Chapter 1

Mutt

 

 

 

 

Jongdae was a mutt and in this world there was nothing worse than being born a mutt. It was dangerous. He was constantly on the run, never staying in one place long enough for another pack to sniff him out. Years of running had given him the necessary skills to stay hidden and out of reach, preferring to sneak and outwit those that actually managed to get close enough to him for it to be a concern.  He was a minority, one that wasn’t well received by the general population. Discriminated against, even killed, for their blood being mixed with dogs who are seen as common house pets who have been conditioned to submit and obey the commands of humans, their masters.

 

If it couldn’t get any worse he had the unfortunate pleasure to be born an Omega as well. Which meant that he also had to suffer through the monthly visitor that was called heat. It left him vulnerable and needy, a state that disadvantaged him when he was trying to move through pack territories and remain undetected.

 

He’d been on his own for a while now. His father, a German Shepard, had been hit by a car not long after his birth, something which had deeply affected his mother. She had taken the loss hard but she knew she had to keep together to keep her darling little puppy alive and safe. When he was old enough to walk comfortably and for increased periods of time his mother took them out of the city and into the secluded parts of the woods. She raised him as best as she could, teaching him how to hunt, as well as other valuable life skills that she knew he was sure to need in the future.

 

When he was young, still naïve and clinging to his childhood, he didn’t understand why they had to stay away from other wolves, didn’t understand why he mother would herd him away and move when they could smell another wolf nearby. Didn’t understand why they needed to hide and more importantly he didn’t understand why it was so bad they he was different.

 

“Mama, why do we have to move all of the time?” he asked his mother one night. He remembers her becoming ridged and then sighing in surrender. She knew that she would have to answer his questions sooner or later.

 

“Now before I tell you, you have to know that I love you and that there is absolutely nothing wrong with you. Do you hear me?” she told him, her face the perfect picture of seriousness. He nods.

 

“Do you remember me telling you that you’re different.” She starts and again Jongdae nods.

 

“You said that my Daddy is a dog and not a wolf like you or your Daddy.” He says, remembering what his mother had told him before.

 

She smiles ruefully. “That’s right.” She says. “Most wolves don’t… most see a wolf and a dog mating as wrong.”

 

“But why would it be wrong.” He tilts his head to the side in confusion. “Aren’t dogs like wolves except they can’t shift?”

 

She smiles at his innocence, smoothing his hair with her hands. “Some people don’t see it like that Jongdae.”

 

“But why?” he asks, questioning, wide eyes staring directly at his mothers.

 

“They’re just close minded.” She says and by the finality in her tone he knows that the conversation is over. He drifts off to sleep, lulled by his mothers comforting hands and soothing voice.

 

Years later, when he was sixteen, he finally knew what his mother had met as he watched a group of wolves tear his mother apart while trying to protect him from their jaws and claws. ‘Filthy mutt’ they had called him, ‘A disgrace to the bloodline’ they had jeered, ‘Kill the Omega mutt before he can reproduce’.

 

After that day his once innocent self had been stained by the cruelty of a world which persecuted those different from themselves. ‘Run’ his mother had told him, ‘Keep running and don’t look back. Stay safe’. They were the last words she had spoken to him before she had joined his father. He followed her words, running and running until he could run no more and the tears had clouded his vision and ever since then that’s all he had been doing.

 

He had been on his own for nearly three years now and so far he had avoided major trouble. He thought he had done pretty well for himself. He was still alive wasn’t he? His lifestyle wasn’t ideal but he could make do. He didn’t need a lot. He had no need for clothes, there was no point really. He was constantly shifting back and forth so they would just be a nuisance, leaving behind his scent which he way trying to keep hidden in the first place. He smelt different from full wolves and they would immediately be able to tell that he was a mutt.

 

He had grown accustomed to sleeping on the hard ground and hunting small prey, such as rabbits, birds and fish, which he could devourer in a matter of moments and then be on his way. He sometimes went days without food but he had also grow accustomed to the feeling if his stomach wanting to eat it self.

 

His heats were always difficult for him. He had become starved for affection. He tries to cling onto the memory of his mother’s touches but even they had begun to fade, his mind and body no longer remembering what a comforting touch felt like. During his heat his bodies need for attention and affection – a touch – was ramped up to its full capacity. He had nearly fallen victim to it once before, letting a rouge Alpha closer than he would have liked. However, luckily for him he had snapped out of his daze in time to put distance between himself and the Alpha, hiding himself in the hollow of a tree near a river which a decent job of hiding his enhanced scent for the duration of his heat. He hadn’t made that mistake again.

