Scent

Write..
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

He heard the footstep that following him from the moment he left the house untill now through his ear that are unplugged by earphone. But he ignores it and kept on walking to his destination. He used to the footsteps by now anyway.

Those step had been following him since five years ago everytime he took his evening walk. He know why they are following him and he simply just let it be. Those footsteps had keep him company anyway so he doesn't feel as lonely. Together with the song they become the background music that fill the empty hole in his heart. 

 

When the night is getting deeper

I think of you and I can't sleep

Am I missing you?

Or am I missing the time back then?

This is already apart of my daily life

 

[7 years ago ]

"Hey!! We meet again!" he felt a warm hand on his shoulder for a few seconds before it retract back to his owner giving him a soft pat on his shoulder. A familiar honey-like voice pass through his ear disturbing his train of thought again. He look up from where the voice came from with furrowed brow.

"I'm.. I'm sorry?" He ask unsure of what the other means. He and the boy is not familiar enough to the point of talking so casually like that. He heard a soft sight from the other.

"I'm the one from yesterday. Sorry bout yesterday though. I know I'm being rude to you. But I just want to be your friend." He kept his mouth shut as doesn't know what he should reply. It's not like everyday someone came to you, suddenly get angry and then came apologize and ask to be friend. Well for some maybe yes, but for Woohyun that is a very rare occasion. The other kids in the neighborhood had label him as unfriendly so they rarely talk to him.

He heard another sight came from the boy after a few second of awkward silence between them.

"I'm Sunggyu anyway. Nice to meet you Woohyun." the boy, Sunggyu said as he took his hand into his to make a handshake. All those time Woohyun had his brow furrowed deeper. But he does not shake off his hand from Sunggyu. He still obediently shake hand with Sunggyu to commerate their so called friendship or that what Sunggyu said he want to be. 

"How do you know my name?" He finally ask the question that make his brow furrowed when Sunggyu let his hand go. He felt warm radiating from his side indicating that Sunggyu had sat beside him on the bench thay met yesterday.

"Oh! I heard it yesterday from your other friend. You know, when he's calling for you he shout it quite loud. I think the whole playground would know your name." Now he felt like killing Hoya for calling him like that yesterday. Because of him, he missed his opportunities to introduce himself now. He just nod as a sign that he understood.

" Why didn't you play with your friends there instead of sitting here and doing particularly nothing?" Sunggyu ask him the question that everyone should know the answer when they knew his disability. Most of people doesn't question his action at all. They afraid of the words blind whenever they were with him  They would avoid saying them as much as possible as if the word is cursed and could never be said. 

"Because I'm blind" he said it as it was the obvious reason to all his misery. For which he thought the truth, his disability is the reason to all his misery. Usually when he said it like that, the other kid would just shut up and does not talk anymore. Some of them does not even talk to him anymore. So he know that the word is taboo it self. 

"So? Why didn't you play with them?" Sunggyu ask again as if the answer was not obvious enough. Which causing Woohyun to furrowed his brow tighter that they almost connected. The ways Sunggyu ask his question seems like being blind is a normal thing that everyone have. So he tried to reason with Sunggyu of how it is not a normal thing. 

"Because I will just be a burden to them all if I play with them. Because I'm blind and they will get bored when they play with me. They will hate me for playing with them because they need to always be cautious around me. They need to care for wether what they play will make it hard for me or is the game fair for me. They will try to put a lot of new rule to accustomed what I lack." He said it!! He kept them too long inside of him. Why did he said it now? Infront of this boy that he doesn't know anything about? Well he just want to reason with him anyway. This boy is being too casual with him. 

"Well then, don't be a burden and play with them." Sunggyu said as it was the easiest thing to do in the world. Is he insane or something??!

"Well how could I'm not being a burden? When I myself was a burden itself??! Can't you get it I'm blind!!" Woohyun had never been this frustrated before. He never need to reason with other people before they always "understand" him when he does not want to play. So his voice become a little high pitched when he stressed the word blind.

"I can't relate. Why being blind has something related to burden. Mind to explain?" This got Woohyun so shock. Is he trying to insult him or something? Making him tell how much a burden he is to the other is not something good is it? But he didn't mind that even though it hurt so much to say it. He didn't mind, because that what he thought who he is, a burden to the others. 

 

I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter