Protection

SO LONG

Park Chorong was waiting impatiently in front of her house, frequently looking into her watches.  She was waiting for Sungjae and Bomi to depart to school.  She always be the one who gets ready first, and wait the youngers.

“Nuna!”

Chorong turned around, facing Sungjae who was running toward her.

“Why am I always be the one who waiting?”  Chorong complained.

“I am sorry, Nuna.  I had stomachache this morning.”  Sungjae grinned reacting to the sulky Chorong.

Chorong noticed something wrong with Sungjae’s uniform.  She walked closer to Sungjae, close enough to feel each other breath.  Chorong pulled Sungjae’s tie and tried to fix it.

“I had taught you how to wear tie properly many times, why you keep messing with it?”  Her hands nimbly fixed Sungjae’s tie.

Sungjae was fluttered being only an inch away to Chorong’s face.  He looked away, dare not to look at her.  Just right after she finished with Sungjae’s tie, Bomi ran hastily toward them.

“Yaaaaaahh!!!  Yoon Bomi, what were you doing?  It took forever to wait for you.”  Chorong yelled out.

Bomi still tried to catch breath.

“I am sorry, Unnie.  I had sto…”

“Stomachache?  What did you two eat?  What a coincidence for having stomachache together.”  Chorong cutted Bomi’s excuse.

She sighed and approached Bomi.  Bomi flinched away, scared that Chorong might hit her.  She felt Chorong grabbed her shirt, she closed her eyes, ready to get hit, but soon she realized that Chorong’s gentle hand was trying to fix her button.

“Why don’t you two come to school ?  You can’t even wear your clothes properly.”  Chorong grumbled while fixing Bomi’s button, which misplaced.

“I wish you will get good mate later, who will take a good care of you.”  Chorong added.

“I am just going to marry you.”  Bomi and Sungjae answered in harmony.

They both faced each other and burst into laughter.

“I don’t want to marry you.”  She finished in fixing Bomi clothes.

“Why?”  They whined, following the older who already walked forward.

“You are noisy and mischievous.”  Chorong stated firmly.

“It’s normal, Nuna.  Teenagers are like that.”  Sungjae rebuted, he linked her arms around Chorong neck.

“Yaaaahhh!!!  You’ll ruin my hair.”  Chorong pushed him away.

“Rong Unnie, Saranghae…”  Bomi hugged Chorong’s waist and dragged her along.

Chorong struggled to let go off, but Sungjae also joined to hug her, caused her to give up, letting her being a mother of koalas who were being so clingy.

 

The bus which headed to their school was quite busy.  Chorong, Bomi, and Sungjae could not get any seat and had to stand up.  They stood by facing each other’s face, balancing their body on moving bus.  The road is bumpy, both Chorong and Bomi stumbled along the journey.  There were more people enter the bus, Chorong and Bomi leaned closer to Sungjae.  He held the hanging bar with her right hand, then spread his left hand to wrap around the elders’ back, pulling them closer to his broad shoulder.  He had grown up into a tall and athletic boy.  He used to be the one who was being protected by the Nunas, but now, he turned to be a strong boy who protected them.

They got off the bus near to their school.  They walked along happily, just like any other days.

“Wow!!!  It is Goddess Son Naeun…”  Sungjae had his jaw dropped.

He saw a tall girl in ant-waist was walking alone toward the school gate.

“Why?”  Chorong grinned.

“The guys in my class are crazy about her.”  Sungjae replied excitedly.

“No wonder.  She is beautiful and clever.”  Bomi responded.

“She is in the same class with you, isn’t she?”  Bomi continued, facing Chorong.

“Ne, we are quite close.”  Chorong said.

“But she always been in number two—after me.  Guess I am better than her.”  Chorong added, acting proudly.

“Heol!  It is because the entire school does not know your messy bare-face after wake up, and you sleep with your mouth open, occasionally snore, and droll.”  Sungjae sneered, followed by a loud laughter by Bomi.

“You two…”  Chorong smacked their back, caused them to scream out in pain.

Chorong lightly hopped toward Naeun, and gave a little surprised by hug her from the back.

“Unnie…”  Naeun said after sent her shock away.

“Ready for the test today?”  Chorong spoke brightly.

“Ne, I’ll beat you this time.”  Naeun replied confidently.

Chorong just chuckling away seeing Naeun confidence.  Naeun is clever, clever enough to skip many level forward at such a young age, but she is a bit clumsy, slow, and dismissive, which caused her could not beat the first place, Park Chorong, in term of academic and popularity.

“Try to beat me, then…”  Chorong jokingly teased Naeun.

They arrived at their own class, then someone called Chorong.

“Park Chorong!  Someone want to meet you…”  Jinyoung, Chorong’s classmate shouted from the doorway.

Chorong got up and walked outside.  She saw a tall slim boy standing outside, wearing the uniform messily.

“Are you looking for me?”  Chorong was hesitated to ask.

“Ne, I have something to tell you.  Can you follow me?”  The boy said arrogantly.

Chorong was about to refuse, but she wondered if it would be something important, then she decided to follow him behind to the rooftop.

“What are you going to say?”  Chorong asked politely.  They had just arrived at rooftop.

“I like you.  Do you want to be my girlfriend?”  The boy said blatantly.

Chorong was startled.  She did not even know him, and he confessed to her.

“Emmmm—Sorry, but this is the first time I see you.”  Chorong replied carefully.

“You’ll see me often if we are dating.”  He said arrogantly.

Chorong found out that he was so annoying.  He looks like a troublemaker and has no manner.

“Thank you for your confession, but I cannot be your girlfriend.  I don’t even know your name.”  Chorong stated firmly.

The boy looked disappointed and upset.

“Are you getting enough of dozens ?  Are you getting bored ?”  The boy blurted out.

Chorong stared at him angrily.  She knew that he does not look like a good boy, but she did not expect to get harsh word from him.

“If you have nothing to say, I’ll leave.”  Chorong looked away, about to leave him.

“Don’t keep too much prestige!  You have so many boys around you, but you have not dated even one of them?  Do you only want to their ?  Come on, Park Chorong.  I am gentler than my looks.”  The boy kept talking.

Chorong clenched her fists, trying hard to control her emotion.  She used to this thing many times.  It just a word from frustrated jerk.

“Hey!  Whoever you are!  I don’t date ugly boy, especially someone with a bad mouth like you!  And you…  I am not interested in your small !  you!”  Chorong said sharply, then left the boy dumbfounded after lifted her middle finger up.

Chorong headed back to her class while grumbling away.  She had her day ruined because of that boy.  She entered her class in gloomy face.

“Unnie, you look so upset.  Anything happen?”  Naeun asked worriedly.

Chorong looked at Naeun then told her everything.

“Daebak!  Who was the boy?”  Naeun be wildered after listening Chorong’s story.

“I don’t even know him—and he dare to say such damn bad word to me!”  Chorong raged.

“He just stupid jerk, Unnie.  Don’t think about it.  It is wasting your time.”  Naeun tried to console Chorong.

 

Sungjae was walking with his classmates, heading to school cafeteria.  He stopped as he watched a commotion from a far.  He walked closer and saw Bomi was having a fight with a guy.  She was in mess.  She got some wounds and ripped her uniform in some parts.

“Bomi Nuna!”  Sungjae rushed toward Bomi who was catching her breath.  Her eyes staring at the guy in anger.

“What are you doing, Nuna?”  Sungjae asked worriedly.

The other students only watched the scene without trying to arbitrate them.

“He said bad things about Chorong unnie.”  Bomi said in the middle of her panting.

Sungjae looked up, facing the guy who was in worse condition than Bomi.  He acknowledged that Bomi is not an easy opponent.  She has power as big as a man.

“I am saying a fact, Park Chorong is !  You !”  The boy mocked out.

Sungjae stood up, approached him, and gave him a punch.

 

It was the lunch time.  Chorong and Naeun had already finished their lunch at the back yard.  They were walking toward her class when they saw a commotion near to hand washing facilities.  They rushed there, agape in shock after seeing the scene.

“BBOM-AH!!!  SUNGJAE-YAA!!!  Stop you two!”  Chorong shouted, approaching Bomi and Sungjae who were hitting a guy.

Chorong asked the other student to help her, arbitrating the fighters.  Bomi and Sungjae still trying to hit the boy, but they were being dragged further.

“What did you do?!”  Chorong snapped.  She stood akimbo staring at the youngers, who sitting forward while compressing their bruises.

Naeun helped them to treat the wounds.

“This is your first year here, Yook Sungjae—and you already caused a trouble!  And you, Yoon Bomi!  Couldn’t you try to control your temper?!”  Chorong continued to scold them.

“But he said bad things about you…”  Bomi looked down.

Chorong blew out the air heavily.

“What did he say?  Is everything he said a fact about me?”  Chorong lifted up Bomi’s chin, directing into her eyes.

Bomi shook her head.

“Then why did you have to be affected by stupid word?  I used to hear many bad things, they are just frustrated because I ignore them.  I am fine with those things, Bbom-ah…  Sungjae-yaaa…”  Chorong seemed a little calm down.

“Don’t let your hands dirty because of such trash!  Don’t listen bad thing, I am not that kind of girl, and you should not be affected by people’s talk.”  Chorong kneeled down, facing both Bomi and Chorong in turn.

“Promise me, you will not hit people again.  Don’t hurt yourself.”  Chorong added.

Both Bomi and Sungjae nodded after hearing soothing talk from Chorong.  Naeun saw the scene wordlessly, smiling to the caring and lovable moment.

“Go to principle office, now.  Take responsibility of your wrong doing.  Behave!  Don’t make another trouble.”  Chorong stated firmly before leaving them.

“Ne…”  Bomi and Sungjae answered simultaneously.

“I’ll back to my class.  Tell me if anything happened.  See you.  Saranghae…”  Chorong stoked their cheeks, then headed back to her class with Naeun.

“You are really sweet to them, Unnie…  I know you are scary sometimes, but you really care about them so much.”  Naeun said bluntly on the way to class.

“We have known since little.  They are so mischievous, but precious to me.”  Chorong replied brightly.

“They were just trying to protect you.”  Naeun uttered.

Chorong paused for a while, reminiscing about the scene.

“I know it.  But they should not risk themselves.”  Chorong replied, linking her arm to Naeun and dragged her to the class in rush as the bell was about to ring.

 

Bomi and Sungjae still staring blankly at the same spot where they were being scolded by Chorong.

“I should rip his mouth!”  Bomi said angrily.

“And I should kick his ball hardly, so he won’t taste the joy of having a anymore.”  Sungjae added.

They faced each other, then burst into laughter.

“Ouch…  It’s hurt.”

They both held the pain of the bruises and wounds all over their bodies.

“Don’t make me laugh, you stupid!”  Bomi snapped.

“You start first!”  Sungjae rebutted.

“And your face is really ugly!”  He added.

“Your lips gotten thicker!”  Bomi sneered.

They ended up laughing out loud while holding the pain, then headed to principle room to get the punishment.