Chapter 12

Between the Sun and the Moon
Please log in to read the full chapter

            The emotions shrouding Suho’s thought were a mix of exhaustion, anxiety, doubt, and something else he couldn’t exactly place as he began his chants. Would all this really work? Even the Upper Council, powerful magic wielders, alive for centuries upon centuries, and the direct children of the Gods (besides Hankyung), struggled with breaching the entrance between the mortal world and the Holy Realm. Yet here they were, Kris and Suho, attempting to do it on their own, with no experience in such high level magic, or in any godly affairs even. The Upper Council members had placed their hopes in them though and were confident in their abilities, so Suho supposed he simply had to just try and try again, until they succeeded.

            Out of the corner of his eye, Suho noticed Lay now coming closer to them, now zeroing in his focus on one of the pillars. Neither Suho nor Kris had said anything about the boy’s wandering, as they wanted to keep their focus narrow and solely on the task at hand, but now, the Moon King couldn’t help but wonder what the man was doing. It appeared as though he had just noticed the engravings on the pillar, judging by the way he was squinting and stepping closer, and closer, and closer, until finally, he was right by the structure, head tilted slightly downwards to examine a nearby engraving, and his hand ever-so-lightly placing itself on the side of the pillar—

            “Ah!” Someone screamed—perhaps it was Suho himself—as the world vision went white, a pure light flooding everything in the room suddenly. Yet the light was not blinding, not harsh or painful. It was… soothing, but not in a way to lull one into sleep. No, this light was more awake, as though gently stirring one to rise and face the world for yet another day.

            Suho hadn’t realized he had closed his eyes until they were fluttering open, as he felt something soft press against his cheek, cupping it gently, yet firmly, as though reassuring, while supporting. As light filled his eyes and his world came into focus, the Moon King realized he was face-to-face with a beautiful woman, cupping both his and Kris’s cheek with each of her hands and smiling down at the both of them as they kneeled and she stood. This woman… although Suho had never seen her before, as far as he can remember, there was something drawing him to her, as though his mind, body, and soul recognized her, wanted to lean into her comforting touch. Even if he had never spoken with this woman before, he knew instantly who this was.

            “It is You…” he murmured, slightly dazed, surprised, and content all at the same time.

            “…dear Goddess,” Kris continued for him, his voice sounding just as soft as Suho’s, surprisingly enough. The woman’s smile grew, as she let her hands lightly each boy’s cheek.

            “The happiness I feel to see you two can compare to none other,” BoA spoke, her voice lilting and joyful. “Had I not seen you both when you were but babes, this would be our first encounter. But I know that from the days of your birth, you have grown into powerful ones.” She leaned back, bringing her arms down, and Suho and Kris instinctively bowed their heads in respect, drawing out the laughter from the goddess. “Oh, why do you bow, dear children? You need not act so withdrawn from me, who you may call family.”

            “They’ve grown to be respectful, be happy of that,” a male voice pitched in from the side, and Suho and Kris raised their heads to see a smiling, young-looking man. “Why, I’d like nothing more from my direct lineage.”

            “There you go again, Jaejoong,” another male mused as he walked out from behind one of the pillars. “Calling out on ‘lineage’ anytime you get.”

            “Hush, Junsu; I’m proud, that’s all,” Jaejoong retorted, but with all smiles and no malice.

            “If we’re talking lineage, I won’t be left out.” Suho snapped his head to the side to see another man, standing by Kris’s side, resting a hand on the Sun King’s shoulder. “I mean, look at him; if he doesn’t scream leadership and authority, then I don’t know what does.”

            “Is now really the time for that, Yunho?” Yet another male appeared from behind Suho and Kris, his tone chastising.

            “Yoochun’s right, we have more pressing matters,” the fifth and final God said, coming from the side. Suho blanched in shock as he realized that Lay was being pulled along by this one—Changmin. “Like this boy over here.”

            “Stand, you two,” BoA says, and Suho looks back to see the goddess staring down at him and Kris. They comply, standing up, both still slightly in shock; their astonishment, however, couldn’t even come close to Lay’s, who was outright gawking at the situation. Suho couldn’t see the boy’s mouth, but considering how low his chin now seemed to be, he could pretty easily guess that the man’s jaw was wide open in shock.

            “No… no way…” the man stammered out as he looked around.

            “Yes way,” Changmin shot back with a grin, lightly pushing him to stand by Suho as the six formed

Please log in to read the full chapter