Not Alone

Where Heroes don't always win

'Why did you leave?' Jessica huffed out the minute I stepped into the Choir room, unmistakable anger underlying her stance.

But my fogged up mind was unable to comprehend the chatters around me with my brain having turned into mush since the end of detention. Being too hung up on the issue- if it is even considered one, with Hwang and her nonexistent bruise, I tried coming up with logical explanations to this phenomenon.

Did I hit her too softly?

Did she apply makeup?

Or is it something else?

The makeup theory was the most logical, since by the end of the day Hwang is a girl. Whether she's a rebel or not, she has her ily dangerous image to keep. Walking around with a bruise on her face, was not acceptable to someone who invests so much care into their appearance.

Coming to this conclusion, I decided to let the matter go, choosing instead to shut Sica up by giving her the information that she has been bugging me for since lunch. Recounting the story of how I became friends with Hyung Don but leaving out the 'adventures' that I had went on since this morning as I did not want to deal with a ranting Sica, going on about how Hwang was not as bad as she seemed. She visibly calmed down after satisfying her curiousity, but not without physically tormenting me with her whacks first. With Hellsica officially off my case, I warmed up my vocal chords to start my practice.   

X

So what was I doing here, stealthily entering the house- not Hwang's house, I am not as crazy as a sasaeng, my house. I scanned the whole place more than twice to ensure that everyone, including Jiwoong and Hayeon were not at home at the moment before rushing up to my bedroom.

While digging around for my spells book, I passed by the dreaded window. Looking out, Hwang's bedroom was clearly visible to me, or at least her curtains. Unable to determine what she was up to, the need to find my spell book became even more apparent so as to finally put an end to the mystery of Hwang and her 'bruise'. I finally spotted said book lying underneath my PS4 system, supporting the unbalanced device. After pulling it out, I hurriedly flipped to the page on Astral Projection.

Sandalwood

Mugwort

Cinnamon

Use in equal parts

After successfully gathering the necessary ingredients from my mom's bedroom, I sprinkled those in a circle around my bed before settling down to prepare for the spell.

So you may ask, why is the seemingly normal Kim Taeyeon, suddenly sitting on her bed doing witchhcraft? Well, fear not. I am not some wannabe witch learning spells off the internet.

My family, having descended directly from a line of witches, automatically means I would also possess magic in my blood. The coolest kind of supernatural beings to ever exist vampires and werewolves are so overrated. We could literally do anything you can imagine as long as we have the required materials, magic reserves and proper knowledge. So the spell that I was about to cast is legitimate, following the steps on the official spellbook for trainees®. Yet, Mom had long since established the rule of 'NO MAGIC OUTSIDE PRACTISE WITHOUT REASON', as she wanted her children to grow up not to be overly dependant on magic so as to not get discovered by humans. And it was the only reason why I had tolerated Hwang's constant bullying for so long. For the safety of my people, I would endure those stupid pranks and carry on with school normally.

But rules were made to be broken, and in this case I was actually using magic for a very important reason- to get to the bottom of this mystery. I sound like I was making a mountain out of a mole hill just like in those ABC Family dramas, but this was crucial. For my whole life since I met Hwang, she had not displayed any non-human abilities, other than her insane talent to make me be both afraid and angry at her.

Lying down on my bed in utmost concentration, I tried to project my conscious awareness outside of my physical body. However, every slight sound would cause me to jerk awake, disrupting my focus. And I would try to listen for any signs as to whether or not any of my family members were already home. This situation was as delicate as commiting a crime, and it required me to be on the tips of my toes so as to be ready to abort the mission whenever anyone comes back. 

The image of Hwang's smug grins after her countless pranks on me, and her terrorizing ways towards the weak members of the student body flooded my memory. These helped pushed away all ounces of doubt I had on what I was about to do as I felt that this would finally allow me an edge over Hwang. 

in a deep breath, I closed my eyes and willed my magic to do its work.

X

Fluttering my eyes open, I tried reorienting myself in my astral form. As my sight cleared, I found myself in a bedroom that I haven't been to in ages. The bright pink wallpaper that I remembered from countless hours of my childhood spent here had been toned down to a dull grey colour to achieve a modern look, but the numerous bright pink items strewn all over the room still scream 'Hwang Tiffany'.

Shaking my head at the sight of her pink sheets, my attention dropped to the totoro propped carefully up the headboard. Totoro still looked the same as always, with the sew lines along its belly being practically nonexistent due to Mrs Hwang's intricate crafts skills. The familiar broad smile that was permanently etched on the soft toy caused a smile to unconsiously slipped onto my face too as I remembered my dookong lying on my own bed back home.

Recollection of how I used to run around these halls while playing with Hwang flashed across my mind and our bubbly laughter that accompanied those times resonated with me. Those sounds paled in contrast with the silence that hovered over the house. The thick overbearing weight of the absolute quiet placed me on the edge, as the void of sound was so foreign to my ears for this was the Hwangs' residence, where silence was not welcomed.

What happened here...

This thought accompanied me as I floated around the house, trying to track down the location of any of its inhabitants. The sound of a door opening behind me, forced me to turn around.

I felt my throat run dry at the sight before me. With only a flimsy towel to wrap around her assets, not much was left to my imagination as Hwang was basically in front of me. Droplets of water dripping down her still wet hair onto her milky white skin, especially those lucky beads of insignificant H2O that got to run its course down Hwang's valley deep into her towel.

