BABYSITTING

THE FIVE ROYAL CANDIDATES

 

 
(DISCLAIMER: A MUST READ! THE FOLLOWING COUNTRIES THAT ARE GOING TO BE MENTIONED AS THE PARK DYNASTY’S SOVEREIGN TERRITORIES WERE NOT ACTUALLY CONQUERED IN REAL LIFE. IT’S JUST MEANT TO SET THE SETTINGS OF THE STORY REALISTIC. I HOPE NO ONE GETS OFFENDED BY IT AND HERE IT GOES). 
 
 
 
DARA’S P.O.V 
 
 
 
I sighed to myself and looked at my iPad for schedule updates from my secretary. Fortunately, the remainder of my schedules were some trainings and I had to cancel it because I’m babysitting. 
 
 
 
“I cannot believe that I, the empress, is babysitting you.” I was amused at how calm he could be when sleeping. 
 
 
 
I looked down the device when it glowed and I immediately unlocked it. There was a notification and I immediately touched it for updates. I sighed to myself and I knew that I had to do work while babysitting this man. 
 
 
 
“Attendant Lee?” I whispered and she immediately walked towards me.
 
 
 
“Yes, your majesty?” I smiled at her. She’s one of the attendants assisting the candidates and she is in charge of Dong Youngbae’s welfare. 
 
 
 
“Tell the chief secretary to send the files faxed by the sovereign territories. Tell him that I’ll be spending the night here until he wakes up.” I ordered and I knew that she will object with my command. “It’s a royal command.” 
 
 
 
I don’t blame the palace servants for acting this way towards me; it’s their job to do all the chores and commands of the royal family and I commend them for their hard work, but sometimes they go overboard. It’s fine with me if they do all the things I need but they treat me as a little child instead of an empress sometimes because they think I’m incapable of doing unconventional things such as babysitting for someone in need. They do the same for me so why can’t I do the same with a citizen of my empire? 
 
 
 
“Your Majesty?” I looked up and didn’t notice that my royal secretary, Yang Goon, was already standing beside me while holding a box of files. 
 
 
 
“Good grief!” I whispered to him and he nodded at me. “These were just sent an hour ago and you’re already holding a box full of files?” 
 
 
 
“Ma’am,” the epithet they normally use as a replacement for Your Majesty, “these were all the files sent by our sovereign territories.” 
 
 
 
“You’re kidding right? Don’t tell me that this time around, Vietnam, Philippines, Samoa, Taiwan, and Laos all faxed their economic reports at the same time.” 
 
 
 
“I cannot tell you otherwise.” I sighed and finally nodded at him. 
 
 
 
“Leave it here and I’ll review it.” 
 
 
 
“Your majesty, I must also stay beside you because I am your royal secretary.” I sighed because I knew where this is going. “As your royal secretary―” I cut him off. 
 
 
 
“You are supposed to be next to the empress to jot down questions, opinions, and anomalies I attain upon reading the reports.” I sighed. “I know the rules.” he smiled. “Just pull out a chair and let’s get this started.” I said to him as we sat to adjacent to each other in front of a circular table, big enough for us to put the files on. 
 
 
 
***
 
 
 
“Make sure to ask the Philippine’s prime minister about the budget cuts. Also, ask him about the literacy rates this year; I need to know if it’s on its peak or the other way around.” I reminded him as he typed on his laptop. 
 
 
 
We’re used to working late and it’s normal for us to talk without eye contact and it works because we get our jobs done faster. 
 
 
 
“Mmmm…” I stopped reading when I heard him moan from his slumber. 
 
 
 
“Looks like I’m done babysitting.” I murmured to myself and looked at the secretary and he understood that I want the files organized and out of the room this instant. 
 
 
 
YOUNGBAE’S P.O.V 
 
 
 
“Mmmm….” I moaned to myself as I slowly opened my eyes. As I was opening my eyes, everything became so blurry and my shoulder is killing me. I blinked a couple of times and the next thing I saw was a flash of light on my right eye and onto my left. 
 
 
 
“How is he?” I heard that voice before. 
 
 
 
“His vital signs are fine. He’s moving accordingly and his shoulder is a bit bruised upon impact on the ground but other than that he’s going to be fine, your majesty.” the man that the voice talked to replied. 
 
 
 
“That’s great news. Can he talk or see me?” 
 
 
 
“Let me check.” I moaned a little when I felt his presence getting closer to my right cheek. “Mr. Dong Youngbae?” I moaned again. Why can I only moan? Don’t tell me I’ve become mute! “Are you conscious now? Are you aware of your whereabouts?” 
 
 
 
When he said that, my sight immediately came back to normal. Finally. I saw the high wooden ceiling and the nurses and palace attendants near me. 
 
 
 
“Are you aware that you are in the royal palace’s infirmary?” Wait! What? “Are you aware that you fainted in front of the Empress?” 
 
 
 
1...2...3...!
 
 
 
“WHAT?!” I immediately stood up and faced the doctor. 
 
 
 
“Easy there, tiger.” instead of him answering, the empress answered instead. I gulped. “Are you feeling better now? I was worried you had a heart attack or something.” she smiled. “So I babysat you for a while.” 
 
 
 
Oh my gosh! I made the Empress babysit me. 
 
 
 
“You should rest for a while.” the doctor finally spoke and helped me lay down. “Until then, you will be here in the infirmary for a while.” 
 
 
 
“Leave us alone.” she spoke, and almost immediately everyone went out, leaving us alone in the room. I sighed. 
 
 
 
“Your Majesty.” I could feel my lips getting dry so I had to it for moisture. 
 
 
 
“You’re going to be here for a while and that means that we will be spending sometime together; giving us enough time to one another.” I finally remembered the reason why I passed out in the first place. 
 
 
 
“I’m one of the candidates, huh?” I had to ask the obvious. 
 
 
 
“Yes. You will be trained soon with the rest but for the time being you must rest and get your energy back. As for me, I still have work to do and I will be back tomorrow to check on you.” 
 
 
 
“You don’t need to do that.” 
 
 
 
“I’m your babysitter and probably your future wife. And as a wife, I need to make my husband comfortable, and you are one lucky guy because you’re getting a head start even before everyone else gets a chance.” she winked at me and smiled afterwards. “Good night and sleep well.” 
 
 
 
“Good night.” I said to her in a whisper while she walked towards the door and the lights turned off. “Good night, Dara-shi.” I smiled to myself after calling her real name. Do I need to get used to that? I hope so! It feels good!