2009 (II)

Every Christmas

"Who? Is it a gir... Eun Ha? Is that you, Eun Ha?"
"Appa!" The girl yelled as she ran into Uncle Jang's embrace.
It was a beautiful sight to witness. Even though they rarely saw each other, it seemed like their hearts were connected. It lead me to ponder about my own relationship with mom and dad. When was the last time I hugged them? 
"Hey Kim Junmyeon! Did you hit on my daughter? Why did you bring her home?"
"Uncle! How ungrateful! I brought your daughter back for you, alright!"
Uncle Jang laughed it off and prepared dinner with Eun Ha. 
Usually, Uncle Jang is not allowed to sit at the dinner table with me. But when my parents are not around, I'd ask him to do it. It's just was too lonely to eat alone at such a huge dining table, moreover, Uncle Jang is like family to me. And that day, Eun Ha joined us.
"Kim Junmyeon! Do you remember in 10th grade you called me 'little nerd'?" 
I was surprised at the fact that Eun Ha remembered something from so long ago. I thought I was the only one that remembered.
"No wonder you're single." Uncle Jang added.
"Uncle!!!" I exclaimed with a mouth full of rice.
The dinner table was full of chatter and laughter, until Eun Ha's phone rang.
"Hello?"
...
"I'm... out"
...
"I had a group project."
...
"I'm eating ouside, you can tell Aunty Park not to prepare extra food for me."
...
"Alright alright I'll be back early."
...
"Bye!"
Eun Ha jolted up from her seat and started packing right after the call.
"Who was that?" Uncle Jang asked.
"It was Park Chan Yeol. He needs help with his homework." Eun Ha replied as she continue packing frantically.
Uncle Jang let out a sigh, "That kid needs to be more independent! How am I supposed to allow you to marry him if he can't even do his own work?"
"DAD!"
Well, as much as I'm not supposed to, I am really affected by what Uncle Jang said. 
That night, I stayed awake imagining things I should never imagine. Like Eun Ha getting married with Park Chan Yeol and... me wrecking their wedding...
Oh well.


The following day, we stayed after school again to do the group project. A few hours into the meeting, everyone got hungry. And guess whose good idea was it to get Eun Ha and I to go get dinner for everyone. Thanks Min Seok, thanks.
Eun Ha and I travelled to the ground floor and just as we were about to leave the school compound, Park Chan Yeol the tyrant stood before us. His aura was unexplainable. All I could remember was that he was scary.

"Where are you going?" He asked Eun Ha, completely ignoring my existence.
"Getting dinner. Go home, Yeol."
"With this nerdy ? Are you serious? You didn't come back for dinner last night. And today you are eating with this weirdo?" Park Chan Yeol said with furrowed brows.
"Yeol, he is no weirdo. Our groupmates are still waiting for us."
"I'll be waiting for you until your group work ends."

Eun Ha did not reply and walked away and I followed suit.

"Eun-"
"Don't mind Yeol, he's a little hot tempered, a little overprotective but he's really caring. And he truly loves me." Eun Ha said in a genuine tone.
"You are... dating Park Chan Yeol?"
"Yeah... As surprising as it sounds, we may have known each other since forever but we only started dating last Christmas."
"Christmas..." I mumbled to myself and it reminded me of all the special moments I had with Eun Ha. The special encounters that only I remember. While on the other hand, Eun Ha has her own special moments on Christmas...just not with me.

 


We went back to school with food and continued with the meeting. A while later, Eun Ha went to the restroom while the rest of us discussed. I wasn't sure if it was just me or time passed so slowly when Eun Ha was in the washroom, that got me worried. So I got up from my seat and 'went to the washroom' as well. As I was walking down the hallway, I heard Park Chan Yeol's voice coming from a nearby classroom.

"Eun Ha ah, I need this done by tomorrow morning."
"What? Yeol, I'm not a machine."

I inched nearer to the classroom and crouched behind the wall, peeking through the window. 

"Why not I teach you?"
"But Eun Ha, it's too difficult."

Just as I stretched to see them, I made eye contact with Park Chan Yeol. I regretted. And it's true what they say, curiosity kills the cat.

"Eun Ha yah, you know that I love you right?" Park Chan Yeol said, as he leaned in to kiss Eun Ha. I sighed as I decided not to watch it and went back to my groupmates.