4.-

Ethereal Roses

 

Chapter 4

 

“MinSeok!” That was what the voice called out. As the figure got closer, JongDae recognised the black framed spectacled guy outside the coffee shop.

 

 

 

“Ah? It’s you!” JongDae widened his eyes slightly, shocked that the guy he had bumped into was actually right there, in the hospital.

 

 

 

Moreover, who is this guy who predicted that they would definitely see each other in the hospital?

 

 

 

The spectacled guy offered his hand to JongDae, smiling. “I’m Byun BaekHyun, the other assistant of Doctor Kim. I hope you recognise me, from the coffee shop incident.” The cheerful guy who introduced himself as BaekHyun gave JongDae a wide grin, as JongDae shook the latter’s hand.

 

 

 

 

“Ah- that was the reason-” JongDae was cut off by BaekHyun, “why I said we will meet in a few days? Yes!” BaekHyun chuckled proudly as if he already knew what JongDae was about to ask. “I already saw your profile and picture, and I was rushing to the clinic to help Suho- I mean Doctor Kim-” he cleared his throat, after he mentioned about the guardian part, then corrected himself.

 

 

 

 

Wait, Guardian?

 

 

 

 

“I had to help Doctor Kim so headed to the clinic as soon as I could. I was late because I was finding for a parking lot, I asked Doctor Kim to go ahead of me.” He laughed, as he continued. BaekHyun slightly rubbed his nape as he explained. He seemed to feel a little flustered after mentioning the word “Suho,” which literally meant guardian after it is being translated into English.

 

 

 

 

“MinSeok, you guys had breakfast, right? And you guys are proceeding to the venepuncture room now?” BaekHyun questioned, as he diverted his gaze to the latter. BaekHyun placed his slim fingers in the pocke oft white long coat he was wearing, as he flashed a smile. The white coat was a similar one to MinSeok and every other doctor, assistants or nurses in the hospital. MinSeok nodded in reply to BaekHyun’s question. JongDae guessed the two can be considered nurse as well.

 

 

 

 

JongDae sometimes still wondered why did he end up here, in the hospital. Moreover… JongDae looked at the both guys walking beside him. Why was he surrounded by good looking guys? These two could even pass off as a model like him-

 

 

 

 

JongDae stopped his tracks, with a sudden realisation-

 

 

 

 

 

It came to JongDae that his life could never be the same.

 

 

 

 

 

All the efforts and hard work he had put through the years had vanished in the blink of an eye.

 

 

 

 

 

He lost everything.

 

 

 

 

 

“JongDae?” The two assistants stared at the boy, who was lost in his thoughts. JongDae snapped back to reality and caught up with the two, hoping he had distracted himself from those deafening thoughts.

 

 

 

--

 

 

 

They arrived at the room after a good 4 minutes of walk. It felt like it was rather far. JongDae got to talk to BaekHyun a little before they reached the venepuncture room. JongDae had no idea what venepuncture room was about. They knocked the door, again, JoonMyun was already in the room beforehand.

 

 

 

 

“BaekHyun! I see you met JongDae again.” JoonMyun chuckled at the sight of the two. “What am I saying, you guys would be meeting every time from now on.” JoonMyun slightly shook his head at his own joke, that he himself deemed as a boring one.

 

 

 

“JongDae managed to recognise me!” BaekHyun exclaimed, as he entered the room and sat beside JoonMyun. BaekHyun seemed to be closer to JoonMyun as compared to Minseok, or perhaps it was just BaekHyun’s outgoing personality. JongDae decided that he would ask BaekHyun or MinSeok sooner or later.

 

 

 

 

“That’s good for you then. He didn’t recognise me at all.” JoonMyun said as he laughed it off. “Well, did you eat much, JongDae?” JoonMyun turned to JongDae, as he tapped his pen on the table. JongDae deduced it as a habit of most doctors; which is either drumming fingers on the table or tapping their pen.

 

 

 

 

MinSeok answered for JongDae; which could possibly be considered as a more trusted answer since MinSeok was told to watch JongDae and his eating habits, and of course, another reason was that MinSeok was JoonMyun’s assistant. “He ate slightly lesser than I did, which means he ate pretty much…” MinSeok chuckled. It definitely seemed like MinSeok had great appetite. Especially with those chubby cheeks of his.

 

 

 

 

“That’s good!” JoonMyun clasped his hands together and grinned before he stood up. “Let’s get to work, shall we?” JoonMyun began, as he adjusted his coat a little. He then took the latex gloves and started to put them on. JongDae stared at the gloves. He then glanced at the table. Vacutainer, medical adhesive tape, alcohol wipes, and a tourniquet. He then realised what was the next test he would have to do. He heard a snap of the latex glove after JoonMyun had put it on. He swallowed the lump that had somehow risen in his throat.

 

 

 

 

Something JongDae feared: drawing blood. He never experienced it, but he heard it was a rather scary process.

 

 

 

“Straighten your arms, JongDae.” He heard JoonMyun say. Baekhyun saw the look on JongDae’s face and recognised the emotions immediately. Baekhyun then chuckled.

 

 

 

 

“Hey, calm down, there’s no need to be scared!” JongDae looked at BaekHyun, still feeling tensed, even though Baekhyun told him not to. “Just relax, it’ll just hurt only a teeny bit, I promise.” Baekhyun continued, as he tried his best to calm JongDae down. JongDae exhaled and slightly nodded as a reply to Baekhyun. He slowly extended his arms out...

 

 

 

“What Baekhyun said is right, it wouldn’t hurt much.” JoonMyun continued, as he wrapped the tourniquet around JongDae’s right upper arm. “Just relax, it’ll be over soon.” JongDae nodded. He wasn’t easy to fool like the kid back in the children’s ward. They would just go with the truth.

 

 

 

 

“Now, JongDae, I need you to make a fist,” JoonMyun mumbled, loud enough for JongDae to hear. He obliged and clutched his hands into a fist. JoonMyun then managed to trace a vein on JongDae’s arm and took an alcohol wipe to wipe the area with a circular motion. He then threw the wipe way.

 

 

 

 

JoonMyun then picked up the needle and inspected it closely to look for defects and was glad not to have found one. He threaded the needle to the holder then inserted the vacutainer into the holder. The process took him almost 30 seconds, just about time to draw the blood.

 

 

 

 

JongDae looked nervous, but he knew that he had to do it. JoonMyun grasped JongDae’s arm and used his thumb to pull down the puncture site, and he lined up the needle with the vein. JoonMyun looked up at JongDae slightly, who was closing his eyes. Totally not anticipating the needle up his arm.

 

 

 

 

“It’s going to sting a little, but don’t move,” JoonMyun stated as he gently inserted the needle through the skin and into the vein. Then, he pushed the vacutainer towards the holder. The blood slowly flowed into the vacutainer. JongDae was biting his lips, hoping not to make any sound, or trying not to wince as he felt the needle through his skin.

 

 

 

 

Once the amount of blood was adequate, JoonMyun removed the vacutainer, as MinSeok helped to remove the tourniquet. JoonMyun gently inverted the tube for about 8 times, then took a gauze and gently removed the needle, immediately replacing the puncture hole with the gauze and asking JongDae to apply pressure on the gauze.

 

 

 

 

JoonMyun discarded the needle after activating the safety feature of it, in the sharps container. Then he looked at Jongdae and studied his expression. “We’re done now, did it hurt?” JoonMyun asked, and chuckled softly before lifting the gauze slightly to check if JongDae had stopped bleeding. He then took the medical adhesive tape and taped the gauze onto JongDae’s arm.

 

 

 

“No, not really, it just stung a little,” JongDae mumbled, as he watched JoonMyun’s action. “Told you it won't hurt.” BaekHyun chuckled, as he rested his head on his arm, which was propped up by the table while he was sitting down. JongDae rolled his eyes jokingly, as a chuckle also escaped his lips. “It was my first time after all,” JongDae mentioned.

 

 

 

 

“You did a great job, really.” MinSeok complimented, as he pasted a label on the vacutainer that contained JongDae’s blood. That label contained JongDae’s information as a patient. “Although you were scared, you bravely faced it.” MinSeok chuckled, placing the tube on the tube rack.

 

 

 

“Speaking about bravery-” JoonMyun chuckled, taking his gloves off to dispose them.“Doctor Lee told me you signed the agreement letter without a doubt,” JoonMyun mentioned as he looked at JongDae with a smile after washing his hands clean.

