3. Sweet Surprise (Jaeyong)

Christmas with NCT (2016)

Taeyong’s palm grew sweaty as he waited nervously at the dorm. He had double checked—triple checked, even—that everything was prepared perfectly until Jaehyun’s arrival in about ten minutes. The lights on the Christmas tree is on, the music is already playing and food is already served on the table. Taeyong then reached to his coat pocket, feeling the hard surface of his present for Jaehyun. A blush settled on his cheek and he let out a shaky breath to ease his nerves. Footsteps could be heard outside and then the door knob turned, sending Taeyong into a new round of nervousness.  

“I’m back! I got the wine you wanted and they even had these lovely glasses as a free gift!” Jaehyun’s bright and cheerful voice rang through the hallway as he walked right into the kitchen, setting down the bags.

Taeyong was seated on the couch, too anxious to speak. It was only until Jaehyun faced Taeyong and gave his boyfriend a questioning look that threw Taeyong off his trance.’

Get it together, Taeyong! You’ve been preparing this for a week now, you can’t mess it up!

“U-Um, can you come over here Jae? I have something for you.” Taeyong managed to say.

Jaehyun grinned a little.

“Why so rushed? I thought the gift exchange is after dinner?” He asked, but making his way to seat next to Taeyong anyway. The difference in their usual schedule is making Jaehyun a little excited.

“Oh!” Taeyong exclaimed, realizing his mistake. He had been so focused on this he totally forgot about dinner. “I mean, yeah, if you’re hungry we can eat first haha. It can wait.”

Jaeyong gave him a suspicious glance, leaning his face closer to a very edgy Taeyong.

“You’re being suspicious. What is it?”

Surprised by the sudden closeness, Taeyong backed away slightly, shaking his head. “Nothing’s wrong! Come, let’s go have something to eat.”

He was about to get off the couch when a hand wrapped around his wrist and forced him to seat back down on the sofa.

“Something’s definitely up. Come on, give it to me.” Jaehyun said, putting out his hand in front of Taeyong.

Taeyong gulped and figured that Jaehyun was probably never going to let him go until he gives in so he reached into his pocket and pulled out a carefully wrapped gift. He had asked Doyoung for wrapping advice and he could only hope Jaehyun liked what he had installed for him. Jaehyun glanced at the present before looking back at his boyfriend.

“Can I open it?”

Taeyong managed a small nod and Jaehyun hurriedly moved to tear the paper off, excited to see what his boyfriend had gotten him. As he got rid of the wrap, a blue coloured box was revealed and Jaehyun hurriedly opened it, only to be met with another wrapped box.

“Is this some kind of a joke?” Jaehyun glared at Taeyong, who was obviously anticipating his boyfriend’s reaction. Jaehyun’s annoyance surprised Taeyong at first but then he realized it was probably a bad idea to have something this important wrapped in such a manner. And also the fact that he got this idea from Doyoung didn’t help either.

Jaehyun sighed and continued unwrapping the gift, seeing another blue box and opening to find yet another smaller wrapped box.

“I swear to god if there is nothing in here I’m giving Doyoung the silent treatment for the whole of next year.”

Taeyong raised a brow in surprise.

“Wait, how did you know it was Doyoung?”

“Do you really think I’m that stupid, Tae? No one else would even think up of such an idiotic and un-romantic way to gift wrap a present.” Jaehyun retorted.

Taeyong suddenly became disappointed. He had totally ruined the mood he wanted because of some gift unwrapping. It wasn’t until the last box that things took an unexpected turn.

Jaehyun was now holding a little blue box just slightly smaller than his palm, and he was silent.

Oh , could this be—?

Before Jaehyun could ask anything, Taeyong was already on one knee in front of Jaehyun. Jaehyun’s lips parted at the scene.

“I know it was kind of stupid of me to ask Doyoung for any ideas but I was too nervous about this and Doyoung managed to convince me into doing this. Forgive me if it was unromantic but I really hope you like my gift for you. I’m not good with words but here goes,”

Taeyong gently held Jaehyun’s hands, looking right into his eyes.

“When we first met I never would have thought you would become such an important person in my life. Even though you’re two years younger than me, you helped me through my hardest moments in life and I never stopped appreciating you for that. You loved me for who I am, accepting my flaws and imperfections and helped me grow as a better person. I’m not a wonderful guy, I know that, but I’m grateful every day that you’re here by my side and I know I could get through anything with you around. I promise to work harder to make you happy and I hope this promise ring would be a symbol of my love for you, and also a sign that we’ll always be happy together, forever.”

Taeyong took the box from Jaehyun, opening it to reveal a simple yet elegant ring. He looked at Jaehyun with anticipation.

“Oh, it’s just a promise ring. I thought you were proposing to me.” Jaehyun laughed, but looking at Taeyong with the gentlest look in his eye.

“I don’t think I’ll ask Doyoung for ideas if I were going to do that.” Taeyong joked. “So, what do you say about this?”

Jaehyun smiled brightly. “Of course I’ll accept it, dummy. Though I will have to say your little speech back there was really sweet. I regret not recording it.”

Taeyong blushed. “Oh my gosh, don’t even think about that!”

Jaehyun let out another laugh before putting out his left hand. “Are you going to put that ring on me or do I have to do it myself?”

“Of course I’m putting it on for you!” Taeyong exclaimed, taking out the ring and pushing it into Jaehyun’s left ring.

Jaehyun lifted his hand up, admiring the way the ring shone under the Christmas lights. It was certainly breath-taking and Jaehyun didn’t know if it was possible to love a person even more than he already does.

“Now that this is over, should we get some dinner?” Taeyong asked, standing out and extending a hand out for Jaehyun to take.

A cheeky grin formed on Jaehyun’s face as he took his boyfriend’s hand but leading him in the opposite direction to the bedroom.

“I have a better idea, babe. It’s my turn to give you your Christmas present.”