Chapter 4

Are you human too?

Chanyeol POV

 

 

 

 

A shower he says... I wish I had shower. I show my frustrated face at the long blades of grass we pass rather than directing it towards the almost equally irritated kitten sitting next to me.

 

We’ve been in the car for about half an hour and I still don’t recog- nize where we are as the car heads into what gradually becomes a bland countryside. I hope time passes quicker than this or I’ll actually die of boredom. Phone games would be really great right about now. After a few minutes of mourning technology, my road trip buddy decides to speak up.

 

“So...” Baekhyun turns his head ever so slightly toward my side of the car, I hold back the urge to glare at him.

 

Is the Byun Baekhyun trying to start a conversation with me? I click my tongue.

 

“Why do you know my name again?” he decides to ask of all questions.

 

With his words, my whole body tenses. What do I say? I can’t really tell him the truth, it’d be awkward. Wouldn’t it?

 

“We go... well I guess went to the same school.” I explain slowly.

 

At least I’m telling part of the truth. He doesn’t seem to notice that I didn’t give a clear answer. Safe.

 

Baekhyun actually seems a bit relieved. The way his eyes light up and small ears perk up against his hair makes my chest warm. Cute... I think without realizing. We talk about school for ages. He seems so happy exchanging stories about Jonghyun and Key. Always so intent and concentrated on what I was saying. I tell him all about Key because he seems so enthralled in whatever I say. He’s a great listener, no wonder he’s popular. Then he laughs. Tilting his head back with a huge, warm grin on his face. I notice how perfect his teeth are, aligned and un- stained. He could be a toothpaste model or something... also I think I really like the way his hair looks when it tilts back with his head. No wonder girls like him. Various thoughts pass through my mind. Baekhyun’s surprisingly sweet and addicting laugh has me joining in.

 

We could’ve spent part of our school life together... The sad thought in the back of my mind slowly fades as I realize the boy I’ve been curious about seems to be opening up ever so slightly. He’s not as much of a prick as I had thought.

 

“You’re pretty funny, Chan.” he says, chuckling.

 

I blush slightly at the compliment which immediately dissipates by the shock of my new nickname. Chan? He called me Chan? Is this because of the Key story? I don’t mind it but...

 

I want to call him something fun too, I guess.

 

“If you call me Chan then you have to let me call you Baek.” I demand, intent on getting him to agree.

 

“No.” Baekhyun states with strong certitude, as he plays with the stem of his apple.

 

A bit of disappointment falls through my body.

 

“Why.” I insist. I want us to be even.

 

“Because.” replies the stubborn cat with a simple and unchanging tone.

 

He continues to try various excuses which work to no prevail.

 

“I’m still calling you Baek.” Concluding that I’m gonna keep the nickname I take a deep breath.

 

Even if he doesn’t call me Chan, the nickname sounds too cute to throw away. It even rolls off the tip of my tongue quite nicely.

 

“Whatever.” The cat boy gives up and huffs out the window.

 

Throughout the car ride I notice things about Baek that I hadn’t seen before. His complexion is so smooth and pale now... Although it looks pretty I can’t help but worry about his health. Is he really alright? I also noticed how his eyes became more like a cat’s, a sparkling diamond sitting center in each of his pupils. Not to mention the light-bluish tint consuming his iris and bleeding softly into the whites of his eyes. He even has small fangs replacing the spaces his dull canines had once filled.

 

“You have cat eyes.” I point out of the blue, looking at the back of his snowy hair.

 

He turns to meet my eyes and hums.


“Is that so?” I nod in response.


“You’ve got those big puppy eyes too, y’know.” Baekhyun says with a gentle smile on his face.

 

I wonder if they’re any different from before.

 

“And some fangs.” he adds, squinting to get a better look at the protruding tooth resting outside my mouth.

 

“You do too, Baek.” I say, poking his bottom lip. I noticed his fangs when he first opened up to bite into the apple, they look just like a cat’s.

 

“Really?” He asks softly, a tone of curiosity in his voice. With an innocent look on his face, the smaller boy cautiously brings his feminine fingers up to his mouth and taps the tip of his fang lightly.

 

“I guess I do!” Baekhyun giggles sweetly giving me another warm eye-smile.

 

Without a thought I find my hand ruffling his silky hair, trailing gently over the boy’s small head and ears. I can feel Baekhyun tense up under my large hand and I pull my arm back quickly, realizing what I had been doing.

 

“S-Sorry!” I apologize immediately and hope he doesn’t think I’m too weird. He shakes his head slowly, as if he didn’t mind.

 

He doesn’t grumble and turning back to face the window, as I thought he would. Instead he reaches a small, delicate hand to my uncombed hair and does the same, in a kind and tender manner for just moment. A soft, dreamy look behind his eyes, like he had seen something precious for the first time.

 

“Uh...” I breathe out in surprise. I think I just petted Byun Baekhyun. Did Byun Baekhyun just pet me? Although unexpected, it doesn’t feel half bad. It actually feels quite nice. I guess I really am a dog.

 

He silently goes back to staring out the window. I do the same.

 

Occasionally I steal a glance at Baek, away from the never ending fields. He’s still looking out the window... Overtime I can tell he’s growing sleepy, head nodding as he slips in and out of consciousness. I continue to stare at the nothingness waiting outside. Then I feel a light thump on my side.

 

“Baek-” I cut myself off, holding my breath when I realize he had fallen asleep on my side. I scoot a bit closer to him so that his head is placed by my shoulder and not half way to my elbow. My hands clench a bit as he nuzzles closer, ears pointed down. Now knowing what to do, I stop breathing. Slowly I grow sleepy, the soft hair tickling my cheek. I drift into a dreamless sleep.