Terrible.

Beautiful Goodbye

Key’s P.O.V

 

I glared at Amber as we were walking home from school. I wasn’t really mad – Just hoping that I’m back on her good side.

 

“Happy now that I fell face first in front of most of the school?”

 

She ruffled my hair and giggled.

 

“Mhmm. Especially since you nearly flew across the oval.”

 

I suddenly sneezed and then shivered. I pulled out a tissue and patted the front of my uniform which was still wet from the melted snow. Amber noticed and a frown appeared on her face.

 

“Key… are you ok? You’re not catching a cold are you?” she asked.

 

I sneezed again. I think I was…and I promised to take Nicole shopping tomorrow. Crap. Hopefully I feel good enough tomorrow morning to go with her.

 

I let out a weak laugh.

 

“If wearing damp clothes on a cold winter’s day won’t give you a cold, it would be a miracle.”

 

“Don’t you normally have a spare change of clothes in your locker?” asked Amber.

 

“I didn’t think I would need to this week.”

 

“Genius.”

 

“Yeah… Well we should both quickly head home before you get a cold as well… Hopefully my cold goes away during the weekend… So see you on Monday?”

 

Amber smiled and nodded.

 

“Get well VERY quickly ok? Take care of yourself!” she cried as she began to walk towards the subway.

 

“Alrighty! See you!” I croaked.

 

I quickly rushed home, got out of my soaking uniform into warm, dry clothes. I then made myself a pot of steaming tea and then tucked myself in bed.

 

When I woke up the next morning to my annoyance, my cold had gotten worse. I found my grandmother sitting on the side of my bed and attending to me.

 

“Kibum-ah, how are you feeling?”

 

“Worse,” I coughed.

 

She my hair and smiled.

 

“I’ve bought you medicine and put it on your table. I’ve also made you some food, so eat well, have lots of rest today and recover quickly ok?”

 

I tried give her the biggest smile I could.

 

“Thank you Grandma. I will!”

 

She looked at me lovingly and added, “Don’t hesitate to call me if you need anything else ok?”

 

I nodded.

 

“Quickly eat before everything gets cold!” she said, handing me the container of congee and a spoon.

 

She then left, and I quickly ate the congee she left before leaning over to get my phone. I quickly dialled Nicole’s number, feeling horrible that I had to cancel on her today.

 

“Are you ready for our big day out today?” she said brightly.

 

“Nicole-ah, I’m stuck in bed with a cold today,” I croaked.

 

“OMO! Are you ok?” she asked, with the excitement in her voice obviously gone.

 

“Neh… I just need some good rest today. I’m really sorry. We’ll go out next week?”

 

“Awwww…Yeah… Next week is good. Just get well soon and take care of yourself. Don’t catch another cold again next week!” she joked.

 

I heard the sound of the subway from her side of the call. I looked at my clock. It was only nine-thirty in the morning… She couldn’t have been up this early to wait for me…

 

“Nicole... where are you at the moment?”

 

“I just got off the subway at your station… Did you want me to bring some stuff over and keep you company?”

 

I felt even more guilty. She must have been really excited for today. I sighed.

 

“It’s ok! I doubt that I would be a good host while sleeping all day and I don’t want you to catch my cold!”

 

“Ahh! Fine… I’ll just go find food to eat and see if there’s anything to buy around here then,”

 

“Sorry Nicole. I really am.”

 

She laughed.

 

“Don’t worry about it. We can go out another day and it’s not like you planned to catch this cold! Get well soon then Key! Take care of yourself!”

 

“Thanks! Time to sleep this cold away!”

 

“Mhmm! Get well soon! Bye!”

 

“Bye! Stay safe ok?”

 

“Yes Mum! See you soon Key!” laughed Nicole as she hung up.

 

I sighed. I slid down onto my pillow and closed my eyes. Hopefully I’ll feel better by tomorrow or something.