1999

Every Christmas

I always loved Christmas. Especially as a kid, I always looked forward to that Christmas party every year. I loved the food, the atmosphere and all the other kids from the wealthy families that I may never meet but only during Christmas.
I was born into a rather well off family. I lived in a mansion with my parents, a butler who I referred to as Uncle Jang, a chauffeur and a few servants. My dad was the only heir to my grandpa's food chain business company, the Kim Corporation. Every Christmas, a party would be held at the company's function hall. Everyone in the company and their family members were invited. Including business partners. Oh... and also the family members of the servants in my house.
Being an 8 year old kid, an only child, in a rich family with a well established business, my mom made me take a bunch of classes at a young age just to 'prepare' me for the future... to be an intelligent business man...
Well I coped well of course, but... yeah about the classes...they kinda turned me into a nerdy, wimpy little 8 year old child. I didn't hang out with other kids much but when I do, I spoke about books, music and video games that others couldn't afford.
I don't think I can ever forget that 1999 Christmas when I first met her. Jang Eun Ha.
That Christmas, I was minding my own business and playing with my new toy. Until this kid came to me and took my toy away. Well he looked pretty intimidating, towering over me and with that demanding look, I couldn't not give it to him. Honestly, I was pretty chill about it, and I was pretty sure dad would have gotten me a new one. But little did I know, that this girl with pretty, sparkly eyes, slightly shorter than that bully, ran over, screaming,
"Park Chan Yeol! Don't be a sore loser! The rest are still waiting for you to restart the game!"
At that moment, I knew that this bully's name is called Park Chan Yeol. And I shall remember it forever. Park Chan Yeol was back facing the girl while fiddling with the new toy in his hands. The girl tip-toed and peered over his shoulders, and saw what distracted Park Chanyeol from her ear piercing voice.
"Where did you get this from? I'm gonna tell Uncle Park if you are gonna ignore me like this!" She yelled at him as she punched him on the back.
I awkwardly stepped forward and said to the two, "Uhh the toy is mine. Well you can borrow it, for sure, but if you want it I may have to ask my mom..."
"Shut up kid, I found it on the ground." He pushed me away with this strong force that the 8 year old me felt threatened by.
The girl came and stood in front of me, facing Park Chan Yeol.
"Try to get pass me first before you touch this guy. He kindly lent you his expensive toy and you are being so rude to him? That's not nice!"
At that moment it felt as if princess charming came to save me from a monster.
"Give it or I'll tell Uncle Park!"
He eventually gave up and handed the toy to her. He stormed off and never turned back. She then turned to me and when I least expected it, she said to me, "Stand up for yourself, kid. It's not everytime that someone can stand up for you. Don't wait for others to come and help you. Learn some independence." She passed me my toy and she ran towards the direction big bully went to. I continued to stand there in a daze, replaying the whole scene. All I could think of was... well, she had pretty eyes.
And that, was my 1999, 25 December night.