Chapter 10

Espressivo

The persistent ringing caused the ravenette to furrow his dark brows in annoyance. 
 

He tried to ignore it, placing his pillow around the back of his head, and folding the two sides to his ears. He could still hear the ringing unfortunately; he groaned.
 

Who the  was calling him at o'clock in the morning? — Hell, the sun hadn't even unveiled itself yet, so who – who in their right mind would try and disrupt his slumber? Who—
 

Something soft made contact with his body just then, interrupting his thoughts. Uncovering his ears, he turned around to find Hoseok moving in his bed. The blonde grunted, before opening an eye to look at him.
 

"Will you get that already? — Some people are trying to get some well-deserved sleep over here, you ," he groaned, still not seeming to be fully awake. Well, neither was he. 
 

"You're not the only person in this apartment—if you haven't forgotten, i live in this ty apartment, too," he remarked, rolling his eyes. 
 

"Yeah, unfortunately," the blonde scoffed, "and if you find this place so ty, then I'll gladly pack your bags. Then, I'll finally have this place to myself – like I was supposed to," 
 

"I never said I was leaving, and this is the only decent place I can afford—and you know that, so stop being a , Hoseok, because you agreed to this, too," he snapped. 
 

They had both agreed to share the apartment, when they discovered that it was the only building in the entire block that had a vacancy. Fate had really not been on his side.
 

Of course, he would have preferred to have the place to himself, like Hoseok. But, that just wasn't happening at that moment, because he needed Hoseok to pay half, as much as he hated to admit.
 

God, he really wasn't the best person to talk to in the morning. Neither was Hoseok, as indicated by his violent tossing and turning. Plus—
 

"Just pick up the damn phone, Yoongi, oh my god," the younger exclaimed in exasperation, covering his own ears with his duvet — hey, his fault for throwing his pillow at Yoongi. 
 

He slowly turned to the side table, his eyes still closed, reaching his arm out for the ringing device. After aimlessly tapping on the wooden surface, he finally felt his phone and grasped it. 
 

Opening one eye, he glanced at the caller ID, and realised it was Jimin calling. Scrunching his nose in irritation, he pressed the green answer button and placed the device to his left ear, rolling onto his back as he did so.
 

"Jimin, why the f—" he tried to say.
 

"Finally! Hyung, what took you so long to answer?" The younger asked, practically yelling from the other end. Yoongi winced – why did the male have to be so loud"Hyung? Hey, hyung, are you there? Hello?" The younger's peppy voice chimed in again. 
 

"What is it, Jimin? It's," he removed the phone from his ear and glanced at the time, "ing 5:21am – can this not wait until our practice?" He asked with a groan. God, his throat felt so dry. He should probably drink some water before returning to sleep—
 

"Don't tell me you forgot already, hyung," Jimin whinged, he could practically see the younger's pout. His brows furrowed again in confusion. "You promised you'd join me for morning runs every week, remember?" 
 

"Yes, I remember," he said. That's a lie, he'd actually forgotten, "but I didn't think it meant going this early. -I'm sorry to say this but, I'm not really a morning person, kid, so I don't think I'll be joining you." He stated.
 

"No ." He heard his flatmate scoff, who was now slightly more awake by now – his head leaning on his left palm as he faced Yoongi. He glared at the youngerㅡwell, tried to anyway. He was still only half awake. 
 

"I'm not a kid," again, he knew the other was pouting. He rolled his eyes, "and you agreed to join me last Friday—I even promised to buy you coffee, come on, hyung! Please?" 
 

He considered his options; go to the morning run with Jimin or go back to sleep. Sleep sounded really tempting, and he needed more sleep anyway. He'd returned home just four hours ago, from working on his compositions last night after classes. 
 

"Look, you can try it today and see how it goes, then if you didn't enjoy it at the end of it, I won't call you to join me again," the younger tried to reason, but he didn't understand why he was so persistent. It was just a morning run, which he could easily do on his own. 
 

Did having company make the time more enjoyable? He didn't know. Maybe he could find out if he went with Jimin today. 
 

Should he though? – But, he had kind of promised the younger; he'd only feel guilty if he didn't keep it when he'd meet the younger male later today. He sighed, staring at the ceiling.
 

"Okay, fine, I'll goㅡbut," he quickly added, "if I don't enjoy it, you will not try and change my decision, no matter what, got it?" He remarked. He really hoped this was going to be worth it.
 

"Yay! Thank you thank you thank you, hyung! And I promise - no trying to change your mind," the excitement oozing from the other's voice caused a smile to creep on his face. He released a breath of laughter and shook his head in disbelief. 
 

He couldn't comprehend how the silver haired male could be so cheerful, and that too for such a small matter. It never failed to amaze him; probably never will. 
 

"I'll be waiting at the park near the university, then! See you then, hyung," and the phone was disconnected immediately after. Yoongi removed his phone from his ear and placed it facing down on the table, before removing the bed covers off himself. 
 

"So," Hoseok was now fully awake, although he was still laying on his side, "why exactly did Jimin call you so early? Aren't your practices in the evening?" His expression was enough to give him away – he was annoyed. The blonde may be smiling, but Yoongi could sense the irritation. 
 

"Yeah, I actually let the kid convince me that it would be a good idea to join him on morning runs every week, so," he shrugged, before walking to the bathroom. 
 

He felt like the blonde allowed paranoia to overcome him too easily. Anyway, it's not like he was going to make this a daily thing – they were just partners until the competition ended. That's all. 
 

"Oh, I see," he heard the younger mumble before he had closed the door behind him. He was upset, he could tell. But, really, Hoseok was getting worried over nothing. He wasn't an . He would never interfere with his best friend's relationships. 
 

He never had, never will.


♪ ♪ ♪

 

"Hyung! Over here!" He looked across from him and spotted Jimin, whose grin he could see from the other side of the road. The younger was sporting a loose fitted white t-shirt and pair of grey jogging bottoms, accompanied with white Reebok trainers.

 

He was wearing similar attire, but he had a black t-shirt instead of white, and his trainers were Nike.

 

Yoongi jogged across the road to reach Jimin.

 

"You're here! I'm glad you agreed to join me today, Yoongi hyung," he beamed.

 

"Only today, remember that," he warned the other, sliding his hands in his pockets.

 

"Yes yes, just today, unless," he chimed in a suggestive tone, "you actually enjoy doing this with me today." A wide smile graced his tanned face. He could see it almost glowing, as he noticed the sun had risen slightly. "What is it? Is there something on my face?" Jimin asked, hands on his face, snapping him out of his reverie.

 

"Huh?" He asked, "Oh, no—no, there's nothing." He dismissed quickly and looked down, his face burning because had he been staring? Oh god.

 

"Oh, okay," Jimin said, still smiling. "Anyway, should we get going?" He asked, causing Yoongi to look up at the younger. He shrugged.

 

"Sure. I mean, that is what we're here for in the first place, aren't we?" He huffed.

 

Let's just this over and done with, he thought to himself. He doubted he'd be doing this again. Exercise wasn't really his "thing".

 

"Yes it is," Jimin chuckled, but then, there was this mischievous glint in his eyes that made Yoongi suspicious.

 

"Jimin, what—"

 

"Race you!" With a flash, the younger male had managed to whiz past, sprinting ahead of him. Yoongi blinked, trying to process what happened.

 

Finally realising that Jimin had challenged him (really, it should've been obvious), he starting rushing towards the direction the younger had run.

 

"Hey, Park Jimin, get back here! That's cheating!" He called out, sprinting after the other, growing irritated by the second.

 

That kid had some nerve. He thought, the corner of his lips lifting up unknowingly.

 

He started to run faster, trying to catch up to Jimin. But damn, the kid could run fast, he had to give him that.

 

He – was faster however.

 

With a full smirk on his face, he leaned his upper body more forward as he ran.

 

Soon, he was mere meters away from the silver haired male.

 

♪ ♪ ♪

 

Yoongi huffed as he reached Jimin. He had been really close, but the younger had won. If it hadn't been for Jimin's sudden declaration, he may just have won, though.

 

His hands on his knees, he waited until his breathing return to normal and looked up.

 

"You cheated," he said, in between breaths. The younger laughter was breathy, as he too, panted from the running.

 

"I didn't expect you to be so fast," Jimin replied, still grinning widely as his chest rose and fell from panting.

 

"It's nothing, really," he shrugged nonchalantly. The younger only rolled his eyes at this. Huffing out one last tired breath, he stood upright and smirked. "So, are you going to treat me to coffee or what?" He asked. After all, that's what he was really here for.

 

"Of course, let's go," the younger answered, and started walking forward. Yoongi followed after.

 

When they reached their destination, Yoongi seated himself at his usual place, by the window.

 

"Yoongi," he heard a familiar voice call him and turned, "what are you doing so early in the morning?" The pink haired male asked, surprised.

