Just A Misunderstanding

The Fused & The Muse

The Fused & The Muse  Ch.10

 

Klausenburg, Romania 
Early 1478

 

Elizabeth walked back into the deeper ends of the forest to take her bow and arrow where she had dropped it. If she'd left it there, her father would've found out where she had been sneaking off to. She looked around in hopes of seeing Kai again—perhaps, to get an explanation of what just happened. She'd heard her father speak of these...creatures…to the knights, but she'd never really seen them up close—not till today. The wind was calmer now and there were no trace of the werewolves ever being there. They covered their tracks well. Elizabeth picked up her weapon and made her way back to the castle. She took her grappling hook from behind one of the potted trees, just outside the castle-wall. She swung the rope three times and threw it up the balcony. She tugged on it a few times, making sure it was secure, before she'd climbed up. She held onto the rope tightly and pulled her weight up. As soon as she reached the balcony, she unhooked it from the rail and bound it up neatly, before hiding it behind a loose stone. 


Elizabeth peeked inside from the balcony. There were still a lot of people present, but perhaps it was a good thing—the easier it was for her to pass through, without getting caught. She sneaked her way around the sea of people and walked up the stairs, making her way to her bedroom. As she carefully walked down the hallways, she was pulled back by someone. She yelped, but her lips was covered quickly. Her body was carried to one of the hallways that was connected to the bigger hallway that she was just on. 


Her heartbeat raised and her eyes grew. Kai pinned her to the wall, with his hand still covering her lips. He lifted his other hand and placed his pointing finger over his lips. "Shh." He waited for her to calm down before letting his hand off . "I know you have a lot of questions right now, but just know that I can't answer them all to you." "What!? What do you mean you can't answer them for me?! Do you know how scared and confused I am?!" Kai sighed and combed his fingers through his dark, silky hair. "Look. I don't know what happened back there. I don't know what I am either...I'd only just found out what I could do." Elizabeth crossed her arms. "Well, what can you do?" Kai leaned in closer to her face. Her heart began to pound like crazy. His face was like porcelain—smooth, and perfectly carved. He stared intently at her eyes, almost losing her at some point. His eyes began to swirl around and change color.


A maid passed by and gasped. She found Kai with his face so close to Elizabeth, who stood still, against the wall, between his strong arms. Kai and Elizabeth stared quickly at her, but she ran away. Kai's eyes returned to normal and Elizabeth breathed out. "Oh no..." Elizabeth began to panic. "What do we do? She might tell someone and it would cause a misunderstanding!" Kai looked back at Elizabeth. "I don't think she would tell anyone. Besides, we have nothing to hide...I mean, not something people would believe..." Elizabeth held a hand over her forehead. "I should go." 


She began to walk out, but Kai held onto her wrist. "Help me..." Elizabeth looked behind her. "Help me figure this all out. Help me find out what I am..." Elizabeth shut her eyes and shook her head. It was probably a bad idea, but she couldn't resist it—getting to learn more about these 'creatures' that she'd been trying to study—and now, she actually had a real subject to study. "Alright...but how will we–" "Meet up?" he continued her question. She nodded her head at him. "We can meet in the forest. Every afternoon, just before the sun goes down. I'll find you." After that, Elizabeth pulled away from him and walked to her room. 


"Elizabeth!? Eli? Where are you?!" Genevieve called out. She walked down the hallways, calling for her sister. Kai walked out of one of the hallways and Genevieve caught sight of him. "Oh? Prince Kai...I didn't expect to see you up here." Kai looked up and saw Genevieve walking towards him. "Princess Genevieve–I was just...umm...I was looking for the men's room. "Oh?" She raised a brow at him. There were plenty downstairs. She pressed her lips together, making them into a thin line. "Have you–perhaps, seen my sister?" Kai cleared his throat. "Who exactly?" Genevieve sighed. "Nevermind...I'll be off then." "I'll see you around sometime, princess." Genevieve blushed. Kai calling her princess felt different from when others said it. Kai bowed to her and walked away. 


