Chapter 2

The End of The Day

 “How much confidence you have in yourself?”


 

Park Chanyeol placed a few bill into the Chanyeol’s Jar and went out to take out the trash with a tired sigh. He’s been saving lately and if only the event wasn’t very meaningful, he wouldn’t even bother to do any of this – anyone would prefer to sleep and eat than to work and exhaust.

 

His one and only older sister, Park Yura, owned a coffee shop downtown with her husband and they were hiring part-timers since Christmas holiday means busy days. Because the coffee shop was pretty famous since some of renowned K-Pop idols liked to visit Viva Polo, so the guests increased by the time in hope they would meet one anytime soon.

 

So when he told his mother he needed extra cash for something and his mother refused to give any, since she knew where it would be spent anyway, she suggested to take part-time job in Yura’s coffee shop since it was close by their home and he would get free meal for lunch and a venti-sized cup of coffee (in every flavor he wanted) after work.

 

Yura was beyond happy when Chanyeol asked for the job, happier because he brought some of his friends as well – since Yura has fired five employees because they didn’t do their job right. She welcomed him warmly, as sister supposed to do, and when she knew the motive behind his sudden demeanor, Yura made the Chanyeol’s Jar.

 

Chanyeol’s Jar had a deadline on December 23rd, two days away from Christmas, and it is now already three fourth full. Not just Chanyeol that diligently saved the tip, but his buddies sometimes placed their tips and tapped his back to encourage him more. Even Yura and her husband sometimes, before and after the shop opened.

 

Park Chanyeol went back to the shop and looked around, wondering if there was anything he needed to do. He found his best friend and also the vocalist of the band, Do Kyungsoo was mopping the floor diligently. Byun Baekhyun, another best friend and class clown and pianist of the band, was preparing the cappuccino latte for the beautiful lady that Chanyeol betted would leave her number behind. Kim Jongdae, the happy man and the guitarist of the band, was just walked in with supplies in both hands, walking behind him was Yura’s husband.

 

Instinctively, Chanyeol went to Yura’s husband and mumbled, “Hyung let me do it,” but he put away his hands and grinned to the younger that frowned confusedly.

 

“It’s okay Chanyeol, I have my hands.” He then pointed at the cashier and barista, Kim Junmyeon, with his chin and continued, “You’d better help him, he needs more helps than I do…,” Yura’s husband chuckled when he saw Junmyeon blinked confusedly over the foreign costumer.

 

Chanyeol went behind the counter and tapped Junmyeon’s back, he turned with thankful eyes before stepped away and let Chanyeol take over. Chanyeol grinned and spoke up in very fluent Japanese before he turned to Junmyeon and said, “She said she wants a grande Choco-banana milkshake with extra whipped cream, blueberry muffin, banana muffin, and a very hot green tea.”

 

Junmyeon placed the order over the computer, saying it out loud so Baekhyun and Chanyeol could prepare for the costumer. She paid in cash, when Junmyeon was about to give her the change, the female shook her head and pointed at the tall boy. He nodded in understanding and smiled when the customer now walked off to take her seat, and Junmyeon went to Chanyeol’s Jar to drop the change.

 

Chanyeol’s Jar was almost full.

The Viva Polo’s employees were having their lunches together. Today’s menu was bulgogi with fruit salad that Yura cooked from home.

 

“So Chanyeol, what will you buy with the money?” Junmyeon wondered as he chewed the food. Kyungsoo looked at him disgustedly and mumbled hyung swallow first, talk later.

 

“Yeah Chanyeol, what do you plan to buy? Do you want to impress her that much so you need extra cash?” Baekhyun teased the boy, while actually he might be the only person that knew the whole story.

 

“Whoa, then she is the lucky girl! He works hard to earn money just to give the best impression for the girl. I wonder who she is….,” Jongdae raised his hand to high-five with Chanyeol, the band burst into laughter.

 

“Shut up.” He hissed under his breath, but the band laughed even harder as they noticed his ears perked in red. “Sometimes you earn money not because you want to impress a girl you know—like…, like um…, maybe I want to use the money for Lego! Or guitar! Or drumstick! Who knows? Or maybe new clothes for Christmas?! Or um…, stop staring at me!” Chanyeol’s cheeks heated up and his fellow employees snickered at him.

 

“Poor Park Chanyeol,” Kyungsoo joined to mock the drummer of the band. “I mean, we all know whom your love songs are about.” He raised his thick brows and added, “It’s just very, very surprising to see that she doesn’t even know it.”

 

“Chanyeol?”

 

Chanyeol was about to retort on the stupid remark when someone called for his name. He turned his back and found a very beautiful young girl, with her straight, dark hair in such an elegant dress, smiled minutely at him. Chanyeol smiled back at her before stood up, “Oh Naeun, hi.”

 

Son Naeun was her full name, she waved kindly to Chanyeol’s friends before her eyes met his. “You’re working here?”

 

Chanyeol nodded his head. “Well yeah…, for Christmas holiday only. Need to make some money for everyone’s Christmas gifts. Haha. Then what about you? What gets Son Naeun here?”

 

Naeun pointed a table occupied with two girls that giggled at them now, weird – Chanyeol thought. “Oh I just accompanied my friends. They said they wished to meet EXO’s Kai here, so yeah go figures.” Naeun shrugged lightly and huffed.

 

“Have you ordered?” Chanyeol wondered and about to go behind the counter when Naeun caught his wrist. It was a swift move and Chanyeol unconsciously yanked it away and cleared his throat. “Sorry, reflex.”

 

Naeun gave him a very light nod. “It’s okay. And no, I don’t order anything. I can’t have too much sugar. I just ate a Choco pie,”

 

“Trainee’s disadvantage,” Chanyeol said in teasing tone and Naeun rolled his eyes. “That is why I quitted it. I can’t stand not having candies just to keep my figures perfect. I’d rather be drumming for my band.”

 

“Come on, who was this person that colored his hair in bright golden just to let everyone know that he’s casted?” Naeun made a face. “And I still don’t get it, why quitting when your band only performs like once a year, at our school festival.” She laughed when she knew she hit his pride.

 

“Well, but we sometimes have small gigs around…, so yeah.” Chanyeol looked at the beautiful girl in front of him, very thin but also very beautiful with that high nose and sparkling eyes.

 

“Hey what are you doing after work?” Naeun suddenly offered. “I heard they would have a Christmas festival downtown with giant Christmas tree and—”

 

“—sorry Naeun, I promised Eunji to company her for Christmas shopping.” Chanyeol looked guilty. “Can we make up later?”

 

“Eunji…,” she said in empty tone. Naeun nodded understandingly. “Of course, sure…” she smiled even though it seemed very fake. “I’ll see you soon then.” She waved at him and the boy waved back with the same small smile.

 

As he turned to see his fellow bandmates and Junmyeon, they were all frowning at him. “What, what?” he asked confusedly as he took a seat back.

 

“You skipped a chance to go out with Goddess Son Naeun, just to accompany your little monster for Christmas shopping.” Baekhyun shook his head disgruntledly. “Don’t you know there are men that willing to kill just to sit next to her in class? DUDE.”

 

Kyungsoo was the person that defended for him. “Come on people, how long have you known Chanyeol? His type is nothing alike to beautiful, graceful, and everybody’s sweetheart like Son Naeun. He prefers a loud, voracious, rude monster like—” Kyungsoo never finished his sentence because Chanyeol placed a big piece of meat in his mouth.

 

“Eat up.” Chanyeol sighed and continued his food, ignored the weird looks and snickers from his friends.

 

As Naeun sat back to her seat, she found pairs of eyes looking at her curiously and Naeun just pouted. Chanyeol might not notice but Naeun sent him secret glances before she observed him mouthed a big-sized of meat to his friend’s plump lips and created a smile over her face as she watched the scene.

 

“So that was the infamous Park Chanyeol?” Her best friend and also her sunbae in the agency, Park Sooyoung or preferably to be called with Lizzy, raised her dyed brow at her and sent meaningful smirk to Hong Yookyung, another best friend and also fellow trainee. “Now I understand.”

 

Naeun stole a sip of Yookyung’s cold beverage and creased her eyebrows. “What do you understand?” she wondered blankly.

 

She didn’t hear whatever Lizzy said – or possibly she didn’t say anything at all – as Naeun’s eyes were directed to the table where the workers sitting, she smiled when the tallest one in the group was being made fun of or when his boisterous laugh was getting annoyed irks by the guests, or when after he finished his meal they caught glances and he bowed slightly with a smile before walked away to go back with his duties.

