Chapter 3

Between the Sun and the Moon
Please log in to read the full chapter

            They held true to their word, and by dawn the next day, the group was flying to the Earth. Suho had to admit, he felt slightly worried; while he had visited the… unique Kingdom before, each time it was to the embassies, or another similar, highly secure government location out in the countryside or suburban areas. Yet this time, they would be traversing the crowded city-lands, the epicenter of the riots, to truly uncover and, hopefully, solve the issue. Through Xiumin’s guide, they were able to find the location of one of the primary leaders of the revolts, and they had decided to confront the man. According to one of the few embassies still standing strong, this rebel, along with his followers, were planning to strike later that day, and Suho couldn’t decide if it was good or bad luck—good, because they’d get to face this man soon, but bad, because they’d have to face this man soon.

            ‘Anxious’ couldn’t even begin to explain how he felt.

            To try easing his nerves, he decided to look around the ship. Kris, as always, had his eyebrows furrowed, most likely thinking of multiple plans, interrogation questions, and more for the encounter they were about to have. Suho sighed, and simply hoped that the other king wouldn’t be too harsh once they found who they were looking for. For once, Baekhyun and Chanyeol were serious and focused, and while they were cuddled together, they were mostly quiet, only occasionally muttering to each other in uncharacteristically tense tones— “Make sure to follow the others,” “Don’t fight ‘til ordered to,” “Keep moving even if you can’t see me”. Suho smiled sadly and shook his head, hoping that none of the situations they were imagining would ever occur. He looked over to Tao, who was discussing final particularities with the regiment commander. Offhandedly, Suho wondered if those dark under-eye circles of his would ever lighten. Finally, his eyes landed on Xiumin, who was off to the side where the ship’s communicator was, obviously talking to his lover, Chen. Suho couldn’t help by feel a bit sorry for the latter, an ordinary young man with a partner who was in constant danger.

            “Your Majesty,” His thoughts were interrupted suddenly by the one of the attendants of the ship calling for him. He looked over to the man. “We’ll be arriving shortly.” Suho nodded, and the other scurried off. The others in the room had obviously heard, as they soon were all circled around Suho, ready to discuss their plans. It was Kris who spoke first.

            “We’ll be landing on the outskirts of the city, where multiple horse carriages will be waiting to take us into the city,” the Sun King explained, his voice quiet. “There’s not much we can do in the streets without seeming suspicious, but there’s a financial bureau near the planned area of attack. We can stay there, with the regiment, and once we see commotion rising, the six of us can leave, observe, and take any necessary actions.” The man looked around, silently checking for any opposition.

            “That sounds acceptable,” Suho said in agreement when no one else said anything. It was a solid plan, giving them enough leeway to explore, as well as enough security were things to go awry.

            Oh, how he hoped things wouldn’t go awry.

----------

            Getting to the financial bureau was even easier than they had expected. While they did have to stagger some of the times when their carriages left, since having so many come in at one time would be anything but inconspicuous, their entire group managed to reach the office and regroup at a relatively good time.

            Not a moment too late, Suho mused to himself as he looked down on the streets from one of the windows. He could already see some suspicious figures loitering around the area; it wouldn’t be long before the chaos would begin.

            “Yo, Tao, calm down, would ya?” a voice pulled Suho’s attention back into the room, and he looked over to see Chanyeol, arms crossed over his chest, leaning against the wall, staring down at Tao, posture rigid as he sat on the couch, hands in his lap. The younger returned the gaze with nothing less than a glare.

            “I am perfectly calm, I assure you,” Tao responded, but everyone could hear the tension in his voice.

            “Ooh, I can give you a massage!” Baekhyun piped up suddenly, a playful grin lighting his face up, and before Tao could even try to deny him, the other Guard was behind him, pressing his hands into his shoulders and rubbing roughly.

            “This is u-unnecessary Baekhy—ouch!—I mean—ah!—it… ohh…ngh…” Tao attempted to protest, but his words quickly turned into grunts and whimpers as Baekhyun continued to press.

            “No one can deny Baekhyun’s magic hands!” Chanyeol cheered triumphantly, as though he was the one doing the massaging, and Suho vaguely wondered if he was expected to stop them. Surprisingly, even Kris said nothing, simply staring at the scene, and occasionally glowering at Baekhyun’s hands.

            Wait, what?

            “You know, we really should be focusing…” Suho spoke up without conviction, but no one listened to him, unsurprisingly. Xiumin chuckled and patted his shoulders.

            “I gotta say,” the eldest started, “I’m a bit curious myself about Baek’s ‘magical hands.” Suho grinned.

            “He’s helped me out tons of times when I’d get stressed after meetings and things, and he’s pretty damn good,” Suho said with a hum.

            “Maybe he could even get Kris to loosen up for more than a second,” Xiumin added, smirking as the mentioned male stopped fixating on Tao and Baekhyun and turned to glare at his Head Guard.

            “That won’t be needed,” the Sun King spat out, making Xiumin‘s smile widen.

            “I’m glad I didn’t stay in the Sun Kingdom; then I’d have to be as serious as him,” Chanyeol piped up.

            “Geez, imagine if I’d have started with Kris; I’d be just as gloomy as him and Tao!” Xiumin added in agreement. Out of the two mentioned, the former growled and the latter was still being harassed/massaged by Baekhyun.

            “You… I’m replacing you as soon as we get back,” Kris muttered with a groan, and the others laughed, except Tao, who was still trying to push Baekhyun off him, and Baekhyun himself, who was so focused in his work to pay attention to the surroundings.

            Smirk still high on his face, Xiumin opened his mouth to retort, but the only noise that followed was the sound of a large crash. Everyone froze in their spots, and it was as if time itself had come to a halt. No one said a thing, even their breaths were nearly inaudible. It took a few seconds for them to come out of their state of shock and disbelief, but when they did, their eyes and heads snapped to the windows, the same thought running through their minds.

            It was from outside.

----------

            Looking out at the beginnings of what could be complete burnout, at the trees and lampposts slowly plunging to the ground as they are knocked down, at repressed individuals, some first-timers, some veterans, screaming for their independence and protection desperately, at the mass amounts of signs, spray paint, flags, and more parading the streets, at the pure amount of true freedom surrounding him, the figure couldn’t stop his proud smile. It may not seem like the largest of conquests, it may not make into the history books, it may not even succeed, but it was something. Even if only for a few people, it would be the start of a new mindset, of a new era, of a new life. And here he was, watching over all of it.

            Yes, he was proud.

            “Don’t space out now,” a woman beside him snapped him out of his thoughts, and he looked to her. She spoke in a language far from the soft tones of Exolian, but for them, it was more than familiar—it was homely. “It’s not long before the cops get here. Do you remember the drill?” The man wants to roll his eyes. Of course he remembers. It’s the same each time.

            “Get disguised, get out there for motivation, and cause as much chaos as possible ‘til authorities get here, in which case, get out and let you guys evacuate the people as quickly as possible,” he recites dully.

            “Could do without the attitude, really.” The man rolls his eyes, but his companion continues. “Besides, that wasn’t what I was talking about. I mean, if you were to get caught…” Oh, that. The man purses his lips and looks away, but still nods, albeit it gravely.

            “You don’t need to remind me, I know,” he forces out. “If I get caught, take no one with me, get rid of any means of communication before they can see, never take off the mask ‘til they break it off me, and say absolutely nothing unless spoken to.” He pauses, before looking back at the female. “It’s the same for you guys, too, you know.” The woman nodded, but said nothing else. He sigh

Please log in to read the full chapter