As my byuntae thoughts start to register itself in the logical part of my brain, I could feel the room suddenly becoming hotter due to my embarrassment. And I was pretty sure my face would be red and sweaty if I had actual blood running through my body in my astral form. Swallowing back a thick lump in my throat, I ducked my head down so as to stop my eyes from continuing its ogling of this open display of smooth flawless skin.

Pretty sure I would regret it later 

'.' I cursed under my breath when I realised the indecent, bordering on ographic thoughts of my enemy running rampant in my mind. I felt like a hormonal teenage boy who could not control his emotions upon his first entry into a site.

My mind was brought back to the present when I found out that in my erse fantasies starring my bully in the lead role, I had followed said lead back to her room. The mushroom opened up her closet, and started browsing through her selection of clothes. The lack of my reflection on her closet door mirror reminded me of the mission at hand.

Having just taken a shower, make up or anything disguising her bruise as her skin would be washed away, leaving her bare faced- and showing what should be there. I held my breath as Hwang suddenly stood back up to stare at the mirror clutching her outfit in her hands.

The Tiffany Hwang staring straight into my eyes through the mirror confirmed my suspicions. Her face was the same as always, with her almond shaped eyes, high cheekbones and beads of water rolling down her temple along her unblemished cheeks. My mind tried to wrap itself around the fact that Hwang was virtually unharmed after being punched in the face by your truly, whom was fueled by bottled up rage and all other negative feelings. Drowning in my thoughts, I failed to notice the fleeting hooded gaze that the scantily clad woman had sent me through her reflection.

Alarm bells started blaring in my head once I saw Hwang bring her hand towards the edge of her towel, preparing to step out into her birthday suit. The panic I was feeling manifested through the amount of ''s that I was shooting out of my mouth.

'Gasp!' 

Taking in air as quickly as my lungs would allow, I found myself drenched in sweat as I looked up to see the familiar sight of glow in the dark stickers on my star ceiling. With me safely back in my own bedroom, what I had just saw in the Hwang's residence continued to plague my mind.

What the hell are you?

But in some deep dark part of my mind that I would only visit at night, I knew what scared me the most was not the newly discovered information that there was more to Hwang than I originally thought. Instead it was the fact that my heart continued to hammer itself rapidly into my chest from the thoughts of what Hwang might look like without the towel.

I need to watch some . 

Now a few weeks later, life had once again started to regain some semblance of normality. Not before I had to suffer through weeks worth of sleepless nights with bruises, velvet skin and smouldering brown eyes plaguing my sleep. I became even more alert towards Hwang, tuning my shroom-dar up to hypersensitive levels. Everytime Hwang would even be within a 1 mile radius from me, I jump straight into the nearest available hiding spot. And then, try to observe if there was anything out of sorts with her.

Even with me observing her brown pink head constantly, I was still caught in her numerous pranks. Having to arrive to class thrice in the past weeks with wet pants, dealing with spitballs found dried up in every single one of my belongings and the usual stinking locker.

However, Hyung Don's positive presence brightened up my school life. Having never clicked so well with someone, I found myself talking about almost everything with my new found friend- minus the witchy part. We spent almost every waking moment together either chatting in real life or on Kakaotalk. 

Witnessing for himself that Hwang was in fact a real life bully, having seen how she walked up towards my junior from Choir during lunch one day and slammed her food tray into the unsuspecting girl's face. The poor girl not only found her face dripping with spaghetti sauce put also blood that started pouring out from her broken nose. 

As Hyung Don and I plot ways in which to put Hwang into her place- which would never come into fruition since I was too chicken for that, I had found myself dealing with Hwang's constant bullying better. 

After wrapping up my Class representitive chores and planning out the Class's role for the approaching Prom night, I dragged my tired home, ready to dip myself back onto my comfortable bed and just watch the new drama episode airing today. Nonetheless, I should have known that trouble was brewing due to the bad vibes I had been getting since the morning. With me not seeing Hwang for an entire day, not even once. That was the number one sign for bad luck even worse than what Hwang does to me in school.

Being too drained out to apparate back- another exception I made for using magic outside the rules, I decided to take my usual route home. Passing by the usual trees and lampposts, the darkening sky was casting ominous shadows around me. And by the time I realised what was actually happening, my surroundings have already changed into that of a poorly lit alleyway that reeked of age old garbage, and I have no clue as to where I currently was.

True to my name, I had kept my calm demeanor even in this situation and started darting my eyes around trying to discern my surroundings or even find the perpetrator responsible for kidnapping me here.

This is definitely the work of a witch.

At that moment, I saw the most terrifying pair of eyes I had ever seen in my entire horror movie marathon career, causing me to stumble back in shock.

A pair of murky green eyes literally glowed, hidden behind the cover of shadows, and I knew at that moment that I was royally ed.



????  

I know no one actually reads this but I just got to say, it may seem sudden that there is a supernatural element in this show, but if you actually noticed I have been dropping hints of Taeyeon's witchyness-is this even a word, since the first chapter. So, yay that this has finally been revealed. Now is time for the actual plot since the building up took this long. Hope anyone of who guys who subscribed would continue to wait for the next chapter. Please feel free to comment or even give me feedback on my writing as I don't feel really confident with my style having written for the first time. I may be new at writing but I don't bite. Until next time!😁 Wow I wrote a lot of bull in this