Cut 1 • Month Two

Desperate • A Cut Writing Contest • Closed For Month One
 
First cut of the year
Cut 1 • Month Two
 

Nikolai stood by the edge of the balcony and looked down into the water canal below them again before looking at the person on the other side of one of the huge rode that connected the two sides of the Venice. He'd been living here his whole life and loved the same person for so long, to the point where he never dared to imagine that this day would once come. Nikolai could still feel the ruff ends of the brown wooden bucket that hung on the rope through a pulley, and his eyes still found their eye way to the white paper inside the bucket. 

Nikolai looked away from the bucket for a moment and gulped when seeing the person on the other side was mouthing for him to open it. "Edgar," Nikolai suddenly whispered in a dazed voice, knowing that Edgar would never hear him. His heart picked up a pace as he reached his hand into the bucket while biting his lower lip and slowly fluttering his eyes closed. Nikolai's hands searched and searched for the paper until he felt the smoothness of the white paper and picked it up with one hand. He then opened his eyes and let who of the bucket, watching as the wooden bucket slowly swayed away from him then stopped close enough for him to reach when he wanted it. 

Nikolai's eyes flickered open in the light of the night as he was met with a smiling Edgar on the other side. His hands trembled as he slowly placed enough strength in his heart to even look at the paper. But once he looked down at the clear white paper, he felt as if someone was cutting his heart. Horror filled his face when the words on the paper finally came inside his head.

I confessed to Sofia, we're dating now. Nikolai, I love her and she loves me. The note was written in a blue pen, making Nikolai's face turn blue and he started feeling sick. Nikolai felt like he had to suddenly turn to the canal below them and puck in it, but he didn't. His whole body felt torn apart. Tears gradually built in his eyes when they found their way back to Edgar's smiling face. Nikolai felt like ripping that smile right off of Edgar's face and steal him away from Sofia to keep for himself. Nikolai was in love, and it wasn't fair that someone else got the love of Nikolai's life, so he wanted to be selfish and keep Edgar for himself. 

Anger filled his lunges, but then diffused when he noticed that he was just another hopeless star in a sea of stars. The bitterest of a smile appeared on the ends of his mouth, and he wanted to scream his pain out to Edgar. "Y-You love her?" He choked out loud enough for Edgar to hear.

Edgar nodded like a determined child. He had known Nikolai since they were young children and always found the other to be a wonderful friend, the most beautiful and truest of them all. "Yeah!" He yelled back in what was only his excitement. "And I'm so happy!"

Those words passed through Nikolai's ears, and they never stuck. He didn't want Edgar to be happy, he was selfish. Nikolai's eyes made their way down to the different colored water of the canal. Nikolai stared down at his broken reflection in the water and the full moon behind him. The bitter smile disappeared from his face and was replaced with a small frown as he still tightly held the white paper in his hands. "Edgar," he said the name that was always on the tip of his tongue loud enough for the other to hear. Edgar simply hummed back in response, his eyes hazel ones trying to find Nikolai's bright blue ones. "I," Nikolai paused and took a deep breath. "I really really love you," he finally looked up into Edgar's eyes, finding that the other was shocked, but it didn't compare to the feeling in Nikolai's heart. "More than you love Sofia. I've loved you my whole life and nothing could ever compare to this love."

A/N: Hi!! This is seriously the first cut of this year since last year I became busy and had no time after christmas, so please forgive me. I wrote this little cut because I was really in the mood to continue this, and more will be coming up in the next few days. As you all can see, this cut is boyxboy, so you can change the names or the genders. I wanted this to be angst, most will be angst. I tried intense scenery in this one and the five senses, so please stick to that. The Nikolai guy can be changed into a girl and the Edgar guy can stay a guy. The girl, Sofia have her name changed too, as you'd like. Nothing else can be changed though, oh wait, you can change the eye colors too. So, thats all that you can change in this cut and thank you for reading.