2009 (I)

Every Christmas

Christmas came early for me that year. Well... I meant... Jang Eun Ha spoke to me. 
After winter break, the most cliché thing happened to me. The top 3 male and top 3 female students in my school were grouped together for an annual national high school innovation challenge. Yep! You guessed it! Jang Eun Ha was in the group. So was I. And of course, my best bros Min Seok and Kyung Soo. And just for your information, Kang Seul Gi and Jung Soo Jung were in the group as well. And obviously, Min Seok and Kyung Soo were more excited than I was. Excitedly mocking me.
After school, we would stay behind to brainstorm for the project. Well, of course that's not the main thing. At least not for me. I always had my eyes and ears fixed on Jang Eun Ha. It felt as if my world stopped everytime she spoke. Is that strange? Well... that's probably why I had no memory of what exactly we discussed about. 
Oh yes... there was this one time... Min Seok and Kyung Soo asked the girls out for dinner and left the 2 of us alone to brainstorm while they turned off their phone. Up till today, I have no idea what they did, but this is my side of the story...
We sat in the classroom waiting until we both received the same text, respectively from Kang Seul Gi and Kyung Soo. The message read, 'We're going to get food and we may not be coming back! Enjoy!' And all their phones were turned off. That left Eun Ha and I with no choice but to stay together until 8pm. 
"So... are you hungry?" I asked.
"Nope! I think we should brainstorm!" 
"Umm... how do you usually go home?"
"Subway." She replied smiling, but I felt the hint of sadness in her speech.
"Actually... How often do you get to see Uncle Jang?"
I asked, not expecting a reply. There was a moment of silence until she spoke.
"Rarely. I live alone in a small apartment beside Park Chan Yeol's. I lost my mom when I was 6. But I always saw Aunty Park as my own mom." She said it in a serious tone which was not like her usual self.
"Hey Jang Eun Ha, I'm sorry."
"Nope! It's been 10 years, man! It doesn't hurt me anymore! Umm... but aren't you pretty sad as well? I'm sure you don't get to spend much time with your parents."
I thought to myself as I realised... she was right. I didn't spend much time with mom and dad. And it was amazing how she has so much compassion for me even when she lacked so much than I did.
"Hey Jang... can I just call you Eun Ha? Well, Uncle Jang is just like my dad so I'm sorry I bother him alot! But he tells me alot about you! He especially told me not to hit on his daughter." I smiled as I shared with her the funniest moments I shared with Uncle Jang. Like that time I added extra chilli powder into his ramyun and he added extra chilli sauce in my mandu on New Year's day. 
That day, I dragged Eun Ha home to meet Uncle Jang. Eun Ha was reluctant at the start, but she probably missed her dad alot. On the car, she greeted Mr Park whom she probably only met once a year... which is as often as meeting her own dad. Mr Park was glad to see her. Although he tried hard not to show it, he tried to ask her indirect questions for her to link to Park Chan Yeol. 
"Uncle! Look who I brought!" I yelled as I entered my house.