5.-

Ethereal Roses

Chapter 5

 

“12 to 15 months?” JongDae widened his eyes upon hearing the lifespan left of his… well considerably, neighbour. He was shocked. How was Kai able to deal with the fact that his lover wouldn’t have a lot of time to live?

 

 

 

 

 

“I spoke to Kai.” BaekHyun continued. JongDae listened attentively, he wanted to know what BaekHyun had told Kai about it. “I told him about how long more there’s left. Kai broke down, of course. I accompanied him, right at the rooftop of this hospital. He cried the whole time. It sounded too painful.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

BaekHyun heaved out a sigh, frowning as he stared into the space. “Its painful to know the one you love will leave you. But… Kai decided on something. He’ll make his lover smile, and make his lover happy. And he will never… never ever leave his lover to sleep with horrible thoughts in his head.” BaekHyun his dry lips. “It was painful for Kai, I believe. But he wanted his lover to remain happy for the rest of his life. At least his lover will have a good life, right?” BaekHyun chuckled bitterly, at the thought of it.

 

 

 

 

 

His lover will have a good life for the remaining months. Definitely. But… what about Kai? What will happen to him after those months with his lover are gone? What will he do?

 

 

 

 

 

 

The worst part of all…

 

 

 

 

 

 

What if he develops depression?

 

 

 

 

 

--

 

 

 

Kai knocked on his lover’s door. He straightened up a little and adjusted his clothes, he had to make sure he looked presentable to his lover.

 

 

“Come in!” He heard the cheerful voice. Kai smiled, sliding the door open with his available hand as he hid the bouquet of flowers behind his back with the other.

 

 

 

 

“Kai!” The voice he loved. Kai approached his lover and chuckled.

 

 

“How is my baby today, hmm?” Kai leant in and kissed him on the lips. They shared their kisses like there’s no tomorrow. Kai just wanted the time to stop right there.

 

 

 

 

 

 

As with each second that passed, Luhan was getting close to losing his life.

 

 

 

 

Kai pulled away as he didn’t want to think about it. He distracted himself by asking him, “guess what did I get for you?” The deer eyed boy beamed and moved his body to get a peek at what Kai got behind his back for him.

 

 

 

 

 

Luhan was aged 26, young, loved singing and loved to inspire people. He was often mistaken as 18 due to his looks and baby face, wide eyes, and his behaviour. They all matched a teen of 18. He followed trends, looked good.

 

 

 

 

 

 

But now… he didn’t look like Luhan anymore, his looks told he was a different person, but deep inside he was still Luhan.

 

 

 

 

 

The same old cheerful guy Kai adored and loved wholeheartedly.

 

 

 

 

Luhan, was Kai’s lover.

 

 

 

 

“Jjang!” Kai brought the flowers forward to Luhan. Daisies, accompanied by baby breaths. Those flowers that Luhan loved. Those flowers that represented their love.

 

 

 

“Oh my god, Kai… They’re beautiful…” Luhan took the bouquet of flowers into his hands, smiling so widely at the what he received from his lover. He gave a sigh of bliss and diverted his gaze back at Kai.

 

 

 

“Thank you, honey.” Luhan leant in and kissed his lover’s cheeks. Kai replied with a ‘welcome’ accompanied by a hug.

 

 

 

“Shall we head out today?” Kai sat by the corner of the bed and held Luhan’s hand. He then shifted himself a little to lay down with Luhan, and rested his head on his shoulder, hands still connected, fingers still intertwined. Kai didn’t want to let go of those cold petite hands.

 

 

 

“I’d love to! Let’s go get some good food, I’m getting annoyed by eating bland food every single day.” Luhan complained as a pout formed on his lips. Geez, even having chemotherapy, Luhan’s appetite was still big. That’s something good, Kai supposed.

 

 

 

“I’ll ask BaekHyun about it, alright? He’s just next door. There’s a new patient next door anyway.” Kai pecked Luhan on the lips.

 

 

 

“A new patient?” And another peck.

 

 

 

“How does he look like?” And another peck before Luhan started whining and tackled Kai with tickles.

