Wild Rabbit

THE FIVE ROYAL CANDIDATES

Wild Rabbit

NARRATOR’S P.O.V

“You come back here!” a little girl shouted at a little boy while laughing. They have been chasing each other for an hour straight.

“Stop chasing me, you wild rabbit!” the little boy shouted back. The little girl, then, stopped after hearing this.

“What did you call me?” she paused. “Did you call me a wild rabbit?”

“Yes! You look like a rabbit but when you are chasing me, you become wild. That’s the reason why I called you that.”

“Take it back.” She pouted.

“You’re cute.”

“You’re not. If you don’t take it back, I’ll tell my dad.” She threatened.

“No, you deserve it. You have been chasing for over an hour now. I’m tired and you’re still chasing me.” With this, the little started crying.

“Stop crying! I didn’t do anything wrong!” he pouted.

“What’s going on here?” he whirled his head around and saw his father along with a woman and a familiar man walking towards their direction.

“It’s nothing dad. Can we go home now?”

“Dong Hae, what did you do? No, we’re not going home yet.” His dad smiled.

“He called me a wild rabbit dad.” Her father picked her up and almost immediately, she stopped crying.

“That’s because you become wild when you are playing.”

“Really?” she asked.

“Lee Jung Hyun, your son made our daughter cry. What should we do about it?” her father asked in a teasing tone.

“Dong Hae, when you’re older, don’t make a girl cry ok? If you do, you need to marry her.”

“Ok dad.”

“Wait, does this mean that he’s going to marry me?”

“EWWW….” They both said in disgust, which made the adults laugh.

“Why don’t we all go eat lunch? Attendant Park informed me that lunch is ready.”

“Let’s go your majesties, and your highness.”

“Your highness? That’s a funny name. Your name is your highness?” the boy chuckled.

“No, my full name is Princess Sandara Christine Marie Lee Park. I am the next in line to the throne. I am the daughter of the Emperor and Empress of the Korean Empire. Also, according to you, I am a wild rabbit.”

“Dara, what did I say about using your title?” her father looked her disapprovingly while she bit her lower lip.

“I should not use my title to humiliate others. If they humiliate me first then I should be aware and considerate at how to approach the problem without using my connections.” She answered.

When young Dong Hae heard this, he gained a newfound respect towards the young princess.

“Fine, you’re not a wild rabbit anymore; you’re just a rabbit ok? Don’t chase me all the time. Let’s play properly without too much chasing ok?”

“Ok.”

However after that incident, they never played again. Sandara started going to the royal academy while Dong Hae started going to school in the US, right afterwards, he became a famous Korean star.

EMPRESS DARA’S P.O.V

This is unbelievably stressful. In a couple of days, Prince William and Harry will arrive soon. The construction of the Elizabeth Hall has been completed. Protocols are now in place and are just awaiting for use, but what really stresses me out these days is my impending marriage to God knows who.

(Knock, Knock, Knock!)

“Who is it?” I answered while closing my book.

“It’s Choi Seung Hyun, your majesty.”

When I heard him, I felt this sudden relief. It was like a huge burden suddenly disappeared. However, I’m still nervous at his decision.

“Come in.” I stood up and smoothed out my clothes for better presentation.

The doors finally opened and he came in while bowing. I returned the favor and did my royal bow (bowing slightly but not all the way).

“Good Morning Mr. Choi, it is nice seeing and talking to you once again.

“Likewise, your majesty.”

“Lady Jung, please bring refreshments for us. Thank you.” She bowed and left us alone while closing the door in front of her.

“Please have a seat.” I gestured towards the common area of my office.

“Thank you.” He awkwardly responded as we awkwardly walked towards the sofas. Thankfully, Lady Jung returned with iced peach tea and pastries.

“Please, help yourself.”

“Is there anything else you need, your majesty?” Lady Jung asked as I shook my head.

“Thank you, you may go now.”

“Seung Hyun-shi, may I know your final is? It has been a week and I would very much like to know your answer today. The royal princes will arrive in Korea shortly and I cannot afford to be sidetracked with this meeting.” I finally got to the point. I’m an Empress; beating around the bush is not exactly the best way to handle problems, or proposals.

“Alright, if we are going to do this, at least I need to call you by your name.” he smiled after taking a sip of iced tea.

“Is that a yes?” I asked.

“My answer is yes. I want to try this first and if it does not work then I will just have to find the right woman for me.”

“I’m glad, and yes you can call me Dara.”

***

I have not been able to talk with the four candidates, and the only one left is Mr. Dong Hae. But, how can I meet with him? I find it quite ironic that a person as busy as I am cannot even get a hold of a celebrity.

“Dara, are you feeling alright? I have been asking questions here you know.” Harry chuckled as I sighed in frustration.

“I was just thinking about something.” I answered truthfully.

“Let me guess, you are either thinking about a man, or something about our alliance. Truthfully, I am thinking more of the former than the latter.” William winked at me as I giggled.

“You two are still the same old men I met and grew up with. And yes I am thinking about a man, four in fact.” I finally gave up and this made them raise brows.

“Four men; you’re thinking about four men?” Harry asked, with a strong hint of curiousness in his tone.

“I am getting married.”

“You’re getting married to four men? I thought you are Catholic and the previous laws for concubines are now forbidden in the royal court?”

“It is. I’m getting married to one of the five men that the parliament wants me to be with. I’m just annoyed, and frankly offended at how I cannot even choose my own husband—the person that I am going to be with for the rest of my life.” I sighed while sipping my wine.

“Well, if you need us, you know our number and where we live. We’ll fly here, discretely, if needed, alright?” Harry hugged me.

“I’m thankful that you two are like my own white older brothers.”

“We are your white brothers.”

“Let’s get some sleep. We need to be early tomorrow for the tour tomorrow.”

We all slept that night. William probably dreamt of Katherine and Harry dreamt of something I don’t even want to know. For me, I dreamt about a little girl and a little boy playing together in the palace. I believe, she was called wild rabbit, and I don’t know his. But, it’s all vaguely familiar. It was like a déjà vu.

 

(Sorry I haven't been able to post for a while. I was getting ready for my wedding, which happened last month, 23 March 2014. Since I am on break with school, I will be writing frequently from now on, alright? Thank you for your support!)