yeah, I'll be fine. I think I'll just go with the song I was initially going to go with," Jimin assured him, though he felt anything but. It's not that he doubted Jimin's skills, he could guess how good he was from the few times he'd seen the younger rehearse. But the look on Jimin's face told him that he was not going to be fine. As if Yoongi didn't feel ty already.
 

"Jimin, you have a month!" He exclaimed. 
 

"I'll be okay, hyung. Really, Iㅡ" 
 

"Let me write a song for you," he blurted out before he could stop himself. When Jimin's eyes widened, he realised what he'd just said and altered his words, "your exam! I meㅡI mean your exam. Let me write a song for your exam." He felt himself burning up and , why the hell was he blushing?
 

"Oh, no. No, I can't allow you to do that, hyung. It's really fine! Plus, even with the new song, I'd have to come up with a different choreography, so it's really alright." The younger insisted, shaking his head in refusal. That's when an idea popped into his head. It was a little far fetched, but he always liked a challenge. (Funny, because that's not what it seemed like with the current challenge he was facing).
 

"Not necessarily," and when the dancer only sent him an expression of confusion, he elaborated, "I know it sounds ridiculous but, I think I can make the song fit to your choreography. But," he stopped the other from interrupting due to excitement, "I'll need a recording of your dance as reference." He finished, giving his cue for the younger to speak. 
 

"You can do that?" Jimin asked, excitement painting his features. "Wow, hyung. You're amazing." Right at that moment, with Jimin looking at him with his eyes wide in awe, Yoongi couldn't help but find him cute. His cheeks were flushed as he took in the younger's words.
 

"I haven't done anything yet, kid," he chuckled lowly. "I can't guarantee it'll be any good, but I'll do my best." He said, scratching the back of his head.
 

Then, a pair of arms wrapped around his neck, and before he knew it, Jimin was hugging him. 
 

"Thank you so much, hyung! Thank you, thank you, thank you! You don't know how much this means to me, oh wow." He could feel Jimin's hot breath on his neck, and that caused shivers down his spine. Yoongi didn't know if he hated it, but he didn't know if he liked it either. So he just stood there, awkwardly, allowing Jimin to embrace him. 
 

It wasn't long before the younger pulled back, beaming at him. But then, he realised that Jimin's face was inches away from his and he's frozen in place. And for a good 10 seconds he's staring. Until he becomes aware of what he's actually doing, and stepped back abruptly. 
 

"Right, well," he clears his throat, "when do you think you can send me a video of your dance routine?" He asked, trying to ignore the fact that he was so close to Park Jimin. 
 

"Oh, I can send that to you tonight if you want? I always record my routines, so it's only a matter of finding it. It's in my laptop, I think," Jimin replied, to which he just nodded.
 

"Right, well, okay. If you can send it over tonight, I can start working on the song right away." He told the dancer, who grinned. 
 

"I don't know how to thank you, hyung, really." The younger breathed out in relief. 
 

"Coffee works," Yoongi offers, a corner of his lips curving up. What? He was only helping the dancer decide.
 

"Sure, I can do coffee. Say, after practice?" Jimin suggested with an expectant smile, and god, did he ever stop smiling? He was like Hoseok, but cuter. Wait, what
 

"Let's start practice," and with that said, he rushed to the grand piano and sat down on the stool. Jimin had already gotten in position before he had the chance to tell him to, so hovered his fingers over the keys and with a long exhale, he began playing.

 


 

a/n: jc this is so late, i'm sorry, but i hope this chapter makes up for it ;;