 

 

 

JongDae was slightly flustered about how his previous doctor had spoken about him, he stuttered in his sentence as he claimed that he wasn’t brave. “Well, most patients were afraid to place trust on another doctor. But you acted bravely in every action, that’s the best type of patient a doctor can have.” Baekhyun chuckled, as he stood up from his seat. “And right, about that gauze, you can take it off within about another 10 minutes,” JoonMyun stated, as he gazed at JongDae.

 

 

 

“I’ll come by your ward after I am done with some stuff. As my patient, I ought to know more about you.” JoonMyun chuckled, before waving a little as BaekHyun walked out with JongDae, leaving MinSeok and JoonMyun together in the venepuncture room.

 

 

 

 

“So, JongDae. What do you think about Su- JoonMyun?” Baekhyun asked as he walked through the hallway with JongDae.

 

 

 

“Well, he’s a really kind person, and he’s serious about his work. Determined… Charming… there’s so much about him.” JongDae mentioned as he eyed the gauze on his right arm, his dry lips as he thought about the feeling of the needle entering his skin again.

 

 

 

He slightly shuddered at it. Never again would he want a needle up his arms again. It felt like something foreign was in your body and it felt odd. Just too out of place.

 

 

 

 

“You seem like you admire JoonMyun a lot.” Baekhyun smiled and continued walking. “He asked me to assist him a week back, and he told me about you being his patient. You know, I was so excited to be his assistant, even though I’m also assisting another doctor in the hospital.” BaekHyun continued, slightly shrugging at what he said. “JoonMyun is one of the most well-known doctor in this hospital and he’s got many admirers, especially within the girl nurses.” Baekhyun laughed softly.

 

 

 

They walked past a guy that eyed Baekhyun with a smile. That guy was pretty tall, dark skinned with smooth hair. Wearing some sort of oversized dress shirt. He was kind of fashion-forward. The guy bowed slightly at Baekhyun. And Baekhyun smiled, bowing back slightly as the guy walked past, entering the ward that was beside JongDae’s. The dark skinned boy was carrying a bouquet of fresh flowers in his arms. Definitely, he was about to visit someone.

 

 

 

 

“That was Kai,” Baekhyun mentioned, as they entered JongDae’s ward. “He’s the lover of my other patient.” JongDae listened attentively, as he took a seat on the chair with Baekhyun. “Kai always brings fresh flowers to his lover.” Baekhyun softly sighed and shook his head at the thought of it, softly drumming his fingers on the armrest. “And no matter how tired Kai is, he never fails to visit his lover every single day.”

 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun nervously his lips, then he messed up his hair slightly, feeling emotional as he spoke.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“His lover… is diagnosed with brain tumour, and he have only 12 to 15 months to live.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

Author's note: 

Apologies for the extremely late update. I've been busy for the week and barely had the time to write. Semester two is really something, geez. I'm so tired and I've been spending most of the day trying to complete this. Seems like the mysterious person is revealed and it was pretty unexpected? 

 

And sorry again, if the chapter is boring and mostly focused on action. Wondering who Kai's lover is? Stay tuned to find out! Oh my god, I'm introducing a character at every chapter. And I'll have a side story of Kai and his lover in this fanfic. //Thanks to you, co-author. sighs. 

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this chapter equally as the others! A lot of you had been asking me about the mysterious person anyway. It was fun trying to make all of you guess. Some of you actually guessed it was Kyungsoo! Hehe. Stay tuned for more cliffhangers and exciting adventures with Suchen! wink wink 

And don't forget to comment, subscribe and upvote if you liked it! 

 

AND!! Special thanks to Yukio (you know who you are, Jo.) for helping me with the fanfic after class! It really helped me a lot! 

 

 

LAST BUT NOT LEAST, THANK YOU GUYS FOR 30 SUBSCRIBERS, IT MEANT SO MUCH TO ME TO HAVE SO MANY SUBSCRIBERS AND IT GIVES ME THE MOTIVATION TO KEEP WRITING!

 

LOVE YOU GUYS LOTS <3 

 

 

Editor's Note:

I think that this update is awesome, owing to all the medical terminologies which just zoomed over my head.

And yes, side story was my idea and dear mr author, dont mention if you just want to sigh in my face

Hope you guys liked it 

Because author really is working his off for this fanfic, I've never seen someone being so whiny but also recklessly hard working for something like this fanfic XD 

Hope you guys will anticipate his hard work

-Love, Editor nim <3