Chapter 3

Mutt

 

 

 

 

Meeting the rest of the pack had been… overwhelming to say the least. While he had gotten used to the presence of Yixing and felt comfortable around Baekhyun, having the company of an additional nine was confronting. There was too many. Too many dominating scents that he wasn’t familiar with which had his hair standing on end. He felt the need to run but even if he could he wouldn’t get far. His leg was still injured and running would only damage it further, maybe even beyond repair and that’s not what he needed in the slightest.

 

One of the only things that had kept him calm was Yixing who was by his side the entire time. He acted as a support him for him and not only because of his leg. He kept him grounded, stopping him from giving into the instinct to flee. He trusted Yixing, he knew that none of them would hurt him yet he just couldn’t help the feeling that clawed itself into the bottom of his gut with so many eyes on him.

 

“Oh, isn’t he just the cutest thing!” cooed the pretty Omega with the deer like eyes. Jongdae felt his face redden at the males exclamation.

 

“Come on Luhan, tone it down.” Said a tall Alpha with bushy eyebrows. ‘Yifan’ Jongdae thought to himself. The now identified Luhan pouts at Yifan’s words.

 

“But Fanfan, he is adorable.” Said another Omega with pitch black hair and prominent eye bags who was tugging on the Alpha’s arm.

 

“That may be so but try not to frighten our guest before he even gets a chance to meet everyone and settle in.” he says but there’s a smile on his lips as he looks down at the male that had taken his arm as a hostage and Jongdae can tell that he doesn’t mind it one bit.

 

“Don’t mind them.” Says a kind looking man that practically oozes the nurturing nature of a mother which calms him done immensely. “I’m Junmyeon.” He introduces and Jongdae immediately feels at ease. “Guys, move out of the way and give him some room.” He says to the others who back off, some of them sporting pouts of their own.

 

Jongdae grimaces as he moves his leg the wrong way and the ever attentive Yixing doesn’t miss it despite how hard he had tried to keep it to himself.

 

“Do you want to go and sit down on the couch?” Yixing asks and Jongdae nods his head. Junmyeon, hearing this clears a path for them. Yixing smiles at Junmyeon, wordlessly conveying his thanks and Junmyeon smiles right back.

 

Now comfortably seated on the couch Jongdae takes a moment to look around the room and at the other members of the pack and finds that despite never having met most of them before he’s able to recognise them. Yixing’s descriptions of his pack mates had been bang on the mark, so much so that he can even put names to faces.

 

“How are you feeling?” Asks a small male that Jongdae identifies as Kyungsoo, his wide eyes and heart shaped lips acting as a telling feature on his face. “Yixing said that you were pretty beat up.”

 

“I’m okay.” Jongdae answered.

 

“How about the leg.” Kyungsoo says pointing down at his still bandaged leg.

 

“It’s okay. Hurts when I move it the wrong way or bump it up against something.”

 

“It should be all healed up soon though.” Yixing adds.

 

“Well you’re definitely in good hands.” Says Chanyeol and Jongdae is startled by how deep the elf eared mans voice was. He hadn’t been expecting that voice to come out of that body. “I would know. I’ve hurt myself and been patched up by Yixing more times than I can remember.” He grins.

 

“Yeah, and most of the time it’s because of your own stupidity. I’m surprised your body’s still fully intact with the damaged you’ve done to it.” Baekhyun chastises though it’s not as accusing as it sounds, words and eyes both portraying his amusement at the other’s misfortune.

 

“Baek~” Chanyeol whines, the Alpha turning his faux betrayed puppy dog eyes towards his mate who pointedly ignores him. Jongdae doesn’t think a man of his size should be whining and while he should find it annoying, however coming from Chanyeol he can’t help but find it weirdly endearing.

 

“Don’t ‘Baek’ me. You did it all to yourself.”

 

“Come on children, that’s enough.” Yifan says.

 

“Yeah children, that’s enough.” Sehun mocks, eyes alight with mischief.

 

“Hush maknae.” Scolds Junmyeon. Sehun scrunches up his face and Jongdae honestly thinks that what forms onto his face is one of the ugliest things he’s ever seen.

 

Jongdae laughs. At both the childish bickering and the expression on Sehun’s face though if he was ever asked he would vehemently deny the latter.

 

“Are they always like that?” he whispers to Yixing who smiles but it’s a different voice that answers his question.

 

“Oh, it’s one of the joys.” Minseok says, rolling his eyes in fondness. “You’ll get used to it in no time.” he adds and the way he had phrased the sentence, along with the way he had said it, makes Jongdae choke up. He doesn’t want to hope. Doesn’t want to have it dangled right in front of his face, tempting him, and then have it taken away like a cruel joke.

 

He wants to berate himself for thinking about these people like that. They all seem nice, something which he hasn’t experienced for the longest time, but the nagging feeling in the back of his head bred from years of being ostracised tells him otherwise. He had encountered ‘nice’ before and that hadn’t ended well. It had just been a carefully concocted façade. Luckily he had noticed it in time to get away but the damage had been done.

 

Jongdae is taken from his thoughts when Yifan speaks up once again.

 

“Okay everyone, let’s give Jongdae some time to adjust. Shoo.” He says, making waving motions with his hand.

 

“Oh come on~” Baekhyun whines. He wanted to spend some more time with the Omega.

 

“Yeah, come on Yifan. We only just met him.” Jongin says but winces when Kyungsoo gives his ear a good pull. He rubs the abused lobe and sends Kyungsoo a betrayed look, who only looks back unsympathetically at his mate.

 

“And you’ll have plenty of time to do just that.” He says, quirking an eyebrow when he sees Zitao trying to convert himself into the perfect replica of a begging puss in boots. He just shakes his head and Zitao knows that his ploy has failed.

 

“I want to discuss something with Jongdae as well and this conversation doesn’t need any prying ears.” He adds and Jongdae’s entire body stiffens.

 

One by one the members of the pack walk out, expressions a mixture of curiosity and disappointment, though that latter mostly coming from the maknae line, until there is only three of them left. Jongdae looks over to Yixing who gives him a reassuring look and a squeeze on the shoulder before he too, departs.

 

Noticing Jongdae’s ridged figure, Yifan sits down in the single chair in front of the Omega, putting himself on the same level. The last thing he wanted was for the still unsure Omega to feel threatened or uncomfortable.

 

“This is all probably new to you, isn’t it?” Yifan asks and Jongdae nods his head. None of this is normal, at least to his experiences. But then again, he wasn’t actually sure what the definition or ‘normal’ was.

 

“As pack Alpha, it’s my duty to explain to you how things in this pack work.” He starts. “There’s really not much to know. Everyone is treated as equals, ‘Alpha’ and ‘Omega’, apart from naming our traits, are really just words. Alpha’s may be instinctively dominate, but that doesn’t mean we use it recklessly.” He says and Jongdae makes sure to pay full attention.

 

“There is respect in regards to age, but like a lot of things in this pack we’re not really that strict on it. You’ve probably already noticed that.” Yifan explains, an amused smile on his face, one that is mirrored, albeit more subdued, on Jongdae’s face. “There’s some other things that I should tell you but I think you would feel a bit more comfortable if another Omega were to discuss it with you.”

 

Jongdae face immediately reddens at Yifan’s words. He knows exactly what he’s talking about.

 

“Now enough about that.” He says and Jongdae’s glad that he had shifted the direction of their conversation. “I want to extend an invitation to you, one that you can accept or deny, the choice is up to you.”

 

That sentence makes Jongdae’s heart beat faster, almost as if it’s trying to jump right out of his chest and onto the floor.

 

“I would like to invite you to join my pack.”

 

Jongdae swallows the lump that had formed in his throat. The question was one he both hoped for and dreaded at the same time. It was something that he had half expected but he doesn’t know what he should say. Should he? Should he not? He honestly had no idea. Everyone had been so nice to him, so welcoming. I mean, who would welcome a complete stranger into their home? Let alone a mutt like him.

 

‘Hybrid’ a voice corrects him inside of his head.

 

So instead, he chooses something in between.

 

“C-can I think about it?” he asks timidly. Yifan smiles. He didn’t expect Jongdae to give him an answer straight away.

 

“Of course. Take as long as you need.” He says. “Oh and Jongdae, I know you’ve been through some terrible things and I’m not saying that you have to tell us, but if you need someone one to talk to, all of our ears are open, if you need them. None of us will turn you away.”

 

Jongdae feels warm.

 

“Thankyou.”

 

 

~X~

 

 

Fitting into pack life was hard. He wasn’t the only one that mattered, there were eleven other lives around him. It was difficult trying to care for others when he had only had himself for so long. But even though it was hard – different – he felt himself starting to enjoy it. Yifan’s offer reverberated in his head and the offer was becoming more and more tempting as the days went on.

 

Yixing had finally declared that his leg was healed enough for the cast to come off, however he had been banished from shifting or engaging in any form of intense activity, which was easier said than done when you’re surrounded by overly excited and playful wolves.

 

What made it even worse was Jongdae himself. He felt jittery. He wasn’t used to spending so much time in one place as well as so much time in his human form. He wanted to run, stretch his legs and release the beast inside of him. While his wolf instincts are dampened slightly due to the mixture of wolf and dog blood running through his veins. Like any other wolf he hated to be contained, even when it was in the best interests of his heath and in his case, until Yixing deemed it safe.

 

He also had something else at the forefront of his mind which scared him. He had skipped his heat, something which had never happened to him since his first had come and while you would think most would be happy about that – I mean, who wouldn’t? Jongdae certainly did. He never enjoyed them. They were painful and uncomfortable. But the only reason why his heat would have been skipped was if A) He was pregnant, which he knew he definitely wasn’t, or B) There was seriously something wrong. He really didn’t know what to think.

 

He had panicked at first. He had wanted to go to Yixing, ask him what was wrong with him but the embarrassment that came with discussing the topic with Yixing who also happened to be an Alpha prevented him from doing so. He knew it wasn’t something he should feel embarrassed, it was a natural occurrence but there was something that made his face heat up when thought about telling Yixing. Instead he had gone to Baekhyun who was also in the presence of Junmyeon.

 

“It’s nothing to worry about.” Baekhyun had said and Jongdae had failed to see how he shouldn’t worry about it.

 

“Why?” Jongdae had asked.

 

Junmyeon smiles. “It’s been known to happen. Omega’s skipping heats because they’re stressed or have suffered terrible injuries, which I would say you’ve gone through both. I’m actually surprise it hasn’t happened to you before.” He says.

 

“Are you sure there’s nothing wrong?” he says, still unsure about whole situation. He doesn’t think Junmyeon would lie to him but he want to make sure.

 

“I may not be a doctor but I’ve spent enough time around Yixing to pick up a few things. It also helps if you’ve had first hand experience.” He says and Jongdae doesn’t miss the hint from the elder.

 

Jongdae had felt like a weight had been lifted of his shoulders. The problem was he doesn’t know when it’ll hit.

 

“It’s different for everyone.” Junmyeon had said. “Baekhyun has the best sense of smell so he’ll be able to warn you when it does.”

 

“I’ll be your nose.” He smiles, tapping the top of his nose with his index finger. Jongdae smiles back.

 

When he wasn’t spending time with Baekhyun and Junmyeon he found himself helping out in the kitchen with Kyungsoo and Yixing. Like him, they were both early risers. The first couple of days he would watch them but he felt useless. Kyungsoo must have sensed this because he had out of the blue asked Jongdae if he had wanted to help.

 

“Do you want to help?”

 

Jongdae had blinked up at the other Omega, silently questioning him with his eyes. He knew how the kitchen was the domain of Kyungsoo and Yixing. Kyungsoo smiles, lips forming on into the heart shaped which he had gotten used to seeing. Jongdae nods shyly, getting off of the chair and making his way over to where Kyungsoo was standing.

 

“We’re going to be making pancakes.” Kyungsoo says and Jongdae’s face lights up. He really like the pancakes Yixing had given him before and now he was going to make them. He was excited.

 

Kyungsoo could see the excitement ooze off the other Omega in waves and he was sure that this was the happiest he had seem the other. He had smile the entire time as Kyungsoo talked him through the steps, lips constantly being pulled up. Kyungsoo could honestly say that it’s was one of the cutest thing he had even seen. It was like Jongdae was made to smile. It felt like that simple action had the power to light up the entire world.

 

Jongdae can’t remember the last time he had laughed this much. His cheeks hurt from the strain, muscles not being used to the action.

 

“It sounds like you guys are having fun in here.” Yixing says as he comes into the kitchen, drawn in by the sound of laughter. Yixing and Kyungsoo share a smile.

 

“Cooking is fun.” Jongdae says and Yixing barks out a laugh when he looks at the state the Omega is in. “What?” he questions, oblivious to his appearance.

 

“You’ve got a little something…” he says moving his hand in front of his face.

 

“Oh.” Jongdae says in realisation. Kyungsoo hands him a cloth which he uses to wipe his face, giving it back to the other Omega when he had finished.

 

“Here, you’ve still got some…” Yixings say moving over to Jongdae. He the tip of his thumb and wipes Jongdae nose who becomes cross eyed as the Alpha’s thumb touches his nose. “There we go.” He says in triumph, smiling down at the other who had turned an impressive shade of red at the other action.

 

All the while Kyungsoo turns around in order to hide the smile which had come onto his face. They were just too cute together. They had formed a unique bond in the short time that had known each other, something which he hadn’t seen the likes of before but he knows what they have is special.

 

Turning back around he sees that Jongdae has his head bowed slightly, face still flushed red but there’s a small smile of his face. Yixing had migrated over to the counter, taking a seat on one of the bar stools, though his eyes are still set of Jongdae.

 

“Here, why don’t you be our taste tester?” Kyungsoo asks the Alpha, deciding to distract Jongdae from what had just happened.

 

“Yeah, sure. I am pretty hungry anyway.” He shrugs. Kyungsoo brings over a plate of pancakes and Yixing digs into them straight away. Jongdae watches his every move while biting his lower lip in nervousness. When Yixing continues to eat and stay silent Jongdae starts to shuffle his feet.

 

‘Oh god what if they don’t taste any good?’ He thinks. He had really tried his best.

 

“These are good.” Yixing speaks after what had seemed like a century in Jongdae eyes. Though in reality it had only been a few minutes. Jongdae releases the breath which he hadn’t known he was holding.

 

As if Yixing’s opinion had been broadcast around the house, the members began filing into the kitchen one by one, all in various stages of waking up. The worst by far was definitely Jongin who as soon as he sat down placed his head right onto the table. Jongdae heard Kyungsoo sigh but the look he was giving his mate was full of love as he walked over and carded his hand through his messy hair. Jongin immediately leaned into the Omega’s touch and Jongdae was sure that if he was a cat he would be purring in contentment.

 

“Thankyou for the pancakes Kyungsoo.” Minseok says after he had finished, pushing him plate away from him.

 

“Oh, don’t thank me. Jongdae’s the one that made them.” He answers which causes Jongdae face to yet again redden as everyone’s eyes are directed towards him.

 

“Thankyou Jongdae.” Minseok smiles.

 

“Yeah, thanks Jongdae. They’re really good!” Chanyeol says enthusiastically, bits of food coming out of his mouth. Baekhyun elbows him in the side and sends him a disapproving look.

 

“Don’t speak with your mouth full you big oaf.” Baekhyun chides.

 

“Sorry.” Chanyeol says, swallowing his food and grinning sheepishly.

 

Everyone takes their turn in praising Jongdae’s pancakes, even the half-awake Jongin. Jongdae seems to be glowing from all of the praise, smiling brilliantly. Yixing, in this moment, promises to protect that smile, no matter what.

 

 

~X~

 

 

Jongdae was excited.

 

Today was the day. The first one since he had been injured that he was finally able to shift. His wolf had been locked up for far too long and was just waiting to get out. His excitement was palpable. Everyone could feel it, so much so that they found themselves getting hyped up as well, as if they were leeching off the energy the Omega was exuding.

 

“I know you’re excited but you can’t push yourself to full capacity.” Yixing tells Jongdae who quickly nods his head. “I don’t want you to reinjure yourself.” He says and Jongdae can tell that the Alpha is genuinely worried for his safety.

 

“I promise to be careful.” Jongdae says, holding his pinky finger out.

 

Yixing laughed at the childish gesture but hooked his own pinky with Jongdae’s. Jongdae grinned back at him, teeth on full display and Yixing was pleased that his smile was becoming a constant presence on his face.

 

“Can we go now?” Jongdae asked and Yixing finally gave in. Without a word Jongdae raced outside, Yixing following hot on his heels, still slightly concerned for the others safety. Call him a worry wort but he just didn’t want him to hurt himself.

 

Jongdae and Yixing were met with the rest of the pack, most of which had already shifted. Baekhyun yipped when he saw the younger Omega emerge from the house, running up to him and butting against his legs. Jongdae laughed, carding his hand through the russet coloured wolfs fur.

 

Jongdae began to take off his clothes and the others diverted their eyes respectively giving the Omega some privacy. They were all used to the ness but they knew that Jongdae was still weary being in his birthday suit around other people, something which they all understood and respected.

 

The shift from human to wolf was slower than usual, though it was to be expected after spending so much time having to supress it. When he had fully shifted everyone had by now already done the same and were now looking at the new wolf in wonder.

 

He was small, even smaller than Kyungoo but hybrids had been known to be smaller than their full blooded counterparts. His ears and coat length were slightly longer, taking on the appearance of a German Sheppard, his father’s heritage showing. But what stunned them most was his coat. Though mostly black, there were patches of caramel scattered around his body, a colour which they had never seen on a wolf before.

 

Different from Yixing and Junmyeon’s grey, Kyungsoo and ZItao’s black and Jongin’s brown. Different from Minseok and Chanyeol’s reddish-orange, Yifan and Sehun’s blonde and Luhan’s silver. Jongdae however failed to notice any of the others astounding stares, instead to focused on stretching out his legs.

 

Baekhyun and Kyungsoo were the first to jump out of their stupor, bounding over to Jongdae and knocking him over and thus begins the epic play fight on the century as they all decide to join in, only broken up by a howl from their head Alpha. Having all of their attention Yifan darts off into the woods, getting the hint everyone follows. Jongdae, though slower than the rest, is soon entering the woods surrounding the house.

 

It feels good to be out in the woods running again, though this time it feels different. This time he’s not on the run nor constantly on the lookout for unfriendly faces with sinister intentions. He’s surrounded by eleven other’s who would lay down their lives for each other, as well as himself, a cross breed who’ve they’ve known for less than three weeks.

 

Looking over to his left he sees Yixing matching his pace, running by his side. Every now and again Yixing lightly bumps into him, eyes glinting with something mischievous.

 

In this moment Jongdae couldn’t imagine anything different. He thinks that he had found something that he doesn’t want to let go. Something that he wants to hold onto no matter what.

 

Later that day as everyone is turning down from their run and getting for bed Jongdae pulls Yifan to the side.

 

“Okay.” Jongdae says.

 

Yifan smiles warmly, knowing what the Omega had meant by the single word.

 

“Welcome to the family.”

 

Jongdae smiles.

 

Family…

 


Sorry it took so long guys. I had a few family/personal issues that I had to sort out. I also wanted to keep the chapters fairly consistent in length, around 3500 words and I will admit that I had a little bit of writers block. Sorry about there being a lack of Xingdae interactions in this chapter but I promise their will be more in the next.

So much has happened since I last posted though. The Xiuchen feels are running his now. I mean, have you seen the Natures Republic fan meet? No one ships Xiuchen harder than Xiuchen themselves. And can we all say congratulations for Yixing's 'Loose Control' being number one in China for 12 straight weeks! How great is that?! And Jongdae finally getting a collaboration with Dynamic Duo. I'm so happy for him :3 Probably going to stay up and wait for it. I have work tomorrow but screw that haha. There's been more but at this moment I can't think of anything.

Oh, I went an saw xXx yesterday with my friend last night and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's not my favourite action movie but it's enjoyable to watch. It probably doesn't help that Kris is in it as well. It felt surreal walking along the halls to the cinema and seeing the posters with 'Kris Wu' on it. It's weird thinking that around three years ago I didn't even know who EXO was. And it's Luhan's time soon, with The Great Wall. I'm going to go and see that as well.

Focusing on Australia for a second I just want to say Rest in Peace to the 5 people killed at the Bourke Street Mall in the Melbourne CBD on Friday. Five lives lost way to early. The man in question had been charged with 5 counts of murder and I hope he is punished to the full extent of the law. The world can be such a cruel place.