 

"Actually, I came here with Jimin," he stated, scratching the back of his head, "I joined him for a morning run." He didn't know what the older would think, because he knew that Yoongi wasn't a morning person, too.

 

"Wow, I'm actually impressed. I really need to meet Jimin and personally thank him," the older male remarked with a chuckle. Yoongi only rolled his eyes at that.

 

"It's just a one time thing, don't get too happy," he interjected. "And you're talking like that kid got me to climb a mountain or something, it's just a morning run—"

 

"Which you never joined me for," Jin interrupted, a smirk creeping on face, "I asked you hundred of times but you never accepted my offers." He snorted, causing Yoongi to roll his eyes again.

 

"That's because I experience second hand embarrassment with you," he remarked. And it was true. If you saw him run, you'd feel the same, believe him.

 

"Excuse me," the older of the two exclaimed in feint shock. His expression then changed to one that made him feel rather uncomfortable. "Seriously though, what's the true reason that agreed?" Wiggling his eyebrows suggestively, he knew what the older male was trying say. And that was not it.

 

"Hyung, I know what you're thinking, but it's definitely not that," he tried to deny. First Hoseok, and now Seokjin. Honestly, he couldn't understand what was going on inside their minds to even think of such possibilities.

 

"Okay, okay, I got it, my bad," Jin said, holding his hands up in surrender, "but I can't deny the fact that Jimin managed to get you to exercise when I, or even Jungkook could – and you know how much he wanted you to join him at the gym." He remarked in a matter of fact tone.

 

"Jin, it's really nothing, plus he's—"

 

"Here's your Americano, hyung!" He turned his attention to the beaming silver haired male and accepted the coffee cup, mumbling a "thanks" in return.

 

"You must be Jimin! Hi, I'm Seokjin, Kim Seokjin, but you can call me Jin. I'm one of Yoongi's close friends, nice to meet you," he held out a hand to the younger, who accepted happily.

 

"Nice to meet you too, hyung!" Jimin smiled brightly, sitting down next to the older. "I thought hyung only had Hoseok hyung as a close friend – he never really answers my questions." The younger sighed, his lower lip jutting out.

 

"Yeah, he's always been like that, don't worry about it too much," the pink haired male assured, resulting in the ravenette to roll his eyes yet again that hour at Jin's words. "But," oh my god, he thought, and covered his face with his hand. "I need to know – how did you manage to get this grandpa to agree to going on a morning run with you?" He asked, leaning towards the younger slightly. He sneaked a glance at Jimin, who glanced at him, an awkward smile planted on his face.

 

"Oh, um, well, I didn't really," the younger stumbled over his words, rubbing the nape of his neck, "Yoongi hyung only agreed because I offered to buy him coffee. Oh, and, this is just a one time thing, unless he changes his mind..."

 

"What do you mean?" The older asked, and god, he wished he would just leave already.

 

"Well, I suggested that he would try it just once today, but if he actually does enjoy doing this, then he might accompany me every week," the younger explained.

 

Then, Jin turned to him and he knew – yes, he knew exactly what the older male was about to do.

 

"So, Yoongi, did you have fun today? I mean, with your morning run, that is." He glared at the older's emphasis on "morning run".

 

"Well, I was. Until you decided to join us," he shot back, and immediately regretted it.

 

He had just dug his own grave.

 

What was he thinking, honestly?

 

"Oh, is that so?" Jin asked, a smug grin glued to his face, and boy, how much he wanted to wipe that right off his face, you had no idea. "Well then, I'll leave you two alone. I should get back to work anyway, so – I'll see you around, Jimin. Bye!" He stood up (finally), and went behind the cash counter, where Jungkook was waiting for him, arms crossed. He chuckled as he watched the younger, who appeared to be reprimanding the other. Jin only ruffled the younger's hair before disappearing to the back room, which made Yoongi smile at them.

 

He turned back to their table then, only to find Jimin looking at him.

 

"W-What?" Wow, did he just stutter?

 

"You should smile like that more often, hyung. I like it when you smile," the younger said, grinning brightly.

 

"You do?" He asked with a smile, to which Jimin only nodded enthusiastically at. "Well, then I'll do it more often."

 

"You will?" Jimin asked, looking hopeful. He chuckled, before putting on a straight face.

 

"Yeah, no." Yoongi replied, shaking his head. This caused Jimin to pout (he wished the younger would stop, really), looking down at his drink.

 

Yoongi only looked at the other, amused yet confused.

 

Maybe today wasn't so bad, after all.