SIXTH MEETING

Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

AN: HI KIDS!

Sad to tell you that this chapter remains fairly innocent. Had to stick to character and pace the story right. This does not mean, however, that the rating might not change in the future. I'm late again since im still caught up with school. I'm free after the 7th though so I can write as much as I want. 

7:01

 

Jeonghan released the breath he didn’t knew he was holding.

 

He stood up, going to the door and opening it carefully. The corridor was empty—the usual quiet, which he was thankful for. SNS gigs has earned him the luxury of being able to afford a unit frequently availed by upper middle class employees—saving him from the horrors of having to stay in college apartments where parties would occur many times more often than he would like.

 

Seeing nothing except for the retreating back of the security man who would always patrol the building at night, he shrugged off his leather jacket, locking the door and turning to go to the refrigerator to get the leftover cold pizza he has been craving since he came back home. He slumped down on his couch, lying on his stomach and dragging his Pikachu blanket over his body.

 

He reached over his head, and clutched the tie tied around his hair. He looked at the digital clock at the side table again.

 

7:03

 

Maybe just a little bit more…

 

And so he waited, hugging his blanket while taking a bite from his pizza from time to time. Finally, when the 14 changed to 15, he decided to drop it.

 

He glared at the door.

 

Kim Mingyu. He’s an athlete isn’t he? Surely he’s well-versed on how punctuality works.

 

Despite it, the full blown relief washed over his body. He reached over again freeing his hair from the bun he spent 30 minutes on fixing.

 

For the first time in his life, he was okay on not being able to show off his outfit. He was so stressed out after getting home, not really knowing what to do, so he just dressed up nicely as he can. There’s no surprise situation a well-dressed person cannot overcome.

 

He grabbed his phone and opened twitter. With great irony, a picture of Kim Mingyu popped up first on his tlist. He was sweaty, hot, and most importantly, smiling--cute canines accenting his smile. He pouted, pushing his phone away as he felt the first wave of disappointment wash over him. Yes, he somehow can breath easily now but does it matter? He is sad-- and there was no Kim Mingyu to cheer him up.

 

He figured he wants to see him in person, regardless of the pressure brought by the implication of his statement.

 

It’s not like he was really expecting him to come. The tone of their conversation that morning was playful and there was a huge possibility he was just joking. He himself was, after all.

 

He imagined Kim Mingyu, an A-list athlete, standing outside his apartment. He slapped the rilakkuma plushie on his side, laughing at the thought.

 

“Ugh, I’m so dumb. Of course, he’s just joking.”

 

 

Mingyu ran up the stairs, cursing Dokyeom and his bad luck. He was on his way to Jeonghan’s apartment when he received a call. Dokyeom’s car broke down and he had no other choice than to rescue him-- much to his annoyance.

 

He was relieved when he saw light seeping in through the door at the end of the corridor. Wasting no time, he knocked. Thankfully, there was an immediate response, with the telltale sound of shuffling at the other side.

 

He tried to fix his collar, and then went to brush the stray strands of hair that fell over his eyes as he ran up the expanse of the parking lot and up the stairs. He waited as he heard numerous locks being unlatched and when the door finally opened, his hands absentmindedly dropped with the sight that welcomed him.

 

There was Jeonghan, standing with loose white shirt and trackpants. There was a towel over his head, crowned with hair still dripping slightly from the shower. The other hasn’t seen him yet, with the his eyes focused on his wallet.

 

He looks so soft.

 

For a brief moment, an image flashed in his mind. The fleeting picture of a lazy night on a couch with the others head on his shoulder.

 

He was surprised, a  churn in his stomach emerging—a familiar feeling—something only experienced before a big match. He figured he was nervous.

 

The crisp sound of a twenty being pulled from the other’s wallet snapped him out of his thoughts.

 

“How much is the chicken again?” Jeonghan asked in an eager tone, looking up at him while waving the money.

 

“Wow mister, lookin’ good tonight.” Jeonghan snickered. “Why are you wearing a suit? Also where’s my chicken?”

 

“Jeonghan…” he responded, confused.

 

When his voice echoed into the silence of the corridor, he saw the other jolt, expression transforming into that of panic. Jeonghan stepped closer, squinting his eyes. It was only then that he realized, he must have bad eyes—contacts not worn at the moment.

 

He was about to tell him himself when…

 

“What the are you doing here?!” he shrieked, towel dropping as he stepped back to hide himself behind the door.

 

He stood frozen, surprised at Jeonghan’s outburst. He was expecting the show of bravado, but the other looked somehow scared by his presence.

 

“Well, you did tell me to come here.”

 

Jeonghan gave a shaky breath, expression unguarded until he was able to compose himself. Without warning, his eyes turned into slits.

 

“Hmm? I did told you that. But its already 9. You’re late. Fight cancelled. Game’s over. You lose. Bye bye. Good night.” He said in one breath as he started pushing the door close.

 

He quickly clutched the knob, stopping the other from completely shutting him out.

 

“Wait…”

 

Jeonghan pushed again with more strength, clearly avoiding his eyes.

 

“Go away…”

 

The desperation in the other’s voice stopped him. Not wanting to force him, he surrendered, hands coming up, palms facing the other to signify it. Despite it, he used whatever time remaining to apologize.

 

“I’m sorry, I apologize for being late. I had an emergency. But please just let me know you’re okay.”

 

That stopped the other from pulling and for some reasons, he let out a small laugh. “What kind of question is that?”

 

“Did something happen?” he asked, trying to make sense of why Jeonghan was so eager to make him go.

 

Jeonghan looked at him like the answer was obvious. “I am newly showered, watching Netflix, just waiting for my chicken, sure… I’m perfectly fine.”

 

“Then what.. Did I do something wrong?” He was genuinely curious. He came here, expecting to feel the same atmosphere he felt that morning. He wondered if it was something he did, for the other to just reject his presence.

 

Jeonghan looked amused. “Okay tennis boy… just to make this situation clear. I asked you to come here… And now I’m asking you to go away. You’re the one who’s supposed to be mad at me.”

 

He leaned on the doorframe, as subtly as he can, crossing his arms over his chest. Now that Jeonghan was finally talking, he can’t risk the slight chance that he might slam the door at him.

 

“Then what is happening right now? Please explain.” He looked at him straight to the eye, expecting a straight answer.

 

Jeonghan took a step back, pursing his lip and getting red all-over. “ You don’t actually have to get mad.”

 

Watching his reaction, he immediately softened up his expression--removed his face--as Dokyeom would nicely put.

 

“It’s not because of you. It’s my pet. Uhmm..My pet’s sick. I need to go bye.” The other said, eyes shifting from side to side.

 

“The sign downstairs says no pets allowed.”

 

“Well jokes on you, I have a fish," the other answered snarkily.

 

“So you’re telling me your pet fish is sick…? Try harder.”

 

The other gave him a glare—crossing his arms over his chest. “I have a toothache. I can’t give you a .”

 

“Blow- wait what… Oh. Did you…?”  

 

Oh.

Yes.

How can he forget that detail.

 

He buried his face on his hands. “I did not come here for that.”

 

“T

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter