ㅤㅤCHAPTER_ONE_TXT.✧

ㅤㅤFICTION? NOT ANYMORE! ✧ CHECK UPDATES!
MEET THE PRETTY THIEVES
“ddal, this isn't funny.”

it's 9 p.m. on a sunday and seo ddal is sprawling on her stomach, poring over her biology textbook with her phone held between her shoulder and her left cheek. she's trying to figure out how to write down her notes, while moon bin sat cross-legged beside her, staring curiously at the diagrams in the textbook. ddal wonders if he'd ever studied anything in his life. characters in manhwas are put in a school setting, but none of the scenes they're put in had been of them studying. maybe he really doesn't know anything about biology.

unnie, i know i'm a naturally very funny person but the only word i had said to you so far was hi. it wasn't even meant to be a joke,” ddal said rather dubiously, pencil hovering over the page of her empty biology notebook. moon bin stares curiously at her but ddal waves him away, focusing completely on hwang nari, who's on the other end.

a loud sound of something being pushed away penetrates her hearing and then a panicked voice of a guy's, followed by nari's terrified shriek which is a sound that is new to ddal. “no, that isn't for stabbing people– it's for eating, okay, eating– oh my god, kim rowoon, you tall dumb –” 

kim rowoon? huh, that's a new name. ddal is sure she haven't heard of the guy's name before, although to be frank nari hadn't really provide her a list of all the guys she'd been with.. if she'd ever been with a guy. ddal wonders how much of a nice guy he is, being able to cope with nari's consistently delightful attitude.

he could be filthy rich as well, so rich that nari lets him into her penthouse. 

and, well, into her closed-off frozen heart. 

nari's voice, tired and slightly panting comes through the line again. “seo ddal, if this is your idea of a joke then i'm not fond of it. oh my god, put that knife down! before i really will stab you with it– yeah, right in your damned eye!” and then comes sound of someone running around and nari groaning in frustration. hwang nari sounding half-panicky and half-annoyed is entertaining to ddal, who couldn't help but lets out a soft laughter at her senior's frustration. “i stole that manhwa and what? you ordered a.. mildly psychotic male stripper to my house?” 

so she did steal a manhwa, too.. but with a mildly psychotic male stripper in it? maybe hwang nari isn't as refined as ddal had let herself believe. “oh god, he's brandishing that gun around. kim rowoon, put that gun down–” with a noise that sounds similar to one of a dying whale's, nari's voice was cut off as the call ended abruptly. 

ddal stares at the dark screen of her phone dubiously. she blinks, uncertain of what to make of the situation and then lets out a huge breath.

then she turns to moon bin and blinks at him. 

he blinks back. “wow. what's with all the yelling? that's so unlike hwang witch. is she possessed?”

ddal holds out a finger, slumping her shoulders down in defeat. she goes back to her position of lying on her stomach and mumbles, “don't say that about her. she's called hwang nari, not hwang witch. she's my friend, be nice.” moon bin visibly frowns at this but doesn't say too much on the topic. “apparently a male stripper was sent to her house. he have a gun and, quoting nari unnie, is mildly psychotic.”

she finally began drawing out the diagram of the cell on the empty page when she feels a nudge on her side. “whaaat,” she drawls out, rolling on her back to face moon bin, who's sitting on her left.

with a grin that always seems to find ddal wanting to chug down bleach, he said, “you know what a stripper is? so advanced for a seventeen-year old.”

blood rushes up from all parts of her body to her two chubby cheeks and ddal lets out her embarrassment by kicking moon bin's left leg. “shut up! i'm seventeen, i should know that kind of things.”

and then he laughs, and ddal finds herself really considering whether she should chug down that bleach. 



“okay, listen. what are you going to do about him, huh? let him frolick around my house all he likes? i have my underwears hung out in plain sight, it's revolt–”

go naeul slams her metal food tray onto the counter. most of the time, kim yewon is her good friend-slash-housemate. they'd been friends since practically forever, but there are times when yewon becomes her arch-nemesis. times as in right now, yes, frankly speaking. and it is times like this that makes naeul wants to slam her head with multiple metal food trays because yewon is providing her with a headache of a lifetime and she certainly doesn't need anymore of that, what with kim mingyu walking around her house with no shirt on. 

she smiles distractedly at the lunch lady and picks up her tray, eyes scanning the vicinity of the lunch room to find her usual table. 
“i know, okay, i know. and hey, it's not your house, it's ours. i'll figure something out, there's no way i'm living with that huge ert.” she walks off in quick strides, alarming yewon who still have to wait for the lunch lady to fill up her tray with fried kimchi, today's menu for lunch.

“but i don't know, naeul. although he bears no,” at this, yewon rolls her eye and waves the tray around for a bit to emphasize her point, “great danger to us, he comes from a manhwa.” her words comes out strained and she slams the tray onto their table, sloshing the tofu soup onto the table much to naeul's dismay. naeul frowns at her but yewon shakes her head, still not done with her rant. 

