Holiday Mishap

Family is Not Just Blood (A Chanbaek Family Drabble Book)

A/N: This was longer than I expected… Well… I hope you like it? I’m a few days late but who cares?

 

Ages/Characters:

 

The Byun-Park’s:

Chanyeol: 36

Baekhyun: 37

Yifan: 12

Yixing: 11

Jongdae: 10

Minseok (Minsoon): 7

 

The Do-Kim’s:

Junmyeon: 38

Kyungsoo: 36

Jongin: 9

Sehun: 9

 

The Lu’s:

Luhan: 38

Zitao: 8

 

~

 

“Deck the halls with boughs of holly, fa la la la la la la la la la!

‘Tis the season to be jolly, fa la la la la la la la la!”

The beautiful voice of a certain Byun Baekhyun carries throughout the air as he hung yard upon yard of garland on the ceiling. Soon after him, the four tiny voices belonging to his children join in the melody as they help their father decorate the halls with an assortment of holly, wreaths, candy canes, and much more. As time passes, their home begins to resemble a winter wonderland, rather than a middle-class suburban home.

“Don we now our gay apparel, fa la la la la la la la!

Troll the ancient Yuletide carol, fa la la la la la la la!”

Suddenly, the door bursts open, revealing a lanky figure covered in snow. “Deck the halls!!! Ho ho ho!!!” There, in all his glory, is the one and only Park Chanyeol, the obvious sunshine and goof of this home.

The children, clearly surprised by the sudden appearance of their dad, as he was supposed to be at work, almost drop their decorations. After the novelty of his arrival wears off, a particular seven-year-old and her ten-year-old brother stomp their feet and cross their arms, jutting their bottom lip as emphasize. In unison, they sighed (read: whine), “Dad! The song goes ‘follow me in merry measure, fa la la la la la la la,’ not ‘deck the halls, ho ho ho!’”

Feigning a surprised countenance for his children’s sake, Chanyeol gasps, “It does not?”

All of his kids, including Yifan (whom of which said that ‘Christmas isn’t my style!’), shake their heads at their dad’s cluelessness, with most of the children laughing alongside each other. As his siblings giggle away, Yifan holds a stone poker face, with the exception of his lips curling up towards the ends. “Oh, my bad!”

Suddenly, a warm pair of arms wraps around Chanyeol’s waist with a soft pair of lips pressing against his shoulder blade. “Welcome home, the party starts soon.”

Chanyeol nods as he switches their positions. Now, Chanyeol is behind Baekhyun with his arms snug around his husband’s waist. He sneaks a kiss on his forehead, hyper-aware of the fact that his kids are in the vicinity and their hatred of PDA. Seeing that they drifted their attention to decorating once again, Chanyeol leans in to gift his husband a sweet peck on the lips. Baekhyun meets him halfway, cueing an array of fireworks and butterflies to appear in both males’ stomachs. Despite the fact that they have been married for over 14 years now, their love for each other never seemed to cease.

Chanyeol breaks away first and returns to embracing his love from behind. “So, how much time do we have left?”

Baekhyun leans towards his right to take a glance towards the digital clock sitting on the kitchen island. “About 2 hours. You still have a lot to do mister and I have to finish decorating.”

Out of nowhere, a tiny voice squeaks, “How about us, Papa? We are decorating too!”

“Excuse me, I mean we still have to finish decorating.” Gesturing to their multiple helpers.

Chanyeol gives a jolly laugh before releasing his husband to fulfill his duties. Yet not before sneaking one more kiss upon his husband’s delicious lips. A plethora of ‘
EWWW!’s soon follow

~

The clock strikes five when all of the guests arrive. And I mean all of them. Although the Byun-Park’s are a well-known family in the neighborhood, they were great friends with only two other families: the Do-Kim’s and the Lu’s.

The Do-Kim’s, overall, are a lovely family of four. First, there is Kim Junmyeon; a jovial man that seemed to have a stash of unlimited lame jokes and money up his sleeves, much to his husband’s and children’s annoyance. As well as a valued family friend, Junmyeon is Baekhyun's editor. His husband, Do Kyungsoo, is a kind-hearted person. Yet if you mess with his loved ones, you are in for something that can only be compared to demonic or satanic rage. Last, but not least, are the fraternal twins, Jongin and Sehun. Upon first glance, they seem harmless and, overall, angelic children. Yet when a blanket of familiarity and comfort is laid upon these particular 9-year-olds, it seems as though they are different people; playing a prank upon prank with Jongdae and, occasionally, Zitao.