 

“Do you still wish to turn back time?” Lizzy asked implicitly, when Naeun placed her chin on top of her palm and sighed quietly.

 

Her question remained unsolved until the drinks were finished.

“Hello neighbor!”

 

Sehun just got out of his house when Eunji greeted him warmly with a wave and wide smile. He paused and looked up, smiled back gingerly at her and again he let out his low tone. “Hi, where are you going? It’s freezing, you should put on scarf.” Sehun pointed at her outfit for today; it was a pair of ripped blue-sky jeans, checkered shirt, and monster-printed cheery yellow jumper, and a fur hat.

 

Eunji instead shook her head and giggled. “But I don’t usually put on scarf though. It’s not really cold anyway. Where are you going?” Eunji asked back curiously and stepped back because felt intimidated with his height. “Whoa you are so tall. Just like my best friend. It’s not fair, how everyone around me is so tall…, and look at me. I’m so small like a midget.” Eunji frowned and for the first time in forever, she heard a man’s laugh and her heart raced because of it.

 

“You’re cute though,” Sehun mumbled quietly and Eunji looked up with her raised brows and asked, “Hmm what?” – on which Sehun just shook his head and changed the topic. “You said you are going to Seoul High School, is it really a good school? My mother said she would send my application to that school in Monday.”

 

“Oh you want to go Seoul High School? Sure, sure! It’s a very good school, everyone in school is nice, the teachers are kind and welcoming, there are extracurricular classes that might be fun for you, and um…, if you are looking for popularity I bet you would own it as the time you walk in because damn, your smile is just so captivating.” Eunji looked up at him, eyes sparkling and lips beaming.

 

Sehun raised his thick brow and grinned, he of course didn’t expect she could say something so easily like that. “You are so…, unexpected.”

 

Eunji didn’t understand what he meant by that, so she just nodded lightly before she felt her phone vibrated. Eunji took out her phone from the bag and saw the caller ID, and then she widened her eyes as if she was hit by a realization, before she looked up at Sehun and bid goodbye. “I will see you soon okay! And let’s meet my best friend later. He’s also very tall, giant-alike.” Eunji giggled after feeling satisfied at making fun of her best friend.

 

Sehun watched Jung Eunji walked away, amusedly and bewilderedly. He just met her few hours earlier and she definitely had her own unique vibes that weirdly made Sehun wanted to talk and hang out more with her.  Sehun didn’t know what to blame; either her awful taste of dressing or her infectious wide smile. 

Eunji arrived as the shop was just locked up. Yura and her husband asked them to close early since everyone wanted to do their Christmas shopping before everything ran out of the stores. Baekhyun shook his head at the bright yellow jumper of hers, along with Jongdae that frowned at the fur hat. While Junmyeon just looked at her blankly, Kyungsoo gave a smile, and Chanyeol was backing her, on his knees since he was locking up Viva Polo.

 

“I think I know why December is always cold.” Baekhyun started his opening standup comedy, knowing what to make fun of right now. “Because the sun is stolen by this rude, ungrateful monster.” Baekhyun pointed his index finger on Eunji and shook his head. “Seriously Eunji, won’t you make a New Year Resolution where you wish to try to look a bit better?”

 

Eunji replied calmly, “Seriously Baekhyun, won’t you make a New Year Resolution where you wish to try to not interfere with other people’s sense of fashion?”

 

“Ouch.” Jongdae faked a gasp. “Straight to your heart Byun, straight to your heart.” Jongdae made a motion like an arrow stabbed into his chest before he broke into a smile and high-fived with Eunji. “You don’t put on scarf? It’s freezing Jung,” Jongdae looked at her.

 

“You are the second person asking me about scarf.” Eunji laughed heartily.

 

“Who’s the first?” Chanyeol was already standing, lean and tall, next to Eunji as he placed the Viva Polo’s keys inside his backpack. He stepped closer to wipe Eunji’s snots with his hand, and diligently Eunji would take out her tissue pack and hand him some to help him clean his hand and then handed the hand-sanitizer. It’s so natural and real, even his best friends already accustomed with their close, weird actions toward each other.