“and a freaking  manhwa at that!”

ddal looks up from her concentrated session of singling out beans from her rice and hwang nari, who'd never had lunch at the school's lunch room looks up from the bar of chocolate she's nibbling on. naeul scrunches her eyes shut and nudges yewon's sides with her elbow, then the both of them bowed to the two older girls. “i'm.. sorry,”  yewon mumbles out under her breath. 

the chubby-cheeked girl lets out a soft laugh and continues eating, while nari fixes naeul with narrowed eyes and a look no one can comprehend. naeul slides into a seat opposite ddal's and motions to nari, raising both her eyebrows questioningly. “nari unnie? well, she–”

“so, go naeun. i heard people say you looked like me,” nari instantaneously exclaims aloud, putting aside her bar of chocolate. yewon stares begrudgingly at it but continues munching on her lunch quietly. 

nodding with her eyes on her hands, naeul mumbles out a “yeah.” her voice cracks at the ye syllable and ddal almost flips her food tray over in her hassle of wanting to cover from laughing out loud. nari doesn't seem fazed, but nari is never really fazed by anything. “and it's naeul, not naeun.”

“okay,” comes the curt reply of the older girl. yewon glares at nari, but is clever enough not to press on the topic. curt replies are nothing if you're talking to hwang nari. it's better than no replies, afterall. “and i heard that you're also in possession of a cursed.. manhwa?” nari coughs when she said the word cursed, probably unable to comprehend the situation as well. 

naeul nods again, not saying anything yet. even as ddal steals the pickled radish from her food tray, naeul stays fixatedly staring at her hands. “thanks to your friend, kim yerim– ye.. won? ah, yewon. i also somehow gathered that it's an manhwa?” 

the atmosphere of the lunch table is alike one in an interrogation room. naeul feels as though she'd committed a grave sin when all she'd done is steal a manhwa and it isn't even her fault – it's kim yewon's, all kim yewon's – with how strict and cold nari's features is. even when ddal drops her fried kimchi on the table and whines loudly at it, nari doesn't seem at all distracted. 


maybe this is why people are so scared of her. she's like an ice sculpture.

as soon as naeul admitted to being in the possession of an manhwa and that she does have an eighteen-year old ert freely walking around in her house, nari lets out a loud whine and hits her forehead on the lunch table. this random act of hers shocks even ddal, who knows that hwang nari won't ever do that even if you offered her the whole of europe. desperate times calls for desperate measures, she supposes. “ah, i'm so glad i'm not the only person with a wild manhwa character running rampant in my house.”

and then she went quiet, low snores emitting out of .

next time if you want to steal a manhwa, steal a romance one. it'll save your image and dignity, and your life in general.


the loud skidding of her trainers on the gym floor, the texture of the orange ball in her hands and the sweaty shirt clinging to her back comforts lim hwayeon's troubled heart. she stands in place and throws the basketball in a perfect arch, scoring an unrivalled goal. the gym is quiet and the thud of the ball hitting the floor sounds hollow. 

she lets out a huge breath and a smile breaks out onto her face. picking up her half-empty water bottle on the floor, she chugs down the rest of the water and sits on the floor cross-legged, mind already in the neighborhood of the apartment she'd shared with her younger sister, hayoung. hayoung must've already been mad pissed by now, what with hwayeon not yet home and dinner not being served yet. 

and him. 

him, fire-breathing master. mercury venus. the guy she'd no idea where his origin had been and whether he's just a roleplayer who'd somehow found his way into her apartment. 

would he know what kimchi even is?

the clock is showing 6, almost 7 p.m. and hwayeon is running out of breath. this place – the school's gym had always been her favorite place in the school. it's where she lets go of everything, all her troubles and the petty thoughts that invaded her mind at odd intervals. it's where she sometimes read the manhwa she's supposed to review. “would he even know what a clock is?” hwayeon mutters to herself as she takes another glance at her wrist-watch.

perhaps she should head back. she'll interrogate him more, maybe ask if he could bring the more good-looking character from the book instead for her. and she wonders what kind of banter he's currently having with hayoung as of right now. even though hayoung is naturally very likeable, somehow the two doesn't get on the same wave-length. it comes off as a surprise, even to hwayeon herself. 

as she walks out to the gates of the school, shouldering her gym bag and kicking pebbles on her way – her eyes catches sight of two odd figures fighting over something in front of the school. it's almost dark out and she's pretty damn sure that no one should be around, but there she is – a short girl and a guy who looks as though he'd come out of the victorian era. 

roy. what the hell are you doing here?” the girl said through gritted teeth, holding onto her bagpack, which is already midway into the guy's arms. she doesn't recognize the girl, but she thinks she'd seen her around the school. always hanging out with the poet girl from her grade and the intimidating senior with the pixie-like features. 