As Genevieve walked further into the hallway, she overheard some of the maids talking. "I thought Prince Kai was supposed to marry Princess Genevieve." "That's what I thought too! Until I saw it!" Genevieve furrowed her brows and continued listening. "They were so close together! They were probably kissing before I'd gotten there..." The maid shook her head while the palms of her hands rested on her cheeks. "They looked pretty good together though...but I still feel bad for Princess Genevieve." The other maid sighed. "Well, if it were me, I'd just wish I wasn't Princess Genevieve in the situation." Genevieve hid when she heard the maids walk. She watched them as they walked away. What was that all about? Was that why Prince Kai was up here? Who were they talking about? Who was Prince Kai with? Questions just kept popping up in her mind. It hurt her, hearing them talk about her relationship with Kai that way.


*Knock. Knock. Knock* "Eli? You there?" Genevieve waited for the doorknob to twist. Elizabeth sat on her luxurious bed, knees drawn to her chest. She heard her sister call out from outside her door. Kai's musky smell slightly lingered around her. She could still feel his presence, as if he were still there—standing in front of her. "Eli?" She pulled her knees closer and sighed. Elizabeth stood up and sprayed her own perfume around before heading to the door. "I'm coming." She walked closer to the door and twisted the doorknob to open it. "Eli!" Genevieve beamed as she closed the door behind her. Wendy knocked on the door soon after and they opened the door for her. "Geez! It smells like a bathhouse of your perfume here Eli!" Wendy pinched her nose.


The three girls sat together on top of the large, silky bed to talk. "Prince Kai is so charming!" Wendy bit her lip as she imagined his figure. Genevieve laughed at first, but remembered what she overheard the maids talk about. Elizabeth noticed her sister's sudden change of expression. "Hey, do you girls think Prince Kai is the type of man who would cheat on you if you were together?" Genevieve stared down at her shaking hands. Wendy tilted her head to the side, unsure of where her sister was going with her sudden question. Elizabeth knew what she was talking about, but she didn't want to believe that she knew what her sister was asking. "I don't think Prince Kai is the type. I'm sure he's a reasonable guy," Elizabeth replied to her sister's question, hoping to throw her off the topic. Genevieve sighed and tried to take in what her sister was telling her. It probably was a misunderstanding. The maids didn't know what they were talking about...did they? 


There was a knock on the door and the three girls stood from the bed. Elizabeth walked up to the door and opened it. The maid that saw her and Kai together, stood before her. She stared up at the princess and cleared before beginning. "M'lady, your father and mother would like all three of you to gather to the entranceway. P-Prince Kai is leaving now." Her words stumbled a little, as she mentioned Kai's name. Elizabeth nodded her head and turned to her sisters, who were already walking towards the door. They trailed after each other—their chests up and hands clasped together, resting in front of their stomach. 


As they reached the front, they found Kai standing tall beside his parents. He stared to their direction, as they made their way down the steps before the castle. The three princesses stood beside each other, next to their mother and father. "It was good seeing you, my dear friend. You have lovely daughters. We will meet again soon, I hope." Radu shook King Dominic's hand. "The tight grip of a warrior. You will do well to the kingdom. It's always a pleasure to have you around. You are welcome here–and your family." King Dominic nodded his head—a huge smile plastered on his face. Maria and Isabella hugged. Kai stood in front of the three girls. He bowed to them and they bowed back. "It was a pleasure to meet you all." "And you, Prince Kai," Genevieve spoke. The carriage was parked and the coach awaited as Radu and his family bid one last farewell. They walked in the carriage and the coach struck his whip to the horses. The horses neighed and galloped away, leading the carriage behind them. The three girls watched as the carriage disappeared, out behind the castle walls.

 

 

 

 

"I am trying to make sense of this war inside my head."

~Unknown

pc: rightful owner