Lu Zitao lives with his father, Han; whom of which preferred to be called ‘Luhan’ for the sake of simplicity. Luhan is a capable father, contrary to popular belief. His income alone can sustain a family of four and his hours allow him to spend much of the day with his son. Zitao did not mind that he didn’t have a second parent. To him, all he needs is his Daddy and everything will be alright.

The poor door suddenly bursts open, revealing both of the families. “Happy holidays!” Yelled Junmyeon and Luhan. Then, everyone gathers in the hall to greet each other. Chanyeol hugs Luhan then Junmyeon before conversing on the recent happenings of their lives. Baekhyun and Kyungsoo start to talk about their recent interests in who-knows-what. Jongdae and Minsoon ran straight to the twins with bright smiles present on their face while Yifan and Yixing calmly stride their way to Zitao.

The multiple conversations create an extremely loud environment, full of boisterous laughter, yelling, and smiles. After a few minutes, Baekhyun halts his conversation with Kyungsoo to turn to the children. “Kids, go upstairs.” Everyone in the 
vicinity over 25 can tell that Baekhyun wants to get rid of the kids in order to tell Kyungsoo about the juicy details of their average lives. Without a doubt, the kids follow Baekhyun’s orders because they were too busy in their own conversation to actually process the scene.

When they disappear upstairs, Baekhyun turns to the rest of the adults. “You won’t believe what happened with Taeyeon and 
I-”

~

The children end up in Yifan and Yixing’s room due to the fact it was the largest. (“Why do the hyungs get the larger room?”). The twins jump on Yifan’s bed, following Jongdae and Minsoon. On the other hand, the other group of kids gathers together on Yixing’s bed, with Zitao clinging to Yifan’s side while gripping Yixing’s hand. A few seconds passed before Jongdae declares, “I’m bored.”

Grunts of agreement follow. “What do you want to do?” Everyone shrugs their shoulders.

Suddenly, Minsoon’s eyes light up. “I want to sing.”

“I have a better idea,” Jongin butts in, “How about we start a band thingy. Like that group on the radio all the time. I think their name’s 
Eggso?”

No one seems to argue with Jongin’s idea. It seems as though everyone liked that band. I mean, they were pretty popular, considering the fact that their parents play it on the stupid radio every single day of their lives since the group’s debut. “Why not?”

~

“-and she didn’t do her job right. Who can mess up putting coffee in a cup?” Downstairs, the adults are discussing a various number of things ranging from their incompetent coworkers to their lives behind closed doors, if you know what I mean.

An hour passed since the kids disappeared upstairs doing whatever kids do during a party. During this time, the adults seem to enjoy themselves. Without the presence of their children, they can finally let loose.

Out of nowhere, the lights shut off. A few moments pass before they turned back on, revealing all seven kids in tin-foil, glitter, and snapbacks? “ARE YOU READY!”

Then, what appeared to be Yifan, clicked a button on an iPod (“Where did he get that? He doesn’t even own one.”). After a few seconds, “History” by EXO starts to play.

“Listen, 
neukkil su inni?
Nae simjangi
ttwijireul anha-”

The seven children dance along to the song with somewhat choreographed moves, attempting to stay in tune. It is downright adorable. Each child has their hair slathered in gel and glitter, yet a great portion of their head is concealed by a snapback. Along with tin foil, each child wore a pair of sweatpants with, guess what, more glitter. It was comical, especially Minsoon, whom of which is wearing her brother’s shirt and sweatpants. This left the adults with a gobsmacked expression. No one moves until the song finished.

When the next song, “Wolf”, starts to play, Baekhyun and his husband decide to break from their trance. A grin from Chanyeol and a devilish glint in Baekhyun’s eyes told everyone in the room what they are about to do. Without hesitation, the parents of four join in on the fun, dancing and singing along with the children in clumsy footwork and off-tune singing.

“Geurae Wolf 
naega Wolf awoo
(Ah saranghaeyo) nan neukdaego neon minyeo!”

~

The night continues on with the songs “Mama”, “Growl”, and even “Overdose”. The rest of the adults just stand there, completely frozen. It took a couple of songs before they loosen up and join in on the festivities.

Let’s just say that the next morning, multiple neighbors file a sound complaint against the Byun-Park’s and it took a few days to clean the mess of glitter.

[“It could have been worse”

“Will you shut your mouth and start cleaning the place?!”]

 

~

 

A/N:

 

I did not edit this... Oops??? Anyway...

 

Tootles!