Chapter 2

Are you human too?

 

Chanyeol POV

 

That was rough… The first thing I felt when I woke up was my head throbbing against my skull followed by a soreness under my arm. I sit up and am instantly hit with a wave of confusion and more aching. This is not my bed… This is definitely not my room… When I pushed aside my covers and stood up I noticed the overwhelmingly small hospital gown I was sporting and how thin it is. Where am I? My thoughts just made my headache worse… And why couldn’t they have gotten a gown that fits? 

 

The second thing I notice is a foreign feeling sitting atop my head and poking my back. When I turn around I am met with a long, fluffy, black tail… Is there a dog here? Following the tail I continue to turn in circles but the rest of the dog constantly stays out of sight. After a few moments I come to the realization that this wasn’t some dogs tail… 

 

In disbelief I run to the closest mirror which happens to be across the room on top of a rusty sink. Every aspect of my surroundings are dull, all the walls are white painted bricks and lack windows. There is only a bed, sink, and toilet. When I reach the mirror I almost faint at the reflection. The face I see is mine alright… Except on each side of my head sit big, fluffy ears; both perked upwards… Dog ears. My skin is pale and there are dark, prominent circles resting under my eyes. I start to remember yesterday.

 

It was just like any other morning. I fumbled out of my stiff bed and stained covers, which I had outgrown years ago. Realizing I’m twenty minutes late I tripped on the way to the bathroom. Pulling up the same outgrown pants from yesterday and tightening my dad’s old leather belt around my waist. Most of my clothes are hand-me-downs or just too small. At least that’s how it feels lately. All except for my toothbrush, I recognize as I’m brushing my teeth. I could never outgrow a toothbrush. I squat to see my face in the mirror as I comb my bangs over my face and acknowledge my large, pointy ears. I’m almost too tall to see myself in the mirror now I guess… I sigh at my reflection through the dark stains near the edges of the glass. I used to hate my ears so I’d attempt to cover them up with hats but my school doesn’t allow students to wear those so my masquerades never lasted for long…  eventually I gave up on that and just loathe them on days when I’m feeling particularly sensitive. 

 

As I unplug my phone from the charger next to my bed, the screen lights up revealing all the notifications I had received overnight. I’ll just check it later… I think to myself before stuffing it into my jean pocket next to the keys I left the day before. Ignoring my messages from Key, I rush downstairs not forgetting to kiss my mother’s cheek goodbye.When I put my shoes on, I roll my pant sleeves up to sit nicely on both calves. They’re too short to wear normally but too long to leave as is without it looking weird. Being tall and poor . I skip breakfast but even so I head out the door eagerly. I have no time to waste. Today is the day that I, Park Chanyeol, get transferred to Byun Baekhyun’s sixth period Calculus class.

 

I first saw Baekhyun at the beginning of last year. He had just transferred from who knows where, but oddly enough almost instantaneously he became the center of everyone’s attention. I mean everyone.  Including teachers, students, no exception of the janitor. He’s handsome, smart, kind, and determined. What’s not to like? I used to think there were plenty of reasons. At first I had hated his guts. Why does everyone like him without having barely known him at all? I constantly wondered. On the other hand, I did kind of hate him without knowing anything either, so I’m equally guilty. 

 

After a while, talk of him died down. A few girls continued to have crushes from a distance but overall people began to forget about him. As the year progressed he slowly began to coming to school less. I stopped passing him in the hallways and spotting him at lunch, as I reviewed all of the reasons he annoyed me. As time passed I began to become more curious about him and his life. Why was this popular dude practically disappearing through the year? It’s almost as if he is fading. What used to stand above normal is so much less and in a way more than that now.I’ve always been wondering what this dude’s problem was. He never seemed to notice that he was popular. Eventually leading me to become even more curious as to how BYUN BAEKHYUN himself did not know the ridiculous extent of adoration the school held for him. 

 

My best friend Kibum ended up working on a project together with Baekhyun’s best friend--Jonghyun. It turns out that Baekhyun has family and other personal problems at home, but that’s all Jonghyun ended up telling. Y’know, privacy and all.I hated him a bit less after learning that. He still bothered me regardless. I suppose the only person who knows much of anything about Baekhyun is Jonghyun. That’s aside from Baekhyun himself. Watching him out of the corner of my eye now and then at lunch, I’d look over and wonder if just maybe he’s not a brat who wants to be isolated and “cool.” Maybe he’s even shy. I’ve don’t know why but I’d continue to become intrigued. Today would be the day I talk to Byun Baekhyun…and figure out what’s his deal. 

 

As the day finally reached sixth period I began to anticipate meeting Baekhyun. After the second bell rung; signifying the beginning of the period, I knew he wasn’t coming. He must be missing school today. I felt a bit disappointed until my sulking was interrupted and class stopped abruptly. Ten large men in suits walked into the room, pushing aside the heavy door with ease. In the next room, equipment was being set up by women in nurse scrubs. Everyone was confused, even the teacher wasn’t sure what was going on… Until I learned they were screening for hybrid humans… The same hybrids Key keeps telling me about and I had brushed off as one of those random hoaxes he loves to obsess about. 

 

One of the men explained that they were testing for a specific gene. However they never explained what they would do if someone tested positive. I may not be smart but I know I’m not stupid. There is a reason they aren’t telling us much. After the large man finished his explanation, everyone waited for their name and number to be called. Including me. I was trying to complete my work and make the situation as normal as possible until I overheard Jonghyun screaming at Baekhyun over the phone. I laughed out loud when he began to sound like a mom, scolding her child for coming home late. Thankfully no one seemed to notice or care… So Byun Baekhyun is coming to school today huh…  My mood raised and I was anticipating his arrival again.This did not last long at all. In fact everything had gone downhill since then. Eventually I would be called in for testing. I swear it could not have gone worse.

 

The second I sat down in that uncomfortable, metal chair I knew something was awfully wrong. I don’t know if it was the cold stares or matching outfits. Maybe it was the questionably short time it took for these strangers to set up and proceed with gene testing. Either way my suspicions were right. I let them take a blood sample from me. I also answered the pretty woman’s questions (mainly because I found her attractive, but don’t get me wrong, I would’ve answered them anyways.) It was when the weird glasses lady came back to me with unchanging eyes, I knew I must’ve tested positive. I stood up and ran, regardless of their threats. Immediately a sharp pain bloomed in the back of my head and I out before I even hit the ground. 

 

Thinking back, at least they didn’t kill me like they said they would… I guess I’d still have ended up in the same place if I hadn’t run. But how do I have ears and tail now… and why a dog? Why couldn’t I have been something cool like a lion… or an anteater? Even a giraffe would have been better than a dog. How would I even use ears and a tail?! I’ll figure it out. I’d also like to be enlightened as to where I am, where I’m going… and when I’m going to see my family (and maybe Byun Baekhyun.) Hopefully they’re not actually killing me like they said they would and I’d see another person instead of dying a slow painful death in this gross, empty cell. Then when I see whoever, I can bombard them with questions… and ask for food. I’m hungry… so hungry. After laying on my bed and contemplating life for a few more minutes I hear a knock on the door. Finally, someone!

 

I rush to the small door as fast as I can… A visitor! Now I can ask them all the questions I’d like until they give me answers… or kill me… Hopefully it’s the latter. If all else fails I can use puppy eyes which leaves all my victims crying from my cuteness and charm (regardless of what Key tells me.)

 

I open the door with no caution expecting to see one of those tall men again. To my surprise I’m greeted with a girl… No woman. How old is she? Although she doesn’t even reach my armpit, her glare makes up for it completely and I take a step back without realizing. Her blue eyes feel like they are piercing into my skull and her bold red hair makes her all the more intimidating. Already having forgotten the questions I was going to ask I look at her carefully.

 

“Park Chanyeol, beagle and Labrador hybrid, #61. Is this you?”

 

Her voice is equally as mean as her glare. Hopefully someone here is a bit kinder but somehow I doubt that. 

 

“Yeah, that’s me…”  I answer hesitantly.

 

I don’t know much about the dog thing, but that’s definitely my name and the number matches what is printed on my wristband. 

 

“Come this way.”

 

She ushers me out the door through what seems to be an endlessly long hallway. Finally we reach what seems to be a lobby as there are more staff hanging around and a table with few breakfast goods. As unappetizing as they are, my stomach grumbles loudly at the sight.

 

Noticing this, the odd woman grabs a stale muffin without saying a word to me. I thank her but receive no reply. As she turns around I notice two long scars running down the sides of her head but my thoughts are quickly interrupted when I remember to ask questions. I inquired about my family, about friends, about what’s going on but she only gave me brief answers. 