the guy is a new face, she haven't seen him around. although she's not entirely acquaintanced with everyone in the school, she knows the guys in her school by face. his features are sharp and clean, as though he'd been drawn on with a ruler. his clothes are also rather weird for a south korean teenager.. but is he even south korean? “no, young miss. it's my job to wait for you and you're not to carry such heavy things by yourself.”

her jaw drops open as the guy's words fills the darkening sky. a breeze blows past and hwayeon sputters out bits of her hair that has gotten into . young miss? is the girl a hidden princess from another country or is she as loaded as that pixie, intimidating senior, hwang mari or something? either way, this situation is weird as hell. 

but what is weird about it all, hwayeon still couldn't put her finger on it. the girl and the guy then wrestles for the bagpack, turning around in a circle as though they're waltzing and with the guy's back turned towards her, the short girl who might be a hidden princess finally catches her standing there as though she was stalking them. a smile blooms on her small face and she promptly covers the guy's mouth with the palm of her hand. 

hong seulbi. hwayeon remembers her name now. said hong seulbi then waves at hwayeon with her free hand, the smile still plastered on her face. she'd never really talked to seulbi but she knows the senior is really nice with everyone. “hi, lim 19, right? heading home? you should be careful! the streets are going to get dark soon, so make sure to be home as quick as you can! okay! avoid dark alleys too, take the long way even if it's tedious if it's safer!”

as much as hwayeon wanted to reply to the girl as warmly, she couldn't. the situation had unhinged her sanity and she stayed staring at the guy struggling to get seulbi's hand off his mouth and only makes out a weak, “okay, then. you too, senior hong.” she's sure she won't need to worry about seulbi's safety after hearing that the guy thinks seulbi shouldn't be carrying her own school bagpack.

seulbi waves brightly, enthusiastically at her and hwayeon only manages a small smile onto her face as she quickly walks off. somehow, her mind goes back to mercury venus and the ruckus awaiting for her at home. maybe the guy – roy or something, she didn't hear his name clearly, might be of the same situation of mercury. maybe he's not real.

weird things are happening to her one by one since mercury's appearance a day ago and honestly, hwayeon isn't sure if she would be able to cope with it all.


jaehyun stares at the bowl of watery soup of the spicy rice cake the girl had shoved into his hands earlier. although this world is entirely new to him and he isn't even sure whether the girl lying on the bed beside him is a real person, he's hungry and it's been a while since he'd interacted with anything that seems remotely human, if he can even consider her as that. “you know what? kaneki doesn't deserve this but hide. why does he have to die?”

he can't believe his ears. 

all his life, he'd been dealing with dead people. he'd interacted with nothing but dead spirits and now, in this new world where everything seems suspicious and oddly shiny – he's still talking about dead people? for a girl who looks like she could become an internet sensation over-night thanks to her pristine appearance, nam seungjae is oddly dark. and he doesn't think he'd like it much. 

seungjae, as though reading his mind, rolls onto her back on her bed and throws the manhwa to the floor. it hits jaehyun's shoulder briefly and he winces but keeps his mouth shut. seungjae then frowns at him for whatever odd reason she found fit and shuts her eyes. 

“hide died?” believe him when he said that this topic is only being addressed for niceties. he's really gotten so bored of news of people dying. 

the girl opens her left eye, lets out a disgruntled noise and sighs. “he was everyone's favorite. it's unfair.”

“i'm sorry about him dying.”

“yeah.”

“he doesn't deserve it.” now he seems like he's trying too hard to gain her attention.

“yeah.” and now she seems bored out of her mind. 

at this point, jung jaehyun is really considering whether he should just go back to dealing with ghosts. even some of the ghosts he'd dealt with had been more livelier and less scarier than this girl and this is saying something – because they're dead and she's alive, but she still scares him a lot.

it'll take a lot more than just 18 years experience of dealing with ghosts to deal with a certain nam seungjae, it seems. 

 
THIS_IS_AELI: [ ioi voice ] miss me? okay, so guess who resurrected from the dead to post a 2800+ words for a first chapter? [ yes, the answer is aeli ]. as you guys probably know, school started for me and i had too much on my mind and my hands but i can't just abandon this mess of a fic!!!! right? 

i try to portray all the girls + their manhwa boys correctly but for now only moon bin (everyone's favorite bin), roy (a.k.a loyal butler boy) and jaehyun (kaneki, but better) had made their appearance! the others would soon be here as well, but maybe in the second chapter!! as of now, there isn't much interactions but patience, okay, my friends?

anyways! let's make this a regular thing!! what is your favorite phrase in the chapter and/or your favorite character so far??? please comment down below, i'd like to know!! also, of course, what do you think of this chapter??

i love all of you omg and i'm sorry for the delay of this chapter. have a good week ahead of you! 

love, aeli.