 

Like many nights before, Jongdae found himself stealthily moving through the night in his wolf form, the moon peeking through the gaps in the tree tops. His eyes had caught the movement of small lights moving around him and his wags his tail in excitement. He knows what these lights are.

 

Fireflies

 

He jumps up and down, dancing around as the little bugs fly around him without a care in the world. He had always loved fireflies. He found them beautiful and interesting. How could a tiny little bug emit a light so pure and captivating? To busy playing with the bugs he fails to notice the presence of multiple wolves coming towards him.

 

Just as he’s about to jump after a single firefly which he had been eyeing, the sound of a branch breaking catches his attention. His body immediately freezes, muscles tensing up when the scent of wolf wafts into his nose, glowing eyes standing out in the darkness of the woods.

 

Without thinking he takes off into a sprint, the unidentified wolves – two of them – take chase after him, growling in anger that their prey had noticed them. He darts through the woods, in between trees and avoiding dips in the ground. He runs as fast as he can, muscles aching from the strain he’s putting them through. He doesn’t know how long it takes but he finally puts distance between him and the pursuing wolves. He slows down into a trot, turning his nose up into the air and ears straight up.

 

He hears a frustrated howl and he smirks. Just another successful escape in the bag. It then lets out a sigh. That had been way to close for comfort.

 

Suddenly a weight comes crashing into him, sending him off his feet and onto the ground. He scrambles back up onto his feet, only to be pushed back down, impacting hard onto the dirt. He yelps when a set of jaws latch themselves around his neck, breaking skin causing him to bleed. Jongdae manages to twist himself out of the wolf’s jaws after some effort.

 

The wolf howls and Jongdae is confused until two more respond and his heart sinks. He’s calling for the other two. He needs to get out of there quick. He moves to get up but one of his back legs are pulled out from under him and he yet again falls to the ground. He growls, baring his teeth and whipping his head around like lightning, managing to get his own teeth into the wolf’s neck. He latches on hard but is violently thrown off before he can to any real damage to his attacker. He rushes back to his feet, hissing when he puts too much weight onto the back leg that the wolf had grabbed onto. He frantically looks around for an escape but finds that all routes have been blocked off as he was now surrounded, the three wolves trapping him within a circle made by their own bodies.

 

It had seemed that his luck had finally run out.

 

He squares himself up, trying to make himself appear bigger than he actually is. He growls. It’s supposed to sound intimidating but by the smug looks the Alpha’s are passing tell him that he had failed, it sounding more afraid than anything. They circle him, waiting for Jongdae to open himself up before they attack, waiting for him to make a move. His eyes dart to the side, spotting a small opening. Without thinking he shoots off but he’s not fast enough.

 

In a spilt second all three of them are upon him. He yelps are he’s shook to the ground, bitten and bruised. He tries his best to get away from them, to fight back but there’s just too many off them. They’re much stronger than himself and they know that. He doesn’t stand a chance but it’s not in his nature to give up. He tries his best and manages to inflict some injuries albeit small and non-lethal in nature.

 

The smell of blood hits his senses and he knows that it’s his own, the smell coming from the deep gashes that litter his body from the three Alpha’s assault. He now finds himself laying on the floor, panting and in pain. He doesn’t know what comes over him, doesn’t know what makes him do it, but he howls, loud and clear. It cutting through the night.

 

He feels his vision darking, black spots dancing in his eyes. He completely collapses, body shifting back into his human form as he no longer has the energy to keep himself in his wolf form. Just as his world completely fades out he hears a howl in the distance.

 

 

~X~

 

 

The day had started off normal for Yixing. Like usual, he and Minseok had been the first up and about in the morning, always up at the crack of dawn. The two Alpha’s made it their duty to prepare breakfast and make sure that the coffee machine was hot and ready for the less than enthusiastic people in their house. Apart from Kyungsoo and maybe Junmyeon, Yixing and Minseok were the only ones that were trusted to use the kitchen without something breaking or being set on fire. ‘It was an accident!’ Chanyeol had cried when he had managed to set one of the dish cloths alight, despite the fact that he had only tried to make a sandwich, something which Baekhyun had pointed out ‘doesn’t require the use of fire’. Thus, Yifan had declared that under no circumstances is anyone allowed to use the kitchen for any more than drinks or pre-packaged unless they were under the supervision from either Yixing, Minseok, Kyungsoo or Junmyeon, though the latter is still… questionable at times.

 

Yixing and Minseok watched on in amusement as the rest of their pack members stumbled out of bed and into the kitchen one by one. However, none looked more out of it than Jongin did, the second youngest Alpha always being the last to rise and longest to fall into a coherent and somewhat responsive state.

 

Yixing watches everyone in the house, the couples, and feels a pang in his heart. Kyungsoo running his fingers through a still sleepy Jongin’s hair, Baekhyun with his face pressed into Chanyeol’s neck, Tao seated comfortably in Yifan’s lap, Luhan and Sehun feeding each other the pancakes that he had made and the loving gazes that Junmyeon and Minseok send each other. He feels a stab of jealously but then he feels guilty for doing so. He loves them all. They’re family and he’s happy for them all but he can’t help but feel lonely, wanting a connection like theirs. He’s the only one that has yet to find someone. He had thought that he had found that someone before, only realising later that it wasn’t what he had first thought, had first hoped. He knows that it wasn’t meant to be but he can’t help but wonder ‘what if?’.

 

Before he catches himself staring he looks away, busying himself with the dishes that have piled up with his pack members finished breakfasts. He’s quickly distracted from those thoughts when the house becomes more lively, his pack mates mucking around and laughing. He’s pulled in and he soon finds himself forgetting about his loneliness.

 

The day wears on, the bright and shinning sun disappears and makes way for the moon and stars and with that comes a calmness that settles over all of them. Like many nights before they are all laid out on the grass next to their house, looking up and admiring the night sky. No matter how many times they do it, it doesn’t get old or boring. It’s somewhat of a tradition for their pack. A way for them to feel close without having to say a word.

 

Their peaceful evening is ruined when a pained howl pierces through the silence. Their keen hearing picks it up and they all sit up in attention at the sound.

 

“That sounded pretty close.” Junmyeon says and they all nod in agreeance.

 

“We should go. Whoever it was sounds hurt. They need help.” Luhan says, pleading eyes directed towards Yifan, the others doing the same. It’s his call.

 

Yifan nods. The idea of ignoring someone in obvious need leaves a bad taste in his mouth. “Yixing, Chanyeol, you’re with me.” He says and they stand up at their Alpha’s order. Yixing knows why he was chosen. From the howl it’s safe to assume that whoever it came from if hurt and Yixing is the best at dealing with and treating injuries.

 

“The rest of you stay here. We shouldn’t be too long. It didn’t sound too far away.”

 

With that the three of them set off, not even bothering to shift. Even in their human forms they’re fast and agile, must faster than a regular human. They run together, Yifan leading in front with Chanyeol and Yixing flanking him on either side. As they get closer to where the howl had originated from the scent of iron invades their noses –blood- as well as multiple scents of foreign wolves, wolves which shouldn’t be anywhere their territory.

 

A growl permeates from Yifan’s chest, him speeding up his gait, angered with intruders in his territory. He howls, hoping that the intruders will heed his warning. Yixing and Chanyeol keep pace with their leader, ready to fight if necessary. However by the time they reach the place where the stench of blood is strongest the other wolves are already gone, obviously scared off by the three Alpha’s approach.

 

Lying on the ground, completely still, is the body of a man (boy?). He’s covered in bites, scratches, bruises, blood and dirt. The only thing at first glance telling them that injured male is alive is the slow and shallow rise and fall of his chest.

 

Yixing rushes towards him, delicately placing his hands on the unconscious males body and almost flinches at how cold his skin feels. He immediately takes off his jumper and pulls it over the mans head.

 

“How is he?” Yifan asks from where he is observing Yixing’s actions.

 

“He doesn’t look to good.” Chanyeol comments.

 

“We need to get him back to the house.” Yixing says, those words conveying how serious the strangers injuries are.

 

Yifan nods. “Quickly.”

 

As carefully as possible, Yixing, with the help of Chanyeol manoeuvre the male into Yixing’s arms. Despite them trying to be as careful as possible the male still whimpers, face twisting in the pain at being moved. Looking at the male held in his arms he sees how small he is, dwarfed even by his own size. Yixing isn’t the biggest in their pack by far, that place belongs to Yifan and Chanyeol, but he looks absolutely tiny. Probably even smaller than Kyungsoo, he guesses.

 

A gust of wind brings a scent that he hadn’t managed to catch before and it has his eyes open wide, two things being registered by his nose. He flashes a look over to Yifan and Chanyeol and know that they had caught the same thing that he had if their grim expressions are anything to go by.

 

They set off silently. Yixing treads slowly and lightly, not wanting to jostle the unconscious but in pain man. The silence is occasionally broken by his whimpers as Yixing encounters dips in the ground. Yifan and Chanyeol keep a careful lookout, making sure that no more unwanted guests walk into their land. Yixing pays no attention to his surroundings, instead focusing on his task. He watches the Omega’s face and catches every twitch his facial muscles make.

 

He’s startled when the man blinks his lids open, glassy eyes staring right into his own. He can’t tear his eyes away, fixated, almost hypnotised by them before they once again slip closed. He releases the breath he didn’t even know that he had been holding. When he looks up he realises that they’re within view of their house. The journey back had seemed to have gone by in a flash when he knows it would have taken at least a half an hour at the speed they were going.

 

They climb the steps of the porch, Yifan leading them to open the door for Yixing and their guest. Yixing walks inside and is immediately assaulted with the words of their curious pack members who had crowded around him as soon as they had heard the door open.

 

“Guys back off! Give him some space. He’s not in the best condition.” Yifan orders and they all do so with guilty looks marring each of their faces. They had all been eager and excited to see the new wolf that they had forgotten the he was more than likely hurt.

 

“What happened to him?” Zitao asks as he steps so that he’s beside Yifan, the Alpha unconsciously putting his arm around his mates waist.

 

“He was attacked.” Chanyeol says. “The wolves who attacked him ran off when they heard Yifan’s howl and caught our scent so I highly doubt that they’re be back.”

 

“But we have to be on the lookout just in case they do.” Luhan adds and Yifan nods. They have to make sure that they won’t return for any reason.

 

“Can we talk about this later? I really need to get him looked at.” Yixing points out.

 

“Yeah, go ahead.” Yifan tells him but is stopped when Baekhyun comes forward, a frown on his face and nose upturned and Yixing knows that he’s sniffing the air. Baekhyun’s always had the keenest nose out of them all.

 

He stands in front of Yixing and gazes at the Omega his arms for a moment before placing his hand on the mans cheek, sympathy adoring his features.

 

“He’s a hybrid.” He says softly but everyone hears him loud and clear.

 

“He’s a mutt?!” Sehun exclaims and Luhan elbows him hard in the side, sending him a scathing look.

 

“Don’t call him that! Don’t you know how derogatory that word is?” Luhan chastises him like a parent does to a child that’s done something wrong.

 

“I’m sorry.” Sehun apologises with his head down, looking like a kicked puppy.

 

“We’ll talk about this later. Let Yixing patch him up, okay?” Junmyeon says, ushering Yixing towards their makeshift medical room. Yixing smiles at the Omega thankfully, who smiles right back at him, opening the door for him. Junmyeon runs a light hand through the mans hair before he backs out of the room, leaving Yixing alone with the hurt wolf. Yixing watches Junmyeon leave and then turns his attention back to the Omega in his arms.

 

He places him down onto the bed, taking a moment to massage his arms before he gets all of his supplies ready. He searches around finds a pair of boxers, slipping them onto the mans body, careful to keep his head turned away. He doesn’t know how the man would feel about Yixing seeing him when he woke up.

 

With the boxers now firmly situated on the Omegas hips he pulls his jumper off of the man and his injuries are once again displayed for his eyes to see. Most of them are scratches and bruises but the ones he worries about the most are the bite marks on his neck, the gash on his chest and the possible fractured leg which, by the amount of blood dried around the wounds, is a major cause of why he had lost consciousness. The gash would require stitching. Blood loss can be a dangerous thing.

 

His mind is taken away from his injuries when he takes a moment to digest the others appearance. Sharp but soft facial features, long eye lashes which rest gently on his high cheekbones, thin lips which upturn at the corners, slim body with lithe muscle and a tiny waist. He was somewhat… exotic and Yixing liked what was in front of him.

 

He shakes his head, dismissing those thoughts from his head. He looks at his medical supplies and sighs.

 

He has a long night ahead of him and he only hope that he Omega stays asleep while he cleans him up.

 


Hey guys! Just another fic by me. To be honest this wasn't the fic that I was supposed to be uploading. It was actually another one but I got to the second chapter and had a little mind blank. Like, I know exactly what I want but it just won't turn out the way I want it. I'm not giving up on it but I am going to give it a little break.

Now for this one what do you guys think? How is it so far? There's also a little something which I hinted at in this chapter, I wonder if any of you will figure it out. Now let me tell you, unlike my other stories this one doesn't have an upload schedule. When I finish a chapter, I'll upload it but I have no idea how long it will take to complete a chapter. I have work and I'm trying my best to hang out with friends before I go back to Uni.

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas! I went Boxing Day shopping today and I happened to discover a Skechers shoe store a my major shopping centre and they were selling the shoes that EXO were advertising. I just had to laugh when I saw it.

Anyway, see you guys next chapter!