 

“Our new neighbor!” Eunji cheered, too loud, and Chanyeol hissed because he was standing close to her. Chanyeol took off his gray muffler and put it on her neck, making sure nothing of her neck was left bare. “Do you know we have new neighbor Chanyeol? They live next to my house…, so handsome!” Chanyeol tensed a bit at it. “… And very, very tall—strangely tall, just like you. You should meet him soon! He said he’s going to our school!”

 

“Don’t move too much…,” Chanyeol stepped back when he was satisfied with his work. “So do you get his name?”

 

“Um, his name is Oh Sehun!” Eunji sounded so proud. “He moved from America. Seriously Chanyeol, from America! It must mean his English is so good! We should totally befriend him! He would help me work on my English essays!”

 

Chanyeol didn’t respond to any of that, instead he turned around and bid them farewell, promising they would see each other again at work tomorrow. After making sure all of his bandmates and also Junmyeon already walked away, Chanyeol then looked down at Eunji and wondered, “So what are you going to buy for Christmas gifts?”

 

“Oh! Oh!” Eunji followed Chanyeol’s big steps to the nearest bus shelter. It was pretty packed with workers just went home from work, so Chanyeol made sure Eunji was standing inner side, placed his hand over her arm just to let anyone, more likely to possible bad guys, that Eunji has a boyfriend that guards her—or so it may seemed. “I will buy my mom a cooking book—you know she’s been watching that celebrity cook’s show on TV right? My dad is necktie…., what color do you think will match his skin tone? He has so many red already, I’m thinking purple! Haha. Joonyoung-oppa is guitar strings since he doesn’t have money to buy the expensive ones—that brat hmm. Jinwoon-oppa always deserves the best so I’ll buy him a shirt! Minki is happy enough with latest album of AOA and BTS.”

 

Chanyeol positioned Eunji to stand in front of him since the bus has arrived, they waited for their turn to get in and since there was no empty seats, Chanyeol asked Eunji to put away the phone since she needed her hands to hold on to the grab handles more than to hold her phone. She nodded and then did what Chanyeol has suggested. She still talked about the Christmas gifts for Park’s family, and then she stopped when she was about to say what she would get for Chanyeol for Christmas.

 

“I actually have no idea what should I get for you…, since you seem already to have everything. Initially my mom said I should buy you shirt like I did for five times, but you never wear any of them—so I think you dislike them? Should I get you another picture frame with our photograph on? It’s very cheap and I don’t mind to do it this year!” She cackled when Chanyeol gave him a rude look. “Just kidding, so what do you want for Christmas? What should I get for you?”

 

The bus halted at the bus shelter and most the passengers stepped down here. Chanyeol pulled Eunji to the empty seat on the back side, Eunji was cheering because the lights were so beautiful. Eunji was looking out at the window when she found Chanyeol was staring at her. Turning around, she gave Chanyeol a very weird smile. “I caught you staring at me! Ha! So now you admit that I’m actually very charming?”

 

“No. I wasn’t staring at you because I was charmed. I was staring because I think I know what I want to be my Christmas present.” Chanyeol rolled his eyes and Eunji pouted at it.

 

“You are no fun. But fine, what is it?”

 

“Make sure you don’t have anything to do on December 23rd.” Chanyeol said in one breath.

 

“Why?” Eunji seemed confused.

 

“Make sure you write it down on your to-do list and also set an alarm for it.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Let’s meet at Namsan Tower on December 23rd after my shift ends.”

 

“What?” Eunji widened her eyes. “For what Chanyeol? We’ve been there like thousands times already in winter, summer, and fall since we were little. Nothing changed much. And why Namsan? Can’t we just meet at your house or mine?”

 

“This is what I wanted for Christmas.” Chanyeol said resolutely.

 

“Are you sure?” Eunji squinted, trying to make sure Chanyeol was totally into this weird request for Christmas. “No turn-backs okay?” Eunji raised her pinky finger and Chanyeol laughed. “I don’t want you to complain and say weird stuffs because I don’t buy you any Christmas gift later on.”

 

Chanyeol nodded, confirming that he wouldn’t feel sorry for this. “No turn-backs.”  as he reached for Eunji’s pinky and intertwined it with his long one. 

 

 


20.2.2017

how can I even earn so many subs and upvotes already?!

so happy and delighted because there are readers that (still) enjoy ChanJi.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! ♥♥♥