 

 

 

They bullied each other with tickles and kisses, and all that was heard was laughter, giggles and kisses. 30 minutes passed of teasing each other and they were tired. They ended up in each other’s arms, cuddling. Kai rubbed Luhan on his arm gently, holding him so close.

 

 

 

 

 

 

As if Luhan was a fragile gem, Kai wanted to protect him.

  

 

 

 

“I’ll go ask BaekHyun now, okay?” Kai placed a soft kiss on Luhan’s head and shot him a sweet and sincere smile. He missed going out on a date with his boyfriend. Luhan replied with a nod, which gave Kai the signal to get up and go to the next door, which was the ward where JongDae was in.

 

 

 

 

Two knocks and a reply from inside of the room lead Kai inside.

 

 

 

“Oh? Kai! What brings you here?” BaekHyun immediately stood up, approaching the tanned guy, as JongDae just looked at Kai, curious of what business Kai had in his ward.

 

 

 

 

“Well, I was just thinking if I can bring Luhan out today… He’d been stuck in the room for days. I just want to bring him to the city for a bit. It’s boring here and he doesn’t have any check-ups today. Please? Can I bring him out?” Kai pleaded, he was determined to get the permission to do so.

 

 

 

BaekHyun thought about it, reminded Kai about the risk of bringing Luhan out. But Kai still wanted to do so. He wanted his lover to be happy. He wanted his lover to smile, and have fun again, to enjoy the remaining time of his life.

 

 

 

 

BaekHyun hesitantly said ‘yes’ to Kai’s request. BaekHyun himself was already a soft-hearted dude that couldn’t stand the fact that Kai was sacrificing so much for his dying boyfriend. BaekHyun needed to fulfil it, by helping Kai to make Luhan happy. That was the least BaekHyun could do. To give him the permission to do it.

 

 

 

“Thank you so much, BaekHyun, thank you, thank you thank you.” Kai pulled BaekHyun into a tight hug, and he couldn’t stop thanking BaekHyun for the approval.

 

 

 

“Three conditions.” BaekHyun raised his hand with three fingers up.

 

 

 

“I know, I know.” Kai laughed in his semi-deep voice. “Watch his diet. Be back by 11 PM. Call you if there is any emergency.” Kai continued, repeating what BaekHyun had always told him about the ‘conditions.’

 

 

 

“That’s right, you still got my number, don’t you?” BaekHyun questioned, slipping his hands into the pocket of his white coat. Kai nodded with a smile fixated on his face. He was happy to be able to bring his boyfriend out on a date again.

 

 

 

“Good, now go, time is precious, don’t waste it here.” BaekHyun chuckled and patted his back. Kai rushed off back to Luhan’s ward. They can finally head out again. Luhan was yearning for some fresh air, and view of the city lights.

 

 

 

 

-- 

 

 

 

Kai helped Luhan to adjust his beanie and held his hand. The sincerest smile was shown on Kai’s face. Kai stared at Luhan for a moment, admiring the beauty of his lover, before he leant in for a kiss. “Are we good to go?” Kai asked, pulling his lover’s hand into his and intertwining their fingers together.

 

 

 

Luhan jumped excitedly and exclaimed a ‘yes!’ A chuckle escaped Kai’s lips and they made their way out of the hospital, and to the city. Luhan heaved out a satisfying sigh, he was finally able to go out again. The hospital was just making him bored, it felt like he was in a jail or something, just a jail with a higher privilege of care from doctors and nurses.

 

 

 

 

They arrived at the mall, and decided on a night movie. Meanwhile, they just spent their time around the mall.

 

 

 

 

“It looks good on you.” Luhan picked out a brown sweater from the rack and placed it in front of Kai, judging how it would look on Kai.

 

 

 

 

“It would suit you too, love.” Kai laughed, as he took it from Luhan’s hand and placed it against Luhan’s body.

 

 

 

“Shall we get two of it?” Luhan suggested, looking up at Kai and flashing a wide smile.

 

 

 

“Couple sweater?” Kai grinned widely, earning a reply from Luhan, accompanied by a grin.

 

 

“Couple sweater.”

 

 

 

And they purchased it.

 

 

 

 

They then went to have some lunch, something at least Luhan could eat. Especially lean meat. Oh. How Luhan had missed the taste of the meat that wasn’t tasteless like those in the hospital. They talked about random things, and even talked about themselves.

 

 

 

 

“Remember how we met?” Kai asked, and took a sip of his water. Luhan nodded with a wide smile on his face. A beautiful way. They were both going through a heartbreak, and they were both drinking, right at Han river. How cliché. Sitting by the Han river and drinking? They both knew what each other was going through. They eventually talked about it, then made some jokes while drinking, finding out they lived in the same street. They walked home together, stumbling through their way, with a bottle of soju still in their hands.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“The irony that we met right when we got dumped, and we ended up together.” Luhan laughed it off, then placed his cold hands on top of Kai’s. “And remember the time when you confessed to me?” Luhan rubbed his thumb on the back of Kai’s hand.

 

 

 

 

 

“Back at the Han river. When we played a game to shout some confessions like I still peed in my pants at the age of 7.” Kai laughed. “and then the last confession, I shouted my love for you at the river. And when it was your turn, you shouted your love for me. And the next thing we know, our lips were connected already.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Kai…” Luhan his dry lips and shot Kai a smile.

 

 

 

 

 

The smile which Kai loved.

 

 

 

 

 

“I love you.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“I love you too, Luhan.”

 

 

 

 

 

--

 

 

 

“Kai, hurry! The movie is about to start hurry hurry!” Luhan pestered, as he pushed Kai gently and tried to get Kai to rush to the counter to purchase the chips and make it on time for the movie. They hate being late for movies, but they were shopping so much they had totally forgotten about the time.

 

 

 

 

 

“Okay, okay don’t push me now.” Kai laughed it off and fastened his pace, hand slipping down to lightly hold Luhan’s. They slightly ran towards the cinema. But there was something wrong.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Kai felt it.

 

 

 

 

 

But he didn’t know what it was.

 

 

 

 

 

Luhan’s grip on Kai’s hand was loosening, bit by bit.

 

 

 

 

 

Kai frowned at the thought of it, perhaps it was because he was running too fast. Perhaps he was hallucinating.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

He slowed down.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The grip slightly pulled Kai down.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The grip was no longer there.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Kai’s hand felt empty…

 

 

 

 

 

Thud.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Kai was afraid.

 

 

 

 

 

He didn’t want to turn around. But he had to.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“L-Luhan…” He slowly turned around, he was trembling, shaking.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Luhan was on the ground, blood flowed from his nose.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“No… no no no.” Kai kneeled down beside his lover's limp and still form. People were gathering to watch. But Kai couldn't care less.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Kai’s hand was trembling. He tried reaching for his phone and looked for BaekHyun’s number.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Pick up, pick up.” Kai’s hand was trembling, he was afraid. “Please…”

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Hello?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

“BaekHyun… It’s Luhan…” His voice was shaking.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

He choked on a sob.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“H-He fainted…”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Author's Note:

I deeply apologise for the ending of this chapter. I didn't want to do it too but- It's angst for a reason! Hah.

I hope you guys enjoyed and look forward the next chapter! I actually made a vote but honestly, Sekai was the most voted for the fanfic. Potter wanted LuKai though. So I wrote it. Anyways, I'm sorry Potter, I made a huge mistake. I'm dumb, I know. I'm sorryyyyy forgive me potter! 

Don't forget to subscribe to keep up to the updates of the fanfic, and don't forget to Upvote if you love the fanfic! 

 

 

Editor's Note:

OHMYGOSH ITS SO EPIC I WASNT EVEN BREATHING AT THE LAST PART, hope our dear Author-nim keep up with good work.

Note to author: you voted for *seesoo, not sekai. And keep up with this angst, i loved it. Its pretty much my style.

 

ps: don't forget to upvote, author deserves it <3

-Love, Editor nim <3