 

“Where are we?” I begin with a demanding tone in hopes of intimidating the woman.

 

She replies monotonously with “That’s confidential.” Of course.

 

I then proceed to ask where I might be going and her simple answer was “You’ll figure that out eventually.” I guess that makes sense… 

 

I then decide to change the subject and interrogate her about my family, thinking she ought to be able to give me a simple yes or no answer. Not an ambiguously confusing one seen in my previous attempts. Oh, how I was wrong. 

 

“Am I allowed to see my parents again?” C’mon… yes or no… My tone becomes increasingly demanding. 

 

“That’s not for me to decide, sir.” I grind my teeth through my jaw. Is this woman annoying me on purpose? She must know the answer to this question. 

 

Before I realize it we exited the hallways and are now heading outside the building. Now firing questions quicker than before. “Will I ever see my family again?!” at this point I’m just desperate for any answer. 

 

“Who knows, sir.” My temperature rises through my body as we approach a car door. 

 

“Will I ever meet my friends again?” voice cracking in the back of my throat. The door opens and the scent of leather and air conditioning floods my nose as I turn to face the car. I receive no answer at all from the red headed woman. 

 

 “What about Byun Baekhyun…”  

 

My sentence is cut off as and I am pushed backwards into the car seat, letting out a grunt. The door slams shut and I make immediate eye contact with the boy whose name I just spoke. My body turns to fit into the polished black car. There sits Byun Baekhyun dressed in nice, comfortable clothes in all his glory; staring straight back at me with a mix of confusion and irritation in his eyes. 

 

“Who’re you…” He says after biting into what looks like a delicious apple, wiping the juice trailing down his chin. His eyes are still fixed intently on me with brows furrowed, refusing to turn his head. Then I see the ears; soft and white along with the rest of his hair. They suit his complexion nicely, creating an innocent look regardless of his expression.

 

“P-Park Chanyeol…” I reply nervously as if he’d kick me out. Quickly followed with “Is this your car?” I blurt my thoughts out. 

 

His ear twitches and his face twists into a judgmental and confused but nonconforming expression. “Of course not, why would you think this is my car?...” 

 

Surprised by his attitude, I explain. “Well, I mean… You’re enjoying an apple in the backseat. Not to mention you’re wearing some pretty nice clothes over there” I motion up and down, referring to his body. “... and here I am with a hospital gown and a gross muffin.”

 

“Oh…” he seems more confused than offended now. “Well it’s not mine…”  he says with ears facing the ground and a shy tone. He turns his head to face the window. 

 

We sit in awkward silence for a few minutes, having scooted to either end of the back seat in attempt to avoid one another as much as possible. This feels so weird. Here I am, a tall, lanky dude wearing a dumb gown sitting next to Byun Baekhyun in his expensive clothes. We are both munching on our snacks as the car passes unfamiliar streets and buildings. 

 

“Hey…” I break the silence after what feels like eternity. “Do you know where we are going perhaps?” 

 

“No idea.” The boy doesn’t turn and takes another bite out of his apple. “Why are you wearing a gown?” he fires back at me. 

 

“Why aren’t you?” I snap back. Why does Byun Baekhyun get to wear nice clothes and enjoy a tasty apple while I’m stuck in what can only barely pass as clothes. On top of that I haven’t even brushed my hair but he’s all primped and pretty. He’s even wearing vans but I’m sitting around with one hospital slipper on. The other probably lost in some hallway.. 

 

“How would I know? I just woke up with this stuff ready for me…” I can tell he’s getting annoyed with my questions and I with his privileges. 

 

“Well I woke up in a prison cell with nothing but a gown, bed, and sink.” I reply, resent dripping from my voice.

 

“Really?” he responds almost as if he pities me.

 

“I woke up in a master bed with these clothes waiting for me in a marble bathroom.” My jaw clenched. “There was even a shower and later I was greeted by two girls who served me french toast and coffee…” What the-

 

“You can’t be serious.” This cat must be messing with me.

 

 “I’m serious, you asked.” No way, this just isn’t fair. 

 

Key… if you can hear me right now, wherever you are… I’ve found my answer. Byun Baekhyun truly is a brat. 

 

 